Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[MandaloreGaming] Arcanum Review

Also he was in some drama of the disgusting kind with vinesauce that I also used to watch but I guess he avoided bad repercussions by largely ignoring it?
iirc some girl accused Vinny (Vinesauce) of creeping on her and Mandalore was doing the believe-all-victims thing on Twitter but Vinny used the Angry Joe tactic of immediately saying "prove it or shut up, either way I'm calling my lawyer already in case anyone wants to say something" instead of the usual "look I don't know what I did but I'm sorry if I did anything wrong I didn't mean it sorry" that makes people smell blood, so the drama died quickly.

Unwanted

†††

Patron

12 hour analysis for an entire game? how about 12 hour analysis for a character?

1666548395139562.jpg

Proof that Jarpigs are superior and deeper :smug:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay you win.

But in reality, the real winner is St. Augustine, who wrote several hundred pages on the very first words in the book of Genesis.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
1666548395139562.jpg

Proof that Jarpigs are superior and deeper :smug:
There is no conceivable way in any reality that a character from a weeb JRPG is interesting enough to warrant 13 hours of discussion.

I checked the timestamps in the description and found these following gems:
11:56 - Masculinizing Female Characters to Avoid The Male Gaze is Problematic
15:02 - The Persona Franchise Has Always Been Critical Of Patriarchy
22:22 - The Male Gaze And The Mistake of Assuming Malice
28:44 - No, Weeb Sh!t Is Not Dominated By The Patriarchy. STOP IT!
30:38 - My Dress Up-Darling vs. Trad. Gender Roles
31:58 - Kaguya-sama Vs. The Patriarchy
33:34 -Manga That's Critical Of Patriarchy Has Been Out For YEARS. LOOK HARDER!
34:46 - Japanese Xenophobia, Manga and Minorities
45:08 - The Male Gaze Offers No Solution
55:07 - P5's "Problematic" Cutscenes ARE Character Development For Ann
And the guy talking looks like this:
Z7VBZMq.png

Wannabe BreadTube faggot. Patrician wins.

roll-a-die

Magister
Brevity is the soul of wit, and I can't believe my motormouthed ass is the one saying that.

John Nash, 26 pages, 2 references, foundational paper for describing game theory. Non-Cooperative Games. Eventually formed the nucleus of his nobel prize winning paper.

Big videos eat time. The most effective communication is summarized with enough detail to convey the point.

A simple review of Arcanum will follow.
Arcanum is an RPG, made by Troika games. A successor to the Fallout 1/2 series. The music is fantastic. The gameplay, and just about everything else is not. In this game, just as you are given the choice between magic and tech, you are given the choice between suffering and slightly less suffering. The plot is banal in the majority with threads that tend to go nowhere or terminate in bugs. But the world is rich with high concepts that make it feel unique. It's a solid world, one of the better worlds to explore with a high level of replaybility because of that. It's just a shame how much the game itself makes everything a miserable dreary experience while exploring that world.
In short: Derivative, flawed, and not quite a masterpiece. Well designed, but poorly implemented. This is basically what Mandalore said. But in something that would take 2 minutes to recite at a regular talking pace.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"Miracle Operation" can be a powerful background,but it has some severe penalties. Perfect for a gunslinger build(a massive +5 Perception bonus).

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Brevity is the soul of wit, and I can't believe my motormouthed ass is the one saying that.

John Nash, 26 pages, 2 references, foundational paper for describing game theory. Non-Cooperative Games. Eventually formed the nucleus of his nobel prize winning paper.

Big videos eat time. The most effective communication is summarized with enough detail to convey the point.

A simple review of Arcanum will follow.
Arcanum is an RPG, made by Troika games. A successor to the Fallout 1/2 series. The music is fantastic. The gameplay, and just about everything else is not. In this game, just as you are given the choice between magic and tech, you are given the choice between suffering and slightly less suffering. The plot is banal in the majority with threads that tend to go nowhere or terminate in bugs. But the world is rich with high concepts that make it feel unique. It's a solid world, one of the better worlds to explore with a high level of replaybility because of that. It's just a shame how much the game itself makes everything a miserable dreary experience while exploring that world.
In short: Derivative, flawed, and not quite a masterpiece. Well designed, but poorly implemented. This is basically what Mandalore said. But in something that would take 2 minutes to recite at a regular talking pace.
If you don't want to watch an hour-long video then don't watch it. As for me, I like listening to these kinds of videos when I'm doing something else, like home chores or if I'm at work. Mandalore's video got a million views and was on the trending page of YouTube. Your proposed video would get about 5 views because nobody would watch such a boring piece of shit that simply regurgitates what others have already said.

Academic papers such as your John Nash example need to be short because otherwise it gets too complex and difficult to understand, and it's unnecessary to go into every single detail because it'd just waste the time of the mathematicians who need to get through it. Video reviews such as Mandalore's Arcanum video are both for entertainment (especially for those who have already played the game and are interested in someone else's opinions), and to try and sell the game to newcomers. A shortened version such as you propose would not be entertaining nor would it make the game appealing for those who haven't played it or other CRPGs before.

Not that I'm defending Mandalore here (I think the guy's a faggot) but people who get all butthurt about long videos really irk me. If we took your same "axe everything, NEVER waste my time" approach to the Codex's own reviews then they'd all be cut by 90%.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Academic papers such as your John Nash example need to be short because otherwise it gets too complex and difficult to understand,
and also the expected public (other mathematicians) will know all the background that's required to understand them. If you had to give a full explanation (ie the equivalent to a MandaloreGaming vid), that'd take way more pages
(at least I remember one university math teacher on that: "that high-level proof fits on one page, but you need to complete a bunch of calculus classes to understand what's written")

roll-a-die

Magister
Academic papers such as your John Nash example need to be short because otherwise it gets too complex and difficult to understand,
and also the expected public (other mathematicians) will know all the background that's required to understand them. If you had to give a full explanation (ie the equivalent to a MandaloreGaming vid), that'd take way more pages
(at least I remember one university math teacher on that: "that high-level proof fits on one page, but you need to complete a bunch of calculus classes to understand what's written")
The expected public of a niche games review like this, is a gamer.

Gamers, especially ones likely to understand and be interested in this type of game. Are likely to have the background knowledge to know the basics.
For instance, he didn't need to spend a full 3 minutes expounding on the dichotomy and systemization of the magic and technology systems.

He could simply have stated, that magic and technology war with each other, and that this is expressed in the design of quests, and gameplay choices.

Specific examples are not needed. And the whole of the review is rather dragged down by the spoiler laden nature of it.

The goal of an honest review is to inform, not to over inform or attempt to replace the material.

That said, I do like Mandalore's reviews. I simply find this one, very overwrought and about half of it unnecessary to the point of boring me.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The expected public of a niche games review like this, is a gamer.

Gamers, especially ones likely to understand and be interested in this type of game. Are likely to have the background knowledge to know the basics.
For instance, he didn't need to spend a full 3 minutes expounding on the dichotomy and systemization of the magic and technology systems.

He could simply have stated, that magic and technology war with each other, and that this is expressed in the design of quests, and gameplay choices.

Specific examples are not needed. And the whole of the review is rather dragged down by the spoiler laden nature of it.

The goal of an honest review is to inform, not to over inform or attempt to replace the material.

That said, I do like Mandalore's reviews. I simply find this one, very overwrought and about half of it unnecessary to the point of boring me.
I think it's more down to the intended audience; Mandalore's been covering a rather diverse spread of genres, so it's not surprising he'll be expecting that some people watching aren't familiar with it and since it's not that common a concept, I think it was the right decision to spend more time on that
Though I agree that it's too long/dragged out

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What's a codexer's opinion on how/why Mandalore gets so many views on basic rundowns of old games like this, anyway? What is it? Did he build up a fanbase over time? Was he always somehow as charismatic as a charisma build pc in Arcanum? Dumb luck? Is it the games, themselves?
Zoomers

quaesta

Educated
I never had game-breaking bugs with the fan patches, the game plays fine since long ago, no more buggier than the average Bethesda/Obsidian game. Bugs were a legit complain when the game released but a criticism of such nature in 2022 sounds like nitpicking. Literally who cares that you couldn't play it in 2001.
review feels stretched out
It's standard YouTube padding because the revenue creators get vary depending on video length.

btw first thread on /v/ right now:

arc.png

The game is going to get an interesting fanbase now.
This shit always pisses me off to no end. Sometimes, if I'm really bored, I would go to yewtu.be (YouTube not on YouTube, cause fuck them), checked my subscriptions, see a recent game (like that faith horror game), go to /v/ and see there's threads on that game up.
It's like, there's no inner voice. You need some glorified advertisement to think about a game.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
This shit always pisses me off to no end. Sometimes, if I'm really bored, I would go to yewtu.be (YouTube not on YouTube, cause fuck them), checked my subscriptions, see a recent game (like that faith horror game), go to /v/ and see there's threads on that game up.
It's like, there's no inner voice. You need some glorified advertisement to think about a game.
It's still better than loli and fat fetish threads.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Like how shit is still better than diarrhea?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Mandalore made exactly two decent videos: The Mystery of the Druids one and the Limbo of the Lost one. And those are good because of the subject matter, not him.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
People that never played the game in question see a video that sparks their curiosity
Naturally they are going to ask about other people thoughts on it, in their favourite videogame forum

And hey, at least it gets people to talk about games...
Otherwise 95% of /v/ is just an endless cycle of the same shitposts and baits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom