Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Lets Play: Shining in the Darkness

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I was watching the Big Lebowski. Can't spend my life on the Codex.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Played further again. Or tried to anyways. Game is getting fucking hard now, beyond just having to pay some attention and not be a retard.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Haha, but that's when they're more fun to read, when the LPer is constantly getting his ass kicked.

Damned Registrations

Update time!

SitDr0001.png

We sell off that Worn Robe we found.
SitDr0002.png

I'm sure anyone would be honored to own such a priceless artifact. :roll:
SitDr0003.png

Time to fix up our busted sword.
SitDr0004.png

Well it wasn't hard. Theres like 6 buildings in the whole town, and thats if you include this tent as a 'building'.
SitDr0005.png

Obvious answer is obvious.
SitDr0006.png

Which would have sucked. A lot.
SitDr0007.png

Kinda pricey, but on the other hand, we have nothing else like it so...
SitDr0008.png

Well, luckily we can just spend the night. If we had to gain a level or something while our sword was in the shop that'd be a nightmare.
SitDr0009.png

So, now we know what our sword is supposedly worth, and that repairs cost 1/4 of an items value. Cool.
SitDr0010.png

It turns out, using mithril to make a shield is WAY cheaper than our previous 2 requests. Go figure.
SitDr0011.png

Ta-Da!
SitDr0012.png

Codex needs 20 armor a lot more than 15 attack power.
SitDr0013.png

Cool, we could make one for Pyra if we had enough ore.
SitDr0014.png

:troll:
SitDr0015.png

Finally remembered to cast it here. Though now we can apparently pull off the spell on the next floor anyways, for a while at any rate.
SitDr0016.png

Of course, these guys show up anyways, and pull cheesy shit like blocking multiple attacks in a row.
SitDr0017.png

We abuse our own cheesy tricks.
SitDr0018.png

Stupid spinner wasting my Peace spell with extra movements.
SitDr0019.png

:smug:
SitDr0020.png

Well, there goes the end of easy street.
SitDr0021.png

New shield is doing it's job well though, we don't need nearly as much healing for normal fights now.
SitDr0022.png

Though stuff like this I still need to burn mana on.
SitDr0023.png

Sweet!
SitDr0024.png

Huh, it's weaker than the whip. The active probably makes it worthwhile though.
SitDr0025.png

Brilliant deduction Milo!
SitDr0026.png

Awww. Oh well, it's still like a free spell battery for some awesome burning action right? And we could definitely use a spell battery right now.
SitDr0027.png

Cool.
SitDr0029.png

It's only 8 MP and still targets a single group.
SitDr0030.png

Thats... pretty lame. Blaze 3 does much more for the same price.
SitDr0031.png

Argh. We don't have the MP to be using boost and shit. I want to look at that wall though, the gap here is strange.
SitDr0032.png

Man dat armor is frigging awesome.
SitDr0033.png

Oops. Jinxed us.
SitDr0034.png

Lets try fighting this fucker. He can't be that tough right?
SitDr0035.png

!
SitDr0036.png

Wow, he hits harder than us. Pretty much immune to slow too.
SitDr0037.png

And he's faster than Milo.
SitDr0038.png

Double turn is not good.
SitDr0039.png

So, there went not only the guy with the rez spell, but also the guy with most of our remaining MP.
SitDr0040.png

Though, Pyra can actually tank this shit, scarily enough.
SitDr0041.png

I decide to try pressing onwards anyways, I want to get at least a step further than last time.
SitDr0042.png

Argh fuck off already.
SitDr0043.png

Wait, that isn't blaze 3...
SitDr0044.png

That's just blaze 2. We got fucking screwed!
I follow this up with the firesword to clear them out.
SitDr0045.png

Even the armor upgrade isn't going to let us shrug this crap off.
SitDr0046.png

Well, at least I got a look at the fork paths this time.
SitDr0047.png

Next time I know to just go right.
SitDr0048.png

Firestaff is only worth this little. I sell the piece of crap. I think the designers swapped the location of the sword and staff by accident.
SitDr0049.png

He checks out the curse after we bring Milo back.
SitDr0050.png

Incoming jewbill.
SitDr0051.png

Wow, really? Cause we could afford like, 1000 times that.
SitDr0052.png

Looks like this wouldn't be useful for Codex after all, it cuts attack power by 50%, not some flat amount.
SitDr0053.png

Lets try this thing out. It's priceier than the cost of the mithril shield + it's ore, so it must be better right?
SitDr0054.png

5 points weaker. :decline: I guess thats fair, since the mithril items are of limited supply.
SitDr0055.png

Doesn't even have troll power. I give it to Milo. I figure the attack power/armor trade is still worth it.
SitDr0056.png

Wow, we actually won another of these from some mummies. What a lame prize.
SitDr0057.png

This spell is way too ineffective to rely on. 1 out of 4... bah.
SitDr0058.png

Hah! We got to the next floor this time, and nobody is dead or out of MP yet! Milo is attacked for being an infidel by one of Andhaira's friends.
SitDr0059.png

Oh cool, our first level 4 spell. I wonder if this one finally heals the whole party.
SitDr0060.png

:retarded:

Wow. I hope we never get injured to the point where casting THAT is a good idea.
SitDr0061.png

I attempt purging protocols on the new reaper types-
SitDr0062.png

But they're too strong and fast to stop. Luckily the spell failed.
SitDr0063.png

Nice reward for just 2 enemies though.
SitDr0064.png

Another mundane water basin. There's a lot of these.
SitDr0065.png

Unlike the last reapers, these guys melee attack really hard when they don't cast shit.
SitDr0066.png

Yeah we're pretty much sucked dry now. Time to bail.
SitDr0067.png

At this point I realize I forgot to get a feather. Oops.
SitDr0068.png

There's no way we'll make it back (in retrospect, I *might* have made it out if I used the map to jump down the right pit for enough of a shortcut) so we're going to be losing a lot of gold for this misadventure.
SitDr0069.png

I explore as far as I can, though I can't map it properly since Pyra has no MP left for the view spell I use to doublecheck things.
SitDr0070.png

:rage:
SitDr0071.png

Oh-ho?
SitDr0072.png

Hell yes. This is one item I remember the purpose of. It is definitely worth picking up.
SitDr0073.png

Same description as herb water for the first half. /facepalm
SitDr0074.png

:yeah:
SitDr0075.png

:x

Still, once is better than nothing. Besides, I think more of these can show up later on, like the Magic Hood we got an extra copy of.
SitDr0076.png

Technically the area at the start of floor 2 would be ideal for grinding xp/gold. Those mushrooms cough up a lot when they multiply. But that'd be boring to play and play past.
SitDr0077.png

We have a wrecking ball too :smug:
SitDr0078.png

Flail + boost is so awesome.
SitDr0079.png

SitDr0080.png

This fucker was so damned annoying last time, I approached the pit in the hall backwards and turned around underneath it to prevent the encounter. So he showed up here instead, where he never did before. Asshole.
SitDr0081.png

I have no idea what this message indicates. They aren't defending, and don't seem to do bonus damage or counter attack or anything.
SitDr0082.png

Another 18 MP down the drain to deal with this shit before they can hit us.
SitDr0083.png

Really? You're a bit out of your league here buddy.
SitDr0084.png

More MP burnt on nukes. Almost all the encounters up here warrant it.
SitDr0085.png

And now not only do we need nukes, we need this one in particular because they're in 3 different groups, 2 of them are new, and Pyra is running dry.
SitDr0086.png

Of course it doesn't kill any of them.
SitDr0087.png

This guy hits like a truck and has way too many HP. Burst + Codex didn't knock him down.
SitDr0088.png

These guys are tanky as fuck too and still hit pretty hard.
SitDr0089.png

This manages to finish off non avian enemies.
SitDr0090.png

At least they aren't spewing acid at us or anything.
SitDr0091.png

Man those are big rewards. But the MP cost did not make it worthwhile.
SitDr0092.png

I had to use the firesword here along with Milo's nuke to take the group out quickly, since Pyra was completely empty. Way less damage on these guys, but was enoguh to finish them off.
SitDr0093.png

Well fuck. We can't really dick with that right now.
SitDr0094.png

SitDr0095.png

Once again I push us stupidly far because I'm sure a chest is just around the corner. But all we find are more new enemies. Probably stairs around the corner again.
SitDr0096.png

At least this is the old ice breath.
SitDr0097.png

Still hurts way too much.
SitDr0098.png

Time to go.
SitDr0099.png

I decide I want Pyra to be able to hit things after all, even if it's not much.
SitDr0100.png

Dark Shield gets sold for a small fortune.
SitDr0101.png

Magic Mail is bought to make up the armor gap.
SitDr0102.png

Very healthy upgrade.
SitDr0103.png

I swipe the Magic Shield off milo too, and we're actually pretty close to what we had before. We buy another Madu and Milo goes back to being more on the bruiser side. Hopefully this'll be more MP efficient in the long run, because our previous setup wasn't working all that well.

Floor 2 map is done!
Lab2f.png

Floor 3 map is not even close to done!
Lab3a.png

Damned Registrations

This is the part of the game where the standard combat becomes really interesting, because on most groups I encounter I really am hemming and hawing over whether to burn MP on them or risk taking their special attacks, and which spells to use. The difference between wiping out an enemy for 8 MP with a single Desoul, vs wasting 16 MP on two that miss, + another 15 for healing, or just 5 on heals + 9 for boost, makes a huge difference in how far you get on a trip. I probably worry more about what I'm casting+ equipping here than I did in KotC.

Damned Registrations

Update time!

SDs0001.png

Well that's a shitty way to start things off. Well ok, technically things started off by me spamming peace over and over and skipping a ton of fights.
SDs0002.png

Luckily I brought healing items to save us a bit of MP this time.
SDs0003.png

Peace works even up here now. Even though all the cost is on Pyra, it's still a ebtter deal overall, especially since it's usually her spamming nukes to keep us alive in the first place. So we can explore a lot further with better health and MP this way. The tradeoff, of course, is we aren't getting any loot.
SDs0004.png

Peace finally fails when we hit the torch area of floor 3. Well, we still got over 50 MP and Milo has a ton left.
SDs0005.png

Plus most of the enemies up here don't pose major threats like desoul spells or paralyze or anything, so we can afford to slug it out and let Milo do all the healing. Especially since Pyra is whipping ass again.
SDs0006.png

XP and Gold rewards keep diverging further and further.
SDs0007.png

Of course, I fail to recall that these things resist blast, giving them a free round to rape us hard.
SDs0008.png

Assholes.
SDs0009.png

New enemy. Not too special though.
SDs0010.png

Hits hard, but thats about it.
SDs0011.png

The unexplored path I took meets up with where we were before, which is nice. Less nice is the fact that that whole chunk could have been skipped by walking through 5 moss tiles, which would have cost us way less MP.
SDs0012.png

Turns out these guys can cry for help. Could probably abuse this for grinding but... meh.
SDs0013.png

Whip + Blast 3 still coming in handy even this deep.
SDs0014.png

Not letting you off easy this time... whatever you are.
SDs0015.png

Shock!
SDs0016.png

Boss fight time!
SDs0017.png

Pyra has shit for MP so we're going to rely on the melee damage here.
SDs0018.png

Quick should help us out too, not just for defense but turn order.
SDs0019.png

Ok, JUST for turn order. Stupid giant turtle thing.
SDs0020.png

Wahaha!
SDs0021.png

SDs0022.png

Thats not terribly promising.
SDs0023.png

Run away! RUN AWAY!
SDs0024.png

Or, fall back on this. We'd probably die trying to heal more fficiently, we need Milo to be swinging as much as possible if we're going to win this. So we're betting it all on this spell.
SDs0025.png

Slow should help too.
SDs0026.png

Oh yeah, thats the stuff. Level 20 DnD cleric eat your heart out.
SDs0027.png

Could use some crits right about now.
SDs0028.png

You'd think he'd need to take a break once in a while.
SDs0029.png

Even Pyra is swinging.
SDs0030.png

Now thats how to melee shit.
SDs0031.png

SDs0032.png

Well, now we're kind of low on options. We use the last of our stashed healing items and let Pyra heal us a bit.
SDs0033.png

These guys hit really hard, but I don't want to use all of Pyra's MP... FIRESWORD time!
SDs0034.png

Wat.

My sword is gone.

But we didn't send it in for repairs either. And we had 4 healer fruits back in town along with this stuff, so it's been like this since we saved.

SDs0035.png

Blaze time it is!
SDs0036.png

Damn man that really blows. I must have missed the message that it got warped by the heat AND the message that it broke when playing last time, on top of just not noticing the inventory difference the whole time. ARGH.
SDs0037.png

Well, fuck it, nothing to do about it now. Onwards, pathetically weak cripples!
SDs0038.png

SDs0039.png

Not that it matters since we have no MP anyways, but I don't get the point of spots like this. I mean, is someone actually going to walk back there? I guess you could if you were anal about mapping or something...
SDs0040.png

Oh man. These things don't hit as hard as some of the other enemies, but they have both the ability to defend and the ability to shrug off attacks, making them take way too fucking long to kill. It is run the fuck away time. Though one nice thing about running away I didn't notice before: enemies don't all automatically get turns when you fail to run away. It's like the surprise round, where only some of them usually do.
SDs0041.png

This place just keeps going on and on and on...
SDs0042.png

Fuck it. Lets leave and come back less fucked.
SDs0043.png

Replacement weapon, the best we can afford right now.
SDs0044.png

Huh, I think thats actually more powerful than the firesword was. Of course, this thing can't cast spells.
SDs0045.png

MUCH better. God how did I not realize my attacks were too weak for me to have a weapon still?
SDs0046.png

Once again, peace gets us really fucking far.
SDs0047.png

I guess these guys have something going for them besides 100+ hp and hitting for massive damage. That spell landed on all of us btw. Maybe it depends on opposed IQ checks or something? I have no idea.
SDs0048.png

Die fuckers!
SDs0049.png

I try peace again after Pyra levels up. Success! We can skip even more fights now.
SDs0050.png

Though I decide I don't really care right now. These guys give lots of xp and mostly just melee us.
SDs0051.png

Hmmm, new guys. Well, new for us. They've obviously been around the block already.
SDs0052.png

Ah, I guess their thing is having obnoxiously high defense. Milo only lands ~17 damage hits.
SDs0053.png

Fucking knight crits WAY too hard.

SDs0055.png

Of course now peace won't work. :roll:
SDs0056.png

Fuck it. Lets use this fucker.
SDs0057.png

Ta-da!
SDs0058.png

Oh come on! Must be battle only.
SDs0059.png

Really, this deep?
SDs0060.png

Fuck it was way too hard to finish off the other guys so I could do this safely in case Milo cmes back with like 10 hp.
SDs0061.png

And I missed the revival message. Though it's the same as the spell.
SDs0063.png

Luckily they don't pop Milo like a zit.
SDs0064.png

SDs0065.png

And what is rope good for you might ask?
SDs0066.png

Yeah Milo, that's great.
SDs0067.png

Luckily, the guys designing the map knew the guy making the vision spell descriptions was a douche, and put a hole in the ceiling right fucking here, so if you try it right away-
SDs0068.png

SDs0069.png

THIS happens. Hell fucking yes.
SDs0070.png

Although right now I don't think we should be dicking around up here.
SDs0071.png

More lameness. But we got the rope already, so this trip was a success in my book, even if it did cost us that herb.
SDs0072.png

Fucker! You must have been the one that broke my knife FIRESWORD!
SDs0073.png

Time for some good ol' crab battlin'!
SDs0074.png

Take that, shittly named foe of gay colour!
SDs0075.png

Damn it hits hard for a gay crab.
SDs0076.png

Oh, thats what the level 2 ice breath desciption is. What, level 2 icebreath?
SDs0077.png

SDs0078.png

Though Pyra is oddly more resilient than the other two, for some reason.
SDs0079.png

Another one? But I still don't know what the first one does!
SDs0080.png

Hmmm, tough little buggers...
SDs0081.png

OHSHIT.
SDs0082.png

:lol:

Wow, thats awfully pathetic. One guy for 30 damage between the 3 of them. I'm quaking in my mithril boots here.
SDs0083.png

Did you here something?
SDs0084.png

This wall... JEWS ARE HIDING HERE!
SDs0085.png

Luckily we still lug this thing around.
SDs0086.png

Wait, is this really the same type of demon as on the first level, even though it's palette swapped for these walls?
SDs0087.png

Yes, yes it is.
SDs0088.png

That was easy. But what was behind it (besides jews.)
SDs0089.png

JEW LOOT! :yeah:
SDs0090.png

Hopefully this is better than the firestaff.
SDs0091.png

Well, damage is at least on par with the thornwhip. Though, we can just use it from inventory anyways.
SDs0092.png

Not enough MP left for boosting tactics this time.
SDs0093.png

Damn that is one effective spell.
SDs0094.png

Though without boost this is still going to take a toll on us.
SDs0095.png

Holy crap man.
SDs0096.png

We win though.
SDs0097.png

Ok fuck this shit.
SDs0098.png

Lets try this puppy out too.
SDs0099.png

Hah! at ice you-
SDs0100.png

in retrospect, using an ice staff on a monster attacking with freezing breath was not the best of plans.
SDs0101.png

This sure as fuck was though!
SDs0102.png

Heh. Though in the future, we will avoid these disgusting creatures whenever we can, by not walking past unnecessary left turns.
SDs0103.png

Huh, did I miss the screenshot of another door like this from the wrong side? Cause we found on of those earlier.
SDs0104.png

Fuck yeah!
Best damned helm in the game people, we just found it. :smug:
SDs0105.png

Thats right. Milo says that the legendary arms of light, for which the game itself is named and numerous in game sources alude to, is 'nothing special'. You know what I think? Milo is actually Dark Sol and he's just here to fuck us over. Thats why all these uber monsters keep showing up around us, but Dai got to the fucking cave of wisdom by himself even though he hits like a 4 year old girl.
SDs0106.png

BAM! We are now heavily armored and 25% more badass.
SDs0107.png

ITS FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S ONE LETTER AWAY FROM BEING 'BATTLE AXE' HAHA GUYS I THINK BLOBERT MADE UP ALL THE ENEMY NAMES.
SDs0108.png

ACTUALLY THERE IS NO LOWER CASE FONT FOR ANY CHARACTERS OR MONSTERS OR ITEMS OR SPELLS AT ALL. OR ANYTHING IN THE MENU. THESE GUYS KNEW HOW TO MAXIMIZE CRUISE CONTROL BROS.
SDs0109.png

We're about fucked and ready to leave, but this hole was so far off the eaten path I wanted to see what was up here in case it was a treasure.
SDs0110.png

Thats odd (and awesome) it's just another pit right over here.
SDs0111.png

Must lead to the chainsaw.
SDs0112.png

Out of MP yes. Of of ass kicking death magic? No.
SDs0113.png

That is definitely level 3 freeze. Very handy.
SDs0114.png

New enemy has a new ability.
SDs0115.png

A MEAN new ability.
SDs0116.png

Thats a lot of dead guys. Where do all these ghosts and zombies and shit come from? How many people did they send in here holy fuck. I think this place was built on top of an indian jewish burial ground (indians don't have loot this good.)
SDs0117.png

Alas, the ice staff does not threash zombies very effectively.
SDs0118.png

But it does weaken them enough for Milo to mop them up.
SDs0119.png

And man, that is a lot of xp and gold.
SDs0120.png

Sweet.
SDs0121.png

Cool, new sprites.
SDs0122.png

Pity we can't try this out on them.
SDs0123.png

They're kinda tough too, though not as tough as the zombies.
SDs0124.png

But they hit REALLY hard.
SDs0125.png

Nice! Another spell we can't try yet.
SDs0126.png

These guys actually hit much harder when not using their special ability. Neat little reversal of a special advantage into a special drawback.
SDs0127.png

Gah, fuckers got Milo. Ah well, he was out of MP anyways.
SDs0128.png

Must get farther...
SDs0129.png

Just a bit more, theres barely any space left to explore and we'll have mapped this chunk of dungeon and we can go back, just around that corner...
SDs0130.png

Guess they don't want us going around that corner huh?
SDs0131.png

Maximum plan B in effect.
SDs0132.png

Blackbone does not approve of plan B.
SDs0133.png

Fuck he gets two attacks per round! And swings that hard!
SDs0134.png

ARGH.
SDs0135.png

That was kinda predictable.
SDs0136.png

That less so. Enemies take swings at dead guys sometimes I guess.
SDs0137.png

Oh come on!
SDs0138.png

Luckily Pyra's run command doubles as defense. We live!
SDs0139.png

Not that living helps us in this situation.
SDs0140.png

SDs0141.png

Well, our gold is fucked (again) and we lost the miracle herb, but we got some sweet new items and spells and can take a shortcut to get to level 3 now. Fucking sweet.

New level 3 map (I forgot to put an unknown marker near where we died, it's in the bottom center of the map, you can probably figure it out from the screenshots):
Lab3b.png

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, Fire Sword breaks (= melts) after a certain number of uses. You just shouldn't overuse it. :P

(Just wait until you find a
Storm Sword
on level 3, and then another cool sword on level 4.)

Also, I saw a gay crab the other day. Horrible creatures.

Damned Registrations

We repaired it though so it should have been recharged. But yeah, there'll be other artifact swords of doom to abuse in the future.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thats right. Milo says that the legendary arms of light, for which the game itself is named and numerous in game sources alude to, is 'nothing special'.

Milo is an absolute pro troll.

Also man, losing that sword randomly kind of sucks. Especially since you lost a lot of money between two deaths.

Also, two questions:
1. So when you get a higher level spell, you can't cast the lower level anymore?

2. Isn't spamming peace kind of ineffective on the long term, since you're falling behind in level to the areas? Or does it scale?

spekkio

Arcane
Boy, you certainly update a lot...

:roll:

Pyra/Mom action was top-notch, though.

Damned Registrations

We can still cast the lower level spells. If we couldn't, we'd be pretty fucked after learning HEAL 4 :lol:

Spamming peace means we fall behind in levels, but it also means we get to chests sooner. Sometimes chests are more important than levels, and with new items we can take on new enemies worth much more xp. We're still only gaining ~3 defense per level up, so a new piece of armor (like that helm) is equivalent to many levels gained for defense.

Next update might take a while. I'm.... kinda stuck.

spekkio

Arcane
I have to add that I find your commentary more amusing than the game itself.

Not sure if

:incline:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have to add that I find your commentary more amusing than the game itself.

Not sure if

:incline:

spekkio cannot into dungeon crawling RPGs*

why am I not surprised? :roll:

*dungeon crawling = RPGs

P.S. But the commentary is really good, yeah.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Fun fact: I just saw that the Japanese release of this game is called Shining and the Darkness.

lightbane

Arcane
Pyra's mom is scary :lol: . Why isn't she saving the kingdom instead of us? Also, moar!!

Damned Registrations

Update time!

SDt0001.png

Lets test this shit out.
SDt0002.png

Oh cool, they turn into little bird things just before they leave the screen.
SDt0003.png

92 damage? Yeah that seems passably useful. Maybe.
SDt0004.png

Blaze isn't quite as strong, but unlike Blast 4, Blaze 4 hits everything, not just one group.
SDt0005.png

Wait, why the fuck are we in the Cave of Strength?
SDt0006.png

Because there was a pit we enver got past.
SDt0007.png

And it had shit hidden behind it. Win!
SDt0008.png

Wow, that is eerily convenient. We probably couldn't afford that if I hadn't fought shit on the way to the treasure. Though we could jsut sell shit I suppose.
SDt0009.png

Ta-da!
SDt0010.png

That's... not actually that impressive.
SDt0011.png

Why can't Codex wear a hood? Also, why doesn't this thing have that 'blessed with power' dealie the light robe and mithril shield had? :itisamystery:
SDt0012.png

Time for some more rope action!
SDt0013.png

Remember all those pointless landings on floor 2? Turns out they're not so pointless.
SDt0014.png

:smug:
SDt0015.png

Very nice. Not a huge damage boost, but it still hits twice, unlike other weapons.
SDt0016.png

Blast is fucking scary.
SDt0017.png

More secret shit courtesy of the magic rope.
SDt0018.png

SDt0019.png

Holy fuck dude. And I thought the fire sword was too useful.
SDt0020.png

Yeah, we won't be breaking this one.
SDt0021.png

Codex has so many HP now Heal 3 is actually becoming efficient.
SDt0022.png

You know, couldn't we just use this thing outside the labyrinth, to at least get to that walkway on the second floor and skip walking there?
SDt0023.png

Statue fightin' time!
SDt0024.png

Should have picked a hallway without a chest in it to guard dude.
SDt0025.png

Holy fuck, he means business.
SDt0026.png

And he means it twice per turn. This may not have been a good idea.
SDt0027.png

Thats our damage AFTER casting boost.
SDt0028.png

Yeah this does not bode well.
SDt0029.png

Maybe slow works on this fucker?
SDt0030.png

SDt0031.png

At least he wasted a turn attacking a dead guy.
SDt0032.png

Alas, this does not revive dead party members.
SDt0033.png

Neither does this. I have no idea what this does.
SDt0034.png

Desperation move is not successful.
SDt0035.png

Probably not going to cut it.
SDt0036.png

Yeah he's got at least a few hundred hp.
SDt0037.png

And Milo does not.
SDt0038.png

Last chance!
SDt0039.png

No dice. :rage:
SDt0040.png

Well, we're up some crazily strong equipment and down some more gold. I guess thats sort of a win, even if it's kind of a big waste of time.
SDt0041.png

Burn fuckers!
SDt0042.png

Chumps got nothing on us when we're willing to burn MP to handle them.
SDt0043.png

New plan: spell nuke the shit out of this asshole!
SDt0044.png

Burn!
SDt0045.png

Bleed!
SDt0046.png

Die!
SDt0047.png

Fry!
SDt0048.png

Thats... pretty lame. Bolt 2 only? The Firesword was Blaze 3.
SDt0049.png

More fire!
SDt0050.png

Well shit, Pyra got focused down.
SDt0051.png

Attacking does more damage than the bolt spell :(
SDt0052.png

Luckily, we have OP shit like revive :smug:
SDt0053.png

Fucker!
SDt0054.png

Holy shit.
SDt0055.png

And it's STILL not dead.
SDt0057.png

Well, someone is probably gonna die, but if we can do this a few more turns we can probably eek out a win-
SDt0058.png

Good, Milo has full hp.
SDt0059.png

!
SDt0060.png

Yeah... that was not the plan.
SDt0061.png

Next trip I give up on fighting that bullshit machine. And we find another staff!
SDt0062.png

Weird name and appearance.
SDt0063.png

Well no shit.
SDt0064.png

Really?
SDt0065.png

If it can't cast spells and it's stats are this bad, it's probably just a cursed piece of shit. Fuck it.
SDt0066.png

Peace won't work up here.
SDt0067.png

Though nukes sure do.
SDt0068.png

Quite well. Though these guys are also quite tough.
SDt0069.png

And hit really hard.
SDt0070.png

But man the xp reward.
SDt0071.png

Cool.
SDt0072.png

Nice, the map of floor 3 is filling out a bit more now.
SDt0073.png

Last one before we bail.
SDt0074.png

Bleh.
SDt0075.png

Thats a lot compared to what we used to need, but not much compared to battles forking over 5k.
SDt0076.png

Holy water is just for removing curses. Except it's also worth like, 8k or some shit. SOLD.
SDt0077.png

Selling this garbage too, since it doesn't seem to work.
SDt0078.png

And that enduro staff is nearly worthless. Definitely a cursed item then.
SDt0079.png

Icestaff is cheaper than I expected. Now we know it'll be cheap to repair, so using it freely isn't a problem.
SDt0080.png

Storm sword is quite valuable on the other hand.
SDt0081.png

As is that great flail. Obviously we aren't selling these things though. Just getting an idea of how valuable our loot is.
SDt0082.png

This we are selling!
SDt0083.png

Because it's time to make shit. Protip: if you want armor for Milo, make it for Codex. Just as Pyra can wear the robe made for Milo, Milo can wear the armor made for codex. And the armor is much stronger.
SDt0084.png

Wow, it's cheaper than the robe. Thats pretty :retarded:
SDt0085.png

BAM!
SDt0086.png

I think this is actually a slight downgrade from the magic mail. But it does have that 'blessed' crap, whatever that means. Hopefully it's status resistance or something, cause those are becoming ever more common.
SDt0087.png

Statue douchebag in profile. He won't fight until we face him.
SDt0088.png

New plan. Buff time.
SDt0089.png

Quick is mostly so Milo can heal people before they fall over dead.
SDt0090.png

Ow. We live on however.
SDt0091.png

And hit back HARD.
SDt0092.png

Pyra doesn't have much else to do, Milo is too busy healing to be worth boosting, and this thing seems immune to status spells.
SDt0093.png

Hehe.
SDt0094.png

Perfect.
SDt0095.png

Another wasted turn from the enemy.
SDt0096.png

All goes according to plan.
SDt0097.png

Well, not quite. He actually dealt precisely the amount of damage needed for a kill there.
SDt0098.png

But then he died. So who cares. Milo catches up in xp a bit.
SDt0099.png

ITEM GET.
SDt0100.png

What. Pyra can't equip it?
SDt0101.png

And it's weaker than the Mithril hood.
SDt0102.png

We shuffle the mithril hood to Pyra so Milo can equip the new item.
SDt0103.png

Milo reveals that Pyra is not an elf, apparently. I guess those pointy ears are just because she's a trekkie.
SDt0104.png

At least it has this bonus, whatever it does.
SDt0105.png

Love this thing.
SDt0106.png

See, shit like this is why I spam Peace. If these guys drain our MP even once thats more MP than Peace costs anyways.
SDt0107.png

I end up firing off Blaze 4 just to avoid us getting drained a whole bunch.
SDt0108.png

Pf course they're fire resistant. Cunts.
SDt0109.png

Kewl.
SDt0110.png

Seems like as good a chance as any to try it out.
SDt0111.png

Attacks the whole group, kills nobody. Fail.
SDt0112.png

turns out those griffin things use blast magic in addition to hitting really hard.
SDt0113.png

Actually, this is a lot gentler than it's melee attack.
SDt0114.png

Argh.
SDt0115.png

:troll:
SDt0116.png

Kinda tough, but not as much as the zombies were.
SDt0117.png

The other thing died before it got a turn.
SDt0118.png

Trolls hit decently hard too. Still, Milo has a ton of MP now, so damage this small isn't important.
SDt0119.png

KFC* (Kodexian Frozen Cocks)
SDt0121.png

New wizard types. Annoyingly hard to kill.
SDt0122.png

Especially since they heal.
SDt0123.png

And call for help in the same round!
SDt0124.png

Although they just call in crappy zombies, not more Necromancers.
SDt0125.png

Better this than some fucking Desoul spells or evil shit like that.
SDt0126.png

Zombies have lots of hp and decent defense.
SDt0127.png

Also hit really hard and cause poison.
SDt0128.png

Lots of XP to be had from these fights though.
SDt0129.png

Ah, one of these fuckers finally got a turn. Hits for less than I expected...
SDt0130.png

But then it attacks a second time! Guess this is going to be a popular new enemy trait.
SDt0131.png

Still gets popped like a zit though.
SDt0132.png

Here we are again. Of course, we could turn around and try to sneak by the skeleton thing here.
SDt0133.png

But that'd be fucking lame right?
SDt0134.png

Lets do this bitch!
SDt0135.png

Same plan we used for the guardian.
SDt0136.png

Such a nice spell for only 5 MP.
SDt0137.png

Especially the effect on Pyra.
SDt0138.png

Bastard still hits hard, but he skipped his second turn this time. Feeling lucky?
SDt0139.png

Ichigeki hissatsu!
SDt0140.png

SDt0141.png

Well, another basin filled with radioactive monster piss. Joy.
SDt0142.png

Another set of stairs up. Guess these are the 'real' ones, because the other ones didn't go anywhere except back down to level 3.
SDt0143.png

Real level 4 baby!
SDt0144.png

Quite the warm welcome for us.
SDt0145.png

Sweet.
SDt0146.png

Probably shouldn't have stuck around after that last fight. Desperate attempt to sleep some of these fails completely.
SDt0147.png

Pyra can't hit them that hard either.
SDt0148.png

But they aren't hitting so hard either, so maybe we'll be fine.
SDt0149.png

Apparently they took offense to that comment.
SDt0150.png

Time to bail. Look ma', I'm rich!
SDt0151.png

Not really necessary but whatever floats your boat.
SDt0152.png

:lol:
SDt0153.png

We can probably get that in under 10 battles on the 4 floor. We'll have full spellbooks on our casters in no time.
SDt0154.png

Fuck yeah! You're a new party member right? With spells and useful shit?
SDt0155.png

His name is off centre because the screen is shaking and I can't be assed to animate an epilepsy inducing gif for you guys. Sorry.
SDt0156.png

SDt0157.png

Once again Theo dissapears. Plot dump time!
SDt0158.png

I think you missed dude.
SDt0159.png

Ah. A challenger appears!
SDt0160.png

Thats ok, we know MUDDLE doesn't do fuck all anyways.
SDt0161.png

Duh, can't you see his hat? He's clearly a wizardly pimp. He's collecting from his hos.
SDt0162.png

Oh, or that.
SDt0163.png

Wait, Melvyl is Dark Sol?!? WHAT A TWIST. BEST RPG STORY EVER GUYS.
SDt0164.png

Damn, I want that spell, it looks cool.
SDt0165.png

Emo Lord does not approve. You know, he had an actual (albeit cheesy) name in the japanese version.
SDt0166.png

My mad screenshotting skillz failed to capture the epic grey fireball that PWNS Xern here.
SDt0167.png

Shouldn't we be like, attacking him right now? I mean, he's totally surrounded and outnumbered like 10 to 1.
SDt0168.png

Not like he'll be easier to kill in the labyrinth.
SDt0169.png

Apparently DARK SOL is so badass the game needs not just one, but two silent protagonists to face him.
SDt0170.png

Wait, what? Time out. Why do we not know about the previous champion. I call shenanigans.
SDt0171.png

Well duh. Were you expecting Dai?
SDt0172.png

Hell yes! I owe these guys so much payback! And you got the chick right? With the tits?!? Pyra is totally flat.
SDt0173.png

Railroad'd.
SDt0174.png

So hopeless! How can we hope to face the dark lord that beat up an old man with a cane!
SDt0175.png

Only if this LP gets bumped more. I'm totally abandoning this shit if I have to put 1000 images on one page.
SDt0176.png

If you say so Gandalf.
SDt0177.png

Unlike my totally noble lust for jailbait royalty and awesome jewgolds leading me to the same place.
SDt0178.png

Did anyone ever tell the ancients they couldn't just replaced a bunch of those doors with walls to keep things where they're supposed to be?
SDt0179.png

Because killing shit makes you strong! Also, none of the monsters use bows, so we don't risk taking any arrows to the groin, eye, or other vital locations.
SDt0180.png

Oh noes! But they totally need to be leashed! They'll crap on our lawns if they aren't leashed!
SDt0181.png

Again, why the fuck aren't you guys giving us this shit earlier?
SDt0182.png

Plot device GET.
SDt0183.png

Ahhhhh.
SDt0184.png

Right, and then?
SDt0185.png

FUCKER. I've been walking back there this whole fucking time! Guess I forgot to check back at the castle when I should have.
SDt0186.png

SDt0187.png

What, thats it? You're not coming? Asshole.
SDt0188.png

Gee, not us! *Hides glowing magical lightning sword and fabled ancient light helm*
SDt0189.png

Was probably a SLOW spell. Our slow spells are grey too.
SDt0190.png

Cool. I want one of those.
SDt0191.png

:hmmm:
SDt0192.png

Well if he isn't the bad guy, Theos is at least working for him. Totally frigging suspicious.
SDt0193.png

Oh who cares, you're probably like, level 5. We could rez you for less money than we charge for an autograph.
SDt0194.png

I can beat him, but my plan involves fucking every beautiful virgin girl in the kingdom. Will you help me?
SDt0195.png

You'd make a great clown. You should try that.
SDt0196.png

As opposed to their usual state of retardation? Not much of a loss.
SDt0197.png

Only once, so I can screenshot it and for the guys reading this to suffer along with me.
SDt0198.png

New toy! YAY!
SDt0199.png

Yeah we already know that.
SDt0200.png

This'd be more impressive if you weren't with us when XERN explained this shit.

New level 3 map:
Lab3c.png

And beginnings of a level 4 map:

Lab4a.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom