Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Dorateen

Arcane
I found the Lost City atmospheric and fairly well designed, especially the lower levels. Happy spelunking.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I found the Lost City atmospheric and fairly well designed, especially the lower levels. Happy spelunking.
Looking back at it, I enjoyed the mega-ambush. I needed about five tries to win it, but it made me feel good about beating an "unfair" challenge. The elite ravenous ghouls that one-hit killed both my casters were still annoying, though.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Am I the only one who has been having trouble with the responsiveness on the main menu buttons since the DLC? I'm a five to ten second delay before it responds to any click, which makes reloading extremely tiresome.

(the initial Lighthouse activation puzzle is a good example - it gives you a riddle which doesn't work if you solve it, and instead just has some FUCKING LIGHTS on the statues that you need to pay attention to).

I guess it would be possible to solve it by trial and error while paying attention to the lights, but the solution does correlate with the text on the plaque.

DemonKing

Arcane
I figured the prison would be just a start and everything would unfold after that. Bad mistake. Really short end battle ensued and nothing interesting to loot whore. With deluxe edition it was free but otherwise I'd think twice before buying it.

Agreed - there are no relics or other useful awards available in the DLC - it's just two maps full of fighting apart from one lame puzzle at the beginning plus you're gimped for the first level as they remove all your equipment (but strangely not my 400 000+ gold pieces). If you didn't get it for free it ain't worth getting.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do I figured that as a primer for the imminent release of grimoire I would either replay Wiz 8 or try this game so I got the game and the DLC. Seems playing it on my laptop is OOTQ so it will have to wait till the weekend, in the meantime what would be a good fun party for my first playthrough?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Do I figured that as a primer for the imminent release of grimoire I would either replay Wiz 8 or try this game so I got the game and the DLC. Seems playing it on my laptop is OOTQ so it will have to wait till the weekend, in the meantime what would be a good fun party for my first playthrough?
You'll probably want a freemage, since they are the most versatile spellcasters. A bladedancer dual-wielding daggers is the best damage dealing unit. All character classes are viable, so have fun and experiment. There is even a random party generation feature.

I would suggest having spellcasters that can achieve light and earth magic grandmastery, since celestial armor and regeneration are so useful.

Edit: to check out the maximum mastery each class can achieve for each skill, see this table.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I definitely liked having a shield master tank dude, forget the class name. He has the ability to make enemies attack him over others which paired with a freemage's shadow ability means you can negate damage completely for a whole turn in most cases.

Druid is essential if you don't plan to quickly go down the light magic tree with your Crusader.

Themadcow

Augur
(the initial Lighthouse activation puzzle is a good example - it gives you a riddle which doesn't work if you solve it, and instead just has some FUCKING LIGHTS on the statues that you need to pay attention to).

I guess it would be possible to solve it by trial and error while paying attention to the lights, but the solution does correlate with the text on the plaque.

Well, I wrote down the N, S, E, W references and combined them with the riddle to get the 'corners' and still couldn't get it to work until I read about just looking at the sword hilts for lights that pretty much say 1, 2, 3, 4.

Later on some of the riddles are mental, especially:

Riddle: History is told, forgotten and can be told again. What is put on parchment never remains unchanged. Always truth can be washed away and rewritten, but the spectre of past words seldom completely fades.

Answer: Palimpsest

I'm not spoilering that shit because, quite frankly I refuse to believe that anyone got the answer to that simply by thinking about it (unless they've got extensive knowledge of ancient manuscripts).

The other bit that was WTF was when the guy in the observatory starts asking you about all these names of cities or bays that you wouldn't have a clue how to answer unless you've got a detailed map in front of you, which of course no-one does who is playing a digital download. Thank gawd for internet FAQ's.

Anyways, I'm still enjoying it massively and some of the little flaws actually add a bit of charm to the game. I also found it quite amusing that if you go direct into lv4 of the Lost City the monsters are fairly easy but lv3 they roflstomped my party repeatedly. Makes no sense in the traditional school of dungeoneering but I liked it!

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Riddle: History is told, forgotten and can be told again. What is put on parchment never remains unchanged. Always truth can be washed away and rewritten, but the spectre of past words seldom completely fades.

Answer: Palimpsest

I'm not spoilering that shit because, quite frankly I refuse to believe that anyone got the answer to that simply by thinking about it (unless they've got extensive knowledge of ancient manuscripts).

Actually, I did get that without outside help, but was lucky. There's a character who mentions the word, basically describing a type of magic scroll which can be reused and then mentioning that the previous magic can never be fully erased. I encountered her before the chest, and remembered the dialogue because it had struck me as being particularly odd. Then I returned to her to get that word again, and after that extra effort was really very annoyed to finally open that chest and find it full of junk.

The other bit that was WTF was when the guy in the observatory starts asking you about all these names of cities or bays that you wouldn't have a clue how to answer unless you've got a detailed map in front of you, which of course no-one does who is playing a digital download. Thank gawd for internet FAQ's.

The answers pop up on the screen when you enter the actual places, but I have to admit I was too lazy to do that properly.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, does anybody know if the devs are still planning to release patches for the game? Or now that the DLC's out, is it effectively abandoned?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Hey, does anybody know if the devs are still planning to release patches for the game? Or now that the DLC's out, is it effectively abandoned?
The Deluxe edition was touted as including the first DLC for free, so I assume that they plan to release others, but that may depend on whether MMX met its sales targets.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Does the DLC follow the base game? That is, it's not integrated like G2 NOTR? So I could buy the base game now and pick up the expansion later and not have to repeat stuff?

LivingOne

Savant
Does the DLC follow the base game? That is, it's not integrated like G2 NOTR? So I could buy the base game now and pick up the expansion later and not have to repeat stuff?
it takes place right after the ending,so yes you'd have to repeat the whole game if you don't keep the saves.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
it takes place right after the ending,so yes you'd have to repeat the whole game if you don't keep the saves.

I think what he's worried about is whether it's in the middle of the game, as an extension of the game world. Which it isn't.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does anybody know how well the game sold? Can we expect an MMXI ?

No idea about numbers, but the survey email about what was good about tbe game, what would be ideal in the future, and what other more or less similiar games one owns and likes would imply the possibility of a sequel.

jdinatale

Cipher
Does anyone know how well this game has sold, in particular, if it sold well enough to persuade Ubisoft to continue to make old school RPG's?

norolim

Arcane
I was wondering that myself. Couldn't find any info on the internetz, though. We probably have to wait for Ubi's fourth quarter 2013-14 sales report, which the'll probably publish this month.

Dorateen

Arcane
I would be interested in, not how many units were sold, but the amount of sales generated in relation to the costs of production. I'd hope this was a cheap title to put together, thus not needing to sell as much in order to be profitable. And if Legacy does not at least break even, a question to ask is what superficial aspects could be cut from the design budget so that it will be worthwhile for ubisoft to fund more similar games. Voice-overs... animations?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I would be interested in, not how many units were sold, but the amount of sales generated in relation to the costs of production. I'd hope this was a cheap title to put together, thus not needing to sell as much in order to be profitable. And if Legacy does not at least break even, a question to ask is what superficial aspects could be cut from the design budget so that it will be worthwhile for ubisoft to fund more similar games. Voice-overs... animations?

They will never ever ever ever release that kind of information.

All you will ever know is, if there is ever a second game (Might & Magic XI?) then we will know it was financially successful enough for them to do a second game. If which, I really really hope it was/is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom