Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Repressed Homosexual
I can't see anything in this game, this is my biggest complaint. It took a long time to find the spiders cave.

Also the graphics optimization is really ridiculous, I have a beastly PC with some of the most powerful CPU and GPU on the market and it lags all the time outside.

Nael

Arcane
I can't see anything in this game, this is my biggest complaint. It took a long time to find the spiders cave.

I eventually got used to the visual cues in the game myself but I understand what you mean.

Also the graphics optimization is really ridiculous, I have a beastly PC with some of the most powerful CPU and GPU on the market and it lags all the time outside.

I think it's been repeated ad nauseum that everyone, including the developer, understands that the optimization at the moment is horrid. I expect it will be completely addressed by the final build.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't have this orientation problem with Legends of Grimrock, another Unity game. They really should optimize the colors because right now it is incredibly disorienting.

Repressed Homosexual
Now three of my characters seem to be on some sort of permanent weakened state, and resting/curing them doesn't do anything.

Also, I have noticed the pro-secularity slant of the game, I have encountered a few characters who told me how fantastic it was to separate the church from the state, even though secularity is the reverse. I know this is a French game, but I never expected to see something so blatant rubbed in my face.

Zeriel

Arcane
Not sure what to say on the orientation thing, I find it really easy to get around.

Optimization is a whale, though. My only suggestion is to turn ground details all the way down. That took FPS from 15 to 60 for me. A bunch of bushes and pebbles on the ground shouldn't make that big of a difference, but it makes the game playable even in its current state, so there you go.

The unconscious bug requires going to the temple and clicking 'restore'. It's known and will be fixed.

Also, I have noticed the pro-secularity slant of the game, I have encountered a few characters who told me how fantastic it was to separate the church from the state, even though secularity is the reverse.

:lol:

Methinks you might be taking this game too seriously.

DefJam101

Arcane
The game runs like absolute shit for me on every setting.

That said, I think the game looks great. Has a nice, classy look to it, modern colorful dumbfuck interface notwithstanding.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Grimrock is definitely not a Unity game. In fact the graphics quality of Grimrock (especially by means of lighting, colors, saturation) looks much better compared to most Unity games - and I've seen a lot. Most Unity games feature oversaturated, ugly white lighting on textures. Once you've seen this you recognize every Unity game. Not even Mirrors Edge with all bright environment, Bloom and HDR looked so bad (in contrary, it looked awesome).

I've always wondered if the Unity engine was capable of huge outside environments. Most people in their own forums doubted it and now the experience from many players seem to prove that the engine is not made for huge outside worlds (if you take the engine in its default state, and not implement your own magical optimizer). I somehow doubt that it will change much until final release. Maybe they should cut their world in smaller regions?

Btw. there is a thing in the game which I don't like that much either: does anyone know the game "Ascension to the Throne"? In this game you started somewhere and could only progress through the world if you killed all the monsters on a predefined way step by step. Now the funny thing was, that the environment was an open world(!). But still it was limited e.g: so there was a fork in the road, and on one side is a level 100 Ork and on the other a level 10 Ork. Your party can only go the way with the level 10 Ork. So although there is an open world you must "process each station" the way it is expected. Otherwise you'll die.
Now I could see that Might & Magic X is build the same way. You can't sneak past the enemies, because they are just standing in your way until you are strong enough to pass by them. The enemies are just waiting for you, doing nothing else the whole game. Go to the next station: combat... go to next station: combat... go to next station: combat... etc.
Say, for some cases it's okay, but not when the whole game is built upon this pattern.

Here I must compare with Wizardry 8 and how awesome they implemented the whole game: in Wiz8 you could sneak past strong enemies if you ran from hideout to hideout (clicking "Start combat" and then "Stop combat"). Therefore you wouldn't be engaged in fights and could even progress to regions where enemies were much stronger than you. Also enemies were wandering groups and not always standing still, which made the game lively. It offered the previously mentioned tactical feature (made you hide, sneak or run) and you could visit merchants other than the ones at the beginning of the game. It was even balanced enough, so that you weren't superman if you got better equipment from smiths of other regions.
Of course people can say "But this is Might & Magic!", but I've heard the developers are great fans and inspired of Wiz8... so yeah... I feel disappointed.

Zeriel

Arcane
Wizardry 8 was not tile-based, so it's pretty pointless to compare it to MM X. A better comparison would be Wizardry 7. Not sure how it worked there. Were you able to just run past enemies?

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wizardry 8 was not tile-based, so it's pretty pointless to compare it to MM X. A better comparison would be Wizardry 7. Not sure how it worked there. Were you able to just run past enemies?

All non-unique encounters were random. I can't think of anything that would be more horrifying than random encounters in MMX.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Detailed patch plans: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/detailed-patch-plans

TIMINGS OF THE PATCH

We plan to deliver this first unofficial patch this week! If all goes well tomorrow, but most definitely before Thursday!

WHERE AND HOW WILL YOU BE ABLE TO GET THE PATCH

As already mentioned, it was important to us to provide you this patch as quickly as possible, therefore it did not go through all the different “greenlight channels” it normally needs to go through, in order to be an “official patch”. So this patch is labelled as an “unofficial patch” and will therefore probably be available through the beta section at steam and through a download link for everyone else, which we’ll provide to you guys on the blog.

If we’ll use the beta section on steam, you guys will receive a password and a small guide so that you get your patch asap. We’ll let you know the outcome and the exact details on the day of the patch.

Redlands

Arcane
Also, I have noticed the pro-secularity slant of the game, I have encountered a few characters who told me how fantastic it was to separate the church from the state, even though secularity is the reverse. I know this is a French game, but I never expected to see something so blatant rubbed in my face.

Might and Magic X Commandments
  1. I am the Lord thy God; thou shalt have no other gods before me. I'm supremely jealous of made-up deities.
  2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images, pick up all the idols from the temples though, mad cash for selling those!
  3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain... so no making fun of The Supreme Temple of Baa and Moo!
  4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy; that way you get the best blessings from the temple!
  5. Honour thy characters' father and thy mother: no rerolling, that be the equivalent of abortion!
  6. Thou shalt not kill... okay, thou shalt kill, but only monsters like undomesticated snowmen.
  7. Thou shalt not commit adultery, so no ogling the bar wenches!
  8. Thou shalt not steal, but by all means bring along a thief to disarm traps and open chests.
  9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour; he hath important quests and XP to impart unto you.
  10. Thou shalt not covet... stop looking at the bar wenches!
(You know, if you take HHR and go forward 5 characters, you get MMW, which is so close to MMX!)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Some patch changes:
  • Resting and conditions: The following conditions are now removed by simple resting:
    • Weak
    • Paralyzed
    • Feebleminded
    • Asleep
    • Unconscious
  • Cure in temple is also resetting the resting timer, so that the party cannot get weak directly after cure again (player feedback implemented).
  • Time management in MMX has been changed according to player feedback to see how it feels like (still WIP).
    • Time spent per turn has been updated as follows:
      • City: 1 minute per turn
      • Dungeon: 2 minutes per turn
      • Outdoor: 5 minutes per turn
Item break chance is now applied as designed (break chance is not checked on each fight action anymore)
These are my biggest issues with the early access so far. :salute: Limbic, game is super fun already. Can't wait for full release.

Stabwound

Arcane
It seems as though putting the game out as an Early Access title will have been a good thing for the final product in the long run. There's a long time between now and the actual release of the game, and ironing it out before then makes me feel like this is going to be one of the better MM games. Can't wait.

:incline:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Looking at the bug fix list... on the hand I think "awesome how they fix everything", on the other hand the whole Open Dev thing feels like: "eww... players are beta testing a product and must pay money for it".

How far has it come? Ubisoft doesn't even invest money to Beta-test their own games. And everything under the cover of "open development community integration". If they wanted the community integration so much why did they not integrate the community right from the beginning? At the time where features could still be changed and requested?

Promoting a broken product, and letting the community fix it (with enough feedback)... It's not that any new features are added, or changed greatly, just bugfixing issues. If you look at the things being reviewed by the developers, (devchat, forums) they say that most things people issued as bug were already planned to fix. This makes the whole thing pointless and a farce. Leaves a bad taste for the whole setup...

Stabwound

Arcane
Sure, the early access thing was probably mainly done for an extra boost in funding and for free bug testing, but it has the added benefit of helping the game get polished and fixed up ahead of time. It's obvious that Ubi gave this game a shoestring budget and the "open development" has been a little lame, but I don't get a bad feeling from it.

You get exactly what you pay for with early access, and they make it pretty clear what that is: a demo of the game. I don't see what the issue is: it's not like the Realms of Arkania debacle where the game should have been released as "early access" but wasn't.

It's not perfect and you can't expect it to me, but it's a miracle that this game even exists in the first place in the form it does.

I love and hate the complaints on the Steam site, though. It's ridiculous how many people are complaining that they didn't know the game is grid-based, or about things that are very apparent by watching the trailer that automatically starts when you open the Steam page.

Repressed Homosexual
Looking at the bug fix list... on the hand I think "awesome how they fix everything", on the other hand the whole Open Dev thing feels like: "eww... players are beta testing a product and must pay money for it".

How far has it come? Ubisoft doesn't even invest money to Beta-test their own games. And everything under the cover of "open development community integration". If they wanted the community integration so much why did they not integrate the community right from the beginning? At the time where features could still be changed and requested?

Promoting a broken product, and letting the community fix it (with enough feedback)... It's not that any new features are added, or changed greatly, just bugfixing issues. If you look at the things being reviewed by the developers, (devchat, forums) they say that most things people issued as bug were already planned to fix. This makes the whole thing pointless and a farce. Leaves a bad taste for the whole setup...

Pretty much, it's a way for Ubi Soft to generate goodwill in grassroots communities, while getting QA for free, and laughing all the way to the bank and not caring that this project exists, while making millions with generic, soulless AAA games paid for with Quebec governmental money, and salaries kept low through a cartel with other Montreal studios. It's all a PR scam. I regret my purchase, for this reason and the odious one I mentioned earlier. I'll never buy a PC game before it's severely discounted and before it's released again, except if the developer takes his time to come to the Codex to talk about this to prove he's serious and not running a con.

narupley

Scholar
Wow, you guys are starting to sound like the retards on the Ubi forums. You're not paying just for the early release; you get the full version too. You're basically pre-ordering the game that will come out in half a year, and as an added perk you can play the alpha version of Act 1, give feedback on it to help improve the final product, etc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't really have a problem with the Early Access/beta test thing. No one is being forced to buy it. It's a two-way street. It gives people the opportunity to 'vote' for a particular genre/game with their wallet and have beta access while it helps the developers produce a more polished product. Who are the people getting screwed here? Entry level wage slaves that would be hired in the QA deparment?

I'll never buy a PC game before it's severely discounted and before it's released again, except if the developer takes his time to come to the Codex to talk about this to prove he's serious and not running a con.

And yet you'll preorder a next-gen console? Keep on trolling.

DefJam101

Arcane
I'd rather paid beta test a turn-based rpg than continue not playing an endless stream of baldur's gate clones and first-person vagrant larp environments

Zeriel

Arcane
Also, there is zero requirement to actually play the game before release. You can treat this as a pre-order if you like. I've posted this on the steam forums too, it's rather peculiar to me that people are totally okay with a pre-order where they plunk down 60$ months or a year in advance, and get nothing until that time. Meanwhile, 30$ that lets them preview the game ahead of time if they so wish and still get the full, polished game on release? Exploiting the fanbase! Publishers are greedy! No QA department!

Fuck off, already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom