Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Mass Effect 3: Emotional Engagements

Erebus

Arcane
The original ending was more fun, in a way. It was essentially the same (minus the "Fuck you, philistine" Refusal option), but horribly rushed and vague. The EC fixed the many minor plot holes, though it didn't make the whole thing any smarter.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So...what did they improve on with this patch? The faith of the species after blowing shit up?

Show all the endings, RK, ALL!

It still seems to rely on a false premise (inevitable conflict of synthetics and organics) with a solution that is actually identical to the problem itself (synthetics killing organics) and no real valid solutions.

Part of me wants to give BioWare credit for not taking any easy out and giving you a clear good ending. With the scope of the conflict, there shouldn't be a perfect resolution. They just lacked the intellectual and writing chops to actually pull it off, but at least they tried.

lightbane

Arcane
So...what did they improve on with this patch? The faith of the species after blowing shit up?

Part of me wants to give BioWare credit for not taking any easy out and giving you a clear good ending. With the scope of the conflict, there shouldn't be a perfect resolution. They just lacked the intellectual and writing chops to actually pull it off, but at least they tried.

But that's precisely part of the problem: After two games showing that you can fight fate and stop the inevitable because you're motherfucking Awesome Shepard TM, then you amass an army made of pretty much every major race IN THE FUCKING GALAXY, the ending comes out of nowhere and is hilariously nihilistic. It would have been better if Casey Hudson RK (Reaper Kiddo) was deliberately trying to deceive you to pick the Synthesis Ending, instead of the other two (becase you're threatening their damn lives with the other two outcomes). Actually, RK is unambiguously evil in the new ending, you should had the choice to fight the Reapers and win the battle, but they would prove to be too strong fuck that, Shepard kills two with conventional weaponry, so they're not almighty, but that would go against Bioware's artistic vision. Anyways, it doesn't matter, as long as the future DLCs are lped (such as that Leviathan thing and possibly the original ending before Casey went full retard it was discarded).

PS: Personally I believe machines and organics CAN coexist peacefully. Astroboy, Megaman and Ghost in the Shell are some examples of works in which AIs are able to tolerate and live with humanity without any problem. In fact, the Reaper Kiddo seemed to purposely ignore the Geth and EDI while it was rambling about how SYNTHETIC ARE EVIL...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Aside from Star Child..the ending does seem ... pretty OK. But I kinda despise how they ruined a few characters just for the sake of telling this bad story.

Uploading my journal.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
was that shit for real? or shopped in?
It's what happens if you wait too long IIRC.

Aside from Star Child..the ending does seem ... pretty OK.
Much improved in the EC. It used to be much more nonsensical. It's still bullshit that you can't call him out on the organics vs synthetics, especially if you reunited geths and quarians.

Also, which ending are you talking about? Destroy and Control are generally less derpy than Synthesis due to... well, synthesis.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Actually, uh, come to think of it...the reapers are really powerful and monitor organic space pretty closely, yeh, or at least have the capability to? So uh...why is the solution to the synthetics-organics chaos to kill all organics, thus not killing off only advanced civilizations but also killing off the bud of synthetic lifeforms. Why not just wait until synthetics evolve and become a threat and then intervene? You could wait until they win the rebellion like the geth did, and intervene then, losing some organics but hey better than killing them all. Or you could play it safe and intervene the moment you see signs of "does this unit have a soul"-like problems. Either way, the reapers easily have the strength to pull this off, so...why not do that instead?

Except that with the threat they're supposed to solve, rebelling synthetics, they actually allied with that threat in ME1, before it was retconned out.

*head asplode*

I shouldn't start picking holes. I don't think it'd ever end. The main problems are clear, being that despite being conceived as a trilogy they clearly never planned ahead for an over-arching story, and that they also made the story and logic more complex than they needed to be, which means the inferior writing and logic become very obvious and stark.

RK47

Patron
They're too lazy to farm their own crops and prefer to wait till the buffet is full. Or some shit.

was that shit for real? or shopped in?
It's what happens if you wait too long IIRC.

Aside from Star Child..the ending does seem ... pretty OK.
Much improved in the EC. It used to be much more nonsensical. It's still bullshit that you can't call him out on the organics vs synthetics, especially if you reunited geths and quarians.

Also, which ending are you talking about? Destroy and Control are generally less derpy than Synthesis due to... well, synthesis.

Obviously the red one. :kfc:
For Colonel Sanderson!

lightbane

Arcane
Wait. What. I'm Reaper Kid now? Fuck you man.

Woops. Sorry, it was a totally unintentional pun.

Lol with the "the Crucible has been destroyed. You lose" moment. It sort of makes sense, after all the Reapers are there attacking everything, but it's still forced.

Also, Shepard's cyber-resurrection was an excuse to have your character downgrade to level 1 (and to have blue/red eyes depending of your alignment, because it worked for KOTOR), no-one talked about his condition until right now, at the last minute of the game...

PS: In fact, since Shepard is a cyborg, it too contradicts that ramble about SYNTHETICS AND HUMIES CANNOT COEXIST.

PPS: In the original endings the Mass Relays were destroyed, dooming entire civilizations to die or to suffer a massive technological regression. That was retconned 'cause the biotards complained too much.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Just noticed the Citadel remains on the Earth orbit. Guess it won't affect the height of tides at all, as the moon does, but on catastrophic scale :smug:

So regarding endings...

Why would allowing shepard to just kill the fucking things be so bad? It's not like the reapers aren't unambiguously evil or anything, and all the other endings rely on the assumption that mr reaperchild tells you the truth and cannot corrupt you once you "assume control" or "merge" (how the fuck is that even supposed to work). A rather idiotic assumption considering how every single instance we have seen mergings or controlings earlier in all three games, the result has been massive and unambiguous evil of the retarded evil alignment happen. (Like, let us harvest these people and turn them into goo, or nuke the entire planet, or turn them into zombies etc etc).

So.. Yeah. I'll go so far as to say that anything short of "destroy" is retarded, there was never any other realistic choice. The entire dichotomy between synthetic and organic is kinda forced too imo. Just don't program your toasters with a will to power and self realization and you'll be K.

RK47

Patron
That's the issue you see. Synthetics vs Organics is just part of the stuff. Never been about that. It's always been about 'Ancient Threat vs Hero' shtick for the past 2 games. And the whole tone of the third game is mostly the same, Rannoch is but a small part of the conflict. Shepard is the one who's gonna stop this shit, one way or another, yet Reapers kept refusing to explain anything to Shepard, even the Harbinger - or the destroyed Sovereign will not budge from 'you're too puny to understand my greater purpose' - and when the Citadel showdown occurs, this is what we get? A mis-programmed AI that thinks what he's doing isn't wrong and Reaper is doing it in the name of 'stopping future conflict by destroying advanced civilizations before it's too late'? That's just dumb.

Oh yeah, the last gasp indicates that Shepard is still alive.
:codexisfor: Thanks for watching bros.

Erebus

Arcane
Lol with the "the Crucible has been destroyed. You lose" moment. It sort of makes sense, after all the Reapers are there attacking everything, but it's still forced.

Especially since Casper is supposedly controlling them. If he's really decided to let Shepard make his choice, why would he let the Reapers attack the Crucible ?

PPS: In the original endings the Mass Relays were destroyed, dooming entire civilizations to die or to suffer a massive technological regression. That was retconned 'cause the biotards complained too much.

Also, the Normandy was stranded and its crew was apparently going to settle the planet by itself, which suggest its future would mostly consist of having sex (fun) and dealing with a lot of children as well as genetical problems (not so fun). In the EC, the way the Normandy crash-lands on that planet is quite pointless.

Oh yeah, the last gasp indicates that Shepard is still alive.

That's one thing that actually makes less sense in the EC. The original ending stopped minutes after the big colored explosion, but the EC describes the start of the reconstruction. Shepard's survival couldn't have gone unnoticed.

Anyway, thanks for the LP, RK !

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Why not just wait until synthetics evolve and become a threat and then intervene? You could wait until they win the rebellion like the geth did, and intervene then, losing some organics but hey better than killing them all.
You don't get it mang. They're not killing them all, they're preserving them in Reaper form. And if they intervene too soon then they won't be able to and the life forms will be lost forever!

Serious answer: because they obviously added the Reaper motives about 2 weeks before ME3 shipped.

I shouldn't start picking holes. I don't think it'd ever end. The main problems are clear, being that despite being conceived as a trilogy they clearly never planned ahead for an over-arching story
Yep. The signs are all over the place, especially in ME2. Killing Shepard to reset his powers (if they'd planned it as a trilogy, this would've never been needed, as another solution would've been in place), the Collectors, the constant retcons and out-of-nowhere additions.... seriously you'll really never be done if you start picking holes.

Thanks for watching bros.
Awesome LP as usual :greatjob:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Haha, to be fair, that last gasp omg hero/villain is alive is a wonderful 80s cheese action flick cliche, and at its roots, though it's kind of forgotten by now, 80s cheese is one of the things that inspired Mass Effect.

Anyway, that was pretty bad. I can see they fixed what pissed off the BioWare fanboys (the crew's faith being unclear, the relays blowing up chunks of the galaxy) and made it a happier ending, but that's not actually an improvement from a writing/narrative standpoint, and does nothing to alleviate the incredibly badly written star child sequence, or the many plotholes surrounding this tale.

Cinematically, though, these sequences are really well-done (not the weak slideshow stuff, but the other sequences). In stark contrast to how bad the cinematography is in the DA games it's always been p good in Mass Effect, and they've clearly learned a lot by this game. That's good, kind of. Their goal is to make cinematic narrative-heavy shooter games, so it's nice if they're at least kind of good at one part of that (cinematic), improving at another (shooter), even if only getting worse at the third (narrative).

Oh well. Well done RK47, even if you did video a little much for my tastes! Doesn't compare to the ME1/ME2 LPs, this one, but I suppose you're pretty tired of the series, understandable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom