Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Wizards and Warriors !

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Re: Try turning d3d acceleration off

I've heard W&W has problems with ATI card sometimes. Perhaps turning off d3d acceleration in options (or sound as well) might help?

Thanks. As a matter of fact I turned ON the d3d acceleration and it now works fine. I don't know why I didn't think to try that right away, but i didn't, so a huge thank you.

PS0053.jpg

See ? I got the crystal, and the water texture is right again. Sweet. It maybe a little darker now but I'll use torchlight spells. I don't have time to play right now but I'll continue very soon. That's cool. :wink:

As for the amazon mantraps, they are one of the major fights of the game. Long ranged sun spells will take them down eventually. Volourn is learning new sun spells for this precise purpose. It's pretty hard to have decent enough ranged sun spells by the time you meet them, but it's doable. Close combat is out of question, if anybody did it, I'd be like... mesmerized.

Andhaira

Arcane
Shagnak said:
Well, I think it does. I think the game was great (despite its flaws and bugginess).
But then I have suspect taste.

Andhaira and Binary, report to SGLF headquarters, stat!

At laaaaast!! :D

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
A small update since I'm so happy that it now works fine. :)

PS0054.jpg

Now that we have the crystal we return to one of the dead ends of this place. See that wall painting ? In game you see better and it's obvious that it moves or something... Also, the minimap is a dead give-away.

PS0055.jpg

There is this strange receptacle if you look close enough, it's shaped like the crystal. How about trying the crystal on it ?

PS0056.jpg

Bingo ! The painting slides down and a lift appears. Let's go !

PS0058.jpg

We arrive in a very dark chamber. The text description is useful in-game on this one since you don't see shit, even with torchlights and Jasede's night vision. I edited some screenshots to add some light so you guys actually see something, but you don't see that well in-game.

PS0059.jpg

The figures speaks, it's an old mummy, it rambles on for some time about an ancient curse, and sure enough it starts to speak about killing us. He attacks right after this taunt.

PS0060.jpg

He is easy to dispatch. Way easier than the bone lord and his minions outside. Well I'm not complaining. He drops this locket in dying.

PS0061.jpg

There is a text on the locket. Hmmm, an angel engraving, it reminds our team of some statue they saw earlier...

PS0062.jpg

Now we use the secret told by Rethpian about a hidden chamber above the tomb of F'lokis Ra. Since the mummy was F'lokis Ra, this place is obviously his tomb. We make the lift go down without stepping in, and we jump on it's roof. When it comes up again we reach a secret corridor. The dammage the party takes is due to the fact that in this game, lifts are VERY dangerous. They kill your characters more often than most enemies. Anyway, we are a bit shaken but we made it !

PS0063.jpg

The corridor took us right back to the statue. Convenient. Let's say the words we read on the locket.

PS0064.jpg

Yes ! A barred passageway is now open. Let's go in. Note that Ladonna, ever the polite one, says "bye" when she's through with talking to NPC's, even statues.

PS0068.jpg

We meet some more undead.

PS0066.jpg

We open some locked doors.

PS0065.jpg

We also meet lots of bats. I wanted to show you those little pieces of shit. They go down in one blow, and don't do much dammage, but due to their ever-flapping animation, they are pretty hard to target with the mouse cursor. And that makes them extremely annoying. Kingcomrade's paper doll vanished on this screenshot... weird.

PS0067.jpg

Finally we reach a special chamber. With a choice. One is the wizard's path, the other the warrior's path. It's impossible to know which is which. So you tell me guys. Left or right ?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I always took the left path so I think you should too. Like Shagnak I can't remember many differences between the paths either.

Awesome let's play so far! :) I really should find this game. I know I have it somewhere.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Left it is. I wanted to go left anyway if nobody had answered. Check out my joke :

:arrow: "You guys ain't much help. Right, I go left".

Ok, I make some coffee, roll a joint, and I enter the dungeon...

Update in some indefinite amount of hours.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lonely Vazdru said:
Left it is. I wanted to go left anyway if nobody had answered. Check out my joke :

:arrow: "You guys ain't much help. Right, I go left".
Whoa, dude. I mean, LOL, y'know... Jeez... :|

Ok, I make some coffee, roll a joint, and I enter the dungeon...

Update in some indefinite amount of hours.
You fucking junkie motherfucker! :evil:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Locue said:
Whoa, dude. I mean, LOL, y'know... Jeez... :|
Thanks.

Locue said:
You fucking junkie motherfucker! :evil:
Thanks.

So we try the left cup :

PS0070.jpg

Crap ! Something is needed to open the path, we need to venture deeper in the dungeon.

PS0071.jpg

We reach a part of the dungeon with many coffins like this one.

PS0072.jpg

When opened, some give loot...

PS0073.jpg

Some others, undead.

PS0074.jpg

Now some serious fighting occurs. See how most of the team is paralysed/affraid/asleep/whatever ? That is not our friend on the first row's doing....

PS0075.jpg

...it's this little fucker's ! In the back row.

PS0076.jpg

Two deads later we finally come near that paralyzing nuisance. And we destroy it ! Ladonna and Volourn, being dead don't get the XP for both kills. So they are behind the others who all have enough now to level-up again. Too bad ! But then again, shit happens. It won't be the last time.

PS0077.jpg

We find two crystals on the bodies and the passage ends on two stairways going down. One on the left and one on the right. Since we agreed on going left...

PS0078.jpg

As soon as we enter the room downstairs, a stairway going up collapses, and retracts in the floor.

PS0079.jpg

We find a receptacle on the wall. One of the crystals fits.

PS0080.jpg

The stairway is up again.

PS0081.jpg

Ta da ! The fucking statuette. We grab it and hold some council...

After quickly debating, the team decides to go back to town, since : 1) two deaths are two too many. 2) we barely survived that last encounter so we need better gear. 3) we have lots of loot and unidentified items. 4) we need a break.

PS0082.jpg

On the way back we wish painful death on the gods of respawning... FRONT.

PS0083.jpg

BACK.

PS0084.jpg

In town we head straight for the temple. 119 gp for resurection is a real bargain.

PS0086.jpg

We get 250 gp and 250 XP each for the 25 skulls we bring back. (Note : not all skeletons drop skulls, you laughing bastards). Also we get a new quest to kill a local cutpurse for 200 GP. Pfff ! As in Princess Bride we are tempted to answer : "We've never worked for so little, well maybe once, but that was for a noble cause", or something like that. We accept anyway. :roll:

PS0087.jpg

We pay the required 50 gp to get this info about the Gypsies of the lake and their hidden stash.

PS0085.jpg

Highlight of our magic items : F'lokis Ra's locket ! It goes to Jasede. Because I feel like it.

Now we exit town. What happened exactly ? Well Kingcomrade has leather armor now, so does Jasede, Vazdru has a +1 AC amulet, with 50% poison protection, Vdweller has some leather armor pants and a rapier, Ladonna has a witch stick (a staff that casts "sleep" on hit), some potions of cure poison, and one of cure desease and Volourn has a +1 AC bracelet and two scrolls of "dispell undead". Only the leather armour parts were bought, the rest was loot.

PS0088.jpg

Now back to the dungeon. One of the (yet) unopened coffins holds a nasty surprise : F'Lokis Ra's twin brother.

PS0089.jpg

We use the statuette on the left urn, and the left bars rise up to open the way.

PS0090.jpg

We follow a corridor to this... I remember this part. It sucks. I don't feel like playing it tonight so I decide to level-up the team and be done with it for this update.
After leveling-up Vazdru and Vdweller are level 4 (rogues are so fast), Kingcomrade and Jasede level 3 with less than 200XP needed to level 4 and Ladonna and Volourn are level 3 with a bit more than 2000XP to go before level 4.

PS0069.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Fuckin' armored bra ! This game seriously delivers !

That's it for today. Bye and see you soon for some moonwalk in the fire pits. :x

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I remembered this part and I think it took at least 20 reloads before I got it right. Well, maybe I just missed a clue or sth... anyway, if it wasn't for the constant respawning this dungeon would've been quite fun imo.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Oh, even with the respawning it is still pretty cool. And you can "set" the respawn frequency. Only three options though, like "lotsa" "normal" "rare". I play on normal and it's okay. It adds some tension since you don't wander in lifeless corridors. But those fire pits are really shitty. It's one of the puzzles in this game that involve "platform gaming". I hate having to make jumps and runs, the more so if the margin of error is of about 2 pixels. :(

I'll enter these pits soon anyway, it has to be done.

cardtrick

Arbiter
This is a great Let's Play. I loved Wizardry 8 and I kind of want more of the same, but I don't have as much patience as I wish I did for old school interfaces. This thread is kind of making me want to play W&W. I may see if I can find it . . .

abstract

Scholar
I seem to remember some kind of exploit that allowed you to skip that shitty part... something about jamming a portcullis open with a box...?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Andhaira said:
Does the rare respawn option screw you over inregards to xp?

No, the XP you miss is minimal. I just want to make sure I'm not too safe. And I'd rather get pissed at the zillionest bat, than wander through empty halls. I'm lonely enough as it is.

abstract said:
I seem to remember some kind of exploit that allowed you to skip that shitty part... something about jamming a portcullis open with a box...?

Yep, that's one of the cheating ways to do it. You can also jump or run/walk backwards. All are shitty tricks who require 100 reloads. I seem to remember that walking backwards was the best. Anyway I'll try to make it "honestly" since this is a "Let's play". Also, the two path offered different kinds of fire pits I believe. Both very irritating though.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lonely Vazdru said:
Yep, that's one of the cheating ways to do it. You can also jump or run/walk backwards. All are shitty tricks who require 100 reloads. I seem to remember that walking backwards was the best. Anyway I'll try to make it "honestly" since this is a "Let's play". Also, the two path offered different kinds of fire pits I believe. Both very irritating though.
Seriously, if you can make a special video let's play of this area, this let's play will be even more awesome. With hilarious spoken commentary please.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Locue said:
Seriously, if you can make a special video let's play of this area, this let's play will be even more awesome. With hilarious spoken commentary please.

No way, I don't do videos. Yet :oops:

It was enough to learn how to use : Photobucket to upload pics, a screenshot saver to take screenies and an image editor to improve light on the screenies. But I 'll explain how to properly do it.

Let's go then :

PS0092.jpg

Here's the deal. All fires in the room burn the party, except the one in front of us right now. This is the central fire, it heals the party and opens the portcullis you can see facing us.

PS0093.jpg

See ? We're healed and the door is open. But as soon as you step out the door closes.

PS0094.jpg

Two sides of the room have a lever like this one. The trick (I pass on my experiments and get to the conclusion) is to pull both levers and exit through the (now) open door without passing through the central healing fire. But that is not all. You have to do it using the longest (and most painfull) route ! So after using some heal potions, and waiting some time (characters slowly regenerate hit points over time) between two fires we make it out of this place.

PS0096.jpg

As soon as we're out, oozes attack from inside the room. These horrors are like totally left alone by the fire pits. Unfair ! We kill them.

PS0097.jpg

The corridor leads to this pit. We jump down.

PS0098.jpg

We face the equivalent of the wizard's spirit fought earlier. A paralyzing undead. Time for Volourn to use his newly learned ranged sun spells.

PS0099.jpg

Burn ! Piece of shit. Flamedrop takes care of the creature in two rounds while the team watches, paralyzed. Except for Ladonna who heals our lizzord hero.

PS0100.jpg

We stumble upon this weird painting obviously not as innocent as it looks. I spend a good ten minutes fumbling around the room to find a way to open it, before finally realizing it's the painting beneath the lift, from the upper floors. Stupid me !

PS0101.jpg

This beckoning pool offers some healing and a well needed bath.

PS0102.jpg

We arrive at a bridge.

PS0103.jpg

Fuck ! It's not a proper bridge. It stops, we'll have to swim. And fight some ugly fishes from what Kingcomrade says...

PS0105.jpg

We swim some and land near some very unfriendly undead. They friggin' VOMIT on us !

PS0109.jpg

We encounter and kill a banshee.

PS0110.jpg

This place is crawling with undead !

PS0111.jpg

Bad fountain !

PS0112.jpg

We meet this interesting fellow.

PS0113.jpg

Oh no ! Another rat maniac ! As a matter of fact we talk a lot with him and learn that he was a scientist working on a serum of eternal life and ended as a loony who creates hordes of undead.

PS0114.jpg

These words sign his death warrant.

PS0115.jpg

Almost dead.

PS0116.jpg

After killing him we jump in that hole at the center of the room.

PS0117.jpg

And fall in the water over another hole (opened by pulling a lever in the above room, before jumping).

PS0118.jpg

Underwater swiming, crap, that corridor is long...

PS0119.jpg

We reach a place with four huge tombs. All four are locked and can't be lockpicked, we need a special key. Hey, the stout's keys, they are underwater behind bars, we saw them earlier...

PS0120.jpg

Here they are, right beneath a lever that opens the bars and let us go back to the stout, and out of this dungeon easily.

PS0121.jpg

The first tomb we enter, we meet this spirit. There are plenty of dialogue choices (for this game) so we answer "What oath" and then have a pleasant chat with him about many things. Then we, of course, swear the oath (it's about using powers for good only, sort of "with great powers comes great responsability" spiderman thing) since you can't get the Mavin sword otherwise.

PS0122.jpg

These words make us realize that we are just pawns. Fuck ! How many were there before us ? And all failed.

PS0123.jpg

The spirit disappears and leaves this way cool ring. The Holy Signet. We need to show it to the "second watcher", the spirit was the first. In the meantime Vorlourn wears it, typical mage AC rising bauble. We decide to visit the other three tombs before leaving.

PS0124.jpg

In the first we are met by bats. :evil: There is also a treasure chest.

PS0125.jpg

The second has a cool shield.

PS0126.jpg

The third a nice helmet.

PS0128.jpg

Before leaving we speak again with Rethpian of some of the names (manually typed if you please) we have learned since entering. Scabban...

PS0130.jpg

And Kerah. I love those old school games. :D

PS0131.jpg

Screenshot of the loot. It's all concentrated on Ladonna for the picture, I usually dispatch it among the characters, according to my personal... weirdness. We have leveled-up. All are level 5, except Ladonna and Volourn, level 4.

I'll go to town and identify all this loot in the next update.

PS0106.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Sleeping undead.

That's all for today folks ! :wink:

This thread makes me wish I hadn't already sold the game some seven years ago. :? Reminds me of the fun dungeons the game had, at least in the first two thirds of it. Say, I'm really not ashamed to admit it, but I've never really played any of the Wizardry games. Sure, I've played various games that, dare I say drew inspiration from the Wiz series, like Legend Of Faerghail or Realms Of Arkania. Wizardry 8 I got the demo, Wiz6 a friend of mine had on Amiga, and Wiz 7, well.. I tried it. But never really got into it.

I played it a little but essentially it appeared to be just a maze full of monsters - even the town I eventually arrived in. Is the entire game set up that way? Even Might&Magic has never been like that. The general level of difficulty told me: "No wimps allowed!" right from the start, and with nothing to really get me hooked, as I'm told this would be a continuation of some adventure I couldn't give much of a monkey's butt about due to never having really played Wiz6, my Quest To Finally Play Wiz7 ultimately came to a halt.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
onemananadhisdroid said:
I played it a little but essentially it appeared to be just a maze full of monsters - even the town I eventually arrived in. Is the entire game set up that way?
Pretty much.
Even Might&Magic has never been like that
Well, I remember exploring towns in Worlds of Xeen and getting attacked by monsters all the time. And it was reasonably maze-like...

You'll be happy to know that towns are non-travelable hubs in Wizards and Warriors. No monsters, but no first person traipsing around either.
You essentially scroll a view left or right and select buildings to enter. Entering a building enters you into a non-scrollable view of the interior where you talk with its denizen.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Shagnak said:
onemananadhisdroid said:
I played it a little but essentially it appeared to be just a maze full of monsters - even the town I eventually arrived in. Is the entire game set up that way?
Pretty much.

Seconded. Wizardry 7 is a giant maze full of monsters. But it's a nice one.

Back to Wizards and Warriors now.

We left our party as they were going back to town, to identify the loot from the crypt dungeon...

Once in town we identify items and sell some (scrolls and powders mostly) for fast cash. This money plus the cash we picked-up in the dungeon allows us to join guilds. Kingcomrade was already a member of the fighter's guild, so is Jasede now. Ladonna joins the priests guild and Volourn the wizards guild. Vazdru and Vdweller will have to wait as there is no thieves guild in this town.

PS0133.jpg

Here Volourn joined the guild of sorcery (in the magic items shop) and gets a quest. He must kill a snake priest.

Every guild member gets a quest. Fighters have to kill a man by the name of "Mon the Sculz" and Ladonna must deliver a potion to a toad-man named "Mekdawa". Let's leave town and kick some ass then...

PS0134.jpg

Once outside we meet various foes, like a pack of rogues and their leader.

PS0135.jpg

We also find a wandering horse. The horse can be ridden (by the whole team !!! :shock: ) but it is as useles as in Daggerfall, so we continue on foot.

PS0137.jpg

We meet "Mon the Sculz", a wanted man for the Fighter's guild...

PS0138.jpg

The bastard blocks all with this shield of his...

PS0139.jpg

Still, he doesn't survive the encounter.

PS0140.jpg

We also meet and kill the troll cutpurse wanted by the charming fellow in the town hall.

We go back to town, since it's really near to collect on both kills. The fighters guild now asks our warriors to investigate the toad village, since toads have recently become hostile. OK, let's go !

PS0141.jpg

Wow ! Toads are indeed hostile !

PS0142.jpg

A raft, that can be used, like the horse. And just as useless.

PS0143.jpg

Hey look ! A fortune teller.

PS0144.jpg

The place is full of gypsies, they are very topless !

PS0145.jpg

Their leader tells us our fortune, but it's pretty cryptic... we'll come back another time.

PS0146.jpg

Once out nymphs attack. They are rather topless too... but weirdly it makes us fall asleep. Except Ladonna who ain't no lesbian, and Jasede who's a furry anyway.

PS0147.jpg

Ok sweetheart, wake the guys up !

PS0148.jpg

A giant spider, dangerous foe, it can easily poison on a succesful hit.

PS0150.jpg

Finally the sun rises ! This night was endless. I was sick of exploring in the dark.

PS0151.jpg

Near a windmill stands a girl let's talk to her.

PS0152.jpg

She's Kerielle she talks about the snake temple, and it's god : a Naga ! She asks us to go to the crypt to bring her back some necklace. Since we already went there, we already have it...

PS0153.jpg

Here you are girl.

PS0154.jpg

In thanks, she gives us an elixir that should protect us from the Naga.

PS0155.jpg

Inside the windmill.

PS0159.jpg

Hey that's Mekdawa !

PS0160.jpg

Take the potion you stupid toad ! Mekdawa is rather bugged. Once he said hello to you he walks away... so to give him the potion, or to talk to him, you have to follow him. Very annoying. We give him the potion anway.

PS0161.jpg

We arrive to town, after some more exploring but by the other door. The town has two main doors. The east one that we used untill now, and this one, the west one.

PS0162.jpg

Everytime we go back to town we repair our stuff.

Ladonna went to the priest who was very pleased with her toad-delivery. He then gave her the quest to bring back 500gp for the church. Since the team had 980 gp, we gave the 500 immediately. The priest was extatic. He asked Ladonna to go look for a ring in the crypt. This means the one we already visited, we'll have to go back there later.

PS0163.jpg

Now Ladonna is rank 3 in the Priests guild. Impressive. She also reached level 5, just like Volourn.

PS0132.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Stat Ankh.
In this world no bobbleheads, but Ankhs, to give one of your stats a permanent +1 boost.

That's it for today. :wink:

Rest well this night, for tomorrow you sail for the kingdom of... Toad-village !

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
After jogging alongside Mekdawa for a couple of miles in order to have a conversation with him about the toad people, we go to the toad village.

PS0164.jpg

Here it is.

PS0165.jpg

We tell Ekbu, the guard's leader that we are the Ukabu, heroes sent here to save the toads. That's what Mekdawa told us to say. Indeed Ekbu let us pass and tells us to find Shinwiki, the shaman.

PS0166.jpg

Even the most humble villager knows that we are heroes. We feel very important.

PS0167.jpg

We now face the shaman's house.

PS0168.jpg

Shinwiki is pretty friendly. He asks us to clean the sacred "Toadem", infected by "Evil". In exchange he will give us gold and a magic spear. Fair enough...

PS0169.jpg

This is the infected toadem, nobody in sight...

PS0170.jpg

Oops ! As soon as we approach, four of those monsters pop out of nowhere. Their ranged attacks are very potent, and we take quite a pounding, but slowly, using many heal potions in the process, we manage to kill them all.

PS0186.jpg

Shinwiki is pleased and give us some 600 gp and this cool magic spear. Since it's a cool item, Jasede invested some skill points in the "Pole&staff" skill to wield it efficiently.

PS0171.jpg

Back in town, the fighters report their successful investigation of the toad-village. The guild now wants them to find a sword in the crypt...

Since there are now two objects to find in the crypt, this sword and a ring for the clerics guild, we decide to go back there.

PS0172.jpg

Sword : check.

PS0173.jpg

Ring : check.

Now back to town.

PS0174.jpg

Ladonna is now training for Monk. In the guilds a character can choose a new class if requirements are met, and a special quest performed. Ladonna has to spend two complete days without anything equiped (weapon, armor, rings, etc,) and then report to some kind of Dojo, I don't remember the name. It's a building available in the next town, that much I know. Jasede is training for samurai, he must find a samurai baton and report to the same building. Kingcomrade and Volourn must improve some of their stats before they meet the requirements for the classes I'm aiming at. Vazdru and Vdweller are so pissed because they haven't even joined a guild yet !

After this, we exit the town.

PS0175.jpg

We encounter this nice altar in the wilderness, location is dutifully noted on the map.

PS0176.jpg

We reach a cave entrance...

PS0178.jpg

Hey, these old crones are the ones from the intro video...

PS0179.jpg

Yes ! I am, I mean we are... the chosen one... ones... anyway, Yes !

PS0180.jpg

We finally learn how to properly spell our enemy's name.

A long chat ensues, about chosen ones, prophecies, ancient evil, the usual fantasy crap... We must now find D'Soto, the last wielder of the Mavin sword. He's undead, imprisonned in his own castle by a fiendish familiar. We also must find "The face of death" in the serpent's temple. Well, we have many things to do then, so Bye oracle !

PS0182.jpg

We exit the cave through a (now) open tunnel and reach a new land !

PS0183.jpg

We land and are met by a giant spider, and this evil priest on the far right. He's the one Volourn is supposed to kill for the wizards guild. Let's deal with the spider first...

PS0184.jpg

Now let's kill this priest.

PS0185.jpg

After the fight we reach the gates of a new city !

And that's all for today. :wink:

PS0187.jpg

Special screenshot of the day : Vdweller won't get any news. Bethesda's NDA reaches far indeed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Helton said:
Someone should do a Let's Play Real Life and let us vote on most decisions. I would but I'm scared.

Someone did that on SA. It was scary.

Also, nice update. You better finish this game! Though I know it's pretty long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom