Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

Ravielsk

Magister
What the fuck is this Black Rabbit Brotherhood fight
Yet another example of "souls-like" brain rot. Most of the games enemies have minimal or no tracking on their attacks but the brotherhood fight is essentially full on autoaim on all swings + basically infinite stamina. You would think that a flesh and bone human would get winded slightly more often than a mechanical puppet but apparently no. The autoaim is also completely broken because it will literary rotate the little fucker mid air 90° to make sure they hit.

I get the impression that the expectation was to force players to "finally" master parrying but with how strict the game is about timing its supremely retarded to expect that of anyone who is not a speedrunner. The time windows are so slim that a slight spike in latency on your controller can turn a parry into a full on hit.

abija

Prophet
What is the mechanic I am missing here that would make this fight feel fair and well designed? Because I'm actually tempted to try using a summon for first time now.
The only mechanic you can miss there is that they don't gank up on you, it's always just 1 guy fighting properly + a 2nd using an avoidable ability once in a while.

What is the mechanic I am missing here that would make this fight feel fair and well designed? Because I'm actually tempted to try using a summon for first time now.
The only mechanic you can miss there is that they don't gank up on you, it's always just 1 guy fighting properly + a 2nd using an avoidable ability once in a while.

You're actually going to pretend that this is a well designed fight now? Some super tanky fuck that never gets tired spamming his rotating attack over and over and then his companions keep joining in as if the main guy isn't hard enough? And it's not enough to avoid damage from two annoying fucks at once, better make sure to walk slowly while repair you weapon mid fight as well lol. I'm glad I cheesed this garbage and I will gladly cheese any other fight that is similarly retarded.

Zurbo

Novice

You're actually going to pretend that this is a well designed fight now? Some super tanky fuck that never gets tired spamming his rotating attack over and over and then his companions keep joining in as if the main guy isn't hard enough? And it's not enough to avoid damage from two annoying fucks at once, better make sure to walk slowly while repair you weapon mid fight as well lol. I'm glad I cheesed this garbage and I will gladly cheese any other fight that is similarly retarded.
Can't wait to read your reaction on another delicious gank fight later on :positive:

Can't wait to read your reaction on another delicious gank fight later on :positive:

So I'll just cheese that one too. Let the soulsfag plebs who never played a good action game in their life and actually think this combat is good suffer that crap. I no longer trust this game to be well designed so I'm done trying to play properly.

Stocked up full of throwables, then summoned a specter and cheesed that stupid boss with them.

You're welcome.

You didn't help me with anything. I was talking about early game Watchman fight, you posted a video of some dude cheesing him with ton of throwables on NG+, which I had no chance of having at that point. Are you fishing for a reminder about needing to go fuck yourself?

v1rus

Arcane
Oh by the way I don't get this fucking Cube shit at all. It says in description that it recharges at Stargazer so I thought it was like that flask in Elden Ring where you can mix in different effects. But it doesn't recharge at all after I tried using it once during Andreus fight, which ended up killing me because of super slow animation I did not expect. Is this a bug? I haven't managed to find any of the golden fruit shit NPC that gave the cube was talking about and I'm some ways past the area I met him in. I am pretty sure I explored the areas carefully, not that there's that much to explore in the first place. Does the cube only start working properly like it says in description once you get the fruit?

Yeah, its fucking annoying and not really well explained. You are right - basically the mechanic starts working as intended once you get access to the fruit. Things will be quite self-explanatory then, and I'll keep it "cryptic", just in case someone would consider it a spoiler. Its a meh to "okay" at best mechanic.

EDIT - Darnit, you already got an answer. I have to stop replying as I'm reading through the thread.

abija

Prophet

Take a fucking chill pill. you asked a question and got an answer. Where did I even mention the quality of the fight?

Take a fucking chill pill. you asked a question and got an answer. Where did I even mention the quality of the fight?

What the fuck is this answer then? I assumed you were being snarky, as in "it's totally a fair fight because they only fight you two at a time, lolol skill issue". How the fuck was I supposed to actually miss the obvious you stated? You think I am playing with monitor disabled for extra challenge?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yea I hated the Brotherhood fight too, got the big fuck to about 20% HP but then ran out of heals. Best I could do solo.

With a spectre I smashed them in under a minute. It's a badly balanced fight any way you look at it.

Btw another mistake many soulslikes do, including this one - stinginess with upgrade mats. At the King of Puppets now and I could only upgrade my main tech wep to +6 plus another tech wep to +5. What if I wanna upgrade more? What if I wanna respec and upgrade some motive or advance weps? Well fuck you, forget it. The Dark Moon thingy seems to be an even bigger problem, only got like 5 so far.

It's stupid and totally unnecessary.

cruel

Cipher
You will be able to buy unlimited +6 / +9 mats, so no need to be very stingy in the long term. I think you can upgrade 3 regular weapons to +10 and two special weapons to +5.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

v1rus

Arcane
You will be able to buy unlimited +6 / +9 mats, so no need to be very stingy in the long term. I think you can upgrade 3 regular weapons to +10 and two special weapons to +5.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

2 specials to +5, but like 5 regulars to +10.

Made it to Laxasia. Finally got my ass handed to me on a platter. Tried for half an hour and no luck, barely scratched second phase, gonna leave it for tomorrow.

Seems like an enjoyable fight; shame there's some more exploration left. Not a design fault, but personal preference - I always like when the tastiest bosses are at the very, very end. I like going in a "bosses only" mode, since exploration and bosses are two very differing things to enjoy. For instance in Elden Ring, I finished everything, leaving only Radagon, Malenia, Mohg and perhaps another boss. Thus, I knew I'm done with exploration part of the game, and it was bosses only from here on. I'd enjoy Laxasia way more if there where no bat swining alchemists to buttrape me

Almost got happy about beating King of Puppets first try, but of course there's a second phase that is completely different lol. So basically two bosses in a row.

Got Electric Chainsaw. Am I to assume there are only blunt weapons with electric element? This thing weighs a lot too. Guess I'll just be mainly upgrading the Salamander Dagger and Acidic Spear for now. At least acid seems to work ok on puppets, certainly better than fire. Maybe I can get away with not using electric weapons.

Surprised at doing Victor first try. I assumed every single boss is going to be rape from now on. They must've forgotten to include a second health bar. And his attacks were readable too, another oversight.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
I'm done. Enjoyed the game, 8/10 it remains.

Enjoyed last couple bosses very much, but I sorta burnt out, so I stopped self-nerfing, and just beat them to pulp with my yuge bone-shit head of a weapon and a technique dancer or something hilt. Would be interested in giving them a NG+ try, but as I said

1) waiting for the dlc
2) the game seems like it would actually be annoying to NG+ - as in, you just start from the start. No way to quickly get from boss to a boss and bypassing 90% of content, you'd basically have to play the whole/almost whole game again (especially since you want more Quartzes, so you 'll even have to explore again). Perhaps, one day.

Its a very good Souls clone. I wouldnt say it does anything extraordinarily well, in a hyper weird, unique or a new way, its just a very, very correct and on-point game. Play it if you want sum more of that From goodies.

Ravielsk

Magister
Surprised at doing Victor first try. I assumed every single boss is going to be rape from now on. They must've forgotten to include a second health bar. And his attacks were readable too, another oversight.
It feels more like they had a pretty solid game and then sporadically injected soulsborne aids in places. For example at the start of the game its all extremely well balanced, you have no poise and die in few hits but so do all the other enemies and the big chunky bastards that have poise and need a dozen or so hits do not respawn. Even the boss actually needs to land a couple of hits before he downs you so at least you get a chance to experiment and learn his moveset, overall a shockingly pleasant and well constructed experience.
Fastforward a couple levels later and you are still fighting mostly the same puppets as at the beginning but now they have three times the health, deal twice as much damage and some developed poise. Meanwhile those big fat bastards only sometimes despawn permanently and now you die in two hits but the weakest enemy needs at least three whacks before going down. The bosses are suddenly a parry fest where either you are a parry king and the boss essentially deals 0 damage or you are not and will die in a single stunlock combo.

I am legit convinced that they made a normal action adventure game and then afterwards injected all the typical soulsborne brain rot later because one stage they do something right and then walk it back in the next and so on and so forth. Even the quartz upgrades feel like mostly stuff you would get from exploration or default abilities that were sequestered into an upgrade tree simply because its a "soulsborne" so no way can the player have their full kit right out the gate(or within on playthrough).

Even the quartz upgrades feel like mostly stuff you would get from exploration or default abilities that were sequestered into an upgrade tree simply because its a "soulsborne" so no way can the player have their full kit right out the gate(or within on playthrough).

Some of that shit definitely feels like it should've been there either by default or available much earlier. It's basically "upgrade to make game less clunky". Wouldn't be surprised if NG+ actually ends up being more fun in this game just because your character isn't a useless shit anymore.
Stopped for today at the swamp monster. First phase is ok but the second one kills me very fast. I'll see tomorrow if I want to do it properly or will just do it like King of Puppets, wait until I manage to get second phase to around half health and then finish it off with throwables. These double boss fights are kind of cancer, especially when second health bar is a completely different fight from first.

cruel

Cipher
Stopped for today at the swamp monster. First phase is ok but the second one kills me very fast.

Good luck, one of the top 3 hardest bosses in the game. I didn't make it without a summon, still feel bad a little bit about it.

Good luck, one of the top 3 hardest bosses in the game. I didn't make it without a summon, still feel bad a little bit about it.

Seems like throwables are a perfectly fine "skip boss" option here, at least since chapter 5 where you get the merchant that sells all types of those. And it's at least more costly than using summons. In hindsight I really shouldn't have even bothered with the summon in Brotherhood fight. But whatever, won't feel bad about it, crap fight is crap. I will most likely end up doing that swamp monster second phase with throwables, I even upgraded their carry limit to 7 now. I did it for BLOBERT fight too.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At a stage now where I'm thinking "I could solo this boss in about an hour but I don't wanna spend an hour learning his spastic bs". So I give it about 4 tries and then get a summon.

Now in Sekiro, an hour of learning was nothing. Enjoyable even. Needed 6 hours to kill the Sword Saint. But Sekiro is in a very different league. This is fun as long as it doesn't waste my time too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom