Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Daggerfall!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Lumpy said:
The only possible reason I could think of, would be the Codex losing some reputation among the developers (if that's even possible), and thus having a harder time getting interviews.
Or getting closed down due to complaints about being a den of pirates (yaaarrrr). Some staff do have their RL names attached to this site, you know. And I'm not sure Talantuain (the guy who hosts the 'Codex and TCancer) would be too happy about us promoting warez.
I could go on, but I shouldn't need to.
Are you really this thick?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
The only possible reason I could think of, would be the Codex losing some reputation among the developers...
We don't support/encourage/approve of stealing games. Period. There is nothing else to it, no desire to please anyone or maintain our reputation.

But it's not like anyone is really taking time to talk to the Codex anyway, except for people like MCA and JE Sawyer.
What about out Witcher, Drakensang, Gothic 3 interviews? Dave Gaider or Feargus interviews? If there were more RPGs in development, there would have been more interviews.

Anyway, there is a really great -in my opinion - interview in the works. If everything goes well, it should be posted this weekend.

By the way, how about an interview with a Daggerfall dev?
It's kinda pointless because everything worth saying about the game had already been said.

An interview with Julian Lefay would interest me.

hicksman

Liturgist
Daggerfall is on ebay, amazon and mobygames' trade page.

Edit - And game trade zone

taxacaria

Scholar
My copy is legal, bought the original DF at release date. Some years ago I had to replace the cd and bought a used second copy with patch 213 included.
But if I was unable to buy a legal copy, I'd wait for an opportunity to get it from ebay etc.
Arena is freeware now, and so Daggerfall will become freeware one day.
Considering the current crappy RPGs on the marketplace, Daggerfall will still be fine in a few years. It's one of the great classic RPGs and will never loose it's rogue charm.
btw - you can still buy it from amazon. I've made some research today and found at least 4 used copies (prices are $30-$40).
So no one can say he's unable to get it and so there is no reason for any piracy at all.

Amasius

Augur
Lumpy is form Eastern Europe, eh? I've heard rumors that they don't buy games over there... Less pirating diskussion and more of the awesome adventures of Nine-Toes please.

Lumpy

Arcane
Amasius said:
Lumpy is form Eastern Europe, eh? I've heard rumors that they don't buy games over there...
Yep, most people don't. But I, due to my super moralistic sense, have bought like 5 or 6 games so far.
Which is about 50% of the games I play.

denizsi

Arcane
And please enlighten me, why would that be such a bad idea?
The only possible reason I could think of, would be the Codex losing some reputation among the developers (if that's even possible), and thus having a harder time getting interviews. But it's not like anyone is really taking time to talk to the Codex anyway, except for people like MCA and JE Sawyer.

That Bethesda cornered Glutton Creeper about the Fallout PNP doesn't give you any idea? And those guys have legitimately licensed the PNP way before Bethesda bought the whole IP for fuck's sake. They even demanded replacement docs to put down .pdfs to Bethesda games, and you are still blabbering like the new kid in the block, though you're not.

By the way, how about an interview with a Daggerfall dev?

An interview with Julian Lefay would interest me.

I've been trying to find a way of contacting Julian LeFay for ages to no avail. Too bad that the only way seems to be through the devs at Beth and whoever I've PM'med or e-mailed about it, has insistantly ignored my pleas. Eventually I quit. If I were at the States, I might have tried calling every LeFay I could find in the area (Maryland that is). I sometimes think it's because they know I'm from Codex.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I'd like to read an interview with a Daggerfall dev.

Surgey, when did you level up?

Mr Happy

Scholar
Great stuff. Should've chosen the almost but not completely useless orcish language skill. You should visit a witch coven on a holiday or something, hopefully one were they avoid bikini waxing

SCR15.png

GhanBuriGhan said:
[/img]An interview with Julian Lefay would interest me.

Me too, but like denizi said, isn't he of wandering the wilds? Ted Peterson probably would be easier to get a hold of. I would love to hear details and decisions regarding all the stuff that didnt make it in to daggerfall, and the story of his life, or something.

Surgey

Scholar
Argh! I just accidently deleted my entire chapter I had ready to post! ARGHHH!

So we're going to abbreviate this one, sadly. I apologize, but I don't have time to post it again. I was just about to copy it into Notepad to save it, as well. Argh!

118.jpg

Nine-toes wakes in an inn. I had something witty to say here, but I don't have time to say it again.

122.jpg

We talk to a shopkeeper, and he claims he knows who caused the shipwreck.

123.jpg

We set out to find the scroll.

124.jpg

128.jpg

127.jpg

We kill some things in the dungeon.

134.jpg

Level up!

135.jpg

136.jpg

Oh no, a Daedroth! Luckily he is stuck in the ceiling, so we nab the scroll and make a run for it.

140.jpg

Hmm.... We should investigate this Mad Witch after visiting Brisienna.

142.jpg

As you can see, I went to Daggerfall and got some new armor.

144.jpg

This must be the inn!

145.jpg

146.jpg

Interesting. So we have several options at our disposal here.

In addition, here is a letter Nine-Toes didn't notice until now.
147.jpg

I really don't like the tone of this Morgiah. It really sounds like a trap to me; still, we don't have many leads on the letter.

Nine-Toes decides it would be best to find out who this man responsible for his shipwreck is. The Mad Witch probably knows who told her the ship carried the King's murderer, so we could interrogate her for the information, Jack Bauer-style. There's a decent chance that Lysandus' murderer is the person who implicated me, as well, so we have little to lose by heading to the Wrothgarian Mountains and investigating, besides time, which we have plenty of. At the very least, we can beat the hell out of the person responsible for murdering our crew. However, she is related to King Lysandus, and I'd hate to have another lost spirit roaming around by killing the Witch.

So Nine-Toes decides to set out for the Mountains at first dawn.

What answers will the Witch yield? Can Nine-Toes convince the witch that he is not responsible for Lysandus' murder? Will we bring the good King's true murderer to justice? Only time will tell, and hopefully some of these questions will be answered by next chapter...

CHAPTER 5: THE ORC, THE WITCH, AND THE +5 HOLY AVENGER!!

Also, again, I apologize for having to abbreviate this post, but I really just plain don't have time to do it again. This won't happen anymore, as I'll be sure to backup the text every once in a while. Stupid fucking back button...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Surgey said:
dagmap.jpg

"Oh good GRIEF. You have got to be kidding me!!" It appears Daggerfall is a city-state filled with a TON of other towns and cities. See each of those brown dots of different shades? Those are all towns.

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Even if all the towns are empty/generic, they still add a lot flavor to the game. And to think everybody praised Morrowind for it's size when it first came out.

It seems i came to the RPG scene a bit late. I wonder how many old masterpieces have i missed. My first RPG was Baldur's Gate and after a nice brake with Fallout/Torment, it's been down hill ever since. :?

Perhaps i should try to get that dosbox running...

taxacaria

Scholar
Lyric Suite said:
Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Even if all the towns are empty/generic, they still add a lot flavor to the game. And to think everybody praised Morrowind for it's size when it first came out.

DF has more than 750.000 NPCs, and has some more maps,too ( the above map is only a piece of the entire map).

DF_2.jpg

You can visit each of these countries.

DF_3.jpg

Part of Wayrest (with zoom function)

DF_5.jpg

Citymap of Daggerfall (5% of entire citymap)
btw - you can enter every building

DF_4.jpg

My current char

DF_6.jpg

In the Mages Guild

DF_7.jpg

Obi-wan in the Mages Guild.

Lumpy

Arcane
Morrowind's world was hand made, on the other hand, and worthwhile to explore. Not fast-traveling in Daggerfall would be suicide.
It would be like comparing the size of a sculpture to that of a landscape.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lyric Suite said:

It seems i came to the RPG scene a bit late. I wonder how many old masterpieces have i missed. My first RPG was Baldur's Gate and after a nice brake with Fallout/Torment, it's been down hill ever since. :?

Perhaps i should try to get that dosbox running...

You certainly should. I know you are a man of taste, and as such, I can only tell you that you have not experienced what RPGs really can do without playing the grand classic Betrayal at Krondor, now freeware and easily available for download from every corner of the world. Not to mention the many other games that will, to put it plainly, rock your socks off - I am thinking of Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7-2 (The Serpent Isle) or, well, Daggerfall.

Also, the best 4X strategy game, should you like such, was a DOS game: Master of Magic.

Focus: Carry on Surgey. You are almost making me break my 'no-gaming' vow and tempting me to install only one game, Daggerfall... I can see the box from here. It tempts me with its allure. I can hear it whisper at night, pleading "Install me...".

cutterjohn

Cipher
Cthulhu said:
Looks like shit.
Of course it looks like shit! It's a fucking 10y old game, although I'll admit that when I bought it new back in the day it wasn't exactly the best... and that is has aged from teh graphics wh0rez perspective very badly.

The point of Daggerfall is that it's a 1st person, open ended, CRPG which has had exactly zero realistic challengers. Morrowind made a fair grafix upgrade, yet heralded the downard spiral of Bethesda "hire copiers and pasters who think that they have a fucking clue then add lotsa buzzword shit to soak up short term gains, and a long term tax writeoff for zenimax" Softworks, Inc.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Jasede said:
Focus: Carry on Surgey. You are almost making me break my 'no-gaming' vow and tempting me to install only one game, Daggerfall... I can see the box from here. It tempts me with its allure. I can hear it whisper at night, pleading "Install me...".

What is this no-gaming vow that you took?

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
This is far more enjoyable than actually playing DF (if my disc wasnt so scratched up). Getting lost for the millionth time in random dungeon #1472-B12 gets old, especially after spending quality time dying constantly in the starter dungeon.

hakuroshi

Augur
In fact, NOT to use fast-travel in DF may be sort of fun once in a while. To ride from one town to another in winter, and sun is getting low, and you
worrying if you can make it before the gate is closed... Unique feeling. Of course if you have time for that, you probably better use it for something better, like real hiking for example.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
cutterjohn said:
Cthulhu said:
Looks like shit.
Of course it looks like shit! It's a fucking 10y old game, although I'll admit that when I bought it new back in the day it wasn't exactly the best... and that is has aged from teh graphics wh0rez perspective very badly.

I was referring to the "graphics tweak". Whatever.

Jormungandr

Liturgist
hakuroshi said:
In fact, NOT to use fast-travel in DF may be sort of fun once in a while. To ride from one town to another in winter, and sun is getting low, and you
worrying if you can make it before the gate is closed... Unique feeling. Of course if you have time for that, you probably better use it for something better, like real hiking for example.
Eh, just climb over the wall.
I did try running back home through the wilderness once, because even if I fast traveled 'recklessly' there I would arrive too late for the quest I was reporting back for. So I ended up pointing myself in roughly the right direction and putting stacks of quarters on the run and movement keys, then proceeding to play some SNES game while periodically checking my progress.

Needless to say, I still arrived too late. And collapsed a few times from exhaustion.

Gotta say, though, if you know where to look it is very easy to "happen upon" useful locations like witch covens in the wilderness without having to get a quest to them.

hakuroshi

Augur
Well, do you alwais climb walls with a horse and a cart on your back? :) Of course it doesn't count in the game, but I wanted to say, that real travel in DF may add to immersion.
And you really need a horse in DF :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom