Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic remake from Thea developers and Slitherine

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Only a hopeless idiot would have expected any other outcome.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I liked Thea 1 and even 2, but I'm so happy this bombed. What did this add to the gaming milieu? Nothing of value.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would anyone play this? It looks worse than games like Age of Wonders 3 and AoW3 already doesn't look particularly great. The maps look barren and lifeless, both on the campaign and tactical side. The gameplay is also an acquired taste, it functions much differently than the aforementioned AoW3 and is not "modern" by any means. I honestly don't know what they could've done to improve MoM, even just the graphics. Maybe keep the 2D, but make the sprites more crisp like Blizz did with SC1? That's what I would've done if Slitherine barged into my house demanding I remake MoM with a gun to my head. I'd also just rebalance some blatantly op shit like early wraiths. Maybe create some form of story campaign to go along with everything, or just do like Gladius and write unique quests for each leader you can turn off in the map settings before a game if you want to. Obviously fix the map generation because it can box you in quite badly if you are unlucky.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
They should have made the graphics more hi res. That's it. No 3d, no "reimagining."

Mazisky

Magister
Honestly if they did like Age of Empires 2 Definitive it woudl have been way better.

That remaster shows how you should port an old 2d game to modern times.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So this means a proper remake will never come I suppose....
With Axioms on one side and Dominions 5 on the other, and then the AoW sequels lately, is there anything stand out from MoM that you can't get somewhere else? Like yeah no straight RotP type clones but plenty of things that take the cool parts, especially magic, up a notch.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Dominions 5 doesn't have direct unit control. It doesn't have the atmosphere of MoM, either.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Dominions 5 doesn't have direct unit control. It doesn't have the atmosphere of MoM, either.
Sure but it has the crazy spells angle covered. I guess if you want every single part of MoM in a single package...

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Sure but it has the crazy spells angle covered. I guess if you want every single part of MoM in a single package...
Those two are the important aspects of MoM that haven't been replicated well together in this style of games in my opinion. It doesn't have to be exactly like MoM but it would be nice to have a new game that is a worthy successor with those elements.

Gaznak

Learned
They also used a bunch of Thea art assets in this game. Mostly resource/skill icons I think.

Oh, really? Cheap whores are cheap. No, wait...

The MuHa guys are good people who did their best

No whores? Damn, I was so close. No, wait...

Technically it have giga memory leak that make it hard to play any longer time.
It looks like crap, ugly and with crappy UI and terrible styles. It lack options - like why I can only put 4 enemy wizards as opponents? Why no ability to choose type of landscape for map generation? . Its buggy, battle simulation is just out of the place. And did I mention that it looks like crap? because it looks like crap and UI is 10x worse than original.

Now I see it. They are good people anyway, they just had to choose another jobs. And they will in short time, I suppose.

Cael

Arcane
So, what's the latest on this? Has is graduated from trainwreck to ground zero at Hiroshima yet, or has it managed to redeem itself?

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's the same game as MoM with worse graphics, there is nothing to redeem here. Maybe if they are serious about tweaking the gameplay it could turn out ok, but I doubt they would do that.

Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
Looks like the addon content is coming for it though lol! They've announced a new free update called "Through the Myrror" is coming adding a number of new things, and they've revealed the first of them which is a new myrran nature Wizard Tlachtga, the Goblin druid.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1623070/view/3682291689335061315

Which of course had everyone thinking "Well there must be a goblin race coming" and sure enough now that's been announced too...
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1623070/view/3682292513183048363

17ffbda25112ff0aa2b314563ee72a1dbd1a4c0c.jpg

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
Master of Magic: Through the Myrror free update is out now

Attention all Wizards! The highly anticipated Master of Magic: Through the Myrror free update is finally here, bringing new content and features to enhance your gameplay experience.

Get ready to meet new Wizards, recruit powerful heroes, and face challenging foes as you wield magic like never before.

Download the update now and let the adventure begin! And if you still haven't joined the world of Master of Magic, now is the time for
a special deal with 15% off!

Lacrymas

Arcane
That trailer looks and sounds like a parody. The narrator struggles to keep up his gruff voice lol. Also, this update is a nothing burger. At this point, I feel bad for the devs.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
That trailer looks and sounds like a parody. The narrator struggles to keep up his gruff voice lol. Also, this update is a nothing burger. At this point, I feel bad for the devs.
Das Tactic has been playing a ton of this but that might just be nostalgia and he is waiting for AoW4 to pop.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Don't know about parody, but making the trailer focus heavily on the bland, extremely cheap-looking, completely still 2d "art" is definitely a marketing brainfart, particularly when you consider the actual price being asked.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They'd have to pay me and let me castigate them for every blasphemous thing I see for me to play it.

You keep talking about Chaos wizards and one spell makes me wonder if you are adaptable enough to have an actual discussion on a tactical or strategic game. I seem to recall a similar argument we have in the HBS Turd game thread where you fixated on one thing and went psycho over it instead of adapting your playstyle vs that one thing.

I'm pointing it out because Chaos Wizards have one of the strongest direct attack, which is part of the theme of chaos. In case you hadn't noticed, the Wizard I'm fighting in that screenshot is a Death Wizard. So that's 2/5 wizards. I also talked about Magician spam being enough to destroy heroes and Magicians are available to Wizards. Do you have an argument or are you just going to whine? I don't recall what argument you are talking about, you're probably hallucinating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom