Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play: The Bioware Social Network.

racofer

Thread Incliner
So I'm bored to death and I've decided: what?

30aymmo.jpg

Let us have some fun. The idea in here is: I'm your sexual slave Codex, so oder me and I shall obey. If your request is too stulpild or it any way break the lulz I will ignore it.

My initial plan is to post some nonsense that will undoubtedly put my sanity in check and cause confusion, however this will require some cooperation. Firstly, one of the things that causes the highest levels of butthurt is posting spoilers where they're not supposed to, and for this I need to know details about their latest child: DA.

So let us begin Codexia. Guide me to glory!

lightbane

Arcane
You don't need that, just post things that contradict the "sacred lore" of Biowhore, such as: "What do you think about Kreia's implications that the Force was evil and was manipulating events behind scenes? You know, from KOTOR 2, that awesome game that introduced an actual background and personality for Revan."

Things to mention:

Loghain as a companion
Morrigan's baby
Foursomes
Becoming King (or Queen)
A long, drawn out final battle that is woefully pathetic.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Alright, so I began with an interesting topic for them to Discuss!!

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/600842

I'm torn between who could come up with the best possible villain for an upcoming expansion for DA, which I love and consider the best game in a long time, with plentiful choices and a linear path which doesn't let us skip off track and miss the fun. On one side we got Bioware, whom developed classic villains like Revan. However it should not be forgotten that Revan only became ever so amazing after Obsidian stepped in and presented us with another side of the story. With KotOR2, we learned more about the gray sides of the force and how this could influence his/her decisions which ultimately led to his fall to the dark side. Thanks to memorable characters like Kreia, we've learned that the main antagonist doesn't necessarily needs to be known from the beginning, and could actually walk right next to you the whole time instructing your steps towards his/her goals without your knowledge. "But I've always known Kreia was evil!", I hear someone say. This was somewhat obvious to the more cunning RPG player which is used to greater plot diversity present of quality RPG studios, something which is lacking in Bioware games and lately has been less stimulated on its fans.

However, Bioware is known to develop consistent villains in its games, as we've seen similarly on BG1/BG2/NWN/KotOR/JE/ME/DA where they've shared similarities, among other plot elements, in a "biowarian" way as we're used to see. But with Obsidian we've seen the not so obvious black-and-white way of doing things, which have shown the more intricate personal dilemmas and reasoning that led such a character to its present situation. Obsidian constantly showed us that gray used for bringing up questions, and we have seen ourselves asking what could possibly change the nature of man? With Bioware however, we have the either absolutely evil or paladin-oh-pure-of-heart personalities which rarely allow us to ask such questions. Not once have I seen that in a Bioware game, not that I'm complaining, no, Bioware games are good for what they are and I'm a fan at heart, don't get me wrong, but Obsidian showed us another part of the story we haven't seen before.

So who do you think is more capable of delivering quality content for the future? Which is better and why?

Discuss!!

What will happen to AndhairaX? Will he survive the rabid fanboyism that exists in that foul place?

Vibalist

Arcane
Your trolling is maybe a bit too obvious? Also, don't expect the Biowarians to get their panties in a bunch over this, they most likely will just ignore it and move on.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Too obvious for us, not them. It may take a day before reaching a climax point over there, but lets see how far it goes.

Vibalist

Arcane
That is no contest. Although unlike others I think that BioWare didn't perform at their best with DA, it's obvious that they're the best at character development and presentation. And I really don't think KotoR 2 added much positive to the saga. The game wasn't only unfinished, the characters also often didn't make sense and there were big holes in their development. It also didn't add anything to Revan's character which wasn't already outlined by BioWare. Obsidian did okay with NWN 2, and very well with MotB, only to fail completely with SoZ. Let's keep DA in BioWare's hands, is the best recipe.

Apeart from, I find it tiresome that some people are always going on about how great "grey" is. I like my games as it were, with evil villains and my PC saving the world (or destroying it if desired, though I don't care for that). Much more interesting and captivating, I think.

Here they come :D

racofer

Thread Incliner
1r2qdi.png

And so it began.

wchf9k.png

Quite an interesting commentary from someone that plays Bioware games.

1zx1vep.png

The moral dilemmas, how excruciating must it have been for this poor soul.

ipms03.png

I wasn't aware we had operatives deployed over there. That NicklasBertelsen guy is obviously from here.

2gv66ja.png

1zg5h78.png

2gucl1z.png

Look at this, straight from the Bioware forums: Anakin had morale dilemmas.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Ugh, I'm almost regretting starting this, it's like everyone over there is too afraid to say anything fearing the Biostapo or they're brain damaged beyond hope. Let's see how this plays out.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I remember Bio forums used to be much better but it feels like the player base changing. Its kind of amusing to see people say that DA has amazing writing and stuff like that. Is the one who could not play PST because TNO was a male still active?

Secretninja

Cipher
it its like fo1 against fo3 in fo1 the mayster just wants to kill humans in fo3 u have a naunced vbillain in president eden who basically just wants wahats best for everyone even if it means killing many ppl. shades og grey instead of just boring old villains going muahahaha.
It appears someone is trolling you racofer.

Junior Boy

Educated
This is a fantastic premise, racofer. Don't forget to ask about the Return to Ostagar DLC delay - post a thread asking about it or something.

Or ask how to get your guy unencumbered.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Kreia is a very black and white villain. She has no depth. Seriosuly, where is the depth? Force is evil and must be destroyed? That's as baclk and white as it gets. Very shallow, one sided, and no moral qualms whatsoever. And, obvious. So, very, very obvious.

Annonchinil

Scholar
There is nothing wrong with black and white expect in how it is portrayed. I think presenting a world that is completly morally grey is just as immature, the world for that is either emo or goth. I like to use LotR as an example because its not just about destroying the ring. A lot of other stuff, like Golum destorying the ring, are netiher black/white or grey. A black/white version of that scene with Frodo destorying it would be boring or Sam killing Frodo grey version would not have the same impact and tie into the themes of the story.

I think a lot of fantasy authors just took the wrong thing from LotR. Like how elves are dying but never in their books do they actually do so. Similarly I don't think the elves dying but being terrorist is an any better solution. Grey morality always just takes a two side ditchomy with black and white imbeded into it. This never goes beyond the south park flag changing debate rethoric. Its not that there is anything wrong with it but its a poor way of presenting it.

When I was thinking of Malak I though he was just boring and their was nothing to the character. Kreia had interesting ideas and a personality. The interaction with her is great also, there is a part in the game where you can find a characters real name and then scheme with her about what to do with it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Volourn said:
Kreia is a very black and white villain. She has no depth. Seriosuly, where is the depth? Force is evil and must be destroyed? That's as baclk and white as it gets. Very shallow, one sided, and no moral qualms whatsoever. And, obvious. So, very, very obvious.
Of course it's obvious. Kreia was a character that I figured out almost as soon as I met her, much like I figured out that Malak was an obvious standard Bioware villain with extra dip. But a story doesn't need surprises at every turn to be good. What counts is how it is executed and whereas Malak, and honestly every other Bioware villain, wasn't worthy of lifting an eyebrow, Kreia was a good foil for the player character in that she seeks to educate and test him or her. The Force isn't evil, but realisticly speaking it would cause more bad than good in the long run and is therefore useless. As shown in all six movies, by the way.

How do you feel about, say, Irenicus, the much praised villain of Baldur's Gate 2? Does he have depth? Depending on your answer, I'm ready to smack you one.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Oh god the experiment spilled out of the petri dish. Aaaaaaugh

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Secretninja said:
it its like fo1 against fo3 in fo1 the mayster just wants to kill humans in fo3 u have a naunced vbillain in president eden who basically just wants wahats best for everyone even if it means killing many ppl. shades og grey instead of just boring old villains going muahahaha.

Yeah, that guy is either trolling or he is completely off the mark.

Probably trolling, though. Excellent bit about the fo3 villain. :)

Vibalist

Arcane
Volourn said:

No need to paraphrase, Volourn. Someone else already said it much more eloquently:

i tought dark malak was a much better villian then kreia tbh malak had more nuances and hd proper motivation for doing what he did where kreia was pretty much just muahahaha evil if you know what i mean.

this is the case wth all bioware games they are ususally grey matuyre nuanced interesting where obsididan gams usually are very predicteble adn black/white

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Vibalist said:
Volourn said:

No need to paraphrase, Volourn. Someone else already said it much more eloquently:

i tought dark malak was a much better villian then kreia tbh malak had more nuances and hd proper motivation for doing what he did where kreia was pretty much just muahahaha evil if you know what i mean.

this is the case wth all bioware games they are ususally grey matuyre nuanced interesting where obsididan gams usually are very predicteble adn black/white

Jesus fucking christ. I thought you were making this up David Gaider, but I saw the thread and someone actually posted this. Well, he must be 13 years old I guess, so I'm going to try to bottle up the rage. Still, tell me Gaider, how does it feel to be making game for children, but played by adults? There's something very wrong about this.

Edit : No fucking way, this is just a codexer posting, you almost had me there

Vibalist

Arcane
Jesus fucking christ. I thought you were making this up David Gaider, but I saw the thread and someone actually posted this. Well, he must be 13 years old I guess, so I'm going to try to bottle up the rage. Still, tell me Gaider, how does it feel to be making game for children, but played by adults? There's something very wrong about this.

It feels good to make $$$. How does it feel to be you?

Also:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/586490

:shock:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Secretninja said:

I hope that's the case. I couldn't imagine someone being like that and staying alive.

Anyway, I'm currently looking for something easier to begin throw the fanboys against each other. In TESF a thread like that would've sparked an exploshun, but biowhores are too high on pot to be any responsive.

Vibalist

Arcane
racofer said:
Secretninja said:

I hope that's the case. I couldn't imagine someone being like that and staying alive.

Anyway, I'm currently looking for something easier to begin throw the fanboys against each other. In TESF a thread like that would've sparked an exploshun, but biowhores are too high on pot to be any responsive.

I think you should just be more vocal about your support of Obsidian and make it abundantly clear that Bioware writers are hacks. Not that you should do this in a way that's offensive in a totally obious way, but you need to make the point crystal clear so that they get too enraged to just say "well thats just your opinion, moving on".

EDIT: Also, presenting your opinion as fact (never saying "I think that..." or "in my opinion" or anything to that effect) will surely piss some of them off. At least I get enraged everytime one of the biowarians do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom