Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Jester

Arbiter
Of course, since I have no idea what happens next, this might be absolutely irrelevant.

If you meta-game, you will realize that there is no way I am letting you guys hop from one set of fights to another like you are Megaman selecting a stage. :lol:

That, and we're twelve-fucking-thousand posts in and I'm still mired in the setup phase. Gotta speed things up. :negative:
Sound like Planescape: Torment, you hit major league here. :obviously:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, anyway, D won't save you enough time for it to be significantly different from C, but the difficulty will be affected, as well as the relationship points.

For this set of options, focus on the difficulty of the fight, the risk to yourself, whether it is worth the extra challenge to build your reputation more, etc.

Put all other thoughts about the battle aside so that we can cut down on the DISCUSS?

treave, what are Taishan and Kunlun known for again?

In terms of combat, Taishan is good at swords and excellent at formations, Kunlun is very good at the staff with a dose of unarmed.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A>D. Kunlun guy seems easier to beat and we may not need to fight all of them as the battle is changing all the time.

A>B>D

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
So, anyway, D won't save you enough time for it to be significantly different from C, but the difficulty will be affected, as well as the relationship points.

For this set of options, focus on the difficulty of the fight, the risk to yourself, whether it is worth the extra challenge to build your reputation more, etc.
Well, the easier the fight is for us, the less chances of us killing them and the less chances of Shagguan getting pissy. HONORU is cool and all, but not worth pointless killing. Ergo, D is the best option.

Tribute

Arbiter
I was more asking what their deal was (Shaolin is Buddhists known for their iron body skill, Wudang is Taoists known for their Taiji fist/sword, Huashan fancies themselves a bunch of knights in shining armor and guardians of chivalry, etc.), but combat info is good too.

Currently voting A>C. Unless we're likely to get wrecked enough not to contribute to the rest of the battle by picking D, I'd say the lack of relationship destruction is worth it considering it won't spare us any real time.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I was more asking what their deal was (Shaolin is Buddhists known for their iron body skill, Wudang is Taoists known for their Taiji fist/sword, Huashan fancies themselves a bunch of knights in shining armor and guardians of chivalry, etc.), but combat info is good too.

They're both Taoist sects, Taishan has this astrology thing going on, star-watching is a big thing with them, and hence their people are usually good at math, and Kunlun are a bunch of alchemists - all Taoists are, but Kunlun's practice really focuses on elixirs and herbalism.

Tribute

Arbiter
Astronomy/Astrology Taoists and Alchemy Taoists both sound pretty neat. I'd rather not make them hate us just yet, though we do need to knock some sense into them for this "attacking helpless maidens" stunt.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
We really can't pull punches on D so they are likely to get injured and we will get massive unorthodox reputation from this. It might even draw the kunlun guy to the fight.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Seems both A and B count toward Zhang's Challenge. Is it too much to wish we could beat them both and survive unscathed with D?

Baltika9

Arcane
We really can't pull punches on D so they are likely to get injured and we will get massive unorthodox reputation from this. It might even draw the kunlun guy to the fight.
D is surprise attacking all eight of them. And, yeah, taking them by surprise makes it much easier for us to just KO them since they'll be off their game, instead of having to go all out and probably killing some of them as in C, of wasting time and effort with A&B.

We gotta jerk Shagguan's "NO KILLING!" off for him to help us.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Astronomy/Astrology Taoists and Alchemy Taoists both sound pretty neat. I'd rather not make them hate us just yet, though we do need to knock some sense into them for this "attacking helpless maidens" stunt.

Think about it from the orthodox side.

You hear that your masters were poisoned before the fight, then ambushed, then the cliff went down, someone says these were the fuckers responsible, they are insidious and not to be trusted since they were the ones who asked for an honourable challenge but then stacked the odds in their favour by cheating.

Are you going to trust them when they appear to be helpless girls, or attack anyway because they may be deceiving you and preparing to strike when your guard is down?

I mean, didn't Jing off the agent just because... oh right, it was a decrepit old man, not nubile young maidens. Totally different. Carry on. :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
of wasting time and effort with A&B.
D is not going to waste less effort than A, since you'll be attacking them both, and since treave clarified his position, why is time a concern?

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, I don't get where this nonsense is coming from. This is war, we're unorthodox and the Kunlun/Huashan don't like us anyway. Just overwhelm them with a surprise attack and be done with it.

If we need herbalists, we have Cao'er and the Wudu. If we need astronomers, our buddy Shun can hook us up.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I'm still holding on to B, since D comes with a reputation cost. We could always challenge the Kunlun guy later while that reputation cost might bite us in the ass later, and if we prove our strength by defeating the seven I doubt anyone is gonna try harm the girls anymore.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm still holding on to B, since D comes with a reputation cost. We could always challenge the Kunlun guy later while that reputation cost might bite us in the ass later, and if we prove our strength by defeating the seven I doubt anyone is gonna try harm the girls anymore.

Holy fucking shit. Disciple of Zhang Jue, depraved pervert and corrupter of maidens, betrayer of honourable orthodox pugilists who fought a hundred-man battle: MUH REPUTATION!!!

So, anyway, D won't save you enough time for it to be significantly different from C, but the difficulty will be affected, as well as the relationship points
Hmm, I can't help but notice you only mentioned C here. What about A and B, would duelling each separately take significantly more time?

Anyway, I don't particularly care about worsening our reputation with these assholes even more. It's not as if they love us right now.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, there seems to be confusion about D:
D. You are not here for a fair fight. You make a surprise attack, trying to catch the Taishan disciples off guard and disabling as many of them as possible so that their seven-man formation cannot be performed at its full effectiveness.
By "disable," you mean Jing isn't aiming to kill any of them, right, just knock outs and broken bones, right?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, anyway, D won't save you enough time for it to be significantly different from C, but the difficulty will be affected, as well as the relationship points
Hmm, I can't help but notice you only mentioned C here. What about A and B, would duelling each separately take significantly more time?

If you have the opportunity to engage in a second fight, that one would take more time than usual and be more difficult because:

1) You'll be more tired even with your neigong's special ability
2) They'll have had the opportunity to observe your moves for a bit

So yes, I'd say it takes more time. Not saying D doesn't actually save more time compared to C, just that it doesn't make enough of a difference in that aspect to affect any subsequent choices.

treave, there seems to be confusion about D:
D. You are not here for a fair fight. You make a surprise attack, trying to catch the Taishan disciples off guard and disabling as many of them as possible so that their seven-man formation cannot be performed at its full effectiveness.
By "disable," you mean Jing isn't aiming to kill any of them, right, just knock outs and broken bones, right?

He's trying not to kill anyone, or he'd have drawn his sword and started chopping off heads.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Uh, same thing applies in all the other options. Wishes and reality don't always coincide anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom