Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[MandaloreGaming] Arcanum Review

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

The reason I made this its own thread is due to the influence of a large gaming channel like MG has on "normies" and this is going to help attract more people to Arcanum, which is a good thing. Keeping this game alive in memory and in the public discourse is only going to extend the time which people will pick up this masterpiece.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
tldw: main complaint is that even with fan patches, it's extremely buggy. Troika fanboys will no doubt rush in to proclaim that releasing broken games is not why Troika went under(it was. 2.)

there are many broken games that are fun + legendary like Arcanum or Morrowind

there are also many broken games that are utter shit (such as the ones you like like Skyrim)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tldw: main complaint is that even with fan patches, it's extremely buggy. Troika fanboys will no doubt rush in to proclaim that releasing broken games is not why Troika went under(it was. 2.)
Yeah I mean that's why studios like Bioware and CDProjekt immediately went under after their ultra buggy bugfests amirite? Imagine if those were still around today.

Trithne

Erudite
Yeah I mean that's why studios like Bioware and CDProjekt immediately went under after their ultra buggy bugfests amirite? Imagine if those were still around today.
2001 was a different time. Plus those buggy messes still sold shitloads. It remains to be seen if either company actually feels any impact from those releases, since they haven't released anything since (And Bioware is just a name EA slaps on things).

Codex Year of the Donut
"I know more than one of the guys who founded and operated the company" the post

Oh, and Bioware shuttered and entire studio after Andromeda. Maybe you skipped over that?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
From a Mandalore channel thread to Mandalore review threads. Where will the madness end?
For the record I made the Mandalore thread just to stop people posting his videos in Sseth's thread. I usually forget I even made it, hence why most of the updates in that thread are other people.

Vatnik Wumao
From a Mandalore channel thread to Mandalore review threads. Where will the madness end?
For the record I made the Mandalore thread just to stop people posting his videos in Sseth's thread.
Nah, that thread is ok. If people want to talk about a particular reviewer's content, don't see anything wrong with there being a thread dedicated to that (same as with the RLM one for film).

Ghulgothas

Arcane
This guy's reviews always put me to sleep. I don't get why he's so popular.
Strong appeal to normies/people unfamiliar with the game themselves. He's like a lite-letsplayer in that he condenses everything noteworthy about a game down into a single digestible video, so people who never have played the game and likely never will can get their fill.

Not really any kind of humor or insider knowledge or unique interpretation to draw in people who're already acquainted with the game at-hand.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Thus was a fantastic review that very clearly demonstrated both super strong aspects of Arcanum and the weak ones.
I wish I could get into it. I grew up on Fallout, but despite Arcanum coming out only three years after FO2, it never grabbed me. I wish someone made faithful (in script, roleplaying possibilities and atmosphere especially) remake with modern tech.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Positive: review is very honest about bugs and shortcomings and manages to pinpoint them with good accuracy.
Negative: review feels stretched out. The music segment doesn't really highlight the music as it has no time to breathe. As a whole it would be punchier if it had been cut down by about 15-20 minutes.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
I never had game-breaking bugs with the fan patches, the game plays fine since long ago, no more buggier than the average Bethesda/Obsidian game. Bugs were a legit complain when the game released but a criticism of such nature in 2022 sounds like nitpicking. Literally who cares that you couldn't play it in 2001.
review feels stretched out
It's standard YouTube padding because the revenue creators get vary depending on video length.

btw first thread on /v/ right now:

arc.png

The game is going to get an interesting fanbase now.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arcanum has a cult following,and rightfully so. The technology-magick conflict is one of the more interesting aspects of the game. Great worldbuilding,phenomenal soundtrack(if a bit melancholic),the combat system is not the most robust though,but combat is not what Arcanum is known for.

deama

Prophet
There was this project one guy(?) was doing where he was remaking it in javascript or html or something, I think he posted here, donno what happened to it though.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Is this guy one of those "video essayists" kids watch nowadays
Why does this video need to be an hour long?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom