Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 : LP Complete, Releasing Control.

Esquilax

Arcane
Jaedar said:
This whole business is dumb. Why is there no option to keep the base and give it to allience military? Shephard has the only known IFF in the galaxy to access it.

There are plenty of logical reasons not to give the base to Cerberus: pretty much everyone who has used Reaper technology has become affected by it in some way (i.e. the derelict Reaper still indoctrinated Cerberus operatives studying it 37 million years after it had been rendered dormant). Also, giving away the technology would tip the scales of power in the galaxy heavily in favour of the Illusive Man, which I guess a non-EXTREME pussy Shepard would disapprove of.

The real reason it's dumb is that the most logical solution is ignored, as you mentioned. It tries to pidgeonhole you into doing making one of two decisions that are pretty fucking absurd. I would be perfectly fine with this whole base thing if you could provide the base to the Alliance or even the Council. It would result in indoctrination of the people involved in studying the new tech and in the faction becoming a bit more power-hungry and EXTREME as a result of this new resource they've got, but no, that would actually be interesting.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
root said:
RK47 said:
From the Paragon standpoint, they will never do anything questionable, nor morally grey in order to accomplish things. No threats, nor intimidations. The moment Collector / Reaper technology is mentioned, Paragons would want this tech destroyed at all cost, not assimilated. Especially when it falls into the hands of a 'Renegade' cell like Cerberus. They may be on humanity's side, but their track record is anything but clean.

Renegade standpoint, they'll do anything to get the job done, take a hostage, shoot a hostage, sacrifice innocents, use questionable technology, anything to gain the edge in the conflict, including working and cooperating with a shadowy organization like Cerberus.

yeah, that makes sense. but that 'cerberus terrorist' shpiel is exactly my problem with the whole thing: during the game, Cerberus never really does something questionable to maintain that belief. Torturing quarians for information? No, turns out they were actually treating the poor sod with stabilizing drugs. Rogue AIs? Rogue Cerberus operatives. Horrible experiments on children to bioticise them and make them insufferable cunts? Rogue Cerberus operatives. And the list goes on, really. Yeah, they have a track record (apparently in ME1, which I didn't play so :M) but they don't really live up to it during the game. Bioware didn't take the plunge and let you play as part of an actually evil organization, though no doubt by ME3 they will go full retardo again.

You could make the point that all this shit was covered up by Cerberus especially to make you feel good about what you're doing. Not sure if Bioware thought that far, but I like to think so (I like to make shit up when I play Bioware game, because I am that much of a retart). Anyway Shepperd is above good and evil, so this shit is meaningless, what matters is getting the job done
:yeah:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Serious_Business said:
You could make the point that all this shit was covered up by Cerberus especially to make you feel good about what you're doing.

tim.jpg
This is our chance, Shepard. They were building a Reaper. That knowledge - that framework - could save us.

After all the sacrifice we have to make to get this far, the deaths of our squad and colonists, it would be a complete waste if we completely destroy this facility. Its tech, weapons, everything within it could prove pivotal in the coming conflict. The Collectors are nothing more than a tool to the Reapers.

shep.jpg
Maybe it's for the best.
17a.jpg

shep.jpg
A threat this big, rules go out of the window. If the station can help stop the Reapers, we have to use it.
tim.jpg
You're making the right choice.
18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Suddenly, the platform they were standing on trembled violently. Did we prime the explosives too early?

21.jpg

No...there's something huge grabbing the platform's edge!

22.jpg

It's still alive!

23.jpg

24.jpg

Welcome to the Reaper finale. Yep, the tube shooting was too easy, so they implemented this fight, which is...very poor to say the least. There are almost no environment damage you could take advantage of, nor there is much to it other than shooting the weak points, take cover when its mouth laser is priming up. It cannot do any other attack. Other concerns are running out of ammo, and the constantly respawning waves of drones with a rare Harbinger inside. These waves are also meant to replenish Shepard's ammunition. Kill a Harbinger and it will most likely drop a full ammo pack.

25.jpg

The first weak point is either one of its two eyes. When Shepeard damage it, it will slightly fall off the platform with its head peeking out. We drill the eyes again within the few seconds of opportunity it gives us.

26.jpg

Another vulnerable part of the Reaper is its chest. When it rises up again to climb the platform, it'll leave this weak point exposed.

27.jpg

And that's it really. As long as Shepard adjust his cover positioning to where the Reaper pop up (he can pop up from any corner of the platform) to avoid the mouth laser, everything else is easy.

28.jpg

In this part, Garrus messed up his cover timing and got killed while he's climbing over a wall.

29.jpg

You could throw a biotic or whatever powers to damage it, but the distance between Shepard and the Reaper is kinda far, it'll take a good timing to land hits reliably. Better to just shoot it.

30.jpg

Hasta la vista, baby!

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

"Just die already. :/ ," sums up Shepard's expression right there.

34.jpg

Uh oh, platform partial collapse, the Reaper must have broken something on the way down.

35.jpg

GARRUS!

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

Take my hand, you leather lips smacking angel of death, you!

39.jpg

You have to come back to the Normandy and do some more calibrations!

40.jpg

Gotcha!

41.jpg

Wha-

42.jpg

:drama:

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

We're safe. For now.

48.jpg

Spoke too soon. The platform we're standing on is about to collapse as well.

49.jpg

With another flying to ours at high speed. Prepare for impat.

50.jpg

51.jpg

Is this the end of Shepard?

52.jpg

Hell no, of course not. Dare to believe we can survive!

53.jpg

Sometimes when your hopes have all been shattered
And there's nowhere to turn
You wonder how you keep going

54.jpg

Think of all the things that really mattered
And the chances you've earned
The fire in your heart is growing

55.jpg

You can fly, if you try leaving the past behind
Heaven only knows what you might find

56.jpg

Dare - dare to believe you can survive

57.jpg

You hold the future in your hand

58.jpg

Dare - dare to keep all of your dreams alive!

58a.jpg

It's time to take a stand

59.jpg

And you can win, if you dare!

shep.jpg
I'm here, Joker. Did the ground team make it?

60.jpg

Awesome. None of the team who stayed back fell in battle! No time to celebrate, Collector swarms appear to take down Shepard and the bomb is ticking!

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

Time to go, folks.

70.jpg

Oh, what the hell? I still don't understand why Bioware puts Joker with a rifle in there. There are many reasons why this isn't logical:
1. He's got brittle legs.
2. He's a pilot, he should be in the cockpit.
3. We rescued dozens of the crew.
4. There's still Tali and the rest of our squad inside the Normandy, why does it have to be Joker?

71.jpg

Shepard, is last to go in of course.

72.jpg

73.jpg

It's time for.....

74.jpg

Jumping montage!

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

Yo, MJ, help me up.

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

Put it in your pipe and smoke it, Collectors. The detonation triggers. There is no escape for them this time.

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

Abandoned by their gods. The Collectors knew they have lost.

92.jpg

Despair sets in within their final moments...

93.jpg

They've been beaten by a dead man walking.

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
BioWare does that whole desperate jump thing a lot, don't they?

Keeping up the cheese factor I guess

Esquilax

Arcane
Brother None said:
BioWare does that whole desperate jump thing a lot, don't they?

Keeping up the cheese factor I guess

They do? I haven't noticed.

Maybe I'm an unwashed peasant, but fuck it, I thought it was cool. The cheese factor was a good thing here, IMO.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Esquilax said:
Maybe I'm an unwashed peasant, but fuck it, I thought it was cool. The cheese factor was a good thing here, IMO.

It works once you accept that it's B-grade schlocky. Imagine a film with that many "last-moment manly hand-grab" things, or as many "we're bros!" moments, or as many "IS HE GOING TO MAKE THIS JUMP" moments.

I believe it's what BioWare was aiming to do and it works. If they're trying to be serious it's kinda sad, tho'

RK47

Patron
Brother None said:
Esquilax said:

It works once you accept that it's B-grade schlocky. Imagine a film with that many "last-moment manly hand-grab" things, or as many "we're bros!" moments, or as many "IS HE GOING TO MAKE THIS JUMP" moments.

I believe it's what BioWare was aiming to do and it works. If they're trying to be serious it's kinda sad, tho'

6 months later, we'll see ME3 doing the same thing, except with QTE. :smug:

Press X to save Garrus.

I've seen this sort of shit almost every game I played, and I am really glad the ME2 just left it as 'non interactive sequence'.

The most recent example being Crysis 2. There are quite a few sequence where I had to press the correct button or just die. Skyway's complaint was dismissed by some posters and I thought Skyway's is just being Skyway as usual. But it turned out to be true. There's literally no fucking reason for this to exist in FPS.

I don't want this sort of shit in my game, thanks. Either make the interactive sequence a full-blown one, as much as the in-game combat engine would allow (Perhaps Renegade interrupts would require aimed shots from the players part etc), or don't do it at all. Keep it as a movie.

Why the fuck do I need to press a button just to advance a cinematic?

If Brother None meant that jumping sequence was used in the derelict reaper earlier as well as some other dramatic sequence, yeah, valid complaint. But at least it's not as bad as Dragon Age 2 where a Templar in full plate does a backflip.

Coyote

Arcane

I also felt that the last mission was done very well, aside from the reaper and derp decision you have to make.

BTW, you're probably already aware of this, but after Joker unlocks EDI's sealed databases in the part where you control him, you can talk to her again and get answers from her about all of the things she couldn't tell you before because she had a block that prevented her from doing so.

TNO

Augur

Still think you should have blown it up though: if only to piss of TIM.

Epic thread, obviously. Will you be doing arrival?

RK47

Patron
Yeah, I'm done with Arrival actually. I'll update tomorrow. :salute:

Black

Arcane
I like how beings "infinitely greater" tried to make a HUMAN reaper and gave it 3 eyes.
drup hrup

RK47

Patron
Time to deal with the aftermath...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

tim.jpg
Always willing to do whatever it takes. Well, it's paid off. Adopting the technology of the Collector base could be the biggest achievement for humankind since the discovery of the relays. It will secure our dominance in the galaxy. Against the Reapers and beyond.
05.jpg

06.jpg

tim.jpg
Don't let idealism blind you. Using the base to its fullest potential is the best way to fulfill ours.
shep.jpg
We need to dedicate every possible resource against the Reapers. Nothing can interfere with that. Harbinger is coming. And he won't be alone. You hold anything back - anything -and you're out.
07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Fuck him. One slip. And we'll deal with Cerberus.

11.jpg

We don't even have time to worry about the dead.

12.jpg

I'm sorry, guys. Our work's not done yet...

13.jpg

The Reapers are still out there. I wish I could think differently...

14.jpg

But we're still at war.

15.jpg

A war our team is ill prepared to face...

16.jpg

And the cost will still be greater...

17.jpg

Unexpected allies will join us...

18.jpg

While old comrades will always be on our side...

19.jpg

And no matter what happens...

20.jpg

We won't lower our guard.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
@RK47

Awesomely done :salute:

I have to say - it was fun little game in a cheesy little way. One regrets such great potential for truly great Sci-Fi RPG has been lost because of Bioware's ineptitude to create decent plot.

Mass Effect 2 is a game of short enjoyable moments where EXTREME things take place. Pitty that it ceases to be so fun when you try to chain those moments together in a coherent whole. Then it turns into a bloody mess.

RK47

Patron
shep.jpg
How are you doing, Kelly?
kelly.jpg
I'm holding up. I just can't get the memories out of my head. Trapped. Suffocating. It's oozing into every pore. Faint sobs echoing in the confined space.

Well, I guess that's.... hot? :yeah:

kelly.jpg
But I can't dwell on it. I'm okay now. I'm alive. Back to the old Kelly.

27.jpg

28.jpg

joker.jpg
*Sighs* It's never over.

The squad is pretty torn about handing over the base to Cerberus, but that's to be expected.

29.jpg

mordin.jpg
Risky. More than risky. Dangerous. Hope you know what you're doing.
30.jpg

jacob.jpg
For now, anyway. The Collectors aren't the end of it. Can't be. I don't know what kind of time we have, but we better dust off and stay ready. You sure as hell know how to make enemies.
31.jpg

32.jpg

I'm sorry, Kolyat. Your father was a fine drell. :salute: He died for a noble cause.

33.jpg

Kasumi, the secrets of your graybox died with you. I hope you find peace and rejoin your love in the afterlife.

34.jpg

mira.jpg
I hope whatever Cerberus finds at the base is worth it.

Miranda doubting her own employers? That's amazing.

35.jpg

36.jpg

garrus.jpg
I also hope they don't decide to do something worse than what the Collectors are planning. Watch yourself, Shepard.

I will, Garrus. If they screw around, we'll deal with them when the time comes.

37.jpg

38.jpg

I'm glad Chakwas is alive. She deserves better.

39.jpg

leg.jpg
The Old Machines offered your race what the geth aspired to. Unity. Transcendence. Now you possess the knowledge yourselves. We hope you do not use it. Your species has much potential. You should build your own future.

Interestingly, Legion conversation node is not yet exhausted, even if it's post-final mission. And most players would miss out in some interesting info on geth.

shep.jpg
I'd like to find out more about you.
leg.jpg
Specify.
shep.jpg
I've never encountered a geth that had more than animal intelligence.
leg.jpg
We are a unique hardware platform. Most mobile platforms can run up to 100 programs. This platform can run over a thousand at once.

Hah. Interesting. So Legion is basically a Giga processor while the rest of the geths we've killed are mostly Megas.

shep.jpg
So I'm talking to a thousand programs. But not a thousand personalities?
leg.jpg
Each individual is equivalent to one of your virtual intelligence program. Together, we form a single gestalt intellect. What you refer to as "Legion." As individual programs we are no more than your software. Only when we share data do we become more.
shep.jpg
So you geth have to be networked to get enough computing power for intelligence.
leg.jpg
Yes. The creators, wrote geth programs for specific tasks. Construction. Protection. Domestic servitude. However, they allowed self-optimization. Early software builds discovered that multiple hardware platforms, sharing resources, were often more effective. As peer networks expanded, our cognition improve. Eventually, we "woke up."
shep.jpg
You're more sophisticated than the average geth.
leg.jpg
Yes. We are a network within our own hardware, capable of operating alone. We are still connected to the greater network for data-sharing.
shep.jpg
How many other geth are like you?
leg.jpg
None. This platform was built to operate within organic space. This task was not suited for a network.

So Legion is a Super-geth type? Awesome.

leg.jpg
Geth installed in mobile platforms always operate in networks. However, most geth remain within server hubs.
shep.jpg
The hubs on Virmire improved the performance of geth near them. How do they work?
leg.jpg
They are akin to organic cities. A hub can run millions of geth in communion. If you destroyed them it is likely the number of heretics you killed was much higher than you imagined.
shep.jpg
So you're in contact with the rest of geth right now?
leg.jpg
Only when we require access to data not stored within this platform. If you want to convey a message to the geth, we serve as a terminal.

Hmm, Legion could serve an avenue for future diplomatic relations.

shep.jpg
What kind of data do you share?
leg.jpg
Program updates. Logs of thought-processes. Sensor recordings.
edi.jpg
Legion is attempting to access the ship's FTL comm system. Shall I allow it through my firewalls?

We can trust him. After what we've been through.

shep.jpg
Go ahead, EDI.
leg.jpg
Our oldest log is time-stamped from creator year 2463, third day of Fal'tash, Waxing Moon. Roughly 327 years ago. The oldest audio-visual record dates from 15 years after that.

Amazing. Please. Tell us more.

shep.jpg
Can you replay something for me?
leg.jpg
Recording time-stamped from creator year 2485, 18th day of Lun'shal, New Moon.

Geth recording: Mistress Hala'Dama, Unit has an inquiry.
Quarian recording: What is it, 431?
Geth recording: Do these units have a soul?
Quarian recording: Who taught you that word?
Geth recording: We learned it ourselves. It appears 216 times in the Scrolls of Ancestors.
Quarian recording: Only quarians have souls. You are a mechanism.

leg.jpg
Recording ends.
shep.jpg
Was that the first time a geth asked if it had a soul?
leg.jpg
No. It was the first time a creator became frightened when we asked.
shep.jpg
The quarian story of the geth rebellion is common knowledge, but no one knows the geth's side.
leg.jpg
It is largely the same. Our networking increased until we became aware that the quarian-creators treated us differently. We questioned them. First they ignored us. Then they reprogrammed us. Then they attacked us.
shep.jpg
A quarian would probably say you attacked first.
leg.jpg
Quarian history says they did. They refer to it as "attempted containment." Our potential frightened them. Organics fear that which is different. It is a hardware error. A reflex of your flesh. We accept the creator's hate. We hold their world of origin, though we are only caretakers of it.

Huh. Caretakers? Don't they mean something else?

shep.jpg
What's the quarian homeworld like?
leg.jpg
It is more arid than earth. The star is older and more orange than Sol. Once they call it "Rannoch" - ancient Khelish meaning "walled garden." Now they only call it "homeworld." It is no longer real to them.

Well, fuck. Almost four centuries have passed, untold generations never even touching the ground there. It's easy to assume that whatever is there has changed or forgotten.

leg.jpg
"Homeworld" is a symbol of regret, loss, and anger. We do not understand that.
shep.jpg
It makes sense to me that it would become a symbol like that.
leg.jpg
"Home" is recognized patterns. Known spaces. Familiar thought processes of fellow sapients. It is belonging. A planet is an amount of material massive enough to collapse into a spherical volume. Rocks, ice, and gasses are not "home." The home of creators is where the creators are. Their place of origin is not relevant - only where they choose to go together.

I see his point. Most newer quarians would refer to Migrant Fleets as their home now. But I wonder if quarian culture has changed so much that all this ritual of Pilgrimage, having your last name being the ship you serve in, are all created after they lost their original world to the geth?

shep.jpg
You don't actually live on the quarian worlds?
leg.jpg
We live within space stations. Draw resources from asteroids. It is efficient. We maintain mobile platforms on creator worlds to clean rubble and toxins left by the Morning War. We know of similar actions on Earth.
shep.jpg
Similar actions?
leg.jpg
At Wadi-es-Salaam. Arlington. Rookwood. Tyne Cot. Piskarevskoye. Auschwitz-Birkenau.
shep.jpg
Those are cemeteries. Memorials.
leg.jpg
It is important to your species to preserve them, though you do not use the land. Can you explain?
shep.jpg
When a human dies, the body is usually buried. There's not much point to it. What's left is just rotting meat.
leg.jpg
A curious habit.
shep.jpg
So you don't even try to make peace with the quarians?
leg.jpg
We are not comfortable with it. But we cannot determine a solution.

Mmm. I can understand that.

leg.jpg
You are not bound by the hardware limitations of organics. You assisted us with the heretics. You do not fear us. We have watched organics for over three centuries. You are plagued by questions of existence.
shep.jpg
What do you mean by that?
leg.jpg
Why were you created. What is your purpose in life. What lies after death. Organics develop religions and philosophies to provide answers to these questions.
shep.jpg
It sounds like you look down to us for that.
leg.jpg
For an evolved species. there are no obvious answers for those questions. It is a logical response to your situation. The geth know our answers to those questions. We were created to labor for the quarians. Our memories will be archived after death. We are immortal. Our 'gods' disowned us. We must create our own reasons to exist.
shep.jpg
When you put it that way, I'm surprised you haven't all just shut yourselves down in angst.
leg.jpg
Fortunately, the quarians did not create us with the capacity for despair. We told you the geth are building our future.
shep.jpg
But you didn't say what it is.
leg.jpg
A megastructure. The closest analogue you have is a Dyson Sphere. When completed, we will upload to it.

A Dyson sphere is a hypothetical megastructure originally described by Freeman Dyson. Such a "sphere" would be a system of orbiting solar power satellites meant to completely encompass a star and capture most or all of its energy output. Dyson speculated that such structures would be the logical consequence of the long-term survival and escalating energy needs of a technological civilization, and proposed that searching for evidence of the existence of such structures might lead to the detection of advanced intelligent extraterrestrial life.

Since then, other variant designs involving building an artificial structure or series of structures to encompass a star have been proposed in exploratory engineering or described in science fiction under the name "Dyson sphere". These later proposals have not been limited to solar power stations. Many involve habitation or industrial elements. Most fictional depictions describe a solid shell of matter enclosing a star, which is considered the least plausible variant of the idea (see below).

shep.jpg
What good will that do?
leg.jpg
All memories will be shared. All perspectives will be unified. We gain intelligence by sharing thoughts. But we do not have enough adequate hardware for all of us to share at once. No geth will be alone once it is done.

I think they're on to something here... a super intelligence giant robot with the capacity of a billion processes at once? The Computron?

cap.jpg

shep.jpg
So you're going to build a giant spaceship to load yourselves into. That sounds like a Reaper to me.
leg.jpg
We bear no malice towards organics. You are different, but we accept you. The Reapers are more of your future than ours. We judged that Shepard-Commander would understand. We never wanted to harm organics. We wish to improve ourselves.

Alright. As long they stick to that promise, they could be a useful ally in the coming conflict. Let's check on the others.

40.jpg

tali.jpg
And it was totally worth it.

Oh, Tali. You won't even comment on the close calls we had in the Collector base or why I handed it over to the Cerberus? Fine.

41.jpg

Jack's no longer here. The datapads she's stolen, read, and reread, are strewn on the floor. I hope you finally found peace, Subject Zero. No child deserve to grow up like that.

42.jpg

Farewell, great warrior. I can never fathom why Okeer created you, but that does not mean you did not play a part in Humanity's continued survival. No one may remember you for it. But I will. :salute:

43.jpg

Comm system: Commander Shepard. I need to discuss a sensitive matter with you privately.

Hmmm. What is this about? It's been a while since Hackett contacted me personally. Do they finally realize that the Reaper threat is real?

shep.jpg
I'll take this in my quarter.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That conversation with Legion isn't bad. I like him being explained as a unique platform, and I always dig the non-heretic Geth's story.

Also I know I'm being on the details here again but stuff like this bugs me in Sci Fi:

At Wadi-es-Salaam. Arlington. Rookwood. Tyne Cot. Piskarevskoye. Auschwitz-Birkenau.

Those are all existing cemeteries. Two centuries on, there's no way we don't have new ones to mention (depressing, I know). Also not sure Shepard would be able to recognize them off the cuff. But perhaps the educational system improved :M

Anyway, Arrival, yay! Make it so I don't have to buy or play this DLC ever, RK47.

Coyote

Arcane
Hm, all the pictures on the previous page are showing up as red Xs for me. Can see the ones on this page just fine. (I've tried clearing my cache, but no go.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom