Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Jinn

Arcane
Went awesome for the hour I got to play it before I had to go to sleep in preparation for work. Now, off to work I go...

Very excited to get off and play more though. Loved the first fight with Diamyo. Really fun solo with some nice surprises in his movements and attacks. Got to Elgado, got to talk to a few NPCs and browse some of the new pieces at the blacksmith, then had to force myself to stop.

SumDrunkGuy

Looks like a shittier version of World, and World was kind of a shit game to begin with. World at least had it's charms and was a bit of a looker. This thing looks like a early era PS3 game. Am I missing something? The framerate is also horrendous my god.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sunbreak is out. How is everyone doing in it? I got my first Master Rank weapon!
I'll join in a couple months later. Regardless, I want to find out if It got substantially harder now.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I want to find out if It got substantially harder now.
I am still early on but fighting the same monsters in base game but on G-Rank is more fun than their base counterparts, however it is still not challenging. Keep in mind I am MR2. Monster react much faster and you have to take their rage state more seriously. I am using the Greatsword moveset for speed and it lets me chip away for hundreds of points of damage very quickly, so it rewards aggressive play that is smart.

The game has yet to become difficult though. I truly hope the difficulty shoots straight up that I end up carting many times!

Zerth

Arbiter
Im hoping for rise Shogun Ceanataur to be a carting wall for the average player.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
At least there's no Icebornian massive HP inflation when you go from HR to MR. Progress have been slow for me since I'm playing with my brother and he's been busy, but the new moves that the monsters have gotten are interesting. I'm playing around with the GS using the new Surge Slash Combo. It's pretty good and does a lot of damage, but GS gameplay doesn't really fit my personality so I'm unsure if it's a weapon I'll stick with for long, but for now I'll give it a try. The new hub is also very nice. Everything important is close to each other which is something I appreciate.

Cromwell

Arcane
Would the pc port be worth it if I can also play the game with emulator and 60fps? I already own it on the switch so it would be a double buy

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Would the pc port be worth it if I can also play the game with emulator and 60fps? I already own it on the switch so it would be a double buy
Does the emu let you play online? Do you care to play online? I guess it comes down to that.

Anyhoo, gave Lancing a try just for fun since I'm stuck waiting on my brother to do real progress, and it really did turn out much better than I had anticipated. Rise really busted Lancing with the pitiful MVs so I'm glad that Sunbreak brought them back to human levels. Even Anchor Rage and Twin Vine are usable now. Think I might just continue with this as Lance has long been my real passion in MH and now it's good/fun again. Itchy Nose seemed to have suffered a lapse of dementia when he was personally sitting in the office and tweaking weapon MVs, so I'm glad someone finally gave him fish oil.

Here we goooo~

Zerth

Arbiter
Lancing is a wonder to behold in Iceborne. Much better than the classic version. Im glad is back in Sunbreak.

Perkel

Arcane
Does the emu let you play online? Do you care to play online? I guess it comes down to that.

Anyhoo, gave Lancing a try just for fun since I'm stuck waiting on my brother to do real progress, and it really did turn out much better than I had anticipated. Rise really busted Lancing with the pitiful MVs so I'm glad that Sunbreak brought them back to human levels. Even Anchor Rage and Twin Vine are usable now. Think I might just continue with this as Lance has long been my real passion in MH and now it's good/fun again. Itchy Nose seemed to have suffered a lapse of dementia when he was personally sitting in the office and tweaking weapon MVs, so I'm glad someone finally gave him fish oil.

Here we goooo~

Emus have their own servers which work with other people playing emus. So yes you can play online in mhrs.

Cromwell

Arcane
Emus have their own servers which work with other people playing emus. So yes you can play online in mhrs.

doesnt matter cant get it to run, ryu just shows a blackscreen and then crashes. I tried yuzu and only get 30 fps and a fuckton of graphic issues

Perkel

Arcane

doesnt matter cant get it to run, ryu just shows a blackscreen and then crashes. I tried yuzu and only get 30 fps and a fuckton of graphic issues

Those things go away after patch or two for both emus. MHRise is in great shape so they probably have to just patch stuff.
Also update your firmware and keys on ryu.

somerandomdude

Learned
Rushed the content pretty quick, got to post story, soloed everything. The weakest afflicted monster has about the same HP as Fatalis in Iceborne does for solo scaling, or about 60k HP. The fights aren't any harder, at best they get an extension on one of their combo attacks, instead of doing 1 slam, they do 2, etc, and then they get this explosion move that sends an aoe of orbs out (easy to avoid, and it's a dps window). So, all they really did was turn mobs into HP sponges to drag the fight out for longer. This is more a problem for multiplayer than in solo play, and I'll explain why below.

The average skill level of the community on this game is simply atrocious, they're beyond bad. Even on the discords they're bad. Hunts dragging out for 2-3x longer than it would take me to solo it, I ended up installing coavin's DPS meter mod, and I'm like my god, how the fuck does someone only do 10-11k damage in a 10 minute hunt? That's total dead weight in master rank. Multiply that by 3 other players who contribute that poorly, or worse, and it's just not a fun time at all. The group of killers I teamed with on discord in Monster hunter World don't play Rise. So, I've gotten bored to tears soloing stuff, and at the same time there's no decent players to team with, so I decided I'm pretty much done at this point. I'm dead serious when I say there's hunts where I did like 70, 75, even up to 80% of the team's damage on a 4 person team. They appear like they're attacking the monster, but they're just not doing any damage. Do people understand that doing damage to the monster and not carting is the absolute best contribution you can possibly make to a team in a game like this? The monster has a fucking HP bar, and the best thing you can do is delete chunks off it when you land hits. Period.

Rafidur

Learned
It wasn't that bad in MHW, unless it was a fight I was super familiar with and geared for (eg. cheesing nerg with sliding dbs). The problem was more them carting than their damage contributions.

Perkel

Arcane
looks like G rank for rise is as great as rise itself. Only 17 monsters in this G rank + 2 new maps.

To me it looks like they are just using nintendo to beta test new monster rigs before inputing them into World2 next year.

Perkel

Arcane
Well i don't have anything to play now so... i got it.
I finished base on switch which means i have to redo whole campaign but i have time i guess.

I really hope Grank will give me some trouble because base game was easy as hell. Probably to increase challange i will just play without any armor upgrades, without "budies" and so on.

Zerth

Arbiter
Depends on the weapon, but you can also refrain from using busted silkbind attacks.

Perkel

Arcane
Managed to get it working in VR. It is super easy. Just download mod from nexus, drop it into game files and voila game is now VR game with full head tracking.

I hope MHW2 will use RE engine as well as DD2 getting those into VR will be super easy thanks to this.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Started the game yesterday and i'm collecting bugs and fishing, haven't even fought a monster yet, I'm also trying to collect the notes that are around the shrine. Really comfy.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I just accidentally noticed when you do a switch skill swap and you are being attacked you can press dodge and it will let you do a Adept style dodge.
I just noticed they pretty much brought over the GU/XX styles over to Rise along with customisable movesets.

You can see the same movesets here:

Vorark

Erudite
Is it what people are calling redirection? Exactly as you mentioned: you parry a move during a switch skill swap and evade afterwards, similar to adept dodge or valor sheath in GU.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok its seems to grow on me.

1. Big screen vs crappy switch screen
2. Normal pad vs switch garbage controls
3. they upgraded textures so it doesn't look like a mud
4. 120fps instead of fucking30

There are still issues i talked about and game is still definitely easiest but i am yet to reach sunbreak. So far it is much better than on switch. Funny how such little things can change final outcome.

Zerth

Arbiter
Did you play MHRise on switch with joycons?. I've played it with the pro controller and I feel like is the only way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom