Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA leaves Obsidian

MCA's next employer?

• Bethesda

Votes: 77 15.5%
  • InXile

Votes: 154 31.0%
  • Cleve

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • Larian

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • EA

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • Himself

Votes: 61 12.3%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Blizzard

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Zynga

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • Gaben

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Richard Garriot

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Kirkbride

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Bioware

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters
Is there any evidence whatsoever that Sawyer caused MCA to leave or are the PoE haters just writing fanfiction as usual...?

If MCA left because of something that happened with Obsidian's secret project, as many Codexers suspect
Right, but is there a shred of evidence supporting this suspicion? Like anything at all?

Latro

Arcane
Is there any evidence whatsoever that Sawyer caused MCA to leave or are the PoE haters just writing fanfiction as usual...?

If MCA left because of something that happened with Obsidian's secret project, as many Codexers suspect
Right, but is there a shred of evidence supporting this suspicion? Like anything at all?
nope

maybe we'll hear something in a tell-all interview 10-20 years from now like with the sirotech folks

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Not really, no. All we really know is that judging from Obsidian's reaction to the events, it seems likely that this happened because of some recent negative event, rather than being the result of a decision that Avellone arrived at a long time ago. But even that is just conjecture.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Absolutely not.. I posted a video of Sawyer cutting off avellone in a Q&A and his salty "well then.." facial expression.. but that was heavily footnoted with Tinfoil hat warnings.
Honestly it probably has to do with the fact that Obsidian gets crapped on by every publisher.. ever.. and it seems to always be after avellone invests months of time writing and storyboarding out designs.

Imagine 90% of your creative work is canned because publishers gonna publisher.. All other theories are just for trolling poe fanboys AFAIK.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The reaction in that video was far stronger than the situation demanded, suggesting an existing frustration. I read from MCA in the 1.5 relevant seconds:

- I imagine I should take this one since it is my work
- I lean into the mic and give a glance towards the press and the rest of the panel... 'I'll take this one'
- Without a glance or seemingly any consideration, Sawyer starts flapping his gums about a subject he is not an authority on (PS:T writing).
- Oh, so I am not going to speak about MY writing from an completely unrelated project?
- OK, so I have been chopped off at the knees rather inconsiderately
- I tilt my head to the side to indicate "this is fucked" at nobody in particular and make an OK face/eye roll gesture
- Indicates he has experienced himself or his work being trivialized or undervalued
- I sit back in the chair, disengaged
- I fold my arms, closing myself off from what is happening
- I have a drink of water so I can conceal my frustration
- I'd like to be anywhere but here right now

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sawyer's the perfect villain to any story. Intelligent but full of malice. Demure yet irrascible. A strong love of social justice for all races and sexes, despite his particular German heritage. Betrayed the grognards for the masses, to keep his company afloat through keeping journos and casuals happy. He is the lawful evil villain who is right in the end. The world shall be balanced, or it shall perish.
The scales tip for no man.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Absolutely not.. I posted a video of Sawyer cutting off avellone in a Q&A and his salty "well then.." facial expression.. but that was heavily footnoted with Tinfoil hat warnings.
Honestly it probably has to do with the fact that Obsidian gets crapped on by every publisher.. ever.. and it seems to always be after avellone invests months of time writing and storyboarding out designs.

Imagine 90% of your creative work is canned because publishers gonna publisher.. All other theories are just for trolling poe fanboys AFAIK.

Do you have link for that handy?

The plot thickens

lcMMrvg.png

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lead Writer of Adventure Y?
:hmmm:

So, what if it's a new IE game set in the Planescape universe with MCA as writer and creative director? I'd buy it in an instant.

I mean, their writing is the reason I don't like Beamdog, so if that's solved by MCA...

The reaction in that video was far stronger than the situation demanded, suggesting an existing frustration. I read from MCA in the 1.5 relevant seconds:

- I imagine I should take this one since it is my work
- I lean into the mic and give a glance towards the press and the rest of the panel... 'I'll take this one'
- Without a glance or seemingly any consideration, Sawyer starts flapping his gums about a subject he is not an authority on (PS:T writing).
- Oh, so I am not going to speak about MY writing from an completely unrelated project?
- OK, so I have been chopped off at the knees rather inconsiderately
- I tilt my head to the side to indicate "this is fucked" at nobody in particular and make an OK face/eye roll gesture
- Indicates he has experienced himself or his work being trivialized or undervalued
- I sit back in the chair, disengaged
- I fold my arms, closing myself off from what is happening
- I have a drink of water so I can conceal my frustration
- I'd like to be anywhere but here right now
:hmmm:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still fear he'll join a studio and make a game I have absolutely no interest in.

The last time I felt this kind of fear was when anus_pounder started stalking me. (haven't seen him in ages)

Latro

Arcane
A leap most definitely, but I suspect there is some truth there.
body language and little things like that do say a lot about people

sawyer is an intrepid and ambitious man, who must let his opinion be heard, additionally he is a tad overconfident for he is often among his cohorts which very likely consist of white tattoed vegans. as a result however, he has the physique/posture of a chihuahua-man relying on the gift of gab and abusing verbal social cues to drown inferiors out. avellone is a polite guy who works out and trains everyday. he has the gentle face of a golden retriever and is generally laid-back, but would probably defend his friends in a fight.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Helping Beamdog make a PS:T EE, if that is indeed their ambition, would be a noble deed. They might have done it without him and fucked it up.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Helping Beamdog make a PS:T EE, if that is indeed their ambition, would be a noble deed. They might have done it without him and fucked it up.
Add lots of cool content into areas that are now just inhabited by too much combat would be awesome :)

Athelas

Arcane
It would be pretty cool. PS:T has quite a bit of cut content, including a companion influence system. There's even unused voice acting for the cut content within the game files.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just adding cut content isn't necessarily a good thing. Sometimes it is better left cut. See the Fallout 2 Restoration Project.

Though there might be a few things here and there that were cut that might be good to include.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom