Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Just played another 2 hours. This game is fucking addicting.

All my other characters are going well other than the freemage. Well I am somewhat worried about a crusader/paladin with medium armor that can't get to grandmaster, but whatever. No going back on that one.

The freemage is a bitch. Her fire spells are literally the best offensive weapon I have right now, so the temptation to keep going with it is strong even if I can never reach grandmaster with it. Her other options are all iffy. Dark magic seems mostly to be about buffs and primordial seems to be similar. That one primordial spell that harms mages when they cast seemed pretty good against the mages in the castle though. Anyway her only pure offense tree that can be maxed seems to be air so I have a tough time ignoring it.

Oh well, this is part of what makes these games fun I suppose. Now to find the fucking shield trainer...

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The freemage is a bitch. Her fire spells are literally the best offensive weapon I have right now, so the temptation to keep going with it is strong even if I can never reach grandmaster with it. Her other options are all iffy. Dark magic seems mostly to be about buffs and primordial seems to be similar. That one primordial spell that harms mages when they cast seemed pretty good against the mages in the castle though. Anyway her only pure offense tree that can be maxed seems to be air so I have a tough time ignoring it.

I know that feel, bro! I played with crusader/freemage/blade dancer/runepriest and also felt that the freemage was the least useful character of the group, at least combat-wise. I maxed Air and Primordial on him and felt that Air was distinctly underwhelming when compared to, say, Fire. Dark and Primordial are useful utility schools, though, just not the best damage dealers (which is, again, probably Fire).

Should I go for another playthrough, I'll probably replace him with a Druid or something and try maxing Water magic instead.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Switched freemage to focus on dark magic, primordial magic and the MP and crit buffs. Still using fireballs as her default offense though, the only offense I have with dark and primordial is life drain which doesn't hurt much. I like where she's going though, and if she's always buffing that lets me druid take offense most of the time.

Game is really great, having a blast. If I might ask since my blobber experience is limited: do the other Might & Magic RPGs follow this same basic pattern? What I am most in love with is the turn-based combat and the fact enemies don't respawn, so you can always retreat to town. Are all the previous M&Ms like this? I know they ditched the grid in MM6 so I feel like it isn't turn-based anymore.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Switched freemage to focus on dark magic, primordial magic and the MP and crit buffs. Still using fireballs as her default offense though, the only offense I have with dark and primordial is life drain which doesn't hurt much. I like where she's going though, and if she's always buffing that lets me druid take offense most of the time.

Yeah, freemage is a great buffer/utility caster, I don't know of any powerful freemage dps build, although some people claimed they could use Implosion to deal some serious hurt.

Game is really great, having a blast. If I might ask since my blobber experience is limited: do the other Might & Magic RPGs follow this same basic pattern? What I am most in love with is the turn-based combat and the fact enemies don't respawn, so you can always retreat to town. Are all the previous M&Ms like this? I know they ditched the grid in MM6 so I feel like it isn't turn-based anymore.

Love the TBS combat and non-respawning enemies too (although a word of warning - the world does completely repopulate after some 200 days, maybe more). And as for the MnM 6-8, I felt like playing realtime is much more effective, sometimes the only way to beat stronger mobs, otherwise you get your shit pushed in. Combat is probably the only aspect where MMX is better than the prequels but it's still a great little game.

madaosoul

Barely Literate
Yeah, freemage is a great buffer/utility caster, I don't know of any powerful freemage dps build, although some people claimed they could use Implosion to deal some serious hurt.
Definitely. My Freemage was sweeping with his Implosion, dealing 1000 damage with crits. Now I regret putting those points in Dark Magic, that could've been used to Grand Master Magic Focus. Seriously, what's this thing even good for? Agony?

Redlands

Arcane
While I liked the game a great deal, the DLC does not play well with the engine issues. Insta-killing in a game where loading and transitioning are known performance issues is not the best tactic to use.

Also the final(?) chessboard battle has really gotten me puzzled as to how best to go about it.

I find Agony quite useful in combination with Celestial Weapon and two strong melee fighters, particularly on certain bosses: CW's physical damage leads to additional dark damage, and then the enemy can't block, so the melee fighters can smash and then do extra dark damage on top. Additionally, Agony tends to stay around for a while, meaning that even when my archmage is busy with protection he can still be considered as doing some form of damage.

Dorateen

Arcane
I would not overlook the usefulness of a well-placed sleep spell.

Regarding the previous titles, Legacy largely takes its cues from III, IV and V of the Might & Magic series. If you like the turn-based combat and nature of movement, those are the ones to try next. I think that MMX gives more options in battle. But on the other hand, Isles of Terror and Xeen allowed for 6 character parties plus 2 NPC's who fought in combat. That's the kind of set up I prefer personally, along with the better variety of class composition.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I went to The Crag pretty much right after I got to Seahaven because I wanted the earth magic master training... somehow managed to scrape by and get there, with two part members dead and no supplies left. Then I find out The Crag has no resurrection service! Oh well, I made it back by following the cleared path.

Fun stuff.

I would not overlook the usefulness of a well-placed sleep spell.

That helped me get there, it allowed me to take those double-teaming orcs one at a time.

Tigranes

Arcane
You can fast travel from each settlement to some of the others. Speak to men by the docks or in the stables.

Gozma

Arcane
The combat in MM 3-5 is completely paper thin and instantaneously fast; for example overworld combat is based on Gauntlet-style monster generator tiles that you push through a herd of often one-button-press-to-kill enemies to destroy. Its only real function is to keep you in the GOTTA POWA UPPAH frame of mind RPG exploration runs on and to be danger gates to overcome to expand your range. Character development is simple and almost completely spergless. Liking MMX style combat and character development means you'll like, say, Wizardry 6-7, not MM3-5.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I like Wiz combat and tb blob combat in general, but find MMX pretty dull. Mostly due to the fact that party building options are meh and coming up with different combos to tackle the challenge is hardly exciting. Crpgs with boring character progression can be partially salvaged by giving the ability to customize characters with varied, unique loot (BG2 did that for example), but pimping out your dudes in MMX is meh as well.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You can fast travel from each settlement to some of the others. Speak to men by the docks or in the stables.

Yeah but I couldn't use The Crag's fast travel until I talked to the pirate dude and that would have meant the dead characters missing out on a ton of XP. Walking back didn't take long, the game world is kind of dink honestly. I thought the world map was act one until I finished act one way before that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
facepalm_227785.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am now way overpowered after mainlining DPS skills in three of my people and rushing to The Crag to get training. I'm back at the lost city now and in no danger what-so-ever. Oh well, breaking stuff is fun.

DemonKing

Arcane
Just started the DLC last night and I'm not enjoying having to fight with sub-par equipment after filling my boots with relics throughout the main quest line, although I'll admit it does make some of the encounters challenging again.

After wasting some time last week on Reaper of Souls it's much more fun to come back to this even though the fiddly opening "puzzle" section was quite lame.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just started the DLC last night and I'm not enjoying having to fight with sub-par equipment after filling my boots with relics throughout the main quest line, although I'll admit it does make some of the encounters challenging again.

After wasting some time last week on Reaper of Souls it's much more fun to come back to this even though the fiddly opening "puzzle" section was quite lame.

I want my fucking toys back! I hope it gets better towards the end but the initial feeling is meh especially after the knock on cock start.

Edit.

You get the stuff back after finishing the 2nd boss.

Last edited:

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I figured the prison would be just a start and everything would unfold after that. Bad mistake. Really short end battle ensued and nothing interesting to loot whore. With deluxe edition it was free but otherwise I'd think twice before buying it.

Luzur

Good Sir
so, was the overheating problems solved with this DLC or is it the same? i havent seen any news about it and i havent played the game for awhile.

Themadcow

Augur
I finally bought this and it's pretty much excactly what I was hoping it would be. Some of the puzzles are a bit 'meh' - especially when there's a logical solution that it bypasses for no reason (the initial Lighthouse activation puzzle is a good example - it gives you a riddle which doesn't work if you solve it, and instead just has some FUCKING LIGHTS on the statues that you need to pay attention to). The difficulty spikes are welcome - that old school feeling of trying to overcome possibly unfair odds through skill and preparation... and achieving it... is sadly lacking in modern game design. Mapping sucks amazing ass though, especially on the world map which is borderline useless even with adding your own map notes.

Just got up to the lost city and can't see myself playing anything else for a while. Bravo Ubisoft (even if your launcher sucks enormous balls).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom