Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA leaves Obsidian

MCA's next employer?

• Bethesda

Votes: 77 15.5%
  • InXile

Votes: 154 31.0%
  • Cleve

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • Larian

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • EA

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • Himself

Votes: 61 12.3%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Blizzard

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Zynga

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • Gaben

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Richard Garriot

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Kirkbride

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Bioware

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, Chris Avellone has left Obsidian?

:bounce:

The only sad news, kiddies, is that this is actually good news.

BTW: If I has a PoE box signed by Avellone, I would feel really shitty right now, knowing what he must have known when drawing the trolls on it. The irony of life.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So, Chris Avellone has left Obsidian?

:bounce:

The only sad news, kiddies, is that this is actually good news.

BTW: If I has a PoE box signed by Avellone, I would feel really shitty right now, knowing what he must have known when drawing the trolls on it. The irony of life.

I don't think this is the case.. The language he used around PoE launch had a very "I'm gonna be around for a while" vibe to it.

I think the -triggering- moment was when he posted that message about the things he loved being torn down. He probably had a secret project that he was investing 90% of his time into and then the publisher / funding backed out and he finally said FUCK IT.. Obsidian is suffering from serious battered house wife syndrome when it comes to dealing with publishers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's......... fitting.

:)

watch-this-revealing-documentary-on-the-making-of-stanley-kubricks-a-clockwork-orange.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wanted to say thanks to all of you who've written in with support and well wishes - I have over a hundred messages in my inbox, so forgive me if I still haven't gotten back to anyone, but know that I do appreciate the kind words, it's been heartwarming, but I guess that's why you're my friends. smile emoticon I did want to say I'm not leaving the industry - far from it, I love game design, and will do it until I'm in the coffin.

Also, for any friends texting or calling, I did want to let you know that I canceled my phone number (talking on the phone is hard enough because I'm partially deaf), so if you called or texted, chances are I may not have gotten your message over the past week. If you need to reach me, feel free to reach out to me here in the meantime, and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Again, thanks so much for the well-wishes. Right back at you. heart emoticon

From MCA's facebook. Didn't know he is partially deaf. How can a god be deaf?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
  • Left his life long career randomly last week
  • Nobody seems to have seen it coming including close friends and family
  • Out of contact with friends and family and getting called by them constantly
  • Cancels his phone number
  • Keeps bringing up "Until I'm in the coffin"

Now I am starting to worry about the guy.. :|

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Suddenly canceling your phone plan is superweird, like one step away from becoming a total recluse.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It was a corporate number, he had to cancel.

Can you confirm this..? Is that normal in America?
You don't normally cancel your number, You can switch your plan while keeping the number.. Or you usually have 2 plans on 1 or 2 phones.

When I was given a company phone I wasn't forced to switch off my personal plan.

EDIT:
Unless he is moving out of the area code.. this doesn't make much sense.

EDIT EDIT:
Now that I think about it. The audience he is speaking to on facebook is likely his "work friends" and fanbase.. Maybe he doesn't give his personal number out to people outside his inner social circle and all these people were calling him on a work number.. which is why he is diverting their communications to facebook instead.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You don't normally cancel your number, You can switch your plan while keeping the number.. Or you usually have 2 plans on 1 or 2 phones.

When I was given a company phone I wasn't forced to switch off my personal plan.

I'm guessing you were not in an executive position though. Plus there is the odd chance that Avellone might've not wanted to answer all the Obsidian related stuff for the next few years.

Edit: also, move this back to GRPGD you god damn autists :M

agris

Arcane
Patron
It was a corporate number, he had to cancel.
I assumed this also. As co-owner, I would bet his phone was OE property. What's odd is that he didn't go into a cell store and transfer the number immediately.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I'm guessing you were not in an executive position though.

Your right but what is your point. The phone was completely paid for and while I had to relinquish it when I left the company. My point was that I had a personal phone for friends and family and didn't need to cancel that after I left too..

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can you confirm this..?
I can confirm that, MCA whispered it to me personally in my ear, gently, like a summer breeze over a calm sea on a hot day.

"Turn in your blackberry, you fucking nobody", Feargus screeched at the top of his voice like a hysterical woman that he was. MCA calmly unholstered his phone and smashed it on the table in front of him with a force so astounding, that it caused all windows in the building to resonate and made the ugly fat man jump up in his seat. The unexpectedness of it made Feargus sweat profusely all over his body. Instinctively, he dropped his eyes to his lap and decided to keep it that way, unable to meet the brightness of the gaze he knew was pointed directly at him. After what seemed like eternity to Feargus, MCA turned around and walked out the door. "We don't need you anyway, Josh's writing is way better than yours!", Chris heard the obese man shriek behind his back, but he just kept on walking in slow-mo like a badass with a giant explosion happening behind his back and butthurt debris flying all over the place. In his mind, he was already far away from this rotten place, he was already picturing the happy face of his old bro Brian when he'd finally break the news to him. He was happy.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"Every monumental work of the State is measured by cubits. Every cubit is measured by the length of the Avellone’s bicep. And the Avellone’s bicep, they say, stands beyond measure. But I say the Avellone’s arm is measured by the length of a cubit, and that all cubits are measured by the works of the State. Not even the All stands beyond measure, for it is more than what lies within it, and “more” is a kind of measure. Even the God has His cubits." -COMPENDIUM OF THE FALL, Heresies of Sawyer

ColCol

Arcane
The recent phone and coffin comments make me a little bit worried.....but I'm sure he will be fine. Fine, as long as he doesn't encounter any wolves.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Can you confirm this..?
I can confirm that, MCA whispered it to me personally in my ear, gently, like a summer breeze over a calm sea on a hot day.

"Turn in your blackberry, you fucking nobody", Feargus screeched at the top of his voice like a hysterical woman that he was. MCA calmly unholstered his phone and smashed it on the table in front of him with a force so astounding, that it caused all windows in the building to resonate and made the ugly fat man jump up in his seat. The unexpectedness of it made Feargus sweat profusely all over his body. Instinctively, he dropped his eyes to his lap and decided to keep it that way, unable to meet the brightness of the gaze he knew was pointed directly at him. After what seemed like eternity to Feargus, MCA turned around and walked out the door. "We don't need you anyway, Josh's writing is way better than yours!", Chris heard the obese man shriek behind his back, but he just kept on walking in slow-mo like a badass with a giant explosion happening behind his back and butthurt debris flying all over the place. In his mind, he was already far away from this rotten place, he was already picturing the happy face of his old bro Brian when he'd finally break the news to him. He was happy.

"WE don't need you - WE have Josh!" :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom