Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might And Magic

What's the best one of them all?

• Might And Magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gates To Another World

• Isles Of Terra

• Clouds Of Xeen

• Darkside Of Xeen

• Mandate Of Heaven

• For Blood And Honor

• Day Of The Destroyer

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
Redlands said:
M&M 1 a great game for netbooks as it doesn't need the numpad very much, although not perfect as there's no automap. I'm playing it at the moment (not on a netbook, though). I think M&M 2 might be better as it has automap, but I want my party from 1.

hmm? im doing a playtrough too, with the PC version. didnt want to risk my original disks so i downloaded it from Abandonia.

Panthera

Scholar
Durwyn said:
Why no luv for M&M VIII ? I always thought that it was rather good, same quality as VII. Plus i liked the setting and race/class system.

VIII is the only one I've tried other than III. I didn't play very far, though, just past the first town/island chain. I did like what I tried. Kinda neat seeing groups of monsters fighting each other in battles. I remember hearing complaints about it being really unbalanced.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
7 was decent
8 was aight too but out dated
4 and 5 were decent but meh
6 sucked
1 sucked
2 sucked
3 sucked
9 made me wanna kill myself

dark messiah was pretty fun but that isn't in the poll :p

Hard Knox

Educated
Mandate of Heaven but I'm a graphics whore.

EDIT: Apparently there are 10 other graphics whores with me.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hard Knox said:
Mandate of Heaven but I'm a graphics whore.

EDIT: Apparently there are 10 other graphics whores with me.
This
World%20Of%20Xeen_7.png

looks better

than this
might6_790screen004.jpg

WalterKinde

Scholar
Mandate of Heaven because it was the first MM game i played for the pc.
Before i had MM 2 for the snes i believe while good it didnt hold a candle to mandate.
Then i got the MM collection that had world of Xeen, Mandate and For Blood and Honour, one thing i hated about Blood was that Acromage game, i know some people loved it but i hate mandatory card games/mini games in the rpgs i play.
So Mandate stands out for me over Blood, the games that followed after were disappointment after disappointment.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Micormic said:
dark messiah was pretty fun but that isn't in the poll :p
There are way too many M&M spinoffs to mention.
crusader_790screen001.jpg

legendsofmm_790screen001.jpg

womightandmagic_790screen001.jpg

2.gif

Might_and_Magic_Secret_of_the_Inner_Sanctum_NES_ScreenShot3.gif

heroes-of-might-and-magic-v-20060123065723212-000.jpg

750px-Darkmessiah_dragonfire.jpg

You'd need a whole different poll for all the Might And Magic spinoffs. And the problem is: I wouldn't even think of touching most of that stuff. Just look at all the generic third-person ARPGs with ugly graphics.

Actually, I don't even know what set of expectations M&M is supposed to satisfy. Do we see any mention of Sheltem The Dark or other early M&M lore in any of the other M&M stuff? Do these games take place even in the same worlds?

M&M just takes place in planets in space and each of these planets have medieval fantasy worlds, and occasionally, there is sci-fi space travel between these medieval fantasy planets. That's the only consistency I see in it. This is an insanely overused license.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
Doesn't wizardry basically use the exact same premise? Or is that only later in the series?
Yup, Wizardry is also fantasy in space, but between 6-8.

Might And Magic V, for example, was mainly centered around a technologically advanced alien overlord who has taken over as the leader of a world, and commands an army of cyborgs and spiderlike robots. He crashlanded into Xeen on a spaceship, and uses his advanced powers over space and time with his technology to shift Xeen towards his homeworld so he can conquer it again.

It's pretty interesting to move up from fairies and trolls to cyborgs and lasers, which is probably the draw of sci-fi-fantasy hybrid.

But it still amazes me that many of the games having the Might And Magic name have absolutely nothing to do with each other lorewise, making me wonder why they used the license in the first place.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've only played 3-4-5, which were all connected. Actually, finishing 4 and 5 made me want to go back and finish 3, but I've been spoiled on all the secrets and shit in 3 so it's kind of disappointing. Plus having to recast protection to all 4 elements and 4 different defensive buffs, and light, levitate, wizard eye, etc. every time I need to rest... fuck that. The early game is awesome though.

Black

Arcane
they all suck lol look at screenshots were they made in 1960 or what xD rafl play some real gaems liek oblivion.

made

Arcane
MM3 is the only one I actually played from start to finish back in the day. I guess I'd go with the Xeen game(s) because it's just like 3 only bigger and better - or so I assume based on reviews I've read in the past. Anything after 5 sucks. The poor 3d graffyx ruin my immersion.

Lonely Vazdru said:
I'd vote World of Xeen, since it's two for the price of one.
More like one for the price of two. Which makes me wonder, why the distinction in the poll? It's essentially one game, split into two parts to cash in double.

Luzur

Good Sir
Black said:
they all suck lol look at screenshots were they made in 1960 or what xD rafl play some real gaems liek oblivion.

GO BACK TO BED, KID. :x
M&M just takes place in planets in space and each of these planets have medieval fantasy worlds, and occasionally, there is sci-fi space travel between these medieval fantasy planets. That's the only consistency I see in it. This is an insanely overused license.

well the only real consistancy is from Might & Magic 1 to 5.

from Might & Magic 1-5 the player is chasing Sheltem troughout the different worlds, and from Might & Magic 6 and onwards to 8 the story is more about the lore of the Ancients and Kreegans.

the spin-off series where just stand alone stories with no ties with the original storyline, Heroes was the only spin-off series that had any close ties with the main RPG series.

and Might & Magic 9 was in a totally new world with some lore from the older games sprinkled here and there and Ubisofts games didnt have much of a backstory at all as far as i saw while playing them. they just wanted them to look cool, and while i found it to be quite fun kicking orcs down long stairs over and over again i never felt i was playing a Might & Magic game, even M&M9 was better at making me feel that.

Durwyn said:
Why no luv for M&M VIII ? I always thought that it was rather good, same quality as VII. Plus i liked the setting and race/class system.
I liked it, but it was really just more of the same from six and seven with some (poorly balanced) gimmicks thrown in. Taken individually it's not a bad game, but it doesn't really add anything. The series felt like it was on its last legs at that point, and, sadly, that turned out to be the case.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We seem to be steadily closing in on the true origin of Islam.

Lurkar

Scholar
I'm going with 7. I was leaning towards 6 until someone here reminded me of Arcomage, which was not only a completely non-neccisary minigame, but probably the only one in any game I've ever played that I really enjoyed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom