Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lies of P - a Pinocchio-Inspired Souls-Like Game

At a stage now where I'm thinking "I could solo this boss in about an hour but I don't wanna spend an hour learning his spastic bs". So I give it about 4 tries and then get a summon.

Now in Sekiro, an hour of learning was nothing. Enjoyable even. Needed 6 hours to kill the Sword Saint. But Sekiro is in a very different league. This is fun as long as it doesn't waste my time too much.

It's not designed well enough to be worth enduring a lot of these bosses. Cheesing with throwables feels better to me than using summons, but whatever does it for you. If fight feels like annoying bullshit and I don't feel like I'm improving fast enough after about 10 deaths I will cheese it.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The game is actually the most ambush/gank-happy soulslike I've ever played.
It's kinda obnoxious in this regard, a lot of time you can see the set-up coming from a mile away but it's done in such a way that it'll catch you no matter what. What's the point in paying attention when you aren't able to thwart a surprise attack anyway? It does this too much.

What is the mechanic I am missing here
The big dude gets really passive when the others show up, the others stagger easily to the point of corner stunlock-raping them, don't create too much distance between them or the big guy will catch up real quick and get more agro for a bit. First fight that took me quite some tries as well.

As for the stats I feel that they don't matter all that much, everything except stamina is useful and the damage stats don't seem to scale all that hard. Feels like Nioh where you just get a bit of everything for NG.
Took me over an hour to realize the puppetking "gimmick"
second phase dodge and punish, only parry as last resort
, after that it was just a couple more tries dying to the
fire-flurry
. Best boss so far.
All in all I feel I would have a lot more fun if the game was just a boss rush, not digging the setting/levels/enemies/leveling but the boss fights are fun so far, kinda forcing you to try different approaches and CLANG is a straight-up (albeit kinda cheap) dopamine button.

It's not designed well enough to be worth enduring a lot of these bosses.
As for fights feeling annoying I'm getting the sense that a lot of this is very small things compounding; Heals/dodges/attacks/items seem to have different input buffers, this feels bad; You lose control a tad too long after going through fog doors; That type of little shit. The visuals might be polished, the overall feel/gameplay is not.

Last edited:
As for fights feeling annoying I'm getting the sense that a lot of this is very small things compounding; Heals/dodges/attacks/items seem to have different input buffers, this feels bad; You lose control a tad too long after going through fog doors; That type of little shit. The visuals might be polished, the overall feel/gameplay is not.

Small things and not so small like not being able to get up faster when knocked down. All I can do is watch helplessly as even more attacks land on me without being able to do shit about it. Maybe they thought it was a great idea for it to be ultimate punishment but it never feels fun to me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The visuals might be polished, the overall feel/gameplay is not.
Even before I jumped in I'd read A LOT of comments from fans of LoP saying stuff like "great game but stay away from NG+". Sounded weird at that time but now I get it - NG is very forgiving, you can goof around and brute force a lot of shit and usually come on top before you run out of heals.

But in NG+ you actually have to play the game as intended, with skilful parries and dodges and using all your tools at the right time and that's like trying to play soccer in high heels. Now Elden Ring is also brimming with bullshit but at least its nuts and bolts are tight as a loli pussy.

abija

Prophet
Huh? I cruised through NG+ til I got bored , it was miles easier than normal run. I guess it could get harder in the later parts... maybe I should continue that run.

Could only get swamp monster second phase to about 60% health. Ran out of patience and spammed throwables. And even then came close to dying. :lol: Chapter 9 bosses were all doable without cheese, the first Weasel fuck turned out to be most annoying but then I remembered to use the fully upgraded Puppet String. I really like that thing, guaranteed knock down on a lot of enemies and seems to do massive stagger build up as well.

Last edited:
So second Brotherhood fight is even more retarded than first lol. Killed two of them with throwables and got the last one to low health and here comes the big fuck that's supposed to be dead already. Ran out of shit to throw and died. Fuck this, time to bring out the summon for the second time.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
At a stage now where I'm thinking "I could solo this boss in about an hour but I don't wanna spend an hour learning his spastic bs". So I give it about 4 tries and then get a summon.

Now in Sekiro, an hour of learning was nothing. Enjoyable even. Needed 6 hours to kill the Sword Saint. But Sekiro is in a very different league. This is fun as long as it doesn't waste my time too much.

It's not designed well enough to be worth enduring a lot of these bosses. Cheesing with throwables feels better to me than using summons, but whatever does it for you. If fight feels like annoying bullshit and I don't feel like I'm improving fast enough after about 10 deaths I will cheese it.
BRO YOU MISSSSINS THE POINT

THIS GAME REWARDS YOU FOR USING THROWABLES LIKE NO OTHER SOULSLIKE

YERP BROS I USE ALL SUMMONS BUT STILL WREK NAMELESS FAGGOT IN EVERY PLAIEDTHROUFH

BROS MY BIGGEREST FAV ABOUT THIS GAME IS THAT THROWABLES ARE VERY GOOD JUST DUGGGERENT THAN MOST SOULS WQNNABE

BROSEPH SO TRUE SEKIRO YOU JUST GET GOOD NO OTHER WAY

LIES OF P YOU GET YOUR SUMMOMS AND GOODNESS THROWINGS YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE TO ERASE HOURS OF ASSRAPE THAT SEKIRO GIVES YOU

BTW GOT MY SHIT PUSHRD IN BY OWL SEKIRO FOR LIKE AN HOUR FINALLY WON

Yeah I guess I really shouldn't call using throwables "cheesing", it's clearly the smarter way to play this game. Leads to happier life for sure. I wish I could've bought infinite throwables for Watchman fight too.

cruel

Cipher
Small things and not so small like not being able to get up faster when knocked down. All I can do is watch helplessly as even more attacks land on me without being able to do shit about it. Maybe they thought it was a great idea for it to be ultimate punishment but it never feels fun to me.

But, there is a skill especially for that, rising dodge or something? And I think they were supposed to make it a default skill after some patch as well.

But, there is a skill especially for that, rising dodge or something? And I think they were supposed to make it a default skill after some patch as well.

What, really? But I've tried many times when knocked down to dodge, I usually end up being hit again before my char finally moves.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah I guess I really shouldn't call using throwables "cheesing", it's clearly the smarter way to play this game. Leads to happier life for sure. I wish I could've bought infinite throwables for Watchman fight too.
BRO YOU MANY THINKS

GRIND TO BUY THROWABLES AT THE LOBSTER MERCHANT YEP YOU CANS GRIND IT

BRO YOU MANY THINKS

GRIND TO BUY THROWABLES AT THE LOBSTER MERCHANT YEP YOU CANS GRIND IT

I didn't even need to grind it, I just don't use my Ergo consumables for anything else. Throwables are cheap enough.

It's supposed to be a soulslike tho, not an Antifa street riot simulator.

That's why they made protagonist a tranny, to clue you in on how to play.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Victor the most enjoyable boss fight so far, not too autistic, not too easy, attacks readable and memorizable, don't need 13yo Korean reflexes. Second stage seemed easier than 1st. Needed about 5, 6 runs which is optimal.

Victor the most enjoyable boss fight so far, not too autistic, not too easy, attacks readable and memorizable, don't need 13yo Korean reflexes. Second stage seemed easier than 1st. Needed about 5, 6 runs which is optimal.

Man, when I have to do some boss 30 times you need 5 runs for it. When I do it first try you still need 5 runs. I would love to have your consistency.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Man, when I have to do some boss 30 times you need 5 runs for it. When I do it first try you still need 5 runs. I would love to have your consistency.
I guess different bosses are easier or harder for different builds. I'm running almost exclusively with a rapier, as a pure Tech build, and rely heavily on staggers and deathblows and this dumb chunk of meat just wouldn't stagger. Had to manually whittle him down with pokes lol.

I'm running almost exclusively with a rapier, as a pure Tech build, and rely heavily on staggers and deathblows and this dumb chunk of meat just wouldn't stagger.

I ended up going for Advance, but I only got that stat at 20 now. Mostly using either Salamander Dagger or Acidic Spear ever since chapters 4-5, have both of these at +10 now. Haven't found electric weapon that suits me, both of them blunt types and I am not blunt guy in these games. The fire dagger is my favorite to use, really fast. Charged up heavy attacks come out pretty fast, can even chain multiples of them a lot of times.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The fire dagger is my favorite to use, really fast. Charged up heavy attacks come out pretty fast, can even chain multiples of them a lot of times.
Huh, a Tech dagger's been sitting idly in my inventory for the last 10 hours. Been avoiding it thinking it might be too puny - a habit from FS games where nobody ever mains daggers - but maybe it's time I took it for a spin.

cruel

Cipher
Don't skip! Best fight of the game, worth getting good.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Zurbo

Novice
Yeah, Laxasia was the only boss in the game that I would like to fight again to get a better understanding of her moves.
Of course it's your playthrough and your choice, but you may want to at least try dancing with her a bit in a second phase.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As for the Green Monster I liked the fight. It's a living being, it has actually readable windups and tells (mostly) as opposed to the retarded robots.

There's just one problem that made me skip the fight with a spectre after 10 runs - the fucking thing does an idiotic amount of damage in the 2nd phase. It'd kept two-shotting me with my 500 HP, and not with some kamehameha ultimates but regular swings that come very fast. So it was often schwing-schwing, ded in about 0,5 seconds, from full HP. Its retarded spastic rolling-on-the-floor BS is also obnoxious but can be countered with the P-Organ upgrade that stuns mobs with a successful parry.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Arcade shortcuts are the best ones so far, top fucking kek.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom