Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play: The Bioware Social Network.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Haha, trolls trolling trolls. It seems that at least half of the posters on that thread were Codexers!

Secretninja

Cipher
Racofer just needs to act really butthurt about all the trolls getting his thread off topic. If he calls them out, he might be able to reestablish credibility.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Volourn said:
The difference is that Malak wasn't forced on you as a party member. He was the main villain, and that was that. With kreia, she was part of your party, and you basicvally controlled her throughout, and despite that it was obvious she was not on your side. You shouldn't have been forced to have her in your party.
Yes, because seeing things from the point of view of a villain, and actually having her in your group, is so boring and does nothing for the story or the mechanics of it. I may have to reach for my special "Volourn smacking bat" if this keeps up.

No, she didn't try to educate anyone except 'force is evil, must be destroyed' bullshit.
In the ways of literary studies we learn to read between the lines, and analyze the deeper meanings of things. Kreia is a teacher, a manipulative one but a teacher nonetheless, and even though the player character may not agree with her, she is constantly testing him or her. The player character may not know he's learning, but by responding and arguing with her, he learns where his values are, thus, in a way, actually removing the automechanic of "the chosen one". What is good? What is evil? Does the concept of good and evil even exist? What does it mean to be neutral? And what are the true consequences of your actions? Like that she bears a great likeness to many great philosophers.

"The Force isn't evil, but realisticly speaking it would cause more bad than good in the long run and is therefore useless. As shown in all six movies, by the way."

She is dumb.
Ah yes, a fantastic response.

I'd tell you to go back to school and get some knowledge, but I'm afraid I don't really want to see you anywhere near an intellectual capacity. Just dig a hole and put yourself in it or something. Maybe you'll grow.

"How do you feel about, say, Irenicus, the much praised villain of Baldur's Gate 2? Does he have depth? Depending on your answer, I'm ready to smack you one."

Is that the best you got? A cowardly threat of violence that you don't have the ballz to follow through on Mr. Interent Tough Guy?

I'll say this about Irenicus - he's better than both Malak and Kreia put together. Period.
I can assure you that I have plenty of "ballz" when it comes to hit people in the face. If you're lucky you might find out one day. But all these crazy hijinks aside, no, that's not the best I got. The best I got is actually a peniz. Wow, what a peniz. I can make it stand right up. I can even spell it with an s. Penis. Whoa, penis. SSSSSSSS

About Irenicus, I would seriously rank him lower than Malak on the villain-o-meter. His motivations are laughable, to put it simple. He was an evil elf who got himself banished because he was an evil elf and this is why he captures the bhaalspawn in an attempt to lay his hands on a great power that can help him seek revenge on the people that banished him because he was evil. That, my friend, is not a very interesting villain. I've played Final Fantasies that had better motivations than that. Revenge is a very old theme, and I'm afraid that you're just gonna have to do a lot better than "YOU DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY WITH ME BECAUSE I WAS EVIL SO NOW I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!!" if you want to be taken seriously. Because video games are serious business. We all know that, right?

But with a character like Kreia, the fact that she works so well as a villain is the very fact that you're travelling with her and you learn what she has to say about this world. She makes arguments that, while you may not agree with them, makes sense and is backed up with facts. Surely this intellectual villain of subtlety (remember that the player character doesn't know she's going to be the final boss) beats Jon Emonicus and Darth Insert completely out of place evil laugh track here? I like to think so. I really, really do.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Wait, the troll thread hasn't been locked yet? Surprising, what with it being the Bioware boards. Did they finally fire that nazi Chris Priestly and get some incline in there or something?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"makes sense and is backed up with facts."

No. This is bullshit.

"(remember that the player character doesn't know she's going to be the final boss)"

Yes, they do. Unless the PC is absolutely retarded.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Hey! His name is :evil: :evil: CHRIS PRIESTLY :evil: :evil:
Shove the man into a can of respect, goddammit.

Also: why would you want to troll Bioware's forums in the first place? It just seems so pointless. It's like getting kicked in the face and kissing someone's shoes at the same time.

Also2: Volourn, you and I are now mortal enemies!!!! Prepare yourself!!!!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Someone should link to this thread over there. That would stir up a serious hornet's nest, probably bring out some REAL fanboy-anger.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Secretninja said:
Racofer just needs to act really butthurt about all the trolls getting his thread off topic. If he calls them out, he might be able to reestablish credibility.

I've already done that a few posts ago, no success.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Grunker said:
Someone should link to this thread over there. That would stir up a serious hornet's nest, probably bring out some REAL fanboy-anger.

Already linked, but nobody cared.

I'm telling you guys, those biowaring are either lobotomized or high on drugs, I've never seem that much apathy on a developer board anywhere else.

Vibalist

Arcane
Grunker said:

It's been done already, but it's like they didn't even get it when that happened.

That and the fact that many of them continued to treat the thread like a serious discussion after every codexer showed up says more than words can.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Really? Damn. Maybe you should start a topic dedicated to it. Would probably get you banned though.

If this keeps up and people get more subtle with their trolling, I'm inclined to name it best LP since EmoVamp did that LP where he died to some random shitmob during the first twenty seconds of the game.

racofer

Thread Incliner
20p7vvc.png

Seems like rabid fanboyism is spreading like a cancer.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Andyman Messiah said:
Volourn said:
The difference is that Malak wasn't forced on you as a party member. He was the main villain, and that was that. With kreia, she was part of your party, and you basicvally controlled her throughout, and despite that it was obvious she was not on your side. You shouldn't have been forced to have her in your party.
Yes, because seeing things from the point of view of a villain, and actually having her in your group, is so boring and does nothing for the story or the mechanics of it. I may have to reach for my special "Volourn smacking bat" if this keeps up.

No, she didn't try to educate anyone except 'force is evil, must be destroyed' bullshit.
In the ways of literary studies we learn to read between the lines, and analyze the deeper meanings of things. Kreia is a teacher, a manipulative one but a teacher nonetheless, and even though the player character may not agree with her, she is constantly testing him or her. The player character may not know he's learning, but by responding and arguing with her, he learns where his values are, thus, in a way, actually removing the automechanic of "the chosen one". What is good? What is evil? Does the concept of good and evil even exist? What does it mean to be neutral? And what are the true consequences of your actions? Like that she bears a great likeness to many great philosophers.

"The Force isn't evil, but realisticly speaking it would cause more bad than good in the long run and is therefore useless. As shown in all six movies, by the way."

She is dumb.

I'd tell you to go back to school and get some knowledge, but I'm afraid I don't really want to see you anywhere near an intellectual capacity. Just dig a hole and put yourself in it or something. Maybe you'll grow.

"How do you feel about, say, Irenicus, the much praised villain of Baldur's Gate 2? Does he have depth? Depending on your answer, I'm ready to smack you one."

Is that the best you got? A cowardly threat of violence that you don't have the ballz to follow through on Mr. Interent Tough Guy?

I'll say this about Irenicus - he's better than both Malak and Kreia put together. Period.
I can assure you that I have plenty of "ballz" when it comes to hit people in the face. If you're lucky you might find out one day. But all these crazy hijinks aside, no, that's not the best I got. The best I got is actually a peniz. Wow, what a peniz. I can make it stand right up. I can even spell it with an s. Penis. Whoa, penis. SSSSSSSS

About Irenicus, I would seriously rank him lower than Malak on the villain-o-meter. His motivations are laughable, to put it simple. He was an evil elf who got himself banished because he was an evil elf and this is why he captures the bhaalspawn in an attempt to lay his hands on a great power that can help him seek revenge on the people that banished him because he was evil. That, my friend, is not a very interesting villain. I've played Final Fantasies that had better motivations than that. Revenge is a very old theme, and I'm afraid that you're just gonna have to do a lot better than "YOU DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY WITH ME BECAUSE I WAS EVIL SO NOW I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!!" if you want to be taken seriously. Because video games are serious business. We all know that, right?

But with a character like Kreia, the fact that she works so well as a villain is the very fact that you're travelling with her and you learn what she has to say about this world. She makes arguments that, while you may not agree with them, makes sense and is backed up with facts. Surely this intellectual villain of subtlety (remember that the player character doesn't know she's going to be the final boss) beats Jon Emonicus and Darth Insert completely out of place evil laugh track here? I like to think so. I really, really do.

Wtf are you doing man? Do you actually enjoy shooting yourself in the foot?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Serious_Business said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Volourn said:

She is dumb.

Wtf are you doing man? Do you actually enjoy shooting yourself in the foot?
I don't have feet, I get around using my spectacular twinheaded cock.

sheek

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
Volourn said:
Kreia is a very black and white villain. She has no depth. Seriosuly, where is the depth? Force is evil and must be destroyed? That's as baclk and white as it gets. Very shallow, one sided, and no moral qualms whatsoever. And, obvious. So, very, very obvious.
Of course it's obvious. Kreia was a character that I figured out almost as soon as I met her, much like I figured out that Malak was an obvious standard Bioware villain with extra dip. But a story doesn't need surprises at every turn to be good. What counts is how it is executed and whereas Malak, and honestly every other Bioware villain, wasn't worthy of lifting an eyebrow, Kreia was a good foil for the player character in that she seeks to educate and test him or her. The Force isn't evil, but realisticly speaking it would cause more bad than good in the long run and is therefore useless. As shown in all six movies, by the way.

How do you feel about, say, Irenicus, the much praised villain of Baldur's Gate 2? Does he have depth? Depending on your answer, I'm ready to smack you one.
And all 100% pointless because all your 'deep' conversations with her have zero impact on the story. All you need her for is to unlock the extra powers and ability to convert new Jedi, and ignore everything she says. KOTOR 2 dialog was LARPing at it's purest.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Grunker said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It seemed that the Codex... ended up trolling itself...

That's the inevitable result when anyone on the Codex does anything.
Another day in the office.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom