Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizards and Warriors !

Shagnak

Shagadelic
cardtrick said:
I asked over at Ironworks Gaming Forum, where they have a surprisingly active Wizards and Warriors board
Yeah, I used to use (and lurk on) those forums all the time. They have a good Wizardy 8 forum too.

I've pimped them a couple of times on this forum, mainly because people keep asking the same old questions about W&W and how to get it going.*

*but noone notices. :-(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe you're doing it wrong? I remember being able to use potions on yourself, though in a different way than you use to use them on others.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
cardtrick said:
Do you mean you just reloaded more times when leveling with him to be sure to get more stat points?
No. All other characters obtained either one or two stat points when leveling, but this one got one, two or three. And three came out often.

cardtrick said:
Or were there times along the way when you could allocate some kind of bonus stat points to one character only, and you chose him?
Yes. That's the favoritism part. I used more stat raising ankhs on him than on the others.

Jasede said:
Maybe you're doing it wrong? I remember being able to use potions on yourself, though in a different way than you use to use them on others.?

I don't think so since other potions like "heal" or" bloodlust" work just fine on oneself. Only mana potions have this problem.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
I can't wait for you to try the Boogre cave...I bet that's where you are now. That places gives me nightmares, even to this day.

I was a frequent poster on the Gfaqs board for this game when it came out, and I remember helping people through it. It was one of the parts where the vast majority of the weaklings gave up on the game and went back to playing their console games. Oh, how funny it was.

I posted a couple videos of this game on youtube. I would post more, but each minute takes up one gig of Hard Drive space when recorded through FRAPs. I can only guess that it's due to the high resolution I am forcing it to run in, thanks to the fanmade graphics patch.

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm, and where is dat patch at? Does the high rezo really make a diff? (since its fp view)

DOS-fanboy

Novice
Andhaira said:
Hmm, and where is dat patch at? Does the high rezo really make a diff? (since its fp view)

You can somewhat tell in my youtube video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9nXLSxyHPg

It lets you run in resolutions higher then 1024x768. Or at least one above that. To me, the difference is staggering. The fuzzy, distorted text is gone, the walls have an unreal-engine smoothness to them and it seems to run much better. You be the judge:

http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wizards ... oads.shtml

DL the graphics patch and you'll see, it looks much, much sharper.

cardtrick

Arbiter
My copy of Wizards and Warriors arrived in the mail yesterday. I love this game so far. Character creation/development is so incredibly satisfying! And it's actually quite a nice looking game. I haven't gotten far yet -- just met up with Rethpian in the crypt -- but I'm having a really good time. It's so incredibly nice that combat doesn't get slowed down by waiting for sounds or animations . . . a fight that would take 15-20 minutes in Wizardry 8 takes more like 2 or 3 in Wizards and Warriors, and yet has nearly the same tactical depth. There are some annoying interface oddities, and the plot and setting seem to be quite generic, but I highly, highly recommend this to any fan of Wizardry 8.

By the way -- I hope you're planning to continue this thread, Vazdru. I may stop reading for a while to prevent spoilers, but it's been a great Let's Play so far.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I was busy this week, so sorry for the late update. Anyway, here goes :

PS0347.jpg

The party reaches a cave opening and decides to investigate...

PS0349.jpg

A gate bars the entrance.

PS0352.jpg

Looks like we fell into a trap. The floor opens beneath our feet and we fall...

PS0354.jpg

...right in front of this grotesque creature.

PS0356.jpg

The bitch throws a curse at us !

PS0358.jpg

Holy shit ! She turned us into boogres ! She leaves right after these words. So, we have one day to find a cure...

PS0359.jpg

The guard doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the box. Let's try pure bluff.

PS0360.jpg

He lets us out of the cage. Let's go exploring !

PS0361.jpg

Nice wall paintings there.

PS0369.jpg

Boogres are generally friendly towards us. But not always. Some, like this one, attack and have to be killed.

PS0368.jpg

We meet Malgrim leader of the "Tinkers", the nice boogres. He seems to have a plan of escape.

PS0367.jpg

He won't tell us of his plan unless we join the Tinkers. We'll see about that, we leave him for now.

PS0370.jpg

Next we meet Vargul, leader of the Plun'drs, brutes among the boogres. I like his attitude. I also hate whimps.

PS0371.jpg

He's not as stupid as Malgrim made him. He also have a plan of escape. We decide to join his faction. He tells us that the first step towards freedom is to kill some giant bug in an arena. Let's find it...

PS0374.jpg

Ho ho ! Looks like it.

PS0375.jpg

Yup ! That's most definitely it.

PS0376.jpg

Die already ! After killing it we explore it's lair and find the remnants of a samurai body and a ring.

PS0378.jpg

This stupid oaf has forgotten what the ring is for. We'll find out, nevermind.

PS0380.jpg

We find this tavern and buy some boogre's brew. The sight is weird here, because we are standing ON the bar's counter rather than in front of it.

PS0383.jpg

This is the start of a trapped course. I don't really know how you're supposed to make it through without taking damage. Since being boogres grants every character a +100 Hit points, I ran through everything and healed afterwards...

PS0384.jpg

The course goes on, underwater swimming awaits...

PS0385.jpg

Fuck. More traps.

PS0386.jpg

Will this ever end ?

PS0387.jpg

Finally. We reach this ugly idol which doesn't really improves our mood. There are also two treasure chests and that on the other hand, does...

PS0388.jpg

In this dungeon there are Jungle lilies, huge carnivorous plants, as bad as the Amazoni mantraps. The first one we meet is stuck, out of spore spitting range, behind a boogre. We fry it easily. Exploit ahoy !

PS0389.jpg

Some chests are not what they appear...

PS0390.jpg

This is the start of a nasty place where you are teleported and hurt at every doorstep. It's a bit painful to navigate, but we make it through.

PS0391.jpg

Murderers and maniacs. Nice comittee there.

PS0394.jpg

This ugly bitch is the one who threw us into the pit at the entrance. She wants the ring we found, so we give it to her since we are too noble to hold a grudge against such a pitiful creature.

PS0395.jpg

She volunteers to open the gate leading to the witch boss, let's follow.

PS0397.jpg

The witch sleeps tight.

PS0398.jpg

We grab this obviously important item.

PS0399.jpg

This, of course, wakes Sleeping Beauty.

PS0401.jpg

Even if she laughs at massive damage, she's not that tough. The fight is not too hard.

PS0403.jpg

Nice fire effects here. We are shooting at some more Jungle lilies.

PS0405.jpg

They just won't die.

PS0406.jpg

Fuck. Out of mana now...

PS0407.jpg

Quick, some mana potions...

PS0408.jpg

Back to business.

PS0410.jpg

We have to go back to the witch's room before finally droping the last one with the last little spell we had.

PS0411.jpg

After this we reach another puzzle room. In this one you have to use wooden sticks (found in different chests among the dungeon) in the different holes to make platforms stand out of the walls and climb out, to one of the two exits.

PS0414.jpg

The first exit is the way we came in. We ignore it and use the second exit.

PS0416.jpg

This double-headed dude wants to fight.

PS0417.jpg

Take this !

PS0418.jpg

Two heads... two chests.

PS0419.jpg

Back in the dungeon after looking all around the little clearing outside. Undead. I hate undead.

PS0420.jpg

This is the spirit of the samurai, who's remains we found earlier. He just leaves when we have killed all undead.

PS0421.jpg

This place is crawling with uglies. Can't even examine a chest peacefuly.

PS0422.jpg

Now it's time to use the Evil eye. The "stange orb" from the witch's room. It can be invoked on a single character to give him the "Evil eye" trait. Ladonna does it.

PS0423.jpg

Now we use it on that slot in the wall.

PS0424.jpg

Jesus ! More lilies !

PS0425.jpg

Usual hit and run tactics.

PS0426.jpg

Another ugly idol.

PS0427.jpg

Yes ! It rids us of the curse ! We are back to our furry selves.

PS0428.jpg

Let's leave that place. Forever.

PS0429.jpg

Among the loot, the "tome of winds". That's two out of four.

PS0430.jpg

Back to town. A new job for us.

PS0431.jpg

This dude tells us about some ore that is dragonfireproof. It's to be found in the stout mines.

PS0433.jpg

Since we need a character that can cast Vine spells (in order to breathe underwater in the late part of the game) Vdweller is training as a ranger. He needs to find some Raptor's egg. Here is the loving mother.

And that's it for today. Next update : the stout mines.

PS0402.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Working on AoD turned Vdweller into a real bug hater.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I remember the Boogre lair with much fondness. Being transformed into great big smelly thickies was a great "WTF!?" moment.

I hope you're not giving up there...I'd at least like to see the underwater city again (though that is well beyond where you're up to).

cardtrick

Arbiter
I'm just about to do this dungeon, so I've only barely skimmed that post to avoid spoilers (I'm trying to avoid reading any posts thoroughly before I've done that part of the game). I did things in a slightly different order, though, so I've already hit the Stout mines and made one of my guys an assassin (he's a badass now).

I love this game. So far, I like it better than Wizardry 8. It's inspired me to screw around with a few game engines in the hope of making an indie dungeon crawler of my own, but probably nothing will come from it. So thanks, Vazdru, for this thread!

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Shagnak said:
I hope you're not giving up there...I'd at least like to see the underwater city again (though that is well beyond where you're up to).

No I'm not, never fear. But a friend of mine gave me "Age of Wonders : Shadow Magic" and I'm playing it like crazy, so the W&W's pace has slowed. I've finished the Stout mines and done half of Shurugeon castle. So an update is coming soon.

cardtrick said:
So thanks, Vazdru, for this thread!

You are welcome ! Glad to know that you enjoy the game. It deserves better than the little praise it got... back in the days.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Back for a new update. The stout mines. There are not many fights here, since this place is more about "navigating" using the automap, and solving the tracks puzzle, by flinging some switches. So it's short to account for, but longer to do.

PS0436.jpg

At the mine's entrance stands this fellow who wants to see our papers. We actually have a writ (found it on some dead body in the country outside) but let's try "something completely different", as the Monty Python say.

PS0437.jpg

Boogre brew !

PS0438.jpg

I see we understand each other...

PS0439.jpg

The mines are full of sturdy little stouts... mining the shit out of thin air !

PS0441.jpg

We meet the stout king.

PS0442.jpg

This is one humble king. Anyway, he tells us to find some rare dragon ore in the deepest part of the mines, so he can craft us a dragon armor. Ok, nice, let's go ! Before leaving he tells us that we have to use mine trolleys and one of them happens to be broken. Looks like we're in for some maintenance work. Well, nothing comes for free.

PS0443.jpg

These are the trolleys. The one on the right is broken...

PS0444.jpg

We hop aboard the left one.

We reach a deep part of the mines where we fight different creatures. Bats, Worgurs, crazy miners...

PS0446.jpg

Those are the worst. The only real hard fight we had.

PS0445.jpg

We find the lever we need for the broken trolly.

PS0447.jpg

Let's try it on !

PS0449.jpg

Perfect fit. We jump in the trolly and head for even deeper parts of the mine...

PS0451.jpg

We follow some old tracks to this lava zone.

PS0453.jpg

This is a sort of dragon-dog creature. Tougher than it looks but not really dangerous.

PS0454.jpg

We mine some lumps and find the dragon ore in one of them. If you look all around you can actually find two lumps of dragon ore, and so get two armors. We do that of course.

PS0455.jpg

Some cliffhanging fighting, while exploring the area.

PS0456.jpg

Back to the king.

PS0457.jpg

Sure, take your time your majesty. While waiting we'll go explore the mines some more...

PS0450.jpg

There are switch-points on the trollys' tracks. Like here. The arrow points right, so the trolly goes right.

PS0458.jpg

But switches like this one, can change the arrow direction. The arrow can be seen between the bars on this window.

So by doing some quick mental work and doing many back and forth trolly trips, you can reach a very secret part of the mines...

PS0461.jpg

...and get to meet this stout. The very same one the ratling rogue asked us to kill.

PS0462.jpg

He is planning to rob the royal treasure. We refuse his proposition to join him. He does not take NO for an answer and attacks. Poor little man. He dies easily.

PS0463.jpg

We can now use his secret tunnel to loot the treasure ourselves.

PS0466.jpg

LOOT ! Gold bars ! Those stouts are just as greedy as their dwarven counterparts.

PS0464.jpg

King Freyedies, none the wiser, has finished the armor by the time we have finished looting him clean.

PS0465.jpg

The Dragon plate armor. The 80% fire protection is incorrect though. It's actually 35%. Still, a very good magical plate. And we get two of them.

PS0467.jpg

Now back to the rogue, to tell him of Raskalion's death. He thanks us with a very special dagger...

PS0470.jpg

First, it can be "invoked" once to give the Deathstrike ability to a character.

PS0471.jpg

Second, a rogue having it in its inventory when entering the thieves guild gets offered to become an assassin. Pretty cool. So Vazdru is now an assassin.

And that's it for this update. The next one should come faster since all screenshots are ready. I had some trouble with the software I use to make them though, but I'll tell you about that on the next update. See you guys soon ! :wink:

PS0459.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Cave crab. Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Here's another update. As I said in my last post, I had trouble withe the soft I use to take screenshots. So a whole gaming session went down the drain. It's been twice now that a series of screenshots disappeared so I was more cautious after that and saved a copy of my screenshots in a second folder. Anyway it now works, and the Dragon caves part will be more detailed. Sorry about that. To partly make up for the lack of screenshots I went back and took some after actually completing the dungeon.

Ok, now let's play. Meet some of the interesting local NPC before going to the haunted Shurugeon castle.

PS0472.jpg

Torin is a samurai. We had to deliver him a dragon arrow for the bushi guild.

PS0473.jpg

He's Grunnaxe's son. Hate to brake it to you pal, but your dad is SO dead. killed by a giant bug in the boogres' lair.

PS0474.jpg

We meet and kill the fearsome werewolf that terrorized the local town.

PS0475.jpg

This is Jathil. We had to give him a message, from the priests' guild.

PS0476.jpg

He rewards the members of the priests guild in our party with the "Arcane void" trait (offensive ennemies spells do 25% less dammage) . Cool.

PS0477.jpg

Shrew Chishi is an assassin wanted dead by the bushi guild. He is quickly dispatched.

PS0501.jpg

Now let's enter castle Shurugeon !

PS0504.jpg

A nice pool awaits us inside. With doors all around.

PS0496.jpg

Nice castle so far.

PS0497.jpg

No dungeon would really be a dungeon without undead.

PS0498.jpg

The useless dorms. All guards are undead now.

We meet an interesting fellow, the wizard Ardibren. He asks us to meet him outside and disappears. Alright, let's go...

PS0495.jpg

We find him but he has been attacked and is dying. You can still have a long conversation with him. He just dies when you say "goodbye". So we talk some and he tells us that we have to find five "elements of evil" and use the "Masque of evil" (that we have keep carrying from the snake temple) to perform a ritual and kill the demon that is now lord of castle Shurugeon. He also gives us one of the five elements. So we need to find four in the castle. He then dies. On our way...

PS0499.jpg

A gloomy detention block. Complete with torture rack.

PS0482.jpg

Undead masterless samurais. Only in W&W...

PS0483.jpg

A rope bridge on the outside towers that leads to...

PS0484.jpg

...D'Soto's room. D'Soto is the former lord of the castle. Deposited by the demon, and now undead. He also was the last wielder of the Mavin sword. A ghost of importance for sure. One of the elements is in this room.

PS0478.jpg

Sewer swimming (yuck !) takes us to these majestic stairs.

PS0505.jpg

This is Lysandra the vampire. Not necessarily evil. She has one of the elements.

PS0480.jpg

Vdweller tries to steal it and gets caught. He gets a nice warning too.

PS0481.jpg

He insists and actually manages to pickpocket it ! I must admit I was amazed. :shock:

PS0485.jpg

We managed to get all five elements (I aligned them in the middle of the inventory for you to see. Nice isn't it ?).

PS0486.jpg

We put one element on each of the five claws supports surrounding the appropriate altar.

PS0487.jpg

And we use the masque on the central figurine.

PS0488.jpg

The masque is enchanted, we take it back.

Let's confront the demon now.

PS0489.jpg

Ha ha ! Meet your doom Haleabus ! We use the masque on him. I don't really know what it does. I think it makes him vulnerable to our mundane attacks.

PS0490.jpg

Anyway he doesn't like it. He shoots a fireball point blank, him being immune to fire. OK, let's fight. It takes some time, but we kill him eventually.

PS0491.jpg

D'Soto's is now a happy ghost.

PS0492.jpg

He tells us how to talk to the dragon so we can finally get that sword. And we also need a magical shroud to give to the dragon.

PS0493.jpg

The shroud is found in one of the nearby treasure chests.

We can now go to the dragon's cave, to get the Mavin sword. Next update... :wink:

PS0500.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Sexually-frustrated-heterosexual-teenager's fantasy galore ! Bradley knows his audience well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like how you fail to mention that her element looks like a dildo, that you can use it on her to make her moan (!?!) and that she can turn party-members into vampires permanently.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Seems like my dramatic pause is over. :(

Ok, I don't mind dying but I won't let a fellow southwestern frenchman down. I have stopped playing when reaching the ocean & crabs part of the game, but I have enough screenshots for two more updates I think. I'll post them before the next weekend. Then another dramatic pause will occur because :

1) I'm going to the southwestern part of France where my family lives for some holidays.

2) I'm currently playing other games and I don't like the final part of W&W.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
OK, sorry for being late, but crap, I'm In the southwest now, drinkin' wine and being cool. But I swore I would do an update so here goes...

Our party enter the Dragon Cave...

PS0505.b.jpg

One of the first things we find is a "bridge over troubled water ", you' re not supposed to dive. So we dive.

PS0518.jpg

A magic sword ! Ain't that cool ! I know sreens don't do this justice, but I was really busy playing so I didn't take that many screens in this particular area, so trust me on this, It's Teh Shit to dive in deep water and finally find such a cool sword. Since you know, You can dive all you want earlier in the game and not find anything. Just saying...

PS0507.jpg

This crank is turned with a special item that you can finhd find elsewhere in the dungeon. It leads to...

PS0508.jpg

This very friendly garden and it's gnomish caretaker.

PS0510.jpg

We need Three different crystals to get to the Dragon. So let's wander around...

PS0511.jpg

But first, let's rob this blind gnome blind...

PS0522.jpg

Our team enters a spider zone...

PS0532.jpg

Damn ! A real spider's zone !

PS0521.jpg

And we meet the spider's queen.

PS0524.jpg

A CHEST !

PS0525.jpg

Containing... A CRYSTAL !

PS0523.jpg

Some of those chests are not what they seem..

PS0512.jpg

An aquatic area, with a huge lake and those monsters.

PS0513.jpg

This is a unique monster (whose eyes we are supposed to get for the mage's guild).

PS0516.jpg

Let's get those eyes... It was actually very difficult to get them, since due to the limitations of the 3D engine, they were stuck and it took some massive drowning damage to eventually grab them.

PS0517.jpg

Here they are : The eyes of the serpent.

And that's it for today. I know it's short, but damn, I'm so drunk right now. I'll post more stuff in the coming days... Don't worry you'll get to see the Mavin sword.

PS0509.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Consistency ftw, If you ask him you'll realize that this dude is responsible for creating the Boogre's dungeon trap !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom