Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read: Justice League of America

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And here we are at last. Grant Morrison's run on Justice League of America, one of the most beloved and acclaimed mainstream comics of all time. I could list a whole lot of adjectives generally associated with the run, talk about Bat-God, contemporary mythology or somesuch. Instead, I'm just going to leave a quote by Grant Morrison about why he recreated the Justice League with the original membership (for the past twenty years when publication began and even before it Justice League had largely become a soap opera populated by B-listers):

The strength of the Justice League lies in the fact it actually can boast a membership comprising the World's Greatest Heroes.

Without further ado, first four issues are coming!

Also, remember to buy the stuff if you like it, GM's JLA run is one of the most readily available American comics.

Vaarna_Aarne

pG0U7.jpg

7QR3Y.jpg

k0uCQ.jpg

xD5SD.jpg

DMwWG.jpg

I696j.jpg

Qs1kL.jpg

kVlAo.jpg

PujHi.jpg

ywPAX.jpg

Pacgn.jpg

xkFQK.jpg

cLGVb.jpg

SG0OJ.jpg

8KTwo.jpg

zBcFc.jpg

zNNPn.jpg

0K5nO.jpg

uAS5Q.jpg

Owuht.jpg

lnclz.jpg

3jrJZ.jpg

dmV0Y.jpg

Eyeball

Arcane
That was.....derp.

"Oh hai gaiz, let's invade that planet down there that's made of like 75% flammable material. Ohmigod, our plans are foiled, the humans carry pocket lighters! We are DOOOOMED!

This confirms my previous hypothesis - even the most highly lauded suparhomo comics still manage to be terrible.

laclongquan

Arcane
YOu wish? Hell, I wish!

I mean, Justice fucking league of america, the comic that he threaten us from the first day of comic posting period around here and what is this shit?

One chick, and not even that sexy to make up for the lack of quantity. Hell, not even a main Point of View character.

Fucking US comic!

Vaarna_Aarne

Of course Batman is teh bestast evar!!! in this series, considering Morrison's massive boner for Wayne (culminating in lol Batman killing Darkseid with gun)
Wrong. And wrong series as well.

(actually Morrison's favourite superhero is The Flash)

EDIT: Now, I'm going to take a bit of time to explain why White Martians are not acting stupid. First of all, in case you forgot they spent considerable effort into making sure humans just roll over without resistance, first with orbital mind control satellites and then by neutralizing the Justice League. You'd also notice that a single pocket lighter or little fire does NOT rob them of their powers, as demonstrated by Batman. The purpose of the page with everyone lighting a small fire is to show resistance, with the actual big fucking fires being the real bad thing for the Martians. Similarly, how often do you encounter large fires in your daily life?

As for their motive, it's because they're hardline Martian supremacists who wanted to rebuild Earth, Mars' sister planet, in the image of ancient Mars. It also bears mention that without their superheroes Earth is very vulnerable. Especially to a super-species like the Martians.

It also bears mention that the fire weakness was not a new thing, it's been the weakness of Martians in the DCU ever since the introduction of Martian Manhunter, though the history of the weakness and its exact nature is convoluted and I don't understand it entirely so I won't get further into that. Suffice to say that fire does not act like Kryptonite to them, not being toxic or allergic, but simply prevents them from effectively using their powers (as their strength and invulnerability is tied to their molecular control over themselves).

Finally, I will point out that this series was never about deep storytelling, character-driven drama or mind-bending ponderations. It was from the start about reconstruction of the Justice League into its roots, and served as a precursor to the later "widescreen comics" spearheaded by The Authority in making threats and stories larger-than-life and way out there. It's a whole lot of fun and full of energy, biggerstrongerfaster, with witty dialogue and strong characterization, and that's why people love it. Personally I prefer comics like Doom Patrol and The Invisibles, but I can appreciate Justice League (and the various mangas being posted), and it's important to be able to savour all good fiction and not limit yourself.

PS: Grant Morrison says Superman picked that mullet from hell when he died.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
So this is where Smhaylayahan got his inspiration for Signs. Pity he ended up with an even more retarded weakness.

Vaarna_Aarne

See my previous edit about the long DCU history of Martians and fire. I can post moar about the subject if people want, next page is still waiting.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought of something. Remember that "super-sickness" that the Martians caused? And who it targeted? Everyone who had fire-based powers.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I actually like Green Lantern, Superman and Wonder Woman getting their asses handed to them like little bitches while Martian Manhunter and Batman are all :obviously:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Maybe it's just me being an outside observer with little background in the subject but fire - or rather heat - seems as selective as water is to the aliens in Signs.

Because sure, you took away the fire-based superheroes. But Superman had heat vision off the get-go, why didn't they catch him? Why doesn't Flash just rub himself against any of them at speeds approaching light? In fact I'm pretty sure - and again, this is me applying off-grid knowledge here - the use of superpowers like superspeed and superstrength and metal robots walking around probably generate immense amounts of heat. What happens when the JLA finds flamethrowers?

But maybe I'm missing something.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is probably one of the worst drawn super man i've seen. This isn't superman. Just some guy...with long hair...and muscles. Wearing superman costume.

Vaarna_Aarne

It was a dark, different time, a time of pouches and when Superman had a mullet.

Maybe it's just me being an outside observer with little background in the subject but fire - or rather heat - seems as selective as water is to the aliens in Signs.

Because sure, you took away the fire-based superheroes. But Superman had heat vision off the get-go, why didn't they catch him? Why doesn't Flash just rub himself against any of them at speeds approaching light? In fact I'm pretty sure - and again, this is me applying off-grid knowledge here - the use of superpowers like superspeed and superstrength and metal robots walking around probably generate immense amounts of heat. What happens when the JLA finds flamethrowers?

But maybe I'm missing something.
They did get Superman, just used Martian Mind Trick to make him think he was under the effects of Kryptonite.

Though to clarify, The Flash does NOT merely run fast. Because of the Speed Force, he is able to bend relativity and space-time. To put it in perspective, The Flash is not faster than a speeding bullet. He's faster than time.

Hmmm, actually right now we're doing what Grant Morrison calls the worst failing of the adult mind in his book: We're failing to separate fantasy from reality.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If only I could once again come upon the innocence of my childhood; but it is lost, and in its place now brews cynicism and RPGCodex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom