Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Elttharion

Learned

Velkhana and Risen Crimson Glow Valstrax coming soon. Kinda disappointing to be honest. Would much rather see Amatsu or one of the older elder dragons, even Nergi is a more interesting fight imo. Oh well. OTOH Velkhana battle OST is great so its cool to hear it again.

I've been playing MHR with a friend, are Hub monsters supposed to be this HP bloated? Stuff that takes me 3 minutes to kill on village quests takes 15+ to kill with the duo. It feels like they have at least 3x the HP. It might just be that the other guy sucks (he plays as heavy bowgun and isn't the best player), but even still...

Elttharion

Learned
I've been playing MHR with a friend, are Hub monsters supposed to be this HP bloated? Stuff that takes me 3 minutes to kill on village quests takes 15+ to kill with the duo. It feels like they have at least 3x the HP. It might just be that the other guy sucks (he plays as heavy bowgun and isn't the best player), but even still...
Village is actually considered a large tutorial for the game while Hub is the default. Its not that Hub is bloated, its that village cuts the HP of the monsters in less than half, IIRC. 15 minutes is an okaish time considering duo scaling and that your friend is not a very good player. You should try to check if he is upgrading his gear and playing properly tho, as you should be pushing for at least around 10 minutes clear times.

Yeah he's been upgrading his gear etc, we just meat Magnamalo and it was a huge difficulty spike for him. Dude just couldn't wiredash out of the way of his enraged attacks at all and we carted maybe 10 times. Only way we got through it was me capturing solo after he died twice.

I've never played the bowgun but I suspect he has a lot of trouble landing shots, feels like he does no damage at all. I'm playing w/ a greatsword.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
Yeah he's been upgrading his gear etc, we just meat Magnamalo and it was a huge difficulty spike for him. Dude just couldn't wiredash out of the way of his enraged attacks at all and we carted maybe 10 times. Only way we got through it was me capturing solo after he died twice.

I've never played the bowgun but I suspect he has a lot of trouble landing shots, feels like he does no damage at all. I'm playing w/ a
The bowguns basically turn the game into a third person shooter, maybe he has a problem aiming while the monster is moving? He could switch to the light bowgun for more mobility or even try something like hammer since its a quite simple weapon.

I think he has a problem with mobility yeah, I'll try playing a bit with the HBG to give him some pointers.

I've installed Coavins damage and DPS overlay to see my impression that he does zero damage is correct. Nice to have an actual gauge.

Perkel

Arcane
solo multiplayer (4x hp and harder) was always and will be the default monster hunter experience for me.
Village quests were and always will be tutorials aka easy mode for noobs.

Imho MHW scaling of quests was one of mistakes along with iron/bone weapon thing.

After playing MHR for a couple of weeks I went back to MHW and the difference is very significant.

Most importantly, I think wirebugs, while they look cool and feel nice to use, were a mistake. It transforms the pace of the game too much and you can get out of too many shitty situations by simply wiredashing away for zero effort.

I don't think streamlining certain aspects of the gameplay is necessarily a bad thing (certainly the multiplayer structure is way better in Rise), but MHW feels like a much better constructed game. The story aspects and forced cutscenes are shit (though I'd say not as shit as Rampages in MHR), but the levels themselves are incomparably better and traversal is vastly superior because you can't just wiredash everywhere. Vertical space matters a lot more. Of course, everything looks way better, I wouldn't say it's shocking because MHR is obviously a portable game but the difference between a 5 year old game and it is really kind of staggering.

I think the design of monsters in the future will veer more and more towards aggressiveness and more bullshit because of wiredashing. Sort of like how From resorted to extreme measures to fight against degenerate roll spam, resulting in every single boss having a billion delayed attacks and helicopter patterns. It made the games worse, not better.

The wirebug thing is certainly an interesting design problem. Looking forward to see how Capcom solves it in the next mainline entry. They can't simply remove it entirely because now it's been so integrated into the weapon movesets (and some wiredash skills are really cool).

I prefer the World style for sure. The weapons look lame, but that's easily fixable. Going back to it is like playing a sequel that's better in almost every way that I care about, which is weird because I do like some of the Rise gameplay elements, and the original monsters in it are very cool.

I'm about MR 60 in Sunbreak and I think I'm done. Lategame is dominated by an incredibly lazy grind (Anomaly investigations), you basically fight the exact same monsters yet again but covered in purple sprinkles ad infinitum to grind for tokens to upgrade your gear to fight the next arbitrary Urgent Quest monster that gets released through game updates. No thanks.

My favourite fights were probably Velkhana, Furious Rajang and Chaotic Gore Magala.

I played around 200 hours overall, it was worth the price for sure and I had some fun. Played most of the way co-op too.

Perkel

Arcane
The wirebug thing is certainly an interesting design problem. Looking forward to see how Capcom solves it in the next mainline entry. They can't simply remove it entirely because now it's been so integrated into the weapon movesets (and some wiredash skills are really cool).

It's not. MH devs often play with mechanics and they can remove whole mechanics from game to game. Like water combat in MH3 not returning for later games. wirebug attacks were also more or less taken from mh generations where they experimented with extra attacks but they did not return for mhw.

Usually portable titles where experimentation happens while mainline games are more focused on core aspects.

Either way MH6 should come out next year probably around spring maybe earlier.

somerandomdude

Learned
I think this really says it all right here about which of these 2 games is going to sustain a higher player base long term.

MH.jpg

somerandomdude

Learned
I've installed Coavins damage and DPS overlay to see my impression that he does zero damage is correct. Nice to have an actual gauge.
If he's doing zero damage with a bowgun, then he's going about it all wrong. It's possible to go disastrously wrong on weapon and ammo choice with either bowgun type. Early in the game for LBG, guns with rapid fire normal 2, or guns that shoot normal 3 with lowest recoil/fastest reload are the way to go. For HBG, early game is dominated by normal 3 ammo. There's guides out there that recommend which bowguns are good for progressing through the story. HBG can hold their ground with the counter shot move on big attacks that only hit once (Rajang's beam attack, Mizu's spinning or sliding beam, etc), and getting 1 or 2 points in evade extender really helps a lot with moving out of the way of attacks. Counter shot is better replaced with counter charge later on.

Also, the MHR damage meter is less accurate than world's counterpart. I've seen damage numbers vary wildly between 2 people who're both using the same meter. I've seen it off by as much 10,000 damage or more against late game monsters. There was never any inconsistency in the numbers in World because the game had a hidden damage counter and all overlays did was use the game's hidden counter, there is no such hidden counter in rise, it's a general estimation at best, which can be off by quite a bit depending on factors like latency and desynch.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
I havent into sb yet but It shows truly the complaints about boring endgame are now backed up by numbers. Im wondering whether the upcoming last update would actually revert this tendency.
Iceborne is just overall better, and the numbers suggest as much. I wouldn't expect the last title update to change that. Rise will see an expected boost in activity shortly after the new title update, same as always, but I wouldn't expect it to last.

The overall problem with Rise is that every weapon has an easy get out of jail free card on a quick trigger, which made the game heavily weighted towards reaction based play more than any MH game has. I get that some people like that, but that's not really Monster Hunter.

gamerguy

Educated
Did they ever put the expansion on a cart or is it still just a digital code?

If I could buy an exp. cart and play with another local switch with the old cart, I'd bite... I really enjoyed MH:R quite a lot.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I havent into sb yet but It shows truly the complaints about boring endgame are now backed up by numbers. Im wondering whether the upcoming last update would actually revert this tendency.
The overall problem with Rise is that every weapon has an easy get out of jail free card on a quick trigger, which made the game heavily weighted towards reaction based play more than any MH game has. I get that some people like that, but that's not really Monster Hunter.
It's not that different from MHG/U which is what the Rise team worked on previously. Arts and styles provided all kinds of iframe abusing abilities and maneuvers.

Last edited:
I think this really says it all right here about which of these 2 games is going to sustain a higher player base long term.

MH.jpg

They probably don’t have a long term. At least not much more of a longer term anyways. The next big Monster Hunter game could be coming out next year. Could even be early next year. Maybe they’ll show something during the Not-E3 event in June.

somerandomdude

Learned
So I booted the game up after a long hiatus to fight Amatsu, and it's a massively overrated fight, IMO. Videos hyping it up as one of the best fights in MH history, nigger please.....It wasn't even as good of a fight as Alatreon in Iceborne. I got triple-tripled (9 carts) by Iceborne Alatreon before I beat it, and Amatsu went down on my first try with no carts. Given that I was using older gear sets that didn't incorporate the new stuff added since I quit playing, I wasn't using anything close to an OP set, no qurios. Also, I did Risen Valstrax and Risen Shagaru Magala because I figured those were the 2 toughest ones, carted once to each of them, but I think that had more to do with me shaking the cob webs off. I haven't done anomalies, and I refuse to grind those, but if I grinded my gear up and improved my sets, I don't see how they'd be any tougher than the stuff I already beat using what I have now, so why bother?

Shurakan

Novice
And added a new DRM, Enigma, in its place. They didn't indicate anywhere that they did it or were planning to. The community suspected it due to other Capcom games and had to datamine to confirm it.

Prominent modder has stated it presents no barrier to modding, but in other games people have reported worse performance after the new DRM. It's caused quite the stir. I stopped my Monster Hunters from updating so I can't confirm or deny any performance changes.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
So I booted the game up after a long hiatus to fight Amatsu, and it's a massively overrated fight, IMO. Videos hyping it up as one of the best fights in MH history, nigger please.....It wasn't even as good of a fight as Alatreon in Iceborne. I got triple-tripled (9 carts) by Iceborne Alatreon before I beat it, and Amatsu went down on my first try with no carts. Given that I was using older gear sets that didn't incorporate the new stuff added since I quit playing, I wasn't using anything close to an OP set, no qurios. Also, I did Risen Valstrax and Risen Shagaru Magala because I figured those were the 2 toughest ones, carted once to each of them, but I think that had more to do with me shaking the cob webs off. I haven't done anomalies, and I refuse to grind those, but if I grinded my gear up and improved my sets, I don't see how they'd be any tougher than the stuff I already beat using what I have now, so why bother?
What even defines a good fight in monster hunter any way? Odogaron is one of my favourites because he plays really well into Dual blades and you're constantly attacking/dodging. While a lot of the popular ones seem to be big things you hit in the ankles until they flop over. Monster hunters best fights seem to be early on when you're fighting smaller creatures and you're constantly moving and so are they.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom