Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

Just did a third pee-pee respec for the nameless faggot. Running out of quick repair tools and now had to make special grindstones repair weapon durability too. I am NOT using the slow repair tool in the middle of that bullshit second phase and if this special grindstone repair turns out to be some garbage that only restores little bit of durability and I still run out of quick repair tools - uninstall time. Fuck this durability mechanic and retarded korean monkeys who designed this game.
This entire last chapter was a tedious slog and every boss fight in it had a fair enjoyable first phase followed by annoying bullshit second one that begged me to skip it with summon. Except this last fight won't let me use a summon. And throwables don't cut it either anymore.

So, that special grindstone repair doesn't repair fully but enough to make the weapon last with two uses. Looks like I will be killing the faggot after all, eventually. Though he really made me optimize my build just for him.

Finally, done. Used 3 acid throwables to finish him off as I was out of heals and didn't want to risk getting close at that point. The suffering is complete. Looks somehow I managed to miss a bunch of Quartz, have only 26 and supposedly there is 31. So I guess I didn't explore as well as I thought. I know one was inaccessible to me in last treasure hunt quest because I exchanged the wrong item for boss Ergo, I looked that shit up because I was confused about what to do there. Not sure about the rest.

Silverfish

Arbiter

3935-anime-girls-laugh.gif

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Somewhere in the Abbey now, just beat the Black Cat miniboss. I think I've lost all motivation to go on. I'm not having a bad time per se, even the level design and the story aren't as bad as I thought (I actually only hated the boring, right-angled city areas, almost all levels outside city streets were fairly enjoyable). But the combat and enemy design has never grown on me.

Our Korean boys failed to make the combat challenging, fun and fair. I'm not exactly sweating blood going through the bosses and minibosses - almost all went down in 5-10 runs - but there's just something about those delayed swings and fakeouts and zero-windup attacks that I've never got used to. Quite the opposite, it's been pissing me more and more.

FS games aren't blameless in that regard either but it's not nearly as bad, not even in Elden Ring.

In LoP this shit is overflowing and running down the street like a turdpocalypse. Beat the Walker of Illusions miniboss a while ago and this was the microcosm of all the combat problems. The devs just can't figure out how to make combat challenging without resorting to zero-windup, zero-tell attacks and comically delayed swings that come down in an instant. Again, I can tolerate some of it, now and then, but here this crutch permeates everything. The entire combat and enemy design is nothing but crutch. It all feels so goofy and clumsy.

In general, I really liked the polish, the story, most of the artstyle... was even impressed with some of it. Various chardev options were also better than expected, although most P-Organ upgrades are clearly superior than others and you can't really do builds in the proper sense. The level design can't exactly rival Elden Ring's legacy dungeons but it's been mostly adequate and often fun. Big minus points for the linearity and no co-op.

As for the score, been on the fence all my run but ultimately settled on 7/10. It's a fun, well-polished, good looking game with a fundamental combat problem and stifling linearity. But I am looking to the sequel, hopefully they learn a few lessons. Although judging by the insane overrating mania on the interwebz I'm not holding my breath. More than likely the devs conclude that their first ever game was flawless and will do more of the same.

With all the retards just spamming "skill issue" or "git gud" whenever someone online attempts to criticize combat in games like this it is very likely that we'll see more and more soulslikes with this shit combat design. Hey let's just spam delayed nonsense attacks and lightning fast anime gap closers, people love this shit. I would give this game 6/10 at most. Fine for one playthrough but I will never return to it. Things it is good at are things I care about the least, the superficial stuff. Going back to Nioh 2 after this feels like such a relief, what a joy to play a game with real combat system.

Somewhere in the Abbey now, just beat the Black Cat miniboss. I think I've lost all motivation to go on.

There isn't that much left until the finish though, you are in the final chapter.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

There isn't that much left until the finish though, you are in the final chapter.
Yea I think there are only two or three bosses left, problem is whenever I think of going back to it I have an irresistible urge to play literally anything else.

Been thinking about Nioh 2 as well, still haven't touched the last two DLCs goddammit. I'm kindda dreading going back tho, re-learning everything, considering how complex the game is compared to p. much anything else in that general genre.

Yea I think there are only two or three bosses left, problem is whenever I think of going back to it I have an irresistible urge to play literally anything else.

Been thinking about Nioh 2 as well, still haven't touched the last two DLCs goddammit.

The final boss that you cannot skip with summon is actually optional. I would've probably gotten a more interesting ending if I didn't go for it too, all I got at the end was a short cutscene of Geppeto calling me useless lol. And for the two before it - acid damage is good. I even used wishstones that gives it to a summon, it also makes them tankier. Actually acid seems to be best against the final cunt as well, despite its name suggesting that he should be weakest to electric. I had a better time with him after switching to Acidic Spear.

all I got at the end was a short cutscene of Geppeto calling me useless
You got unlucky there, that is the neutral/lesser bad ending.

Well, whatever. I'm pretty sure I had a lot of humanity in my char, even the cat finally let me pet it by the end. But I did stop lying mostly once I saw my portrait growing a nose, I guess I'll just see how the other endings look on jewtube. You know this shit might actually get me to re-read Pinocchio book, and last time I did that I was 7-8 years old lol. It might be worth it so my last memory of this universe isn't this subversive grimdark crap. Somebody will probably end up making a grimdark Winnie-the-Pooh game eventually too, and that was my favorite book for a while when I was little.

Last edited:

Anonona

Learned
I'm pretty sure I had a lot of humanity in my char
Did you mercy kill Sophia? If you spare her you won't be able to get the good ending even with high humanity

It might be worth it so my last memory of this universe isn't this subversive grimdark crap
Funny enough, the original book was originally going to end with the cat and the fox killing Pinocchio by hanging him, but didn't do so because readers complained and his editor forced him to continue the story. It was surprisingly dark compared to the more well known Disney's version.

Anonona

Learned
Yes I killed her. What do you mean by "spare her"? Because killing her looked very much like "spare her" option to me.
Sorry, I worded it wrongly. I meant letting her live. So in that case it was just a lack of humanity. Only the cinematic ending changes so you won't miss anything by looking up the ending on Youtube.

Ravielsk

Magister
As for the Green Monster I liked the fight. It's a living being, it has actually readable windups and tells (mostly) as opposed to the retarded robots.

There's just one problem that made me skip the fight with a spectre after 10 runs - the fucking thing does an idiotic amount of damage in the 2nd phase. It'd kept two-shotting me with my 500 HP, and not with some kamehameha ultimates but regular swings that come very fast. So it was often schwing-schwing, ded in about 0,5 seconds, from full HP. Its retarded spastic rolling-on-the-floor BS is also obnoxious but can be countered with the P-Organ upgrade that stuns mobs with a successful parry.
That seems to be a consistent trend with boss design and design in general in this game. They get one good idea execute it successfully and then they slap something retarded on top of it. For example they make a boss with a readable moveset but give it such a stupid amount of DPS that it kills you before you get the chance to see its moveset. Or they let you recharge your cells when you run out so you are never truly out of healing options but then cap it at only one. Or they give you cranks to tweak weapon scaling so no weapon is ever truly incompatible with your build but then make the cranks a limited resource.

The game literary goes from a solid 8/10 to wavering 6/10 by the end because of all this bullshit compounding and ruining what would otherwise be an absolutely unassailable title.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The literary goes from a solid 8/10 to wavering 6/10 by the end because of all this bullshit compounding and ruining what would otherwise be an absolutely unassailable title.
I think 6/10 is a bit too harsh, that's like Steelrising territory and LoP is better than that. But yeah the amount of design gaffes here is higher than usual, even for a virgin studio.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

The literary goes from a solid 8/10 to wavering 6/10 by the end because of all this bullshit compounding and ruining what would otherwise be an absolutely unassailable title.
I think 6/10 is a bit too harsh, that's like Steelrising territory and LoP is better than that. But yeah the amount of design gaffes here is higher than usual, even for a virgin studio.

I liked Steelrising more than Lies of P. :lol:
I'm not sure why though. The gameplay in LoP is objectively better.
Might just be that occult Steampunk revolutionary France mashup was more appealing to me than edgy Pinocchio as a setting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I liked Steelrising more than Lies of P. :lol:
I'm not sure why though. The gameplay in LoP is objectively better.
Might just be that occult Steampunk revolutionary France mashup was more appealing to me than edgy Pinocchio as a setting.

I actively dislike all retrofuturism, especially steampunk or clockwork punk, it's all retarded.

But Steelrising, surprisingly, does have a more interesting, more creative enemy and boss design (even tho bosses are pathetically easy). LoP bosses and enemies are just boring clockwork robots or zombies, with a few exceptions. But LoP is way more stylish, looks way better and plays better too.

ChildInTime

Learned
Really liked this game for it's story and music, better than any of the other souls games. Gameplay is fairly standard, but with such a heavy focus on parrying that katana you get later in the game felt almost like cheating. Now I really want that Dorothy sequel.

Bm0sBIw.jpeg

Kefa

Literate
Really liked this game for it's story and music, better than any of the other souls games. Gameplay is fairly standard, but with such a heavy focus on parrying that katana you get later in the game felt almost like cheating. Now I really want that Dorothy sequel.

Bm0sBIw.jpeg
I was looking forward Two Dragons Sword ever since I found out it exists but I found it pretty underwhelming. Parrying with R2 feels cool but in the amount of time it takes to time it properly I can deal more damage with other weapons without the risk of being fucked.

Lies of P is great though, will replay soon with the Wo Long weapon they added. Is it available right away do you need to do something to unlock it in NG+?

Kefa

Literate
Lies of P is great though, will replay soon with the Wo Long weapon they added. Is it available right away do you need to do something to unlock it in NG+?
Right away, straight in your inv.
Thanks, I’m playing the dlc for wo long which also got the weapons from lies of p but in wo long you only get the shitty base versions of those weapons and you have to pray to rng to get the good versions. Cool to see these collabs anyway.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks, I’m playing the dlc for wo long which also got the weapons from lies of p but in wo long you only get the shitty base versions of those weapons and you have to pray to rng to get the good versions. Cool to see these collabs anyway.
Yea it's cool. The Wo Long wep in LoP is a very good glaive. I didn't use it coz it was too slow for me but it's very powerful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom