Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let Starcraft 2 devs know it looks like anime shit

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Well, you make some good points that are hard to argue with, so I won't. I'm admittedly biased against the old 'who can rush who first/best' because to me it feels like that game is over before anything has really even begun. Then again, I've never gotten as truly competitive in those games as I have in SupCom/COH, so that might have a little to do with it.

But yeah, I guess I really can't blame them for being smart fuckers and playing it safe so they can make their money.(not as bitter as it reads)

denizsi

Arcane
Nice to see that some little things have changed in 3 months.

They should really focus on more originality and also provide an option to multiplay the complete SC+BW experience with the new engine.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Dude, it's Starcraft franchise. If you don't like it, or grown tired of it, don't buy it. Enough said. If I want something completely different, I try different franchises (SupCom is one of my favorite games).

Oh and:

WC3(SC with heroes)
Bullshit, sorry. It's a completely different game, different pacing, different dynamics, different strategies altogether. It's like comparing CoH to SupCom really.

Short interview with art director Samwise 'burns Didier.

I want to be <s>cynical</s> Codexian and dismiss this for the PR promo fluff piece it is, but all I can find is confirmation of why I still respect Blizzard as a gaming developer.

I'm growing soft.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Atrokkus said:
Dude, it's Starcraft franchise. If you don't like it, or grown tired of it, don't buy it. Enough said. If I want something completely different, I try different franchises (SupCom is one of my favorite games).

That seems to be the consensus that was reached, yeah.

Bullshit, sorry. It's a completely different game, different pacing, different dynamics, different strategies altogether. It's like comparing CoH to SupCom really.

SC with heroes was a dramatization, but I wouldn't say that it's like comparing CoH and SupCom at all. That would be dismissing the similarities WC3 has with SC almost altogether. The heroes in my opinion make a fundamental difference in the way the game is played, given that they brought in 'creeping,'and the like. However, dice are still rolled for damage, the focus is on meta strategy(not tactical placement), and unit counters.

At any rate, I'll digress, as I did admit that I'm not really the target audience for these games to begin with.

denizsi

Arcane
Stop being an oversensitive crybaby about it, Atrokkus. One might think that it's a wonder that you are open to the idea of a sequel at all. How much original can one get for a SC sequel which has a pretty much conservative audience anyway? Not this way; I thought the context would be obvious but apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, Well, I see room without making it "completely different", but some (most) of the logic with the revealed units in SC2 so far looks just retarded, to me at the least. Many units are inconsistent with the story given, and it looks more like a C&C spin off.

Oh, by the way, whatever is in that video interview, I haven't seen it. What's new?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Anyway, Well, I see room without making it "completely different", but some (most) of the logic with the revealed units in SC2 so far looks just retarded, to me at the least. Many units are inconsistent with the story given, and it looks more like a C&C spin off.
Haha what. You don't even know the story (nobody does yet), and you're judging them on the basis of their stylistical plausbility?

Also, the single-player has A LOT of innovation. It's pretty much something that Blizzard *never* done. Also, singleplayer will feature tons of extra units that will never be seen in multiplayer games.

denizsi

Arcane
Haha what. You don't even know the story (nobody does yet), and you're judging them on the basis of their stylistical plausbility?

Are you being a illiterate moron on purpose?

SC2 Stalker said:
Denied the support of the great forges and armories of Aiur, the dark templar were forced to find new ways to defend themselves from a hostile universe. By focusing their inner psionic strength and drawing power from the Void the dark templar learned to mask their presence and strike unseen from the shadows. The defiant exiles perfected techniques to spread terror and confusion among their enemies by assassinating leaders and destroying vital structures. Ultimately the dark templar came to rival even the mighty zealots in combat.

However, the overthrow of Aiur has proven that guile alone cannot defeat a foe as relentless as the zerg. Inspired by the ancient and honored dragoon walkers the dark templar have begun to build war machines of their own. The stalker is a machine controlled by the shadow-essence of a dark templar warrior fused into a metal body to protect his people.

There are about 20 more similar "snippets" for the units revealed so far and if these don't contribute to the "story given" for you, well, ok. Keep masturbating to how awesome everything StarCraft is and can ever be.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I wonder how they will improve the Ghost unit, it has almost not much use in multiplayer. In single player it's fun for a little nukelolz moments but not much else. Is there ever a terran nuclear launch in tourneys?

Annonchinil

Scholar
Ryuken said:
The squad game mechanic has been the best thing that has happened for small-scale RTS's in the last few years, pathfinding issues aside (but you got those with individual units as well, maybe even more). Some people don't like babysitting every single unit. E-sports and the micro-macro skill discussions are not my worries, I just want to have fun and those squad 'mini-factories' of DoW/CoH were brilliant, period.

Actually I find 'watch and wait' RTS games kind of boring, I like the sense that I could be doing something faster and better. Also most of the CoH units require a ton of 'babysitting' and I do not mean just micro-management but actual babysitting to prevent them doing something inexplicable or stupid; like infantry running under the threads of a tank that is retreating from them or the AT gun that is firing its shells one meter away from itself.

Kaiserin said:
I'm just not sure why Blizzard is still making these crappy resource grabbers where units mechanically hit each other back and forth. I would hope more RTS games were going the way of Company of Heroes/Supreme Commander, but it seems that Blizzard would rather make an overly accessible throwback.

I want units that lay down suppression fire while others push the line forward, dynamic terrain that actually affects combat, a cover system, and real time collision. Not a game that could have been made almost 10 years ago with more units.

I enjoy Company of Heroes but do not argue that it is inaccessible and hardcore and please please please go and play, say, Close Combat and then just shut up and shoot yourself for being so clueless. Its amazing how Relic failed at implementing elements that have existed in war games for quiet some time and then claimed them as 'innovative' or promoted CoH as 'realistic' and then have tards like you swallow it as such.

Personally I am looking forward to SC2 simply because I need a good traditional multiplayer RTS to be released. I could no longer stand CoH do to Relic’s failure to provide server stability, fix embarrassing bugs (5% being the worst) and the inevitable monthly 100mb balance patches that eventually ‘balanced’ the game into arty spam and blob tactics. I tried to get into SupCom with my $3 used no CD-Key version but the skirmish AI sucks and by some reason replays won’t work, so I am slowly going through the boring campaign. I just wish that I could see a full game of SupCom so I can get a feel for what the online of the game is like.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I enjoy Company of Heroes but do not argue that it is inaccessible and hardcore and please please please go and play, say,

I never said that COH was inaccessible, I said that SC2 was overly accessible. I also never said that I think COH is perfect, as a matter of fact I said just the opposite. I believe the words I used were:

I agree with this, and I must have miscommunicated if I put across the message that I think all new RTS games should follow the COH/Supcom model. They didn't get everything right, but that's pretty common when you're blazing a trail in a new direction.

Close Combat and then just shut up and shoot yourself for being so clueless. Its amazing how Relic failed at implementing elements that have existed in war games for quiet some time and then claimed them as 'innovative' or promoted CoH as 'realistic' and then have tards like you swallow it as such.

Close combat is a real time tactical game, and I'm used to seeing the things that it implemented in that genre. However, I'm not used to seeing them in real time strategy. CoH is by no means realistic, and I never said it was. I'm certainly not under the impression that battles in WW2 played out by the opposing forces building small field bases in a matter of seconds that spawned human beings/guns/tanks out of them.

At any rate, glad to see that you don't personally invest yourself or your opinion too much in games or what other people think of them. :wink:

Annonchinil

Scholar
I never said that COH was inaccessible, I said that SC2 was overly accessible.

If you don’t specifically state what your definitions of accessible are than your point is mute and open to interpretation, but I guess to you CoH is just at the right level? By what criteria is StarCraft more accessible than Company of Heroes? That in SC there is a more complex base building and resource gathering scheme, more micro and macro management, more units under your control and less intuitive unit counters and builds?

Close combat is a real time tactical game, and I'm used to seeing the things that it implemented in that genre. However, I'm not used to seeing them in real time strategy. CoH is by no means realistic, and I never said it was. I'm certainly not under the impression that battles in WW2 played out by the opposing forces building small field bases in a matter of seconds that spawned human beings/guns/tanks out of them.

So now you are arguing terminology of sub-genres? And anyways your quote was this:

I want units that lay down suppression fire while others push the line forward, dynamic terrain that actually affects combat, a cover system, and real time collision. Not a game that could have been made almost 10 years ago with more units

You made those elements sound new and novel, when they in no way are and have been (better) used in games for a long time. For your argument to make sense StarCraft would already have to be 'outdated' the day it was released. You also implied technical limitations of older hardware:

Not a game that could have been made almost 10 years ago

And yet more complex and better systems ran on them. Finally CoH might be the 1st time these mechanics were used in a strategy game (they aren't) with base building but they are combat mechanics that are easily translated and compared from one strategy game to another. Had you focused on something that is clearly exclusive to the 'pure' RTS genre, like the squad reinforcement system, than maybe you would have had a valid argument. Take the Total War series as an example and say the real-time component to it has always existed, and then another developer comes along and mixes it with an turn-based empire system. Would it be fair for them to take credit for the combat or should they take credit for mixing two genres?

At any rate, glad to see that you don't personally invest yourself or your opinion too much in games or what other people think of them.

I always find that if I don't insult somebody than my posts will go ignored.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
If you don’t specifically state what your definitions of accessible are than your point is mute and open to interpretation, but I guess to you CoH is just at the right level?

For most informal conversation I don't feel a need to strictly define what I'm saying. I rely on people to simply stick to what's written as opposed to what they read into it. If they aren't willing to do that, chances are I'm going to have a hard time communicating with them anyway.

What I was intending to say is that I think that SC2 is making compromises for the sake of drawing more players. I didn't make any qualitative commentary about the accessibility of CoH at all, and I'm not about to start to.

By what criteria is StarCraft more accessible than Company of Heroes? That in SC there is a more complex base building and resource gathering scheme, more micro and macro management, more units under your control and less intuitive unit counters and builds?

For one, it's being built to a low hardware spec. It's also sticking to an old tried and admittedly true formula. I'm not sure why you're so personally invested in the game and sore over such a vague statement to begin with though.

So now you are arguing terminology of sub-genres?

Much in the same way that you argued the semantics of 'overly accessible,' yes. I think it's significant difference in this case anyway. RTT's have been doing stuff for years that RTS games haven't really gotten into.

You made those elements sound new and novel, when they in no way are and have been (better) used in games for a long time. For your argument to make sense StarCraft would already have to be 'outdated' the day it was released. You also implied technical limitations of older hardware:

First and foremost, you seem fixated on what I 'made things seem like' and reading meaning into my writing that wasn't implicit or explicit. You're also making what's called a 'strawman argument,' as I never 'made these elements sound new and novel.' However, I did explicitly say that there are what 'I want.'

As an aside, real time collision and dynamic terrain are pretty new, and I'll eat my socks if you can show me an RTS or RTT game that featured both that was made before the year 1998.

Had you focused on something that is clearly exclusive to the 'pure' RTS genre, like the squad reinforcement system, than maybe you would have had a valid argument. Take the Total War series as an example and say the real-time component to it has always existed, and then another developer comes along and mixes it with an turn-based empire system. Would it be fair for them to take credit for the combat or should they take credit for mixing two genres?

This is a fair argument, though I think it's reading terribly deep into what little I did say. But, it's pretty reasonable, so I won't go on a tirade of rhetoric and try to flummox my way around it.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Starcraft is much easier to get into than CoH, but harder to get *good* at. You see, the "learning curve" is a very volatile idea -- usulaly what it does stand for is the time/effort you need in order to know how to play the game, and that's something you learn very fast in Starcraft, because the gameplay is pretty easy, all by itself. Just like you can be able to play basketball properly, but not at the level required by NBA. Mastering Starcraft is something you need to devote A LOT of time and hard work to -- months of it. And that's the beaty of it -- the skill gap between casual players and progamers is immense, just as immense as the skill diffference between Michael Jordan and some random short guy from your school.

Getting into Starcraft just to play with friends for fun is easier than in games like CoH and SupCom where the gameplay base is so immense you need to know a lot of theory in order to even play badly. Though perhaps this applies to a lesser extent to CoH as it is, indeed, not as imposing as SupCom. I mean, there's never a question "what do i do with it?" in the very first minute of the game of Starcraft. The more features you throw in, the harder it is to get into the game. Starcraft doesn't have a lot of features -- most of the "features" and tricks are not explicit, beginners are simple not aware of them. You can't possibly consider "heavy micro and macro" a feature, because it's not *REQUIRED* for playing, per se. Hell, you could even lower the game speed if you wish, and microing will become much easier. -

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
lol get it
zergidea.jpg

lol orcs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom