Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic remake from Thea developers and Slitherine

mastroego

Arcane
I did have hopes for this remake.
Sad.

Naraya

Arcane
Deus Vult and good riddance. Why is anyone surprised when nobody asked for this abomination, especially when Caster of Magic exists.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't think these devs are bad or incompetent or anything. Thea was a good game.

I just think that you just can't recreate the magic of something. That's all there is to it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can, they just went about doing it the worst way possible. 3D was a mistake, no gameplay changes was a mistake, the things they did change were the wrong ones, etc.

mastroego

Arcane
I mean, just copy everything exactly as it is, update the graphics a bit and add modern QoL features to the UI.
BOOM.

But no, we can't have that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's what they did, though. It has glaring balance problems, however, and the city spam is an issue as well. There were a lot of things they could've touched up in the gameplay department to make it better. I'm glad the fewer than 40 people who are playing this are enjoying it. On top of that, they've never had a decent sale, so good luck with the future of this game.

mastroego

Arcane
I heard they changed a lot of things.
There have been comments in this very thread. And that robot DLC or whatever that is doesn't exactly feel like a faithful addition...

Lacrymas

Arcane
They changed a couple of things that were deemed too hard to implement in the engine, like every hydra head being treated as a separate entity, but stuff like 11 death books into wraiths are still in.

If you are going to make the game single player only (which was a mistake), why not leave in all of the fun things like that?

Blake00

Learned
MuHa & Slitherine have revealed another new wizard coming in their 'Rise of the Soultrapped' DLC. Grendel the Troll is very might over magic focused and thus able to command very powerful armies.

Unlike the previous update this one I don't hate lol.. As a warlord player who likes relying on buffed armies & heroes instead of summons I kinda like the idea of a uber warlord trait with army regen.. assuming they get the balancing right as that sounds pretty darn powerful lol.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1623070/announcements/detail/5442089818732493164

59f2c229486de0af8a2a54658f47623cb61f18e1.jpg

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Thea 3 would be amazing if they did it right. Which they obviously wouldn't.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't think these devs are bad or incompetent or anything. Thea was a good game.

I just think that you just can't recreate the magic of something. That's all there is to it.

I disagree. You absolutely can. You have to want to though. These devs didn't want to. There were a plethora of choices before release that boiled down to, "We don't want the old fans!". Unfortunately reboot/remakes tend to have this problem, a company wants the brand recognition of the franchise to move boxes, but they also want to capture the fabled new audience, so they end up pissing off everyone and releasing a mediocre product.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You can make a killing by taking an old franchise and making it retarded (XCOM and Fallout are the two standout examples), but you need money and dedication. Projects like this one, where you simply end up with an inferior copy of the original, are completely pointless and I really have no idea how they get greenlit and what is the business plan. I assume they must somehow turn out a profit due to sheer cheapness of everything.

Still a wasted opportunity, with some actual effort and a bit of budget you could easily turn MoM into a game with respectable playerbase and fantasy-themed 4X strategy with proper mechanics is definitely a niche in need of a filling.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
You can make a killing by taking an old franchise and making it retarded (XCOM and Fallout are the two standout examples), but you need money and dedication. Projects like this one, where you simply end up with an inferior copy of the original, are completely pointless and I really have no idea how they get greenlit and what is the business plan. I assume they must somehow turn out a profit due to sheer cheapness of everything.

Still a wasted opportunity, with some actual effort and a bit of budget you could easily turn MoM into a game with respectable playerbase and fantasy-themed 4X strategy with proper mechanics is definitely a niche in need of a filling.
I think AoW4 came out way too soon for Slitherine and MuHa to have a chance. The game is also a bit mid. Half the users wanted CoM rather than pure MoM, others wanted a modern UI. For others the ripped off Thea icons are offputting. I don't understand why you'd halfass a remake like that. Either be totally pure, do CoM instead or be modern but don't blend.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I really don't think AoW4, or any other game, had impact on this remake's chances, there just weren't any chances to have impact on. It just can't stand on its own two legs, brings nothing to the table, looks/feels embarrassingly cheap (just look at the "art" posted on previous page) and is aggressively priced on top of that (slitherine...).

I've also just checked and, as I suspected, AoW4's "popularity" was nothing but a comet. It's now at circa 500 concurrent players just like Planetfall was and I'm willing to take a bet it won't be recovering from that, some slight post-dlc spikes excluded. It also absolutely sucks as an actual 4X, so that niche is still as void as it has been.

Lacrymas

Arcane
AoW4 has nothing to offer outside of 2-3 random maps and it's too unbalanced for PvP. MoM has a lot to offer and people still play it after almost 30 years. This remake, however, is just ugly and unnecessary in its current form, the original still looks better, lol.

index.php

Arcane
Master of Magic: An expansive Free Update is coming on August 28th

Set to launch on August 28th, in conjunction with the release of the DLC Rise of the Soultrapped, a substantial free update will also be introduced.

f047efe928a6fc2b0717cbab411c13d661cddc44.png

Players can choose to play this free update

Below, you'll find all the key features of this update:

Steam Workshop: A comprehensive overhaul of the modding tools and the integration of modding into the Steam Workshop.

5880b9bacacf12a12c0870432fb3688f3988d335.png

A list of Quality of Life improvements, including:

Management of memory for assets: As we and modders add more assets, memory demands increase.
Quick Load/Save option
Increased distance between towns to reduce city spam

031af913cb4276808f8e51ca3efd0d4fb02697b8.png

Favorites in the spellbook and a repeat spell button
Display of current game settings available for viewing in-game

Hero recruitment:
When recruiting a hero via a spell or trader, you will now have a choice between two random heroes.

Through the Myrror content update: The Wizard Trait 'I Need a Hero!' will now provide an additional hero choice when recruiting.

This update will be released for free to everyone on August 28th. Don't miss the chance to download it and embark on your new adventure

Buy Master of Magic now:

Zeriel

Arcane

The irony is a lot of the cheap, no-brand-name clones before this like the first Warlock did so on a budget. They weren't great, but at least they were okay fun. Age of Wonders comes to mind too.

I think how this happens is that eventually over the years the IP drifts from one owner to another until you get someone who sees no value in it whatsoever, who will sell it off to a chop-shop for actual pennies, and at that point even just a few thousand curiosity buyers out of nostalgia sake can turn a profit when you have sub-indie grade budget and effort invested. It's like The Asylum, but for video games, if The Asylum could somehow get its hands on the actual property and franchise names for the movies it badly copies.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I consider getting this, is it any good? I thought I could play it with the wife but was surprised it's SP only, which is why I have not bought it at release.
Is it at least good as an SP game?

I haven't played MoM back then.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I consider getting this, is it any good? I thought I could play it with the wife but was surprised it's SP only, which is why I have not bought it at release.

No. Ignoring all the gameplay changes and omissions, just playing the game itself feels like a chore. The pace of this iteration is glacial. The original is faster, snappier and has no load times. All of these elements contribute to a better player experience.

Also be aware that Caster of Magic is an overhaul mod that changes the game drastically. It's not a QoL update. Try both MoM and CoM first to see which one you prefer.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

No. Ignoring all the gameplay changes and omissions, just playing the game itself feels like a chore. The pace of this iteration is glacial. The original is faster, snappier and has no load times. All of these elements contribute to a better player experience.

Also be aware that Caster of Magic is an overhaul mod that changes the game drastically. It's not a QoL update. Try both MoM and CoM first to see which one you prefer.

Yeah old game and CoM was cheap enough, it cost me 2 bucks, I will MoM standalone first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom