Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Daggerfall!

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This thread makes me want to play Daggerfall. Is there any point in playing Daggerfall if you have already played (and are bored of) Morrowind?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
copx said:
This thread makes me want to play Daggerfall. Is there any point in playing Daggerfall if you have already played (and are bored of) Morrowind?

Absolutely. They are actually pretty different in style and feel. It's not easy (or rather: not cheap) to get a copy these days, however.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
copx said:

If you're bored of Morrowind it probably means that you first enjoyed it. My experience is that people who liked Morrowind don't care much for Daggerfall (especially since it means going way backwards in the graphic department). But then again, this is the codex (sorry, I meant "I love Oblivion"), some people here are weird enough to actually recognize a good game when they see one, so you might want to give it a try.

Lumpy

Arcane
Shagnak said:
The Public Enemy said:
I was hoping for a link so I can download it and play it for free...

Here you go gangsta :

http://torrentspy.com/ISuckBalls
I think Daggerfall's "abandonware" status is contested, at least by the Bethesda suits. Please don't link to it.
Why?
It's not like they're going to sue, we're already banned, it's not immoral since it's out of print.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I have it on DVD somewhere... I never got past the first dungeon because I hate 3D 1st person, twitch combat and LARPing.

I like this thread though, keep it going.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
Shagnak said:
The Public Enemy said:

Here you go gangsta :

I think Daggerfall's "abandonware" status is contested, at least by the Bethesda suits. Please don't link to it.
Why?
It's not like they're going to sue, we're already banned, it's not immoral since it's out of print.
Because regardless of your beliefs, it's still piracy and theft, and the Codex supports neither. So, if you or anyone else would like to share/ask for a few torrent links, do it somewhere else.

Excrément

Arbiter
I think I am gonna have fun in ten years when some oblivion nostalgic guys will write thread like that in this forum.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
Shagnak said:
The Public Enemy said:

Here you go gangsta :

Why?
Because regardless of your beliefs, it's still piracy and theft, and the Codex supports neither. So, if you or anyone else would like to share/ask for a few torrent links, do it somewhere else.
How is it theft by any possible definition of the word?

Vault Dweller

Developer
When you take something (Daggerfall) that belongs to someone (Bethesda), who doesn't want you to have it, well, that's theft.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So what about another argument: if you need to ask for .torrent links you do not deserve to be a pirate! arrr!

There is a great portal for all you copyright infringement needs: google.com

I hope the Codex does not censor that link, too :P

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
copx said:

the dungeons. try going around with pure warrior with no teleporting magic.
Me and my cousin spent hours in a dungeon writing on the in-game map: 'From South' 'From East' in every corridor junction we passed thru so we wouldn't get lost.

Surgey

Scholar
I've decided to bring this back on-topic with...

CHAPTER 3: FOR THE EMPEROR, I MUST QUEST FOR MONEY!

As we join our hero, Nine-Toes, he is just finishing his epic rat-killing quest given by the Fighter's Guild... with his newly-purchased maul, of course.

083.jpg

"They keep respawning, the little buggers!" Finally, he gets the last of them. Those two right there? I managed to get both of them in one swing.

084.jpg

Uh oh. After a night of rest, Nine-Toes starts to feel sick. Oh shit, it's the plague! God dammit!

Thankfully, priests don't care if you blaspheme, as long as you give them money. So Nine-Toes goes to the local church...

085.jpg

This looks like it... Let's go inside and get cured.

086.jpg

That's better.

Bored of this town after being here for a few hours, Nine-Toes decides to go to a useful town; aka, one that actually has a blacksmith. He recalls hearing somebody saying that Singcroft has an armorer, let's take a look at this map...

087.jpg

Okay then. I'm guessing those lines separate the territories or something. Probably a few cities in each of them....

Now wait a second... Let's take a closer look at the one I'm in, Daggerfall...

dagmap.jpg

"Oh good GRIEF. You have got to be kidding me!!" It appears Daggerfall is a city-state filled with a TON of other towns and cities. See each of those brown dots of different shades? Those are all towns.

Thankfully, there's a search option. You simply type in the name of what you're looking for, bam, there it is. It even asks you if you want to travel there! Since we know we want to go to Singcroft, let's put that in...

088.jpg

This is the travel screen. As you can see, we have various options. The options all combine to determine how dangerous your route is (how likely you are to have a random encounter) and how fast you travel (how many days it takes you to travel). Obviously, Recklessly travelling entails you keeping less eye out for ambushes and just going as fast as possible.

You even get to choose whether you want to stay at inns on the way to your destination, or just camp out. Obviously, staying at inns costs money (unless there's a special reason it doesn't, as I will show in a little bit).

089.jpg

Here we are in beautiful Singcroft! As you can see, it actually has a wall, unlike Gothway. Unfortunately, this means the gate is closed and locked, since it's nighttime.

If you remember, however, in character creation, I was sure to take Climbing as a Major skill...

090.jpg

Tada! I was able to easily and quickly climb the rough stone wall. Nine-Toes comments, "Wow, is that designed to keep invaders OUT?"

091.jpg

Okay, now the challenge is getting down without breaking both my legs, seeing as how I don't have rope, which is required to climb DOWN.

092.jpg

Success! I jumped to an adjacent roof. The guards don't seem to give a shit, either.

093.jpg

Cue epic music! It's good to finally be in a non-podunk town. There should be plenty to do here! A quick check at the automap shows that this city is MASSIVE. Better get started quickly, then.

094.jpg

Our first stop is, of course, the armorer. I need to keep my equipment in good shape, after all!

095.jpg

It's hard to tell, but in this shot, I upgraded to some chain pauldrons.

After asking around a bit, Nine-Toes learns there's a bastion for the Knights of the Dragon here. Since he wants to learn more, he quickly makes his way to it.

096.jpg

This must be it! The doors are, however, locked. Checking the time, Nine-Toes notes that it's 10 AM. "Damn lazy bums must not wake up til the crack of noon."

Waiting until noon, the door opens. Nine-Toes enters and speaks to the guildmaster, who tells him how things are. The master tells him that most of the missions the Knights do are not compensated for (aka, you don't get paid to do their quests). However, any inn you wish to stay at will allow you to do so for free. This includes if you want to stay at inns when you travel.

097.jpg

A most noble quest, indeed! Time to go slaughter some orcs! Nine-Toes sets off immediately and comes to the entrance, delving right in! It takes about 2 days to get to Baalithiah Hollow, so that gives him around 10 days to get the job done while there.

098.jpg

Spooky. Let's get going, no time to waste.

099.jpg

Ah! Our first victim in this decrepit crypt!... Hmm... wait a second...

097.jpg

Orcs?.... That thing doesn't look like an orc... well, whatever. Either way, it's dead meat, since it decided to look at me funny!

100.jpg

Looks like it was guarding some type of torture chamber! Those dirty-minded orcs! They will be crushed swiftly!.... as... soon as I find some.

101.jpg

After smashing another tiger or two, I found this door. Could this perhaps be the entrance to the leader's room?!

102.jpg

No, it's just a fucking bear. God dammit! Okay, so far there've been tigers and bears, so where are the lions? Better yet, where are the goddamn orcs?!

103.jpg

"I'm not going down there." Oh yes you are, Nine-Toes! Bombs away!

104.jpg

"More bears! My reputation amongst the wildlife must be dropping by the second!"

Nine-Toes goes through the dungeon for several more hours, causing the extinction of several different endangered species, all the while finding subpar loot, when eventually, he comes to another door. Pulling it open, we find...

105.jpg

"Aha! An orc! Time to die, filthy beast!"

106.jpg

"By the way, before you die, perchance you could tell me where your leader is? My beef is just with him, so this isn't personal, really."

107.jpg

"Oh.... okay. Well, then. Mission accomplished!" It appears this orc was the leader of the massive band of orcs that I totally must've just missed on the way to this room.

108.jpg

A quick search of the room shows there's about zilch of shit of value. Great. Well, I suppose this massive orc army of one will no longer terrorize the city of Singcroft or something.

Well, actually, I did find an Elven Dai-Katana on the orc's corpse, which is the most damaging weapon I've found so far. Too bad I don't use swords.

"Wait, what the fuck is an ORC doing with an elven weapon?!"

109.jpg

Nine-Toes ponders this on his way back to the guild.

110.jpg

Also, I spotted a mean-looking dog. I tried to kill it, but I couldn't damn.

111.jpg

Nine-Toes decides it's high time to admire his own beefiness. "Very strong" indeed.

Let's see what people are talking about in the tavern!

112.jpg

"Yeah, I hope to meet him someday. I was too busy wiping out an army of indigineous species to deal with an army of orcs, personally."

113.jpg

"Now, THAT was me. Honestly, how many ARGONIANS have you seen in this world? I haven't seen a single other."

114.jpg

Well, the world is safe once again... but, for how long?

115.jpg

"You should know better than to sneak up on Jack Bauer like that, kid. That's right, get lost before I kill you." Nine-Toes takes the letter.

Shall we read it? Eh, why not?

116.jpg

The plot thickens! Or shall I say it begins, since I've been personally been lost as soon as I left that first dungeon. Also, it's about time I've heard from Lady Brisienna. I've been asking everybody, and they just act like she doesn't exist. Bastards.

Nine-Toes decides to make a quick trip to the store before he sets off.

117.jpg

As you can see, I've decided to pick up a shield for now. Nine-Toes is a little tired of getting slashed up. The mace does less damage, obviously, but I can deal with it, since I kill everything quickly anyway. I'll keep the maul, just in case, though.

What will become of Nine-Toes? Will he decide to seek Brisienna, or will he blow it off in favor of chilvarous quests? Only time will tell, as Nine-Toes is really sleepy and decides to stay at the inn for the night!

Come back to see what happens in...
CHAPTER 4: I FORGOT THE NAME OF THIS CHAPTER!

Starwars

Arcane
This is great stuff! I actually haven't played Daggerfall since a few years after its release so this is a fun trip down memory-lane.

Man, this game was far from perfect, but it has some many neat ideas... It's a shame so many of them have been flat out removed instead of improved upon in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Lumpy

Arcane
copx said:
So what about another argument: if you need to ask for .torrent links you do not deserve to be a pirate! arrr!

Well, searching for Daggerfall is a bitch.
And, Vault Dweller, since when did you care about Bethesda want? Is calling Pete "full of shit" perfectly fine, but pirating his out-of-print games totally unacceptable?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lumpy said:
copx said:

Well, searching for Daggerfall is a bitch.
And, Vault Dweller, since when did you care about Bethesda want? Is calling Pete "full of shit" perfectly fine, but pirating his out-of-print games totally unacceptable?

Maybe because it still is illegal to do so?
Pirating is pirating, and the Codex is a place where we at least admit that we do it, but it doesn't mean we have to link to the stuff. Because it's illegal. So is rape, but we do it anyways. So whatever.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
And, Vault Dweller, since when did you care about Bethesda want?
Did I say that?

Is calling Pete "full of shit" perfectly fine...
Perfectly fine.

...but pirating his out-of-print games totally unacceptable?
There is a huge difference between expressing an [insulting] opinion and stealing shit. I really hope you understand that. I'm not judging anyone, and I'm sure you all have great and convincing reasons for stealing stuff, but do me a favor and share links elsewhere.

denizsi

Arcane
If Lumpy is courageous about giving the finger to Beth when it comes to Beth's property, let him open and maintain a site solely devoted to piracy of Beth games. Maybe he will learning the hard way why it might not be a good idea in the first place.

Lumpy

Arcane
denizsi said:
If Lumpy is courageous about giving the finger to Beth when it comes to Beth's property, let him open and maintain a site solely devoted to piracy of Beth games. Maybe he will learning the hard way why it might not be a good idea in the first place.
And please enlighten me, why would that be such a bad idea?
The only possible reason I could think of, would be the Codex losing some reputation among the developers (if that's even possible), and thus having a harder time getting interviews. But it's not like anyone is really taking time to talk to the Codex anyway, except for people like MCA and JE Sawyer.
By the way, how about an interview with a Daggerfall dev?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
The only possible reason I could think of, would be the Codex losing some reputation among the developers...
We don't support/encourage/approve of stealing games. Period. There is nothing else to it, no desire to please anyone or maintain our reputation.

But it's not like anyone is really taking time to talk to the Codex anyway, except for people like MCA and JE Sawyer.
What about out Witcher, Drakensang, Gothic 3 interviews? Dave Gaider or Feargus interviews? If there were more RPGs in development, there would have been more interviews.

Anyway, there is a really great -in my opinion - interview in the works. If everything goes well, it should be posted this weekend.

By the way, how about an interview with a Daggerfall dev?
It's kinda pointless because everything worth saying about the game had already been said.

I apologize for asking for the link. While VD said different, I don't want the Codex's reputation to suffer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom