Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA leaves Obsidian

MCA's next employer?

• Bethesda

Votes: 77 15.5%
  • InXile

Votes: 154 31.0%
  • Cleve

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • Larian

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • EA

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • Himself

Votes: 61 12.3%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Blizzard

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Zynga

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • Gaben

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Richard Garriot

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Kirkbride

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Bioware

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters

Janslin

Novice
Suddenly canceling your phone plan is superweird, like one step away from becoming a total recluse.

Uh.. no.

For those of out there who don't know life without cell phones perhaps cancelling their phone is unfathomable, but for those of us who lived a long happy life prior to cell phones, cancelling our phone plan can be downright liberating. After quitting a job is often a perfect time to do it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
  • Left his life long career randomly last week
  • Nobody seems to have seen it coming including close friends and family
  • Out of contact with friends and family and getting called by them constantly
  • Cancels his phone number
  • Keeps bringing up "Until I'm in the coffin"
Now I am starting to worry about the guy.. :|

Canceling your domestic phone plan is sensible if you move abroad long-term, otherwise the international fees will eat you and your contacts alive. It's narrowed down to Larian and CDPR in my mind now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For those of out there who don't know life without cell phones perhaps cancelling their phone is unfathomable, but for those of us who lived a long happy life prior to cell phones, cancelling our phone plan can be downright liberating. After quitting a job is often a perfect time to do it.

He probably doesn't have a landline (these days, pretty much only old people do and even that's dropping) and life without a phone means the internet is the only way to contact/be contacted. If that messes up, well. Additionally, he'll be in quite the bind should he ever need to call 911 or any other emergency number.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Can you confirm this..? Is that normal in America?
You don't normally cancel your number, You can switch your plan while keeping the number.. Or you usually have 2 plans on 1 or 2 phones.

When I was given a company phone I wasn't forced to switch off my personal plan.
Did the company allow you to keep their number for use as your own personal number after you quit them though? I highly doubt it.

It's normal for any company in the world to want their corporate number back after you leave. And I cannot imagine why you'd want to keep the corporate number as your own. Sure you can switch plans and keep the number... which is exactly what you wouldn't want to do in this case.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Remember it's an independent game studio, not quite Chevron. They wear t-shirts and shorts to work. Not wanting to keep your 'corporate' number is totally understandable, but the line between friends/acquaintances and business associates is probably blurrier for them.

Also, while I'm a bit younger than MCA, most of my friends and myself included would hate having multiple numbers. It's something that we see the older generation do with work/personal phones but I say fuuuuuck that.

Cnaiur

Augur
I'm using my corporate phone for private communication for years now. Don't even have a personal plan, and when I leave the organisation I'll return my phone and number, and only communicate my new number to the people I want. Great way to downsize your address book and incoming calls every couple of years.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Can you confirm this..? Is that normal in America?
You don't normally cancel your number, You can switch your plan while keeping the number.. Or you usually have 2 plans on 1 or 2 phones.

When I was given a company phone I wasn't forced to switch off my personal plan.
Did the company allow you to keep their number for use as your own personal number after you quit them though? I highly doubt it.

It's normal for any company in the world to want their corporate number back after you leave. And I cannot imagine why you'd want to keep the corporate number as your own. Sure you can switch plans and keep the number... which is exactly what you wouldn't want to do in this case.

I thought he had changed his personal number.
As I already said.. It now seems more likely that he was giving out his work number to friends and fans on facebook which is why he is diverting their communications to facebook.

AKA he doesn't give his personal number out.

I'm using my corporate phone for private communication for years now. Don't even have a personal plan, and when I leave the organisation I'll return my phone and number, and only communicate my new number to the people I want. Great way to downsize your address book and incoming calls every couple of years.

I agree that this is the most likely case.. As I said - I probably misunderstood the audience he was talking to when he said his phone was disconnected. I thought it was close friends and families.. not his bloated fanbase.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
You guys know nothing.
He saw the light of ALLAH and after E3, he'll be travelling to the ME to become a Jihadi Bride.

That actually sounds better than Bethesda. At least there he can be creative all he wants!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That meme about all things being fine as long as he doesn't encounter wolves...

Not possible. We're the fucking wolves here, and if he fucks up in his life choices / next project, then we'll be the ones to eat him alive.

We're hungry for KFC MCA.

:kfc:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
It's hard to work at some irrelevant Obsidian nonsense when you're this hype for the next industry slamdunk AAAA+ hit:

CHo9FjYWgAIfjVt.jpg

CHuZ-LrVEAAn4AE.jpg

:thumbsup:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's hard to work at some irrelevant Obsidian nonsense when you're this hype for the next industry slamdunk AAAA+ hit:
CHo9FjYWgAIfjVt.jpg

CHuZ-LrVEAAn4AE.jpg

:thumbsup:
I'm actually happy that MCA is still a cool guy who is enthusiast about videogames, even if they are AAA games. Compare it with the Bioware and Bethesda droids who behave as a corporate drone.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mike Laidlaw has donated to far more Kickstarter RPGs than Avellone.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

He probably doesn't have a landline (these days, pretty much only old people do and even that's dropping) and life without a phone means the internet is the only way to contact/be contacted. If that messes up, well. Additionally, he'll be in quite the bind should he ever need to call 911 or any other emergency number.

As an FYI, e-911 is a thing for VoIP numbers, at least in North America. For ~$1/month you can tie your number to a physical location so if you have fallen and you can't get up (or speak) emergency services can locate you even if you are on a VoIP line.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that Sawyer caused MCA to leave or are the PoE haters just writing fanfiction as usual...?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any evidence whatsoever that Sawyer caused MCA to leave or are the PoE haters just writing fanfiction as usual...?

If MCA left because of something that happened with Obsidian's secret project, as many Codexers suspect, it would seem to be a virtual certainty that Sawyer had nothing to do with it. He's 100% on PoE as far as we know.

Last edited:

Love

Cipher
Keep in mind, that Infinitron has been busy deleting every post hinting at Avellone's sexual escapades so it's pretty safe to assume, that it's some kind of Californian sex scandal. Not sure if role-playing was involved though.

Latro

Arcane
Sawyer's the perfect villain to any story. Intelligent but full of malice. Demure yet irrascible. A strong love of social justice for all races and sexes, despite his particular German heritage. Betrayed the grognards for the masses, to keep his company afloat through keeping journos and casuals happy. He is the lawful evil villain who is right in the end. The world shall be balanced, or it shall perish.

he's just a know it all who got free reign. Feargus is to blame, he willfully lied about there being a passion to FINALY be able to freely develop the games of yesteryear. They falsely claimed a love for the games and mechanics of old to squeeze money from game-starved oldfags. They can all go to hell.

Poor MCA, he never stood a chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom