Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let Starcraft 2 devs know it looks like anime shit

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Oh man, so keen for SC2. Looks great.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Given the graphical style of WC3 and WoW, it makes sense that they would go for something vaguely "cartoony".
Also, having seen the gameplay vids, I think the game is looking graphically excellent. Maybe if I was a diehard SC fanatic I would care more about the graphical style being slightly different from the 2D "version", but for the moment it seems like a logical evolution.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
i just checked their site and it seems they redesigned the marines
What do you mean? The shields are an upgrade.
Maybe if I was a diehard SC fanatic I would care more about the graphical style being slightly different from the 2D "version", but for the moment it seems like a logical evolution.
It's more like the new graphical style is completely retarded.

Lurkar

Scholar
Again, I really don't see the anime style to it, and I'm an /a/sshole who watches the shit rather often.

I think it's just general neckbeard tears over how Starcraft 2 isn't an exact clone copy of Starcraft 1.

I definitely feel a change for the worse is occurring with regards to the visual style of the game. It's becoming some generic flashy, and badass type of flair that screams of kitsch like no tomorrow. Yay for everything in the gaming industry becoming the same shit.

For instance, look at the protoss concept art and how it appears very bendy, wavy, and has a lot of impressionistic style to it with colors sort of "bleeding" off the objects and not staying to a rigid shape. Totally in contrast to the original style which was very....solid. Zealots looked like big, beefy warriors who ran straight at their enemies in a stoic as fuck way. Now the protoss are all wavy and mystical looking. And the Terran ditched the gritty, almost salvaged, but practical, look for a shiny "we have too much damn time on our hands" look with everything nice and pretty looking. It's a total change, and it doesn't make sense in the confines of constant conflict and such that happens where ever these three races are.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
I took a gander over at the SC2 website and besides more glowy blue bits on Protoss units I see nothing that really changed from SC1 to SC2 besides the added dimension.

lawl @ sheeple claiming that Terran were gritty.

The_Pope

Scholar
Terrans were gritty in concept art and shiny in game. Just like in SC2.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Hey, looks like I'm not the only one who was unhappy. I just learned they put Firebats back in and have sized down the Thor, though it still looks retarded, and cut out the Cobra.
lawl @ sheeple claiming that Terran were gritty.
They were more like heavy industry rather than super smooth transforming mecha.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Hey, looks like I'm not the only one who was unhappy. I just learned they put Firebats back in and have sized down the Thor, though it still looks retarded, and cut out the Cobra.

Does Blizzard even know what they are doing? They remove old units, put new units in then remove the new units and put the old units back in.

kingcomrade said:
They were more like heavy industry rather than super smooth transforming mecha.

I don't notice much of a change in the Terran from SC1 to SC2. Let's say that is true though; is it really that big of a deal?

Hellraiser

Arcane
If you ask me the color palette used is too bright/shiny in most cases. Thor looks silly it just doesn't fit starcraft in my opinion. The siege tank in siege mode looks somewhat too hi-tech.

Other than that it looks like starcraft, the scale is the same, the style is mostly the same, the animations are the same.

Raapys

Arcane
Bah, it looks like a Starcraft mod for Warcraft3. Can't stand all the blocky models and flashy lights.

Lurkar

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Protoss were always faggots

Pretty much. I don't really see the "PROTOSS ARE TURNING INTO ELVES" bit since I'm pretty sure they still lack ears. All the protoss buildings look pretty much the same as they did before, only now they're more active - the portals shine on and off, different parts that looked like they were meant to revolve actually do so.

roshan

Arcane
I think the new look is more like a comic book than anime. Its shit.

Everything is too colourful, too shiny and too sleek.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Annonchinil said:
The funny thing is that the new designs remind me of an RTS game called Conquest: Frontier Wars (or something like that) in which the three races felt like clones of the the original StarCraft races.

Holy crap I loves this game.

Lurkar

Scholar
roshan said:
I think the new look is more like a comic book than anime. Its shit.

Everything is too colourful, too shiny and too sleek.

Well, that's what Samwise sees himself as. You have to remember, the "lead of art design" or whatever his title is basically a large hairy guy who likes comic books and bad 80's music.

Atrokkus

Erudite
First off, Samwise played a huge role in original Starcraft design, along with Metzen. Metzen's drawings, however, were a bit different -- his characters/vehicles were more dirty, in "used future" kind of way, so they kinda evened each other out. Regardless, the exaggerated style has been present throughout the entire franchise.

Samwise made a good point in one of the interviews -- the whole exaggeration thing serves one greater purpose: to make all units and buildings starkly distinct and unique in their appearance (as well as gameplay merits), so that even in the fiercest and blaziest of battles, one could tell exactly who's involved. Right now, however, Starcraft2 faces a different challenge -- too much graphical splendour and effects make it harder to distinguish units, even though they are all very easily recognizeable.

Blizzard already expressed their willingness to tone down the vibrant coloration, so I'm pretty confident that Starcraft2 will be just as good-looking and stylish as the original was. Besides, for those who are annoyed by overly flashy special effects, there are graphic options.

Also, concerning the visual concepts of certain units (esp. protoss), I've noticed that things are getting better. Take a look at this concept-art -- don't know about you, but I love this one. No superflous needless exageration, just pure grace and elegance. And very true to the original visual concept of the Protoss (refer to Starcraft:BW cutscenes and concept art).

Other examples of great concept arts:
zerg
marine
protoss units (notice how reavers depicted therein are completely identical to their SC:BW predecessors)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom