Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might And Magic

What's the best one of them all?

• Might And Magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gates To Another World

• Isles Of Terra

• Clouds Of Xeen

• Darkside Of Xeen

• Mandate Of Heaven

• For Blood And Honor

• Day Of The Destroyer

• Total voters

Eldritch

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
But it still amazes me that many of the games having the Might And Magic name have absolutely nothing to do with each other lorewise, making me wonder why they used the license in the first place.

Actually this whole "confusion" became the precise reason of their downfall, coupled with unbelievable levels of managerial stupidity as usual.

Mullich also talks about his time working on VtM:Bloodlines too, not just M&M;

David Mullich said:
I was then assigned to produce Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, which was already a year or more into development without an Activision producer being attached to ensure that everything was running smoothly. As a result, things were in a pretty sorry state when I came aboard: an unfinished design and game engine, technical problems with the multiplayer code, many game levels that were created and then thrown out, and so on.

My job was to work with the developer, Troika Games, to get the game back on track and bring it to completion. I eventually wound up staying onsite at Troika, which required me to drive a 180-mile round-trip commute each day through the worst of Los Angeles traffic. I'd usually leave my house at 7am and often wouldn't get back home until 2am that night, and this went on for six months until the game was finished. It was a very grueling project, and I was happy when it was all over.

As for my 5¢ on Wyrmlord's question, it was mostly the success of King's Bounty that later evolved into the Heroes of M&M series the reason for the whole confusion. King's Bounty being JVC's genius game project at the time had no relation to the M&M universe and when they incorporated the core of the games design and atmosphere to the HoMM games, they kept it a fairytale fantasyland just like KB was. It kinda fit better with the strategy game I guess with the more distinct and easier to understand elements along with the mythological "Heroes" concept with the mighty barbarians / cunning sorceresses and all that jazz...

Starting from VI they included the same fantasy creatures that were units in the heroes games along with the heroes themselves in the storyline. (Lord Kilburn, Corlagon etc.) Most probably to make the both successful game series with different genres to pimp each other. What really sucked was that this strategy eventually backfired because of the essential incompatibility of the concepts applied in two different games. The "Forgetown" disaster was the death knell of 3DO, the event that started it all.

When batshit nerds actually start sending death threats to your designers, you must have done something wrong at one point. :lol:x:lol:

Bastardization is ALWAYS wrong, they should have kept em' seperate. Lack of fidelity and inconsistency is almost always the sign of :decline:

As for my favorite, I can't think of one definitive "best M&M ever". I voted VI for purely sentimental reasons. Of course I love the World of Xeen and still have my WoX CD, but I also love VI and VII. I have a soft spot for VI though due to its sheer scope and the strangely alluring atmosphere. VIII was like a tiny retarded theme park with dragons and all I remember about IX was laughing my ass off at the cheap new guys 3DO hired after failing to pay the original team, with the fat fucks putting their goddamn group photographs in the credits smiling at the camera with their obese faces as if they've just dumped a motherfucking pile of masterpiece. The reason I laughed wasn't all about nerdrage though, the team posing for the credits was almost entirely composed of really fat people, so the whole developer fatmosphere along with the overall crappiness of the game really got to me.

P.S.

Arcomage fucking rules, it's the best mini-game evar.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Eldritch

Scholar
:evil: Fear the nerd rage. For hell hath no fury like a nerd scorned :evil:

mondblut

Arcane
Jaesun said:
One fan was so angry at us for even considering introducing science fiction elements into the Heroes series that he sent a death threat to Greg. Naturally, this rattled my designer, but when our management made light of the threat, Greg was so incensed that he quit his job.

Awesome.

You guys should have sent more death threats to Bethsoft, and just maybe, they'd quit their job before finishing Failure 3 :lol:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
mondblut said:
Jaesun said:
One fan was so angry at us for even considering introducing science fiction elements into the Heroes series that he sent a death threat to Greg. Naturally, this rattled my designer, but when our management made light of the threat, Greg was so incensed that he quit his job.

Awesome.

You guys should have sent more death threats to Bethsoft, and just maybe, they'd quit their job before finishing Failure 3 :lol:
Or instead, you could avoid buying the game?

when I start to play homm i had a painful feeling like someone is penetrating my ass with huge,multiheaded and radiated dick.You now the felling when someone kick you in to the balls?It was worse than that.I don not know why did those asshols make so ideiotic and gay towns like Necropolis or Rampart.It's more idiotic game than Oblivion or Moron fuckin wind.So fans go and fuck yourself. :evil:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That's not going to help us.

I think we need to either kill Beth or the morons that play their games.

I suggest releasing a new Jackass style video without any of the warnings. That should cut both their numbers down to about a third. After that we'll tell them their penises are shrinking away to nothing and they'll murder each other in a frenzy.

Fyz

Scholar
Are there any news about Jon Van Caneghem? Did he leave the game industry after New World Computing disappeared?

Luzur

Good Sir
Fyz said:
Are there any news about Jon Van Caneghem? Did he leave the game industry after New World Computing disappeared?

last news i heard is that he started up a broadband company with some other guy in california after quitting NCsoft.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Luzur said:
Fyz said:

last news i hard is that he started up a broadband company with some other guy in california after quitting NCsoft.
And all they have done is make some powerpoint presentations to investors to raise money for a project. They haven't started a single development yet.

Meh, whatever, Caneghem did well enough from HoMM to live a tidy life.

Fyz

Scholar
A shame really. Although I don't really know if he was involved in raping the MM franchise (I only remember reading that he had nothing to do with MM9 and was only present for the early stages of HoMM4's development) it's somewhat sad when a dev from the old times leaves the industry.
Oh well, probaby today's market wouldn't be 'ready' for a Caneghem style crawler anyway.

Luzur

Good Sir
well i heard he burned out after M&M7, so he was more home doing things then at work, he used just to pop in and look at things and say like "hi guys! looks okay, proceed!" then be off doing something else, like being at the race track. (i think he was into dragracing.)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
From 1 to 2 to 3, correct me if I'm wrong.
And I think you can import characters from Might & Magic 1 into either an Ultima or a Goldbox game, but don't trust me on that.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You must be right Jasede, because the beginning of 3 is of Sheltem The Dark congratulating you for beating him in the previous game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I know I imported my chars from 1 to 2 on the Macintosh versions (emulator, this one has the best graphics, stfu), but I really can't remember if you could go from 2 to 3. But why shouldn't you?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Because I have not really played the first two.

And theverybigslayer's mini-LP of it was also a little discouraging.

I mean:

1 Joker
1 Joker
1 Joker
1 Joker
1 Joker
1 Joker
1 Joker
1 Joker
1 Joker

+50 other Jokers

(A)ttack, (B)ribe, (H)ide, (R)un

(B)ribe with (F)ood, (G)old, or G(e)ms?

Um, what the hell is this stuff? I certainly don't see any of the charm of 3-5 in it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Try to think of it as old Wizardry, but with a different system, an overland map, many different dungeons and a lot of variety in monsters.

Luzur

Good Sir
Redlands said:
How far can you carry your party from Might and Magic 1?

only into M&M2, since M&M3 is on another planet. you reach CRON trough that "Gate to Another World" in M&M1. i did it between M&M1 and 2 atleast.

And I think you can import characters from Might & Magic 1 into either an Ultima or a Goldbox game, but don't trust me on that.

i believe it was doable to Bards Tale, Ultima and Wizardry and viceversa, if i remember it correctly.

SkeleTony

Augur
Wyrmlord said:
And as addendum, which segments of the series were more to your preference?

I-II, with the purely Wizardry style combat.

III-V, with ranged combat and terrain movement while in combat.

Or VI-IX with complete freelook and freemoving and a real-time combat system.

I voted for M&M 7 in the poll(Blood and Honor) and 6 & 7 had the best combat(which was either turn=based OR real time depending on your preferences).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom