Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Mortmal

Arcane
its worth mentioning its cheaper in every other digital shops than steam....just found a -25% on green man gaming with voucher GMG25-0YUM5-VKMVU , also -20% on get a game. Not even checked russian prices yet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
ERH MAH GERD!
Is it really releasing tomorrow?

I should start considering what my party will be. In Early Access I didn't go with a tank. Maybe that's useful.
I'm thinking two semi-healers instead of one dedicated.

edit: alright I'm thinking

Crusader (melee and healing)
Rune Priest (primary spellcaster, can also heal but will focus on fire first and foremost)
Scout (pew)
Mercenary (pew and slash - maybe tanking too)

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Thinking of Blade Dancer + Blade Dancer + Freemage + Rune Priest. My only concern is that the extra-attack-on-miss-or-block guys are really rough for dagger spam early on, on Warrior difficulty. Other than that, Blade Dancer looks hella broken.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ERH MAH GERD!
Is it really releasing tomorrow?

I should start considering what my party will be. In Early Access I didn't go with a tank. Maybe that's useful.
I'm thinking two semi-healers instead of one dedicated.

edit: alright I'm thinking

Crusader (melee and healing)
Rune Priest (primary spellcaster, can also heal but will focus on fire first and foremost)
Scout (pew)
Mercenary (pew and slash - maybe tanking too)

At first, my part was identical to yours:

Mercenary
Crusader
Scout
Rune Priest

But then I thought about it, and the problem is that with that party you have a TON of Light magic:

-
Grandmaster
Master
Grandmaster

and sorely lacking in Air, Water, Dark and Primal. The freemage can seriously alleviate that, but that's so boring :(

Problem is, no other heroes gain access to GM Dark. Substitutes could also be Shaman or Druid, but that means cutting Rune Priest, and that class so cool omg I luv it <3

What to do, what to do.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's going to be an all-freemage party for me, just like back in the first early access version. I wonder how the balance has changed since then.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
But then I thought about it, and the problem is that with that party you have a TON of Light magic:

-
Grandmaster
Master
Grandmaster

and sorely lacking in Air, Water, Dark and Primal. The freemage can seriously alleviate that, but that's so boring :(

Problem is, no other heroes gain access to GM Dark. Substitutes could also be Shaman or Druid, but that means cutting Rune Priest, and that class so cool omg I luv it <3

What to do, what to do.
If I had to pick one school of magic to have a surplus of, I'd pick light.

I would go through all classes and look but there doesn't seem to be any proper portals for class information.

I do think I'll make some changes tho. I think I'll replace scout with a blade dancer. That way I get an elf in the party too! Like Zeriel pointed out, the blade dancer seems like a damage-dealing powerhouse. Ranged weapons sucked balls in EA, but if necessary the blade dancer can use a bow as well. Oh, and I'm a big fan of cleave/"extra attack on kill".

So that's:

Human Crusader
Dwarf Rune Priest
Elf Blade Dancer
Human Mercenary

Might just have to replace the mercenary with Barbarian for full multikult points.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Zed said:
I would go through all classes and look but there doesn't seem to be any proper portals for class information.

Here:

Is there some place that lists all the classes and info about them? My mate is considering a purchase but wants to read a bit first.
In the video of the boxed edition, if you pause it and translate it :D.

This is only the basic info from the new class announcements:
Freemage
Ranger
Barbarian
Defender
Shaman
Scout
Druid
Mercenary
Rune Priest
Hunter
Crusader
Blade Dancer

I have all open in my browser tabs and scrolled to their skill allocation in this way:

Human Might
Human Hybrid
Human Magic
Dwarf Might
Dwarf Hybrid
Dwarf Magic

and so on.

I hate the mercenary more and more... no grandmaster weapon class is teh suck, I think. So I'm probably gonna substitute it. No idea for what.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm sure the Dwarven Runepriest is a better melee build than any elven fighter class.

Jokes for days?

On a serious note, because I refrained from playing the Early Access and didn't have an Act II preview, do you know if the player faces enemy equivalents of the player classes? Battles with Freemages, Runepriests, and Blade Dancers and such?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Should be renamed man-date of HEAVAN.

half orc.

small note: they're "full" orcs

which makes them infinitely cooler in my mind :thumbsup:

(always loved goblins in VII)

Full orcs don't involve savage rape, not cool.

Anyway how viable are full orc parties

I'd say pretty viable. Looking at the different classes, they all seem fine. I believe you could do a full playthrough with 4x most classes even. 4x any of the non-Blade Dancer might classes would be very, very tough I think, but doable.

An orc party with Barb, Hunter, Shammy + random would do fine I think.

Snerf

Learned
Crusader, Scout, Freemage and pole dancer for me. Why can't they pull a backguards and secretly release early?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
half orc.

small note: they're "full" orcs

which makes them infinitely cooler in my mind :thumbsup:

(always loved goblins in VII)

Yeah fair enough, I forgot. I was thinking of the old games where it was half orcs (unless my faulty brain has finally given out on me). Regardless, I don't like them either. Uncivilized filth and all that. :obviously:

Zeriel

Arcane
I'd argue the game is pretty easy on adventurer to the point where you can do whatever you want. It is only on Warrior/only for satisfaction of knowing you are grossly overpowered that party composition becomes a real consideration.

Meanwhile, Steam forums deliver once again. Some guy, on why grid-based is wrong:

Well, it is lazy. It could have been an optional feature. But it isn't. Because they couldn't be bothered.

There really isn't any good reason why they couldn't have, so that is called laziness.

If they want it to be grid based then fine, but don't lock out the Might and Magic 6+ players because of that.

A darn shame.

Do you hear that, JSawyer? Designing your game to use one system and making that system work well is LAZY. Oh, nevermind, Sawyer is already implementing bullshit pause mechanics, so I guess he's fully on the "we have to service every possible market segment with our game systems" bandwagon.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All-freemage party was feasible on Warrior even in the earliest build, where the potions didn't restock. It's probably become easier, not harder, now that they do restock. So you can probably go with whatever party composition you want, really.

Also, grid-based for the win.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'd argue the game is pretty easy on adventurer to the point where you can do whatever you want. It is only on Warrior/only for satisfaction of knowing you are grossly overpowered that party composition becomes a real consideration.

Meanwhile, Steam forums deliver once again. Some guy, on why grid-based is wrong:

Well, it is lazy. It could have been an optional feature. But it isn't. Because they couldn't be bothered.

There really isn't any good reason why they couldn't have, so that is called laziness.

If they want it to be grid based then fine, but don't lock out the Might and Magic 6+ players because of that.

A darn shame.

Do you hear that, JSawyer? Designing your game to use one system and making that system work well is LAZY. Oh, nevermind, Sawyer is already implementing bullshit pause mechanics, so I guess he's fully on the "we have to service every possible market segment with our game systems" bandwagon.

I literally have no idea what Sawyer has to do with that retarded post, but you sound butthurt.

Guy is stupid. I would have prefered non-grid as well, but doing both is just a waste of resources.

Zeriel

Arcane

A darn shame.

I literally have no idea what Sawyer has to do with that retarded post, but you sound butthurt.

Guy is stupid. I would have prefered non-grid as well, but doing both is just a waste of resources.

Implementing half-assed solutions to combat (though in this case he just inherits the whole mess from Infinity Engine's RTWP). I just really, really hate the idea that you have to have multiple combat systems in the same game, or hybrids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom