Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Napoleon Total War

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
With Empire still a pile of unoptimised shit CA now have decided to reveal the first true expansion. There is a preview in a French magazine and it was acknowledged on the Total War forum. I'm pretty happy about this as the last few TW games only fully reached their potential with at least a few patches and an expansion released. Not to mention that the Napoleonitic era was awesome.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/53 ... tml?page=4

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/61 ... l-War.html

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthre ... 1&page=203

pcjeux_napoleontotalwar_1-f632b0d649.jpg

pcjeux_napoleontotalwar_2-dd9052fb45.jpg

pcjeux_napoleontotalwar_3-9a45888362.jpg

pcjeux_napoleontotalwar_4-5abee26576.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Guns pretty much ruined TW. Instead of maneouvres you now have two armies not moving anywhere, just shooting at each other or using the exactly same units in a pretty chaotic looking melee. Wrong era for such game I guess.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Bull. What's wrong with the game is how unfinished and unpolished it is. The battles themselves are as cool as ever. Nothing inherently wrong for a game with the era or the way battles used to be fought back then.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Screenshots look like they cut out pictures and pasted them togetther or something. lol

The battles in E:TW had plenty of tactical depth. I don't think the guns have in any way ruined the game. That being said, they need to release modding tools already because I'm tired of waiting for them to finish their game.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Looks damn sweet, though I don't know anyone who wasn't totally expecting this as the expansion. Either way, it looks like the perfect expansion for what I found to be the best the series has been since its switch to 3d, bugs aside.

-also, at least we'll now have two fully realised factions, with the French joining the English from the first game.

Deleted member 7219

I'm looking forward to this. The Napoleonic Wars were great. Anyone who's interested in that era should check out the TV series Sharpe and Hornblower.

I just hope there's a War of 1812 campaign too... I want to burn down the White House.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I played E:TW for a few days and then uninstalled it.

I found 3 main problems with it:
- Pathfinding and AI. Instead of improving it became worse.
- Optimisation. It looked and woked like shit on my old PC, while M:TW2 had no problems.

-
hamsterrussiasucks.gif

They gave Russia weak units. Russian line infantry weaker than polish, turkish and indian? Lol. Brits should keep their historical butthurts away from videogames.
It's not even clear what exactly they are so butthurt about...

Erebus

Arcane
deshields538 said:
My French is really rusty now, anyone willing to be a productive member and translate the pages?

I'll be a lazy productive member and only summarize what seems to be interesting :

- The game will be divided into three campaigns : Italy ; South/Egypt ; Russia.

- Historical factors such as the extreme cold and the scorched earth policy in Russia will be taken into account.

- There will be naval battles (at least Trafalgar, during which you can play under Nelson or against him).

- The last battle of the game will be Waterloo.

- Diplomacy and military or commercial treaties will have an important impact. This aspect of the game should be more developed than it was before.

- teh graphicz wil be AWZOM !!1!

- What happens in the game won't be completely bound by what happened in reality.

- The game will add quite a few options for the multiplayer mode (design your own uniforms, give vocal commands...).

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Erebus said:
deshields538 said:
- Historical factors such as the extreme cold and the scorched earth policy in Russia will be taken into account.
:lol: Western favourite excuse for any pathetic defeat .
They should also not forget about extreme heat in Russia and extremely ferocious lice in Russia.

Korgan

Arbiter
They should've ditched real history and went grimdark sword and sorcery about 2 titles ago. Don't all those LOTR mods give CA a clue?

dragonfk

Erudite
Hamster said:
Erebus said:
deshields538 said:
:lol: Western favourite excuse for any pathetic defeat .
They should also not forget about extreme heat in Russia and extremely ferocious lice in Russia.

Not only winter was a major factor in Napoleon defeat, but also you won only because your strategy was planned by Scotsman not a native Russian.

Napoleon lost because he didn't decide to lay off his plans of conquering Russia in one year. Should he have decided to plan the campaign for few years he would have won. Also I came to believe that he made a mistake in taking such a large army. Also he should have ended his campaign in Spain before venturing into Russia.

The army he took with himself was a conglomeration of nations without interest in Napoleon triumph. Only faithful and organized soldiers were French(because they loved Napoleon) and Poles(because we fought for regaining our country). And taking numbers from my memory Napoleonic Army(Grand Army) counted something over half a million of soldiers. 100k Poles and 270k French, the rest was not so faithful Italians, Belgians, Germans, etc. It is also worth noting that the fiercest and most experienced French soldiers were in the mean time involved in Spain.

So don't be so proud and blind to say you won with Napoleon by yourselves.Napoleon errors, harsh winter, to large area of war operations for these times, support from England(every war you waged with France at that time was financed by London), persistent guerilla war in Spain, treacherous Talleyrand(and other russian agents), all of them contributed to a very sad end of Napoleons and in particular ours(polish) ambitions(freedom).

As for lice and other bugs I've heard you have a major problem with them in Russia. Specially those electrical ones.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Erebus said:
- The last battle of the game will be Waterloo.
Eh, so it's one of those "scripted campaigns" instead of being traditionally free form? Not good.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There's even some hassle at the twcentre forums that the article says this is a stand-alone expansion and as such wouldn't even need Empire. Pissing off a lot of people, understandably. However with my rather shitty French I can't really find any mention of that in the article.

EDIT: CA have after deleting a long angry thread about it on their forums posted that patch 1.4 is in development and that they will keep on producing content for Empire. Which sounds a bit vague regarding any follow up patching after 1.4. Then again CA public relations is and has always been terrible, not to mention their previously nearly non existant continuing product support. We'll see.

L'ennui

Magister
The article does not even refer to N:TW as an expansion, actually. It treats it as a full new title in the TW series.

"(...) The Creative Assembly, the developping team that, since 2000, is presenting us with regular new entries to it's Total War series. The next one, Napoleon: Total War, should be something different (...)"

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
all of them contributed to a very sad end of Napoleons and in particular ours(polish) ambitions(freedom).
I was not even aware this a major cause of butthurt in Poland. :)

dragonfk said:
Not only winter was a major factor in Napoleon defeat

Educate yourself:

General of Cavalry Denis Davidov writing in 1814 noted that the winters during campaigns in 1795 and 1807 were far colder, but failed to prevent French operations and victories. Also, for much of the period of retreat the temperature did not drop below 10 °С, and even at its coldest during November in Vilno the recorded temperatures were on the 13th (-8 °С), 14th (-9.2 °С) and 15th (-6.5 °С). In fact the severe cold temperatures that are often referred to and depicted on paintings did not occur until after the French retreat crossed the Neman River.[48] Davidov and other Russian campaign participants record wholesale surrender of starving members of the Grande Armée well before the onset of frosts amid eyewitness reports of cannibalism, and point to the breakdown in French logistics, and constant harassment of the French army by Russian forces as the primary reasons for their losses during the retreat.
General Winter did not participate in that campaign, sorry.

, but also you won only because your strategy was planned by Scotsman not a native Russian.
What kind of lame argument is that?

Napoleon lost because he didn't decide to lay off his plans of conquering Russia in one year. Should he have decided to plan the campaign for few years he would have won. Also I came to believe that he made a mistake in taking such a large army.
Wait a minute, that sounds like that thing western historians write about russian army all the time: incompetent command, bad planning and logistics. Somehow when it happens in Russia it is considered a weakness, but when it happenes with France it is a legitimate excuse for a defeat. :)

support from England(every war you waged with France at that time was financed by London), persistent guerilla war in Spain,

Oh, those nasty brits ans spaniards, how could they!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom