Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Daggerfall!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Travel e.g. through the city of Daggerfall is much quicker using a horse.

And it's more fun to levitate over the city walls with your horse and cart, like a Tamriel Santa.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Spacemoose said:
funny you mention getting lost, I think daggerfall improved my spacial imaging skills at least a bit
Sure but since they tended to lack any rhyme or reason it quickly became a chore. I remember one dungeon where I missed a jump and dropped like two levels down in a dungeon and was certain there was no way out of my new location...

And since I abhor the save and reload mantra (I used to get caught up in the game and would forget) getting stuck would suck all the enjoyment out of the game quickly.

I seem to remember the dungeons were the same 4 rooms joined together to form massive mazes so its was very easy to get lost.
I also fell through the floor after patches were applied and got tired of the main quest which I didnt finish.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
Slenkar said:
I seem to remember the dungeons were the same 4 rooms joined together to form massive mazes so its was very easy to get lost.
I also fell through the floor after patches were applied and got tired of the main quest which I didnt finish.

Easy to get lost, sure, but that was what made the game fun. Modern RPGs are so concerned about attracting the knuckle draggers that they shy away from large, complex dungeons.

Good example of these dungeons, courtesy of my recent play-through of Daggerfall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7qr76R8Q_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f4yP6Rfpko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5dyEHYTX8

and others.

To the thread starter: Why not take videos of your play through, rather then screenshots? I enjoyed reading through the thread (which I found through a DF internet search) and would love it if you posted actual videos of your trip.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
DOS-fanboy said:
I'll give you a point for that. Oblivion is far too watered down for me though. Two whole trips through the game and I just didn't feel any "magic". Dungeons were cramped and very short, you have only about 50% of the available skills. No phobia selection, no traits, no altering of starting base stats, no PC history creation, no reaction table altering, ect ect ect. It's like comparing D&D to a choose your own adventure novel. Very watered down.

Welcome to the Codex.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
Jasede said:
DOS-fanboy said:
I'll give you a point for that. Oblivion is far too watered down for me though. Two whole trips through the game and I just didn't feel any "magic". Dungeons were cramped and very short, you have only about 50% of the available skills. No phobia selection, no traits, no altering of starting base stats, no PC history creation, no reaction table altering, ect ect ect. It's like comparing D&D to a choose your own adventure novel. Very watered down.

Welcome to the Codex.

It's funny, because several times, after posting little diatribes like that all over the web, I was always flamed with the same insult:

"Go back to the Codex" "What is a codex lackey doing here?" "Codex scum"

I've never been a member, but I obviously felt a strange kinship with the reviewers/news posters on your site.

If you ever see someone on the Bethesda FO3 forums with the nick "Wastelander", that's me. One look at my post history there should give you an idea of where I stand.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
DOS-fanboy said:
Slenkar said:
To the thread starter: Why not take videos of your play through, rather then screenshots? I enjoyed reading through the thread (which I found through a DF internet search) and would love it if you posted actual videos of your trip.
I've got quite a few here on my filefront page. Some of them are short and silly (playing with wabbajack and the sangine rose, etc.) But there are walkthroughs of the first and last dungeons with commentary, among others.

Darkflame

Scholar
DOS-fanboy said:
Jasede said:
DOS-fanboy said:

Welcome to the Codex.

It's funny, because several times, after posting little diatribes like that all over the web, I was always flamed with the same insult:

"Go back to the Codex" "What is a codex lackey doing here?" "Codex scum"

I've never been a member, but I obviously felt a strange kinship with the reviewers/news posters on your site.

If you ever see someone on the Bethesda FO3 forums with the nick "Wastelander", that's me. One look at my post history there should give you an idea of where I stand.

I liked the videos - very cool that there are people still playing Daggerfall out there outside of what I thought was the last bastion of hope for good RPGs.

Don't announce your distaste for OB too loudly though if you expect to last long in the ES forums - the moderators over there ban all defectors to Bethesda's "RPG for the next generation" mentality, and they watch these boards as well for amusement. In fact, if you type "RPG Codex" over there it is automatically replaced with "I love Oblivion."

elander_

Arbiter
Surgey man you are going to piss your pants when you get to the Direnni Tower dungeon. But not without doing the painting quest for Sentinel that is required to reveal Direnni Tower location. At this time you may need to use the [ and ] cheat keys unless you want to spend days lost in a huge dungeon. Theres about 1000 procedurally generated dungeons that were later hand-tweaked. The main quest dungeons are heavily tweaked and thus more interesting.

I think that what kept me doing these dungeons was my climber char and the magic and mystery feeling to this land. I was always looking to find something unusual and unexpected inside those dungeons and sometimes theres was something odd and misplaced that would suggest something that was happening in those dungeons: an underwater river that leads to a secret cave where the big loot is, a big room with a pit at the center used for fights, a prison cell block full of ghosts, part of tower interior that was completely sunken by water, a system of caves and mines leading to an underground cult church, a maze of chambers used to store the dead in their coffins. Of course I eventually ended up knowing there was nothing more besides suggestive architecture after some people fully hacked the game but there was always that clime of mystery and discovery. This is the kind of thing that procedural content can do well.

Surgey

Scholar
Did you miss Nine-Toes? Well he missed you. Which is why he's going to make up for it by investigating Lysandus in...

CHAPTER 5: THE ORC, THE WITCH, AND THE +5 HOLY AVENGER!
In this chapter, you will...
Be awed by the sheer force of the dwarven flail!
Watch our hero make several useless trips, but EPIC ONES!
Also watch him grab some phat loot!
And then watch him get the shit kicked out of him by the undead!

But remember, this chapter is not for the faint of heart! If you are alarmed by arachnids, best to get the fuck out while you can!

Nine-Toes rests up in a close inn, then sets off for these Wrothgarian mountains to find this Mad Witch. It shall be an epic journey of... of...

148.jpg

149.jpg

Man, what? I got the idea here that these mountains were an isolated area or something. Well, shit... Might as well go to a town and ask around...

150.jpg

Well, it seems the women here are just as well-endowed as the ones in Daggerfall. A quick interrogation shows that nobody knows SHIT about the witch. So let's cart our asses back to Daggerfall...

Once there, Nine-Toes thinks it's about time to do a Fighter's Guild quest. He might be behind on quota.

151.jpg

Not Shown: the man giving the quest. He tells Nine-Toes to go to an inn and kick the shit out of spiders, apparently.

Spiders? What, is the innkeeper not wearing shoes? Last I checked it doesn't take a Warrior to take on a spider. Jesus, people these days...

152.jpg

This must be it. Oh well. Time to go squish a spider.

153.jpg

"WHA WHAT!? You call that a spider?! You sure you didn't leave out one or two vital adjectives, such as big and fucking, to describe the spider?!"

154.jpg

Nine-Toes still doesn't have trouble squishing it. He then declares "Squish, bitch!" which is what all heroes are required to do when killing any type of insect or arachnid.

He then heads back to the Fighter's guild to collect his fee.

Nine-Toes then ponders the situation. It seems at the moment, we've failed to go contact the witch, so the next logical step is to go to Castle Daggerfall. However, since it's getting late and Nine-Toes is in Daggerfall anyway, he decides to brave the dark midnight streets of Daggerfall to see this spirit of Lysandus...

155.jpg

"Here goes nothing..."

156.jpg

So far so good... Doesn't look to be any sign of danger. "Maybe I did something right?"

At this moment, a deep rumbling voice shouts "VENGEAAANCE!" It would appear that Brisienna was pretty accurate in her report. The shout is accompanied by another roar. Nine-Toes spins around to confront whoever approaches.

157.jpg

"Hello? Hey, wait a minute is that..."

158.jpg

Argh! A wraith! They weren't kidding when they said the ghosts and undead roam the streets!

Nine-Toes battles the wraith for his life, and manages to defeat it by a small margin. Whew!

159.jpg

This is all that remains of the ghost. Searching the remains, we find some type of were animal horn. Hm... intriguing. Also, disappointing, since we were obviously hoping for phat lewt.

Nine-Toes decides to go for a walk. While the wraith is slain, the words "VENGEANCE!" can still be heard every few seconds. It would seem that Lysandus' spirit is not easily excorcised.

Unfortunately, Nine-Toes walks outside the city gates and encounters...

160.jpg

"Aaaaaah! RUN AWAY!" This particular wraith hands Nine-Toes' ass to him, sadly. Fortunately, though, Nine-Toes had a save game several seconds earlier!

161.jpg

Let's go to Sentinel. As you may or may not be able to see, it's on the south side of the Bay, on the coast.

162.jpg

"Argh. This dry weather is bad for my flaky scaly skin. I knew I should've brought my oil of Olay!"

163.jpg

Soriosis or not, Nine-Toes knows he must brave the hot weather and make his way to the castle... stopping at several armories along the way, of course. I mean, he has to spend his cash on something!

165.jpg

"Something about the shape of that castle makes me feel funny, but in a good way."

We walk in a bit, and we soon encounter...
166.jpg

"Hootchie-Momma! Man, if only I were a human. Anyway, you seen the queen?" Obviously, the image has been edited for work-safety. But yeah, I wasn't lying when I said nudity.

167.jpg

Ah, here we are. The throne room? Argh! No, after a bit more trekking, we come to it...

168.jpg

Nine-Toes humbly approaches the queen and starts to speak...

169.jpg

"Well fuck you too, frigid bitch!" Nine-Toes is sadly turned away. Even after performing a couple pointless side quests for chump change, they still don't seem to realize he's on an epic quest. Great. One useless trip in the bag.

171.jpg

At least their battlemages are hot.

172.jpg

Nine-Toes makes his way back to Daggerfall, in the daytime, this time. Let's get to the castle.

173.jpg

Here's a quick update on the character. As you can see, I decided to pick up the cloak again, and a better helmet. That golden flail is actually made of Dwarven metals. It's very powerful, as you'll note soon.

174.jpg

That must be the castle. We head on in...

175.jpg

"Pound sand, pal, I do what I want, I'm a mushroom cloud-laying mother fucker, motherfucker."

176.jpg

Good to see that Oblivion carries on the tradition of Elder Scrolls NPC's schedules involving staring at walls for hours on end, too.

Let's talk to the queen. We are given the option for a quest.

177.jpg

Seeing as how we want to finish this game within the next several years, we obviously accept. Refusing at this point can lead to an unwinnable game.

178.jpg

"Gee, that's not nearly enough time. I mean, it takes me a whole 15 days to get there..."

179.jpg

Oh yeah. Here we go.

180.jpg

The ominous situation we have here is but a foreshadow of the massive destruction and murder about to happen in this castle.

Nine-Toes finds the entrance and quickly jumps in. Ahead of him, he spots a door and approaches, attempting to open it.
181.jpg

"Bastards!"

Not to be dissuaded, Nine-Toes attempts to bash the door a bit. In case I didn't mention it, locked doors can be bashed open if you don't have the skill to pick the lock.

182.jpg

Alas, but to no avail. It appears this is no ordinary lock.

Nine-Toes spots a tabard by the door.
188.jpg

A riddle, it seems. We don't know the answer, sadly, so we can't get in. And sorry to break the fourth wall, but we shouldn't be able to see this riddle from OUTSIDE the door. There's actually a character on the other side who asks this question, and we're talking to them through the wall. Awesome!

183.jpg

Time to kick some ass.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING SCENES MAY CONTAIN SERIOUS ASSKICKING THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR WUSSIES! DISCRETION IS ADVISED, BUT NOT RECOMMENDED.

184.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

"Fuck you, magi, I'm Nine-Toes!" Probably worth noting here that Nine-Toes has absolutely no skill in magic. He has about 25 spell points in the dark and 15 in daylight, and all his spells cost about 40-50. Needless to say, he's not going to be casting anything anytime soon.

With all the asskicking, Nine-Toes even levelled up! Hooray! Level 4!

187.jpg

Great, another dungeon that winds on forever. I could cheat and tell the password to get through the door, but that would be lame.

Instead, I spend hours...
190.jpg

And hours...
191.jpg

And hours...
192.jpg

Searching for the room. Probably not time well spent. However, we will be returning here some time soon, so it's worth doing this quest.

Nine-Toes finally enters a nicely-made room. And then he is instanly blown to kingdom come by a pair of liches and a mage. I shit you not, there were 2 liches in that room, and they would paralyze Nine-Toes, then kill him in a single hit. That's about 60 damage in a single hit. Even if they didn't kill him in one hit, Nine-Toes cannot do anything, as his weapons are ineffective against liches. Great. Silver doesn't even affect them.

So what does he do?

He makes a mad dash for the witch, who seems obliged to share some of her creepy insane knowledge with us.

193.jpg

"Uhh... sure, you just keep doing your thing."

However, this cryptic remark is actually a very useful tidbit we should remember. It's hard to tell, but she's actually telling us the password to the door AND, apparently, Lysandus' crypt. If you didn't catch it, the password is "shut up." Yeah, I don't get it either.

We use the password on the skeleton guarding the door, then flee the liches and certain death.

194.jpg

It's certainly good to see Daggerfall again. Let's go get our flail from the queen.

195.jpg

I'm guessing that's the prince there, but he doesn't like me so he won't talk to me. The big jerk.

196.jpg

"Well that's strikes two and three right there, bucko." Still, Nine-Toes decides against killing her, seeing as how she's plot central, she's giving us a cool flail, and there are enough armed guards in the room to fill a galleon.

And what an awesome flail it is! It gives about +30 to Willpower, which is very handy for resisting spells, not to mention it's magical, so it can damage some creatures normally immune to normal weapons. Magnum upgrade!

197.jpg

Well the world is safe once... oh, I already said that. In that case, fuck the police.

Nine-Toes asks some random asshole about the news to see if anybody realizes how awesome he is.
198.jpg

But apparently, everybody seems annoyed that the pesky queen is trying to get rid of the ghosts wandering the streets at night killing people. What a total bitch!

199.jpg

Okay, here's what our stuff looks like now. As you can see, I found a really spiffy red cloak, and the greaves are actually upgraded to Elven steel, despite not looking as cool. Oh well.

Let's end this chapter on a Doom Comic Book note!
doomtoes.jpg

Awesome.

It would appear that the spirit of Lysandus causes deadly ghosts and wraiths to appear upon the streets of Daggerfall at night. This is troublesome indeed! What will become of the people of the good city? Will Nine-Toes really manage to catch up with Lysandus' killer? Will giving Lysandus the vengeance he cries out about finally put his spirit to rest? Was there even an Orc or a Holy Avenger in this chapter at all? All these questions will be answered in the chapters to come, and possibly in the next chapter...

CHAPTER 6: OH COME ON, YOU CAN'T EVEN HEAR ME STEALING IT! STUPID PSYCHIC GUARDS!

Note: You see, it's funny because it's actually a Dwarven flail! It totally was not a typo/mistake on my part at all!

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Did you change your UI Surgey? I notice a difference between the UI in the first half and it changes in around the second half of your post.

Pretty good post. I didn't know that the buildings and landscape changed in Daggerfall, I thought it would all be snowy landscapes with typical English countryside buildings and stone castles throughout the whole game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No offense, this is entertaining, but you write like an excited 18-year old.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, this makes me wish I could play Daggerfall. I tried it once, but I had to stop...those old first person graphics give me motion sickness.

Nice work Surgey. I couldn't get it to work either. Oh well, please continue until you've finished.

I am about to order Geneforge and play that. I downloaded the demo and loved it so I'm gonna make a run through the game.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Sovy Kurosei said:
Did you change your UI Surgey? I notice a difference between the UI in the first half and it changes in around the second half of your post.

He just went "full screen" which gets rid of all the quick icons (spell casting, inventory, etc..) and leaves only the compass and the three stat bars (hit points, mana and stamina). Looks better but plays like shit. :?

Also, excited 18 years old are more fun to read than embittered old-timers.

denizsi

Arcane

Moments like this, when NPCs shun you, is golden, especially her precise response.

For those who can't get it to run: question is, how far would you get to run it properly? If you are up to installing Win98 on a virtual machine, but you don't because you don't own a Windows 98, you can find cheap legitimate copies on eBay, and then all you'd need is either VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 (free).

Actually, you may not even have to take the ordeal of installing Windows 98. I think I can upload the virtual hdd files of a fresh Windows 98 (SE) installation (250 MBs, give or take) somewhere, of either VMWare or Virtual PC, and you would only need to get VMWare Player (free) or VPC to run it, and then you could do anything with it. For legitimacy's sake, you can change the product key afterwards (as I'll change it to some random key to protect my own license).

The only seemingly legitimacy problem with this is that anyone to get the pre-installed hdd files could use it with or without having a license.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You really only need Dosbox.

It will circumvent all problems except for the "You inserted the wrong CD!" problem, which can be fixed with a manual full install as well as manually loading z.exe with self-made .bat.

denizsi

Arcane
Well, when people say "I couldn't get it to work", I assume they tried DosBox and that failed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No, it doesn't fail. When you try Dosbox it 0.62 or 0.70 it will work, all errors that you can get are easily fixed by enabling -ioctl on CD mounting, making that custom .bat as well as doing a manual (!) full install.

I've never heard of other problems with Daggerfall and Dosbox. I will teach you how to do that stuff I mentioned above if you get those errors. [You inserted the wrong CD! and/or You didn't insert the CD!]

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Lonely Vazdru said:
It works fine for me with XP. If you have a legitimate copy, you can use this little program. It's called DFInstall and it will install the game properly under XP. The page is in french, but the program is easily found at the bottom of the page.

http://daggerfall.free.fr/down/index.html

Works with an iso, as well.
Not that I'd know.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not sure about the number of dungeons there is in DF game, but am I right to assume they are not 'handcrafted'?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom