Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Leaked Project Eternity WIP screenshots at GameStar.de

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's still about equal to or more than the number of unique models that the Infinity Engine uses for player characters.
it also only had one male warrior, one female rogue, and one male wizard. BG has male and female variants for dwarves, elves, humans, gnomes, and halflings, as well as warriors, rogues, priests, and wizards.

Zeriel

Arcane
And they all use the same models for the most part. The game generally only cares about race + armor type. There are some exceptions (mages who somehow wear plate look more like splint mail, et cetera), but in the end the number of unique models is not higher than Diablo, let alone Divine Divinity. They just look bad, aside from questions of quantity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And they all use the same models for the most part. The game generally only cares about race + armor type. There are some exceptions (mages who somehow wear plate look more like splint mail, et cetera), but in the end the number of unique models is not higher than Diablo, let alone Divine Divinity. They just look bad, aside from questions of quantity.

I think the point is that it may be easier to make unique models that look good than it is to make one model that looks good with everything.

Name

Cipher
It's better to have aliasing that can be reduced in later iteration then to have photoshopped screenshots to garner brofists.

hiver

It may be they are early models, used only for these purposes and testing and you dont know what WiP means.

Gord

Arcane
Yes, I think the models still need work, e.g. to make them integrate better with the backgrounds, esp. lighting-wise.

Other than that it looks good, but after what we saw in some of the vids they released, it will likely look much better in motion - with animations and lighting effects in place.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love it when some news posts act like a reaction paper for a chemist kit for detecting stupidity levels.

skallagrim

Lurker since the beginning of time
OH NO, YOU DIDN'T.

Oh, yes I did :hero:

I believe that the combat system are better since it emulates the chaos of real combat in a way that is impossible to replicate in TB. The game as a whole on the other hand was a clusterfuck that needed excessive patching and modding (Blue Sun Mod) to be enjoyable.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The only thing I can conclude from looking at those screenshots is that P:E still looks like it's at least five years away from release.

hiver

OH NO, YOU DIDN'T.

Oh, yes I did :hero:

I believe that the combat system are better since it emulates the chaos of real combat in a way that is impossible to replicate in TB.
The point of Turn Based systems isnt and never was - to try to emulate the chaos of "real" combat (double roofles for thinking other combat systems emulate real combat effectively, like when in RTwP you pause to issue orders :lol: ), nor action, nor speed - you moron.

That was never its purpose nor - verily - its very mechanics were ever built for those features. Isnt that so?

Instead TB system concentrates on tactics and successful predictions of enemies moves in advance, while it strongly enhances the importance of skills and equipment - rather then player reflexes.
Its point is - to let you play on the same level of time passage as the computer does. And contemplate the odds and circumstances, sometimes even use environment - to come up with good set of tactical moves. And then to execute them and adapt to changes on the fly.

/

- now begone - newfag- ... ponder these mystic revelations in the dark of your cave... and speak crazy bullshitz no more.

skallagrim

Lurker since the beginning of time
The point of Turn Based systems isnt and never was - to try to emulate the chaos of "real" combat (double roofles for thinking other combat systems emulate real combat effectively, like when in RTwP you pause to issue orders :lol: ), nor action, nor speed - you moron.

That was never its purpose nor - verily - its very mechanics were ever built for those features. Isnt that so?

Instead TB system concentrates on tactics and successful predictions of enemies moves in advance, while it strongly enhances the importance of skills and equipment - rather then player reflexes.
Its point is - to let you play on the same level of time passage as the computer does. And contemplate the odds and circumstances, sometimes even use environment - to come up with good set of tactical moves. And then to execute them and adapt to changes on the fly.

/

- now begone - newfag- ... ponder these mystic revelations in the dark of your cave... and speak crazy bullshitz no more.

I'm sorry to say it but the dumbfuck tag seems well deserved. Have you even tried 7.62 High Calibre? (preferable with Blue Sun Mod since the original was buggy as hell) You can add triggers for close to everything so there is absolutely NO need for any reflexes and the pause system works more or less exactly as the turns do in Jagged Alliance, it enables the player to issue orders to several units at the same time in the same way as the computer does it. This makes maneuvers like bounding overwatch and corridor backwards more essential and life like and it makes it possible to do classic mistakes like running in before your own grenade have exploded while assaulting a room because you believed it already had exploded, duel situations gets more interesting since everyone more or less acts at the same time. I.e. chaos and sensory overload.

Sure most of this is possible to emulate in a TB system as JA2 1.13 proves rather well but this adds another layer of abstraction and you lose the sense of chaos. Also, the basic system in 7.62 is rather simple (even if it has many parameters). Every action has a time cost and this time cost is then modified by the characters skills, stress, health, experience, etc.

I believe that the problem with RTwP is not the system per se but the execution. The infinity engine shows for example how bad it gets when you try to retrofit a TB system as a RTwP system and games like Dragon Age and it's likes are not even worth mentioning since they are designed for borderline retards. 7.62 High Caliber had a excellent combat system but the other parts of the game was abysmal. JA2 Back in action tried to implement something similar as 7.62 but they failed miserably.

Cynic

Arcane
Put in some shadows and AA and it looks just like ToEE. This is the (grapfixwhore) incline that was promised.

A user named cat

Shots look okay though unfinished, but I wish they had that Stasis artist doing the environments. Hell, what about the guys who did the 2D art for games like Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood or the Commandos series? Can only imagine how amazing it could look.

Veering off-topic but that reminds me; fuck Pyro studios and their incredible decline. Was hoping for a proper Commandos sequel some day but that looks out of the question. Would be nice to get a similar game though, can't believe I haven't seen anything like those series from even Kickstarter or has there been one?

Cynic

Arcane
Nah, Toee has better backgrounds.

Could be, but have to wait and see what these look like at full resolution and after being finished after post processing. I don't think we were meant to see these at such an early stage. The first screen in the town type setting looks pretty good to me. The camp looks cool too.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Could we please have characters that grip weapons with more than surface tension? kthxbye

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom