Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might And Magic

What's the best one of them all?

• Might And Magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gates To Another World

• Isles Of Terra

• Clouds Of Xeen

• Darkside Of Xeen

• Mandate Of Heaven

• For Blood And Honor

• Day Of The Destroyer

• Total voters

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yes, though I don't find it an entirely equal choice between them.

You can't move in turn-based mode. You have to move towards the enemy in real-time, and then press Enter to trigger turn-based mode.

And if the enemy starts moving away, you have to turn off turn-based and again move towards the enemy to turn it on again.

I'd say that the turn-based mode is somewhat stilted, with respect how you switch to it and what you can do in it. The game really seems like it was meant to be played in real-time, with turn-based as some sort of occasional convenience.

I still love the amazing character creation and development system that Mandate has, though.

Eldritch

Scholar
My fondest memories about VI and VII, especially in VI is that there are no artificial barriers and you can easily travel to a lot of new regions way out of your league. The creatures that awaits you both out in the open and in the dungeons were so goddamn unforgiving and powerful they made you build up radioactive levels of butthurt every time you explored some place new, and gave you an insane motivation to wipe their filthy lineage from the face of Enroth. Nothing is more satisfying than becoming level 10, traveling to Blackshire and thinking; -It's finally Kristallnacht for the werewolf furfaggotry. Then you kill a couple of em' out in the open, enter the werewolf dungeon and run around like a pussy waiting for your wizard to regenerate his 30 mana because he chewed the last of the blue mana roots after running out of potions, screaming TOWN PORTAL C'MON TOWN PORTAL with legions of greater werewolves coming for your ass.

I liked trying to isolate and kill powerful creatures in regions way out of my league, discovering the certain exploits to do so etc.

Luzur

Good Sir
Eldritch said:
My fondest memories about VI and VII, especially in VI is that there are no artificial barriers and you can easily travel to a lot of new regions way out of your league. The creatures that awaits you both out in the open and in the dungeons were so goddamn unforgiving and powerful they made you build up radioactive levels of butthurt every time you explored some place new, and gave you an insane motivation to wipe their filthy lineage from the face of Enroth. Nothing is more satisfying than becoming level 10, traveling to Blackshire and thinking; -It's finally Kristallnacht for the werewolf furfaggotry. Then you kill a couple of em' out in the open, enter the werewolf dungeon and run around like a pussy waiting for your wizard to regenerate his 30 mana because he chewed the last of the blue mana roots after running out of potions, screaming TOWN PORTAL C'MON TOWN PORTAL with legions of greater werewolves coming for your ass.

I liked trying to isolate and kill powerful creatures in regions way out of my league, discovering the certain exploits to do so etc.
i usually tried to get a wind master as fast as possible and then fly alot and strafe monters too big for my low-level team.

and i hated Werewolfs along with the Cuisinarts.

Eldritch

Scholar
I always felt like a "flying faggot" when I avoided outdoor monsters like that. One can almost hear all those mobs shouting -"come down here you flying fagets and face us before y'all level up too much". That's why I resorted to vindictive hit&run tactics, cheezy spells and persistent bowfire along with the exploitation of the primitive AI in various ways to complete the static outdoor creature mob genocide in various regions.

You just can't delay the final solution to the werewolf problem too much, else they produce music videos with werewolf rappers in bling seductively dancing with young adventurer women to corrupt our level 2 youth with their fur mixing and multikult.

Luzur

Good Sir
well using rivers or flying to the island temple pulling along the majority of the wrewolfs outside the cave opening then arrow fuck them was also useful, or luring them into town and land on a roof, or land on the circus tents.

Eldritch

Scholar
Yeah, those are p. much the tricks you eventually pull out outside the cave.

It is almost always a guaranteed instarape on your first playthrough when you first enter the werewolf dungeon and reach that antechamber with the pillars(?) after you pass the big caverns where dozens of them jumps out on you out of their hiding places where you had almost no chance for detecting and luring out in your first raid for a good old furry gangfuck. Those goddamn Greater Werewolves that ganged up on you instant KO'd your ass in melee range iirc.

Luzur

Good Sir
ah, where they spawn behind you and in the connection corridors? first time i wasnt prepare for it so it was townportal with only one guy still alive, and after that i didnt do that cave until i was like level 20.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Keep it up guys ! We're getting close to the point where you will make me want to play it, yet again.

Eldritch

Scholar
Luzur said:
ah, where they spawn behind you and in the connection corridors? first time i wasnt prepare for it so it was townportal with only one guy still alive, and after that i didnt do that cave until i was like level 20.

Yeah, that's exactly it. I also had exactly one guy left alive with town portal. All of this has happened before and it will happen again. :salute: :sosayweall:

It does make you feel pretty butthurt on the inside, so I just kept coming back for revenge whenever I had leveled up a little and ran out like a little bitch with every failed raid until I hit around like, yeah, lvl 15-20.

Fucken furfags.

mondblut

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
You can't move in turn-based mode. You have to move towards the enemy in real-time, and then press Enter to trigger turn-based mode.

Yes, you can. After everybody had their action in a turn, there is an additional turn phase when you can make several steps. The hand icon showcases that, when you move, it closes fingers one by one.

6+ are still gay though. 3-5 FTW.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
Keep it up guys ! We're getting close to the point where you will make me want to play it, yet again.
Well, one fun thing about the 3D Might And Magic games is that you face giant legions of enemies from all directions, and if you focus on and damage badly one of the really stronger guys, he'll run away and move behind those other enemies, leaving you with the more fresh mass enemies still clogging on you.

And then all those ranged attackers and spellcasters who stand behind those mobs of enemies and attack you with impunity - squeezing through that huge tight mass by hacking them over, until you finally reach those pesky spellcasters and hack them down is an intense pleasure.

The number of enemies is insane. I mean you open the door to the room, 12 snakes front and back spot you and rush at you, you kill all of them, you feel the satisfaction of a fight well done, and then upon entering, you notice that there are just as many snakes standing sideways which rush to attack you.

Furthermore, often while fighting, you are breaking down the front row of powerful enemies, slowly wearing them out, and getting ready to move on, only to find another group of enemies wandering the dungeon which have approached you from the behind and have been attacking you on the flank without you even noticing. That's one draw of these first-person games; you are left blind by being able to see only one side at a time, even with endless enemies from all directions.

One thing that is missing in these newer games is how in the older MMs, you would be in the woods and the forest, and your Danger Sense would alert you to enemies, even though you can't see them, and you would fire your arrows through the woods, until finding that those enemies are dead.

dan32

Novice
For blood and honour,simply because i can pick it up and play it at anytime and know ill enjoy it what ever path i select.

I liked them all really,all of them were pretty straightforward and i needed this as ive only had the internet for about 8-9 years so not getting stuck in a game was nice as it didnt break the flow of the game through my own frustration of not being able to complete somthing.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
mondblut said:
Wyrmlord said:

Yes, you can. After everybody had their action in a turn, there is an additional turn phase when you can make several steps. The hand icon showcases that, when you move, it closes fingers one by one.

6+ are still gay though. 3-5 FTW.
It should also be mentioned that 6+ have some of the worst 3D graphics one will ever see.

Even with older 3D games like BaK, it is still acceptable, because while the crude landscape is in 3D, it is decorated by detailed 2D sprites. Walking around the world of Mandate, you feel that it is a huge cardboard construct landscape, where even the coastal cliffs look flat and geometrical.

Also, in the 2D MM games, where you moved in tile steps, it felt like you could get anywhere quickly. There are many instances in MM6 where you are just walking, walking, and walking.

But don't get me wrong, Mandate is still a fine fine RPG.

SkeleTony

Augur
Wyrmlord said:
Yes, though I don't find it an entirely equal choice between them.

And if the enemy starts moving away, you have to turn off turn-based and again move towards the enemy to turn it on again.

I'd say that the turn-based mode is somewhat stilted, with respect how you switch to it and what you can do in it. The game really seems like it was meant to be played in real-time, with turn-based as some sort of occasional convenience.

I still love the amazing character creation and development system that Mandate has, though.

?! I don't think enemies run away in M&M 6 & 7. I never had to switch to real time mode EVER when I played.

EDIT: Oh yeah...I remember them trying to run a bit now(especially the trolls) but it was easy to hit them with spells and arrows so this wasn't a problem for me.

DaveO

Erudite
I'll tell the tale about my personal involvement with the Lord Brinne tribute in MM8. Is that enough to sweeten the incentive to install MM6?

Luzur

Good Sir
he was that forum moderator (i think, its been years since i was on the 3DO forums) who died and was immortalized in the game, right?

DaveO

Erudite
I figure there's a zero sum interest, so I'm withdrawing my offer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom