Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let Starcraft 2 devs know it looks like anime shit

Starwars

Arcane
If speaking on just the general look of how the game looks from above (I haven't compared the design of units yet), then I think they're nearly completely on the right track from Starcraft 1. Like others have pointed out, it's just a bit to colorful and not gritty enough.

Other than that, the overall visuals is almost exactly what I would want in my sequels. It's instantly recognizable as a Starcraft game as far as I can se, and hopefully the game will feel like a logical extension and improvement of the original game.
Of course, there are millions of ways to screw the gameplay up.

I really like that Marine concept art in the above post btw. Very nice.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't like the hydralisc concept art. The face looks much to "muscular" and fleshy, it me reminds me of a lion or some other big catlike mammal. And lions are...cute (In before Jasede).

They should look more scary, skully, insect-like, like in SC1.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Suck ass? they're overpowered at the moment (doesnt matter at this point, everything's bound to change a lot). Or you mean the graphics? I'm not into zerg graphics yet, but Protoss and Terran look so fucking awesome.

EDIT: i guess i know what you meant by "zerg suck" -- unit game design is kinda spotty so far, but then again they just got out of wraps for the first time, everything's subject to considerable changes.

Really just check this out:

Terrans BEFORE texture rehaul
and AFTER

big screenie 1
Hell, even jungle tileset looks cool now
another big screenie

Great work, Blizzard.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I'm just not sure why Blizzard is still making these crappy resource grabbers where units mechanically hit each other back and forth. I would hope more RTS games were going the way of Company of Heroes/Supreme Commander, but it seems that Blizzard would rather make an overly accessible throwback.

I want units that lay down suppression fire while others push the line forward, dynamic terrain that actually affects combat, a cover system, and real time collision. Not a game that could have been made almost 10 years ago with more units.

Lipton

Novice
Kaiserin said:
I'm just not sure why Blizzard is still making these crappy resource grabbers where units mechanically hit each other back and forth. I would hope more RTS games were going the way of Company of Heroes/Supreme Commander, but it seems that Blizzard would rather make an overly accessible throwback.

I want units that lay down suppression fire while others push the line forward, dynamic terrain that actually affects combat, a cover system, and real time collision. Not a game that could have been made almost 10 years ago with more units.

Because Starcraft is the best competitive RTS of all time and those other games aren't. It's the only RTS game that is played as a professional E-sport.

Resource based RTS games allow for harassment, Starcraft and Starcraft 2 are unique in that all 3 races are completely different from each other yet still balanced, there is perfect balance in the micro and macro needed to excel at games. Supreme Commander isn't balanced, Company of Heroes uses that horrible squad game dynamic that Warhammer 40k also uses. That kills micro and the importance of every unit.

Ryuken

Liturgist
The squad game mechanic has been the best thing that has happened for small-scale RTS's in the last few years, pathfinding issues aside (but you got those with individual units as well, maybe even more). Some people don't like babysitting every single unit. E-sports and the micro-macro skill discussions are not my worries, I just want to have fun and those squad 'mini-factories' of DoW/CoH were brilliant, period. And SupCom: FA is decently balanced, there are barely any complaints left about a faction being overpowered.

That being said, StarCraft II shouldn't mimick every new RTS gameplay feature of the past 10 years. I really didn't find that some of the CoH novelties for example were such a big plus for the genre. SCII should do its own thing although Blizzard is clearly going for a StarCraft I remake. I can't see anything to get excited about except for the new campaign, not even the new units and their special abilities look that innovative or thrilling.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's not necessarily a bad thing. Some people want precision. Some people want more control instead of some arbitrary 'damage range and miss/hit chances'

Have you ever seen Starcraft player use cover? Not actively.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Yeah the Zerg look rather retarded right now... Especially the lurkers, which are totally fuckin gimped. Gone are the spider-like nimble creatures, the very sight of which instilled fear in a player, just like the cannon fire of a siege tank in siege mode... (btw, they are yet to introduce that sound effect to SC2, and fuck im gonna be so pissed off if they dont - that was the scariest and powerful sound in the entire SC:BW).

But I'm pretty sure Zerg will go through a lot of rehauls and in the end of the day will be just as cool lookin as the other races are right now. Besides, the Corruptor is already fucking badass lookin. And yes it has TENTACLEZZ

OH and before anyone makes a stupid comment about the new Queen being a warcraftesque "hero", I want to point out that it is not that strong, and on tier 1 is only measly 100-something hit points with attack dmg of 9 or something, and the evolution upgrades cost quite a lot, and take time. However, in ZvZ it's going to be very fun, and will actually feel like a hero of some sort -- it can pretty much travel through creep all over the map, so you can easily harass your zerg opponent's base in a heartbeat, and cast "Toxic creep" (or something) on the worker line and it will hurt them real bad (toxic creep hurts both friendlies and hostiles). Also, zerg are stripped of their static defence buildings for now, which is an interseting touch, though at the moment I'm not sure it's balanced (but it will be of course).

Atrokkus

Erudite
Actually from what I read over at sclegacy the zerg have turrets it's just that the queen places them. They cost 50 or 75 minerals. I think they did that so that you don't have to build a drone each time you want a creep/spore/sunken colony like in SC.
I know that, and that's entirely different, and entails completely different early game play, which was demonstrated in Saviour vs Bisu ZvP match that monday. Bisu hammered saviour with a simple zealot rush, and eventually bled teh zerg out. The Shriekers just aren't exactly good replacements for sunkens.

FaranBrygo

Educated
Dear god, Starcraft 2 looks like a fat pile of bloomy shit.

The art design reminds me of a game made in 1998 or so. There was an alien and a human side. The game even had passage of time so there was night and day. The humans attacked better in the day and the aliens at night. SC2 looks exactly like that but with a fat lot of neon and bloom.

vrok

Liturgist
Atrokkus said:
I know that, and that's entirely different, and entails completely different early game play, which was demonstrated in Saviour vs Bisu ZvP match that monday. Bisu hammered saviour with a simple zealot rush, and eventually bled teh zerg out. The Shriekers just aren't exactly good replacements for sunkens.
He didn't build a single one of those nor swarm clutches that game because he didn't even build a queen. Neither did he build roaches. He just played it safe with old units and since hydras have been moved to lair tech he deserved to get fucked for it. The eatgod vs kimcarry games (the second one, specifically) demonstrate the defenses better. Though they still look weak, they're apparently very cheap.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 88205.html

About the look, I don't think any of the units look really terrible currently. I just dislike the zealot ninja running animation and the fatness of the hatchery.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FaranBrygo said:

The art design reminds me of a game made in 1998 or so. There was an alien and a human side. The game even had passage of time so there was night and day. The humans attacked better in the day and the aliens at night. SC2 looks exactly like that but with a fat lot of neon and bloom.
too obvious, try harder

ehh fucking trolls

Atrokkus

Erudite
He didn't build a single one of those nor swarm clutches that game because he didn't even build a queen. Neither did he build roaches. He just played it safe with old units and since hydras have been moved to lair tech he deserved to get fucked for it.
Well ya that's true, because apparently that PvZ was his first SC2 match ever. Second game he played was a ZvT vs bisu again and there he actually used the queen.

Btw, got a linkie to other gosu SC2 VODs? So far ive only seen bisu vs saviour

vrok

Liturgist
Yeah but he only built 1-2 defenses when the drop occurred. Not much on display there.

Haven't found any other that's even non-staged in-game footage besides this one and the one I linked previously, despite my hardest efforts. Sorry.

Ryuken

Liturgist
FaranBrygo said:

Dark Colony, end of 1997 you mean? Well, I am sure the visuals will get better, just look at some of the StarCraft alpha shots, they were nothing like the final product.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Every SC2 video I've seen looks like a roach invasion. Sometimes bigger isn't better.

P.S. I'm buying it the day it comes out.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
SCII should do its own thing although Blizzard is clearly going for a StarCraft I remake.

I agree with this, and I must have miscommunicated if I put across the message that I think all new RTS games should follow the COH/Supcom model. They didn't get everything right, but that's pretty common when you're blazing a trail in a new direction. If more people were willing to play with the idea and get the kinks worked out, great things could happen.

However, in this specific instance, when I look back at all of the games that Blizzard has made, they haven't changed a lot since SC1. You've got Diablo(click stuff til it dies), Diablo 2(click stuf til it dies more), SC(first well rounded RTS with unique races), WC1(not awesome, even for it's time) WC2(I thought it was neat, but I was 8), WC3(SC with heroes), and now Starcraft 2, which looks a whole lot like WC3 in space with somewhat better graphics. Really, I'm just convinced that their 'awesome batting record' is fueled by nostalgia.

I guess my complaint is that it seems to me as if though they're leaning more towards making the same thing with bigger/better/more in it, instead of breaking out of the box like they did with SC1 to begin with.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
SC1 wasn't exactly a groundbreaking RTS game in the first place. It's only innovation was the use of 3 races instead of 2.

It's not WHAT Blizzard does, its HOW they do it.See WoW vs. crappy WoW ripoffs like LOTRO.

vrok

Liturgist
Kaiserin said:
I guess my complaint is that it seems to me as if though they're leaning more towards making the same thing with bigger/better/more in it, instead of breaking out of the box like they did with SC1 to begin with.
That's because that's exactly what the fans like myself wants. More SC. Not something completely different. Since they have an e-sport crowd to please as well this becomes even more important. They won't forgive kinks needing to be worked out when they can play SC1 instead and forget SC2 even exists. Blizzard has an entire team devoted to promoting e-sports in their games. They're doing everything they can to make SC2 succeed in this area. I count 5 mentions of competitive in that job ad. Not fun, not innovative, competitive.

What you want is appropriate for a new RTS series. Not SC. I'm all for them dumping WC for future RTSes and go replace it with something new and more interesting and innovate in gameplay, but it shouldn't be an SC title because of what's expected of it. Blizzard knew this going in.

BTW, nostalgia has nothing to do with SC. It's still one of if not the most played RTS, 10 years after its release. CoH/SupCom/DoW/CnC3/whatever is just a fart in the wind in comparison. WC3 would be the only one I can think of that can even begin to compare when it comes to activity, but it still fails in the e-sports activity because of its inferior gameplay, which is inferior because of its advancements. DotA is where the activity comes from.

shihonage said:
SC1 wasn't exactly a groundbreaking RTS game in the first place. It's only innovation was the use of 3 races instead of 2.
Correction, 3 completely different yet balanced races. Most RTSes failed to provide even 2 completely different races. In fact, most RTSes to this day still fail to provide as differing races.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom