Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might And Magic

What's the best one of them all?

• Might And Magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gates To Another World

• Isles Of Terra

• Clouds Of Xeen

• Darkside Of Xeen

• Mandate Of Heaven

• For Blood And Honor

• Day Of The Destroyer

• Total voters

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So in what is probably the longest running and consistently priased series in gaming, which of the games made the strongest and most memorable impression on you?

I phrase it accordingly, because while "best game of the series" might be a succinct way of putting it, in a running series with games which always remained fun in their own right, sorting one to be better than the other might seem unfair to all of them.

So basically, what was the peak of your enjoyment with these games?

Andhaira

Arcane
7 was the best, followed by 6 then by 4 (clouds) then by 5 (darkside).

DaveO

Erudite
Darkside of Xeen. After that game, M&M arguably went downhill.

Luzur

Good Sir
i voted M&M 2, since it was the very first M&M i played on my C64.

but M&M 3 is in a close second place.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
And as addendum, which segments of the series were more to your preference?

I-II, with the purely Wizardry style combat.

III-V, with ranged combat and terrain movement while in combat.

Or VI-IX with complete freelook and freemoving and a real-time combat system.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I'd vote World of Xeen, since it's two for the price of one. But since the option is not present, sticking to a single game makes VI, "Mandate of heaven", get my vote. It's the one that lasts the longest for a single MM game. And I love them.

EDIT : I know the game is not really loved, but omitting MM IX altogether from the poll is radical.

As for preferences, then good old tile-based III-V. With VI-VIII inventory and character dolls. :wink:

Luzur

Good Sir
Jaesun said:
Luzur said:
i voted M&M 2, since it was the very first M&M i played on my Amiga 500.

This.

Jaesun, if we meet in person sometime lets cut our hands with a knife and become bloodbrothers.
EDIT : I know the game is not really loved, but omitting MM IX altogether from the poll is radical.

it becomes a little more playable with Bones TELP patch, so it was kinda wrong to not include it.

but I love 'em all Smile

this.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I included IX, but I always forget to press Add Option after typing in the last option, and I had pressed submit directly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Luzur said:
Jaesun said:
Luzur said:

This.

Jaesun, if we meet in person sometime lets cut our hands with a knife and become bloodbrothers.

You got it... Blood Brother!

on topic: You know I not to long ago I did a whole MM II to VII playthrough... and honestly just got burned out in VII. Dunno why, But I still enjoyed II to V as the most fun I had in this series.

Redlands

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Luzur said:

Ha ha, I remember I wanted this for my Amiga 500, but the box came with the PC version by mistake. And they didn't have another copy.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
DamnedRegistrations said:
Just found out about Swords of Xeen, has anyone played this? How does it compare to 3-5?

It's the same engine. So the game looks and plays the same. It's also just as huge. But unfortunately a lot emptier. The difficulty curve is rather tricky, some pretty early fights are really hard. The final dungeon is very boring. Some things are interesting, like the cities becoming more alive, as the game goes on.

All in all, not as good as III-V, but worth a try if you already played them... and still want more.

Probably M&M 2 for the Amiga. I must confess that I did not play any of the newer games to any degree after that though. Newer games, with more substance came along and I never really looked back (Goldbox series mainly, with other games/series like Magic Candle, Dragon Wars, Fate, etc ). When I ran out of tactical RPG's and looked back at the "Blob" series again, I found Wizardry 6 and 7. I preferred them to the M&M games.

Durwyn

Prophet
Why no luv for M&M VIII ? I always thought that it was rather good, same quality as VII. Plus i liked the setting and race/class system.

mondblut

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
Just found out about Swords of Xeen, has anyone played this? How does it compare to 3-5?

It uses Darkside engine/gfx, essentially more of the same in every aspect. If you totally love Darkside, you'll likely enjoy it, otherwise don't bother.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I only played played World of Xeen, and I remembered I enjoyed the Darkside part a bit more, but that's really if I have to chose one of the two. Haven't played any other unfortunately.

Redlands

Arcane
theverybigslayer said:
Redlands said:
Jaesun said:
Luzur said:

Ha ha, I remember I wanted this for my Amiga 500, but the box came with the PC version by mistake. And they didn't have another copy.

So did you have to buy a PC?

About six years later.

I think we got a refund on the game. It was annoying, because I really wanted it after playing King's Bounty.

M&M 1 a great game for netbooks as it doesn't need the numpad very much, although not perfect as there's no automap. I'm playing it at the moment (not on a netbook, though). I think M&M 2 might be better as it has automap, but I want my party from 1.

DaveO

Erudite
Swords of Xeen is a fan-based mod of the Xeen engine. I'd play the game only if you're interested in the series. This game has serious balance issues in terms of monsters, and you don't get much experience for your characters. Your characters start around level 8-9 and might get close to 30 by the end. And the ending is lame, but you can watch it below and decide if it's up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ziPiMU ... annel_page
Part 1 of the final dungeon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ywO_72I ... annel_page
Part 2 of the final dungeon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebe07UyX ... annel_page
Part 3 of the final dungeon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom