Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights OC: total garbage or victim of hype?

I couldn't google any thread on this newer than like 10 years ago, so starting a new one, but feel free to append to an existing thread I might have missed. I wanted to finally play through Mask of the Betrayer, but being an OCD completionist :(, decided to play the entire series. I've played these games (NWN, NWN2) before, but a long time ago, so the experience is pretty fresh.

When I started playing NWN, the same thing happened as when it first came out, I was shocked by how much worse it is than the BG series, its predecessor. Relatively interesting storylines got replaced with absolute drivel (Ok, we are all tired of some random farmhand coming along and saving the kingdom, but in NWN's case, facing grave danger, the kingdom starts up an academy for random farmhands! WTF?). The beautiful 2D maps of the Infinity Engine replaced by early generaton bland 3D ugliness along with terrible controls that fight you the entire way, and a soulless interface to boot. Combat became less tactical with the removal of parties, and so on and so forth.

However, as I forced myself to keep playing it, eventually I got used to the downgrades, and realized that some parts of the game improve, while some are actually decent to begin with. While the combat is worse than in the IE games, it's actually still pretty decent compared to the average RPG out there, especially if you go the spellcaster path. You've got tons of spells, abilities, feats, and skills, and a fairly complex overall system. Even melee characters get more love than in IE with the newer rules and getting extra abilities and feats, so they don't have to just auto-attack all the time. Encounter design isn't great, but you got your standard RPG mix of easier trashy mobs and occassional tougher boss-type mobs. If you man up and go solo (which is what I am doing), it's also fairly challenging.

Character development, which is mostly about the combat, is also pretty solid. Gaining each level feel great and there is a lot of stuff to experiment with, like optional feats, skill point distribution, spell selection, and so on. The thing is, so far (I am about midway through the OC), the writing has also picked up from its abysmal beginning. Don't get me wrong, no one will confuse this for PS:T, but after the retarded beginning, the quality of storylines and dialogue is actually average rather than bang-your-head-against-wall-bad that it was in the beginning. Loot itemization is also fairly good, with lots of items available both from adventuring and exploration and from shops, but with high prices and cool lore-based descriptions.

So I am wondering, is NWN OC really that bad, or is it a victim of high expectations that come from following BG2 and its terrible beginning?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It is terrible, and it also a victim of high expectations. The HYPE machine they created for it was heralding it as the JEBUS CHRISTMAS of AREEPEEGEE gameing!!!111!! And it wasn't.

The editor (at the time) was pretty damn cool.

pippin

The hype was built around multiplayer, not really about single player. The earliest trailers highlighted internet DMing as the "nextgen" DnD experience, while magazine previews at the time also said this was a very positive aspect of the game (which proved true in the end). I think many people wanted it to be BG3, but that doesn't excuse the overall downgrade on everything, even writing.

nomask7

Arcane
I like the NWN soundtrack better than the BG. The game has some nice moody areas partly as a consequence of that. I also like the graphics, because they're not so realistic that every little imperfection would bother you. The graphics work, and the art direction and level design can contribute to the atmosphere of an area.

I've only done one quick playthrough though in addition to two aborted beginnings, so I mostly just noticed and played it for the mood and story. Story didn't do anything much for me, but in all honesty neither did BG2 story. I did enjoy the Baldur's Gate games more when they came out, but a recent aborted playthrough of BG just made the game feel meh.

Hordes of the Underdark is where these games become good. I think it's probably the highpoint of the series, especially if you play without the map for enhanced atmosphere and challenge.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
For me, NWN1 OC was total and complete bullshit. It was Diablo with dnd rules. Loved the expansions though, especially at a time of quality rpg drought.

Everyone seems to hate on NWN2 OC, but I didnt mind it. It was somewhat lighthearted and cheesey compared to the other games, (think some of the tone of the Divinity games mixed with BG/nwn)

but ive still never played Mask of the Betrayer. I still have a savegame from two hours in, all ready to load up again, someday...but i got so burned out on nwn after the oc, zehir, and numerous modules, that I just never got around to it and never realized it had such a hardcore following.

and i dug the combat though i always play a spellcaster anyway, and had few gripes with the interface or graphics other than camera, and at the time that was just something you put up with. but the encounter design and enemies sucked so bad the combat in nwn1 oc just had potential to be fun without actually delivering, and the story sure as shit didnt make up for it with a gripping narrative or setting.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So I am wondering, is NWN OC really that bad, or is it a victim of high expectations that come from following BG2 and its terrible beginning?
The story was awful but it isn't that BG 2 was high literature, the graphix were early 3d but at the time were considerated good even if they didn't age well. The worst decision was not going full party on single player. The major problem of NWN 1 was that the combat was arranged taking in consideraton a single character and single character combat on an DnD round based game is kinda shitty. NWN 1 OC was an obvious after thought and didn't get much attention from Bioware, NWN was mostly a multiplayer game and not a BG sequel. I didn't follow the hype at that time but if Bioware sold NWN 1 OC as a sequel to BG 2, that was massive fake advertisement.

NWN 2 OC was a much worse disappointment. Obsidian was supposed to fix the worst problems of NWN 1(no party and no focus on single player) and release a NWN game as a proper IE follow up but they still managed to fuck up so bad that if it wasn't for mostly MotB and SoZ, nothing salvageable would come from that mess.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't listen to these morans, there is only 1 persona round here qualified to give you a decent opinion on NWNOC. r00fles!

Morkar Left

I was disappointed. I already knew that it wasn't party-based and that the focus was on multiplayer. I would have preferred a party-based single player rpg but I wasn't expecting it. But I didn't expect too that the OC would be shit and that the one companion didn't even have an inventory. Resting was shit, too. The multiplayer-part and the editor on the other hand were really cool. All in all Bioware still succeeded with what they wanted to do in the first place - a D&D multiplayer experience similar to a tabletop game. The addons actually were decent and enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
OC is garbage same as NWN1 OC.

Both have some interesting themes overall but they are devaluated by METRIC SHIT TON OF TRASH MOB FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
In other worlds encounter design is what made them really bad games.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
And according to him, it is the single greatest cRPG ever made by Mankind.
Stop teh lies, start the truths!

Volourn rated NWN1 OC "only" 75%.

R00fles!

(That is, before professional game journalism took flight and scores stated getting really inflated.)

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Pippin is right about multiplayer. I dimly remember it being promoted as multiplayer-only and was surprised that it had a single player campaign at all, which meant that my expectations were fairly low. Given that, and the fact that I got it cheap, I quite enjoyed it. :P But I wouldn't for a moment defend it as some great work of genius.

Zeronet

Learned
I appreciate NWN for giving me the chance to work on module building for a PW server which had a few hundred players nonconcurrently (averaged about 30 online). Had a fairly good editor, the dialogue system could let you check for lots of options allowing you to create pretty fallouty dialogue trees.

There are some pretty good modules out there for it. Fate of the City was particular cool.

anyone getting hyped about nwn single player campaign in 2002 was either retarded or fucking blind. literally no one should have expected bg3 from those trailers and previews. it was all about "next level" gaming experience a.k.a online shit

also the THRUTH:

MOTB>HOTU>FUCKTON OF MODULES(WITCHES WAKE ETC.)>NWN1 OC>SOU>NWN2 OC>SOZZZZZZZ

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
NWN1 OC>SOU>NWN2 OC>SOZZZZZZZ
himZD0M.gif

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Character development, which is mostly about the combat, is also pretty solid. Gaining each level feel great and there is a lot of stuff to experiment with, like optional feats, skill point distribution, spell selection, and so on.

Yeah, it's cool but it has got nothing to do with the OC. The same character development is in any NWN module/campaign. While NWN OC is not objectively the shittiest thing I've ever played, it is one of the most boring ones and looks like it's a result of "we've gotta develop a 25 hour RPG in 6 months" mindset.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Campaign was piece of garbage and only included as preview module; what is great is editor and tons of user made content from DwR to Wyvern Crown of Cormyr the cool and short aspiring Knight Role Play module with Jousting simulator on top.

IQnas

Barely Literate
it's the same thing as will all other "oldschool" games

if you played it during your childhood or teenage years you would probably loved it and like it to this day due to childhood nostalgia. You would be charmed by simplistic story and characters and exited about primitive combat mechanics, but when you grow older, more mature and smarter the characters, story and writing seemed flat, one dimensional and uninspiring, and combat seems like a boring waste of time

older games like fallout are praised and neverwinter nights are hated for a reason, fallout and other well-received games were released in late 1990 and earlier and neverwinter nights was released in 2002. Not saying they are bad games though

Terpsichore

Arcane
Why is MotB so overrated? It was just super edgy epic level popapole, NWN2 OC was more enjoyable.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And according to him, it is the single greatest cRPG ever made by Mankind.

It certainly was the best toolset made at that time. That was where the hype was for me.. I didn't even play the game when I bought it - I immediately fired up the toolset.

I always enjoyed the first act of the OC.. Especially the docks.. other then that though, it's pretty fucking shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom