Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Arkeus

Arcane
I keep hoping that someone mentions the pre-orders also get you MMVI....

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That, too. You also get the first DLC for free. Now, whether or not that's actual content or just horse armor is up to debate.

Stabwound

Arcane
Trolling aside, what really astounds me are the people raging that they bought the game and are upset that it's not like MM6+. Is the actual MM community so biased toward the free-roaming games? I guess that even in the official poll here, MM6/7 have slightly more votes than MM3/4/5, but judging by the Steam forums, there are a ton of people outraged that the game "isn't like MM6."

I know the grid-based vs free-roaming debate has been done to death, but what's up with this? I imagine a good majority of people complaining about this weren't even around when MM6/7 were released, so I don't really get it. Even nonsensical arguements like "Why isn't this free-roaming like the old MM games!!!!!!" - by my count, there are more grid-based games than free-roaming ones. Especially if we're counting only good games.

Is this just Skyrim syndrome or what?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Trolling aside, what really astounds me are the people raging that they bought the game and are upset that it's not like MM6+. Is the actual MM community so biased toward the free-roaming games? I guess that even in the official poll here, MM6/7 have slightly more votes than MM3/4/5, but judging by the Steam forums, there are a ton of people outraged that the game "isn't like MM6."

I know the grid-based vs free-roaming debate has been done to death, but what's up with this? I imagine a good majority of people complaining about this weren't even around when MM6/7 were released, so I don't really get it. Even nonsensical arguements like "Why isn't this free-roaming like the old MM games!!!!!!" - by my count, there are more grid-based games than free-roaming ones. Especially if we're counting only good games.

IDK- I would prefer "free roaming" and having it more like MM6 (I was around then lol, still my favorite game) but beggars cant be choosers. For a good TB Blobber in FP perspective I am not going to complain one bit. Grid based is fine imho. not like there are tons of games to choose from right now that are not ARPG's .

People just like to bitch I guess.

My complaint is that I cant run the dam game- But that is my own fault for having a shitty PC and I have to fix that on my own =/

Zeriel

Arcane
There's a pretty big portion of the gaming audience (and niche gamers are still drawn from that overall pool) that wasn't even born when the first Might & Magic came out. I mean, yeah, there's egregious examples like people who look back to Mass Effect 1 & Oblivion as "the classics", but if those people exist, there have to be even more who don't remember anything before 6.

Personally I never even played 1-5 in their hey-day (I was a DOS gamer, just never crossed paths with M&M back in that time period), but I enjoy the type of games they are, so it's no skin off my back. I really feel bad for gamers who missed all the DOS greats, actually. For all the bile we might be tempted to spew at them, they're the ones who got the raw deal. Never having played Quest for Glory? Legend of Kyrandia? Darklands? And not just in DosBox on an LCD monitor with horrific ghosting, but in native DOS with a proper soundcard and the CRT resolution they were meant for?

Let us spare a moment of silence for all the wondrous gaming they'll never enjoy.

Moment over? Okay, fuck those cunts.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Is the actual MM community so biased toward the free-roaming games?
I wouldn't know about free roaming games, but being biased towards MM6, unfortunately, yes. Only on the Codex does MM6 wins the poll by a thin margin, everywhere else, it's "flying fireballs/lasers spewing machines = epitome of fun and the heart and soul of M&M".

M&M community, like all games communities, sucks.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
At the time it was the first phased-based combat I played (I played the Wizardrys later). I loved it then, still love it now.
Some of the dungeons are cool yes, but quite hard to navigate with the automap being a nightmare.

Multi-headed Cow

I dunno bro, outside of the Codex I generally see people hold up MM6 as the pinnacle of the series. Either because they didn't like the turn based/grid system of earlier games or because MM6 was the first one they played.

I'm kind of in a weird position because I was gaming when the M&M RPGs were being released, but I never touched one until I played Xeen this year and loved the hell out of it. Now that I'm playing 6 I can definitely say I prefer Xeen (Turn based combat is more satisfying, instant grid movement is faster for getting around when you know where you're going, world was stranger and sillier and more interesting, filling in maps square by squad is satisfying, keyboard-only interface in Xeen was a lot faster than using mouse in 6, etc etc) but MM6 is good too. Definitely glad that MMX is supposed to be more Xeen-esque, though it sounds like it won't be as weird or silly. I'm also hoping that adventurer difficulty is about like what it was in Xeen. In MM6 even this early on I've had to struggle during most fights, Xeen on adventurer was so laid back and relaxing I really enjoyed it. Not so ridiculously easy that you could faceroll, but as long as you were properly buffed and didn't fall asleep at your keyboard you typically kept moving forward.

And like Zeriel said I don't really intend to touch MMX until it's done. If I'm feeling froggy at some point I might load it up just to look at it for my own enjoyment but since I have absolutely no intention of writing long-ass posts to the developers listing bugs or design suggestions I don't have much interest in it until it's done. Just preordered it out of a sense of obligation as i didn't remove xeen from an inventory. also this got me might and magic 6 on steam and you know how i feel about steam

narupley

Scholar

Sort of. I think there's a relative minority of people who grew up playing MM1-5 first, who think that every other one of their peers must also prefer 1-5 over 6-8. In reality, the majority of people who are just as old (if not older) and have played both the "old" and "new" MMs, still prefer 6+. Not all of them, but the majority, yes. That reality is for some reason hard to swallow for people married to the GLORIOUS TURN-BASED GODS, and so they just don't accept it.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I think MM6 is probably the most well-known and popular game in the series - with MM7 a relatively distant second - so it's not a huge surprise that a lot of people expected the new game to be like that.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Sort of. I think there's a relative minority of people who grew up listening Killem all-And justice... first, who think that every other one of their peers must also prefer Killem all-And justice... over Black album-Death magnetic. In reality, the majority of people who are just as old (if not older) and have listened both the "old" and "new" Metallica, still prefer Black album+. Not all of them, but the majority, yes. That reality is for some reason hard to swallow for people married to the GLORIOUS HEAVY METAL GODS, and so they just don't accept it.
Sort of. I think there's a relative minority of people who grew up watching Star Wars Episode IV-VI first, who think that every other one of their peers must also prefer Episodes IV-VI over Episodes I-III. In reality, the majority of people who are just as old (if not older) and have watched both the "old" and "new" Star Wars, still prefer Episode I+. Not all of them, but the majority, yes. That reality is for some reason hard to swallow for people married to the GLORIOUS SPACE OPERA GODS, and so they just don't accept it.
The later MM games are definitely not as serious a drop in quality as Metallica's later albums or Star Wars later episodes, but you get my point.
If not, it is both that in some cases "older is better" and that I call bullshit on your claim that older guys who played 1-5 first still prefer 6. Unlike me, most of these older guys are too busy playing real life to participate in (or even care about) video games polls.

Last edited:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I keep hoping that someone mentions the pre-orders also get you MMVI....

Honestly, I wonder if this wasn't a terrible idea. The majority of the people angrily whining in the ubi forums about free-movement etc. etc. are all MMVI fans, would giving them a digital copy of the game do anything but remind them why they're so upset about MMX?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The majority of the people angrily whining in the ubi forums about free-movement etc. etc. are all MMVI fans, would giving them a digital copy of the game do anything but remind them why they're so upset about MMX?

That's exactly what happened. :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'd rather paid beta test a turn-based rpg than continue not playing an endless stream of baldur's gate clones and first-person vagrant larp environments

Would brofist if not for "Baldur's Gate clones". Where are all those? I would love to play them!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Sort of. I think there's a relative minority of people who grew up listening Killem all-And justice... first, who think that every other one of their peers must also prefer Killem all-And justice... over Black album-Death magnetic. In reality, the majority of people who are just as old (if not older) and have listened both the "old" and "new" Metallica, still prefer Black album+. Not all of them, but the majority, yes. That reality is for some reason hard to swallow for people married to the GLORIOUS HEAVY METAL GODS, and so they just don't accept it.
Sort of. I think there's a relative minority of people who grew up watching Star Wars Episode IV-VI first, who think that every other one of their peers must also prefer Episodes IV-VI over Episodes I-III. In reality, the majority of people who are just as old (if not older) and have watched both the "old" and "new" Star Wars, still prefer Episode I+. Not all of them, but the majority, yes. That reality is for some reason hard to swallow for people married to the GLORIOUS SPACE OPERA GODS, and so they just don't accept it.
The later MM games are definitely not as serious a drop in quality as Metallica's later albums or Star Wars later episodes

Fuck you. Episode VI has fucking teddy bears defeating an "Elite legion of Stormtroopers". Ep. I - III are not any worse than Ep. IV - VI. Yes, the romance section sucks balls when compared to that sweet, sweet thing going on between Han and Leia, but Palpatine's scheming and the Jedi Purge make up for that *quite* adequately.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Ep. I - III are not any worse than Ep. IV - VI.

Of course they are - there's no Han Solo and no Darth Vader. And I don't mean this directly - there are no charismatic equivalents to them. Not at all. Maybe yes, Palpatine, but he doesn't get a lot of the screen time. They even managed to totally fail the seemingly definite awesomeness of Jango Fett in episode II. And what's the point of the story without the helluva good characters?

Luzur

Good Sir

well, most M&M fans are 90's kids (and alot of them are russian/eastern europeans..?), which first game they played was MM6, so naturally they would think that all MM's should be like that.

its the same over at Celestial Haven, it was at most me and like 2 other that even voted on MM1-5, the rest of the fandom almost bloated the MM6-8 option.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Ep. I - III are not any worse than Ep. IV - VI.

Of course they are - there's no Han Solo and no Darth Vader. And I don't mean this directly - there are no charismatic equivalents to them. Not at all. Maybe yes, Palpatine, but he doesn't get a lot of the screen time. They even managed to totally fail the seemingly definite awesomeness of Jango Fett in episode II. And what's the point of the story without the helluva good characters?

I'll grant you that both Darth Tyranus and Jango Fett should have gotten loads more of screentime. But Palpatine gets plenty and he's the best character of the prequel trilogy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom