Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Implementing half-assed solutions to combat (though in this case he just inherits the whole mess from Infinity Engine's RTWP). I just really, really hate the idea that you have to have multiple combat systems in the same game, or hybrids.

There are people, including me, who liked IE's combat system. Sawyer has nothing to do with that choice, PoE was fucking pitched on the basis of it being RTwP. It's quite an odd thing to be butthurt about. Like the retards 'sperging that Wasteland 2 is turn-based or something.

But, we should get back to the much more interesting conversation on what parties people are going to take. I'm still looking for a solution to my lack of Water-magic.

Zeriel

Arcane
Implementing half-assed solutions to combat (though in this case he just inherits the whole mess from Infinity Engine's RTWP). I just really, really hate the idea that you have to have multiple combat systems in the same game, or hybrids.

There are people, including me, who liked IE's combat system. Sawyer has nothing to do with that choice, PoE was fucking pitched on the basis of it being RTwP. It's quite an odd thing to be butthurt about. Like the retards 'sperging that Wasteland 2 is turn-based or something.

But, we should get back to the much more interesting conversation on what parties people are going to take. I'm still looking for a solution to my lack of Water-magic.

Druid? I wasn't a fan of them, but the Act II preview build had them in the provided party, and water does have one really overpowered spell that stuns any non-boss enemy. You can just chain cast it forever pretty much.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Druid? I wasn't a fan of them, but the Act II preview build had them in the provided party, and water does have one really overpowered spell that stuns any non-boss enemy. You can just chain cast it forever pretty much.

Yeah, currently I'm thinking of switching Mercenary with Druid or Shaman. I'm just not sure I'm keen on the idea of having two casters in the party on my first playthrough.

I don't think I will be running with a Mercenary. Like I said, no Grandmaster weapon skills is a real blow IMO.

I just want my horse armor Arcomage DLC.

This.

Zeriel

Arcane
Mercenary strikes me as really, really bad. Then again, I am a shameless min-maxer, so I probably have a different perspective from others. For example, when I look at the melee classes, I immediately discount all the tanky but low-damage archetypes as terrible, since the best damage dealers can all just grab points in warfare to taunt while destroying everything.

Crusader looks fun, though, for a change of pace. Skills aren't that exciting, but the special abilities they get are super cool. Carnage (Blade Dancer) + Man-date of Heavan look like the most exciting promotion abilities in the game to me.

Arkeus

Arcane
I hate the mercenary more and more... no grandmaster weapon class is teh suck, I think. So I'm probably gonna substitute it. No idea for what.
It doesn't really make sense for the Hybrid human class to have grandmaster sword but the Might one not to have any grandmaster weapons.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mercenary strikes me as really, really bad. Then again, I am a shameless min-maxer, so I probably have a different perspective from others. For example, when I look at the melee classes, I immediately discount all the tanky but low-damage archetypes as terrible, since the best damage dealers can all just grab points in warfare to taunt while destroying everything.

Crusader looks fun, though, for a change of pace. Skills aren't that exciting, but the special abilities they get are super cool. Carnage (Blade Dancer) + Man-date of Heavan look like the most exciting promotion abilities in the game to me.

Are there one-handed Spears? I'm a bit befuddled by the "Two-Handed Skill". Or is that just, like the Dual Wield skill, a bonus to Two-Handed weapons regardless of type?

I hate the mercenary more and more... no grandmaster weapon class is teh suck, I think. So I'm probably gonna substitute it. No idea for what.
It doesn't really make sense for the Hybrid human class to have grandmaster sword but the Might one not to have any grandmaster weapons.

Well, the idea is that the Human Might (Mercenary) should be a jack-of-all-trades Fighter, mastering all weapons. I'm just not sure how that is useful in any way in a game that's about specializing.

Stabwound

Arcane
So, when exactly is the full game out? Steam itself says nothing, there are no official updates, nothing. Is it tomorrow? And if so, when?

Also, any way to preload some of it? Not looking forward to 12gb of shit to doownload on day 1

Zeriel

Arcane

Are there one-handed Spears? I'm a bit befuddled by the "Two-Handed Skill". Or is that just, like the Dual Wield skill, a bonus to Two-Handed weapons regardless of type?

Well, the idea is that the Human Might (Mercenary) should be a jack-of-all-trades Fighter, mastering all weapons. I'm just not sure how that is useful in any way in a game that's about specializing.

Spears don't allow offhand equipping or shields, but don't count as 2H for skills and benefits, et cetera. They're kind of a defensive compromise between damage of 2H and 1H + shield. 2H skill is a general skill for 2H weapons, yes. Benefits all 2H weapons.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Spears don't allow offhand equipping or shields, but don't count as 2H for skills and benefits, et cetera.

Wait, what? So they're worst of both worlds? Require two hands but don't benefit from Two-Handed skill?

Zeriel

Arcane
They have better damage than 1H + Shield, but get like 3 block attempts per round at max rank. They're a good version of blocking + damage if you like that, my problem with them is the same problem I have with all block archetypes, just not necessary.

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
They saved the best for the last. I already planned to have the Paladin in my party, now it's a no brainer for my first playthrough (and likely the only full playthrough. Though I might do another if the game is non linear enough or there is real C&C, or maybe for a LP on the dex) Unfortunately the only problem is the lack of 2H skill for Paladins/Crusaders, which is quite a retarded choice the devs made. Many players prefer Paladins to be 2handers rather than sword and board.

I guess I will also go with a Blade dancer. I was considering Orc Barbarian before, but now I suppose a female Bladedancer. But since the BD is dual weilder, and I really want a 2Hander, I may still go with Barbarian. Plus orcs are cooler than elves anyway.

Third will be human Freemage.

The last slot will likely be some spellcaster too, either Shaman, or another Freemage.

Question: What benefit does Grandmastery in a skill give, apart from extra spells for spellcasters? Do weapon skills get a damage boost, and if so how much?

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
By the way, something helpful from the Ubi Forums that a poster made:

download.php

Stabwound

Arcane
Min-maxing in MM games is stupid anyway. Making spreadsheets like this is dumb. Just make a party you like and roll with it; this isn't Asper Simulator X.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Might and Magic games have pretty much always been slightly challenging at best and piss easy at worst so sperging about optimal strategies is kinda pointless, yeah.

Zeriel

Arcane
What else are you going to do in a combat heavy game? Sperg about the backstory of the merchant in town?

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
Min-maxing in MM games is stupid anyway. Making spreadsheets like this is dumb. Just make a party you like and roll with it; this isn't Asper Simulator X.

10270.jpg

Knowing about skill levels is important for completionists, which many RPG players are, who want to squeeze the most out of their characters per play through. Given that each rank in a skill grants different bonuses, this can be important for such people. A game within a game.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
My first party will be:
Gallard the Defender, dwarf male
Xenon the Hunter, Orc male
Zerena the Freemage, human female
Wizbang the Druid, elf male

:smug:

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
My first party will be:
Gallard the Defender, dwarf male
Xenon the Hunter, Orc male
Zerena the Freemage, human female
Wizbang the Druid, elf male

:smug:

How long in game before the non human beasts rape the sole human female?

:troll:

What weapon skills will you spec for your Orc and Defender?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom