Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Did you play MHRise on switch with joycons?. I've played it with the pro controller and I feel like is the only way.
I played both ways and pro controller is a must, but joycons were never good with heavy action games.

Perkel

Arcane
random string of thought:

Seems like MHR is only MH game in which you can actually collect all gear for your character. In all other mh games you would run out easily out of inventory space. For example World has more gear total but gives you like 5x5 x 80 pages. Meanwhile Rise gives you 5x10 x 90.

Currently still in low rank trying to get all gear. Pretty much finished with up to 3 star i need only few more hammers whole lance and some gunlances.

I really like how they reworked HBG in here. In previous games HBG was always in this ankward place where additional damage barely was worth reduced movement. But now HBG unlike LBG has charge mechanic much like hammers and greatswords for pretty much all ammo. Not only HBG does by default more damage with same ammo but also due to this charge mechanic it is way more conservative with ammo. Wyvern fire also receives that charge mechanic and fully charged gives obscene amount of damage.

I don't understand clusters though. Arc ones barely do any damage more than normal shot and new type of clustermechanic where it is shot straight forward doesn't really make it much different. Previously cluster munition would do obscene amount of damage if you could pin monster in same place for a while.

On switch i pretty much speedrun whole game with lance but now that i am playing it on PC i test other stuff i start to see other fun stuff like that HBG rework.

Silkbinds are even more overpowered than i thought off. Especially with something like Hunting Horn where for 1 silkbind you can get like 150 damage on monster and constantly spam it. The whole mechanic of HH doesn't even have enough damage to be worthwile compared to spaming silkbind skill.

Early game is definitely overrepresented with trash monsters. Almost Generations level of trash early game. I really hope that for World 2 they will rework how early game and in general game is designed. I don't see reason for 3 tiered system low/high/grank repeating same monsters 3 times. I would love to see much shorter system in which you go from low rank to g rank without those tiers. On other hand if they want to have trash monsters they should be completely optional to hunt in wild much like they did that stuff for monster hunter world demo where every other monster was optional.

I fucking hate wyverriding so fucking much. It completely destroys pacing and it is not optional the moment you dish any damage to monster you get into automount which is infuriating. It is pretty nifty idea but it should not be completely forced on you. IT should be some kind of gear skill instead like mounter or something.

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
I fucking hate wyverriding so fucking much. It completely destroys pacing and it is not optional the moment you dish any damage to monster you get into automount which is infuriating. It is pretty nifty idea but it should not be completely forced on you. IT should be some kind of gear skill instead like mounter or something.
They added an option with Sunbreak to change how wyvern ridding works, but is not on by default, got to go to options to change it. I don't know if base Rise has it too with the last update or you need to buy Sunbreak though

somerandomdude

Learned
I'll be disappointed if we don't get at least 1 decent cross-over monster in Sunbreak. They could give us something out of Dragon's Dogma, and simultaneously promote Dragon's Dogma 2. I think the Gazer (Floating Eye demon) would be something cool and unique to add into a Monster Hunter game, and I think they could make it into a good fight.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't see reason for crossover. DD is DD and MH is MH.

Bahemoth already was shit and didn't fit MH.

Rafidur

Learned
There's so many IPs they could crossover with. Imagine carving a Snorlax for parts!

I sort of enjoyed MH:W but I found I kinda got bored of it after a bit. Is rise a lot different from world? I kind of get the impression it's extremely similar, so its hard to justify the price tag of a new game, but maybe I'm just not seeing something.

Perkel

Arcane
I sort of enjoyed MH:W but I found I kinda got bored of it after a bit. Is rise a lot different from world? I kind of get the impression it's extremely similar, so its hard to justify the price tag of a new game, but maybe I'm just not seeing something.

There is demo on steam you can try and see if you like it.

Well it depends on why you were bored. If you are nippon fag then it might be something up your alley with japanese theme. If you just don't like combat then there is nothing really here different other than some small changes.

There is demo on steam you can try and see if you like it.

Well it depends on why you were bored. If you are nippon fag then it might be something up your alley with japanese theme. If you just don't like combat then there is nothing really here different other than some small changes.
Eh, not a japanophile, not that I mind, but it certainly isn't a selling point to me. I enjoy the combat for sure. I guess MH:W just seemed like a lot of fighting the same enemies, although maybe that was just down to me trying to get upgrades or what have you.

Are there any new and exciting weapons in rise? I mostly played with the charge blade and switch axe because they seemed like the deepest weapons with potential to do a lot of damage if used skillfully. I messed around with the gunlance a little but it seemed kinda silly.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The pacing of MH:W full of gated cinematics and chores involving to follow an NPC or sniff some randomly generated footprints over and over until the monster is unlocked quite hampers the motivation to progress the way up to the game's best monster fights, which reach its climax with Alatreon and Fatalis: the greatest fights of the whole series and p. much my reason to spend over +200 hours on the whole game.

SumDrunkGuy

Lord help me. I will never understand what it is that people see in these god forsaken games. It's just endless grinding and mindlessly hacking away at these ridiculously damage spongey creatures for HUNDREDS of hours. The Monster Hunter franchise is the very definition of insanity.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I've been following the series' community off and on since World came out and as far as I can tell, the payoff for grinding the same monsters for hours on end and bit by bit perfecting your weapon / armor / skill setup is the catharsis of kicking people from co-op games who haven't done the same.

SumDrunkGuy

So who want to play Monster Hunter with me? PM me your friend codes. I might play some this weekend.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS CAME OUT ON FAGPASS

LIKE THE MHW PRETTY MUCH

THESE FAGGY JAP GAMES JUST ENTHRALLL ME

BROS I GUESS IT IS AS GOOD BUT EVERYTHING JUST SEEMS SMALLER IN SCOPE

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LIKE THE MHW PRETTY MUCH
On Xbox or PC?.

This is why I mostly dislike about mhrise. Seeing through all the flashy attacks and glitter, combat revolves around reactive gameplay. If there's something that mh combat is set apart from soulsbourne, is the emphasis of good positioning and measure the risks of performing an attack move given the situation: the more damaging is the move the more commitment u just had to put for it, so everything in the weapons moveset was useable given circumstances. Now in rice everything is using the same meta attack moves over and over, because counterstrike and high iframing silkbind skills exist.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
LIKE THE MHW PRETTY MUCH
On Xbox or PC?.

This is why I mostly dislike about mhrise. Seeing through all the flashy attacks and glitter, combat revolves around reactive gameplay. If there's something that mh combat is set apart from soulsbourne, is the emphasis of good positioning and measure the risks of performing an attack move given the situation: the more damaging is the move the more commitment u just had to put for it, so everything in the weapons moveset was useable given circumstances. Now in rice everything is using the same meta attack moves over and over, because counterstrike and high iframing silkbind skills exist.

Agree. MH4U was the best MH, the only problem it has is the 3Ds hardware limitation, so the maps were a little basic, and the slow animations for harvesting materials.

Also tower defense in Rise is messy.

WhiteShark

Learned
Yeah, I've played FU, 4U, and I'm currently on 3U. World already looked like decline to me. Not looking forward to the later entries.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
BROS I GUESS IT IS AS GOOD BUT EVERYTHING JUST SEEMS SMALLER IN SCOPE
Your intuition is correct. MH Rise is made by the portable team. They focus on smaller scoped MHs (ignoring MH Gen). There will be another bombastic MH by the team who made World soon enough.

Spam

Novice
Anyone looking to pair up from time to time on switch?

I progressed some fair amount through sunbreak, used to play with a bro but he gave up (to play fifa 23 FUT, of all things...). Don't mind helping out with earlier stuff, I'll try new weapons to make use of the coop - played some GS and GL too. Playing charge blade primarily, I go to break parts/cut tails asap. I don't mind sloppy players as long as it's not to the point of carting on the regular

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom