Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Leaked Project Eternity WIP screenshots at GameStar.de

Stabwound

Arcane
The pictures looked way better before I clicked the thumbnails. Why is it so blurry?

Game should be good regardless.

sser

Arcane
Developer
bigimage.jpg

"Rivers of blackness braided through the wasteland. The rocks before us were but earthen capillaries risen from dark and darker yet. We could hear armor and weapons rattling in the abyss, whispering old tales of battle. The wind gently passed over our shoulders, and then returned with the urgency of bad news. Howling dust spouts carried ancient ashes. Before we had left the place, each of us was smeared in the grime that time had made of our forefathers. Not one of us dared wipe it clean, but instead awaited the grace of good rain of which we did not drink a drop."

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Architecture of buildings looks a little too stylized, and the terrain is smeared and photoshoppy. Whatever. It's okay, but not multiple orgasm worthy.

That is most likely down to the fact that it is early. You do not make a super detailed map with every thing in it until later in case it get's thrown out or needs to be changed. You do not start the hand crafting of a map until you are 100% that it will be part of the game and that it will not be changed. Right now all they need are basics that shows it how a location will most likely look with non of the extra junk that makes a map interesting to look at.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pics of original IWD assets?
I'm speculating here, but the trees and grass look like they were ripped right out of an IE game and resized to be bigger. Since I know Obsidian bought the assets for IWD, I put a couple puzzle pieces together.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The older screenshot they posted a while ago with the big magitech thing actually looked just like out BG2.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeh I was gonna say JPEG compression. JPEG files also get worse every time they are opened. The original Project Eternity screenshots on the website have degraded quite a bit in quality since they were released too.

They should fucking do them in PNG.

Same area?

Yes. Obviously not finished as there's no water (or they may have cut the waterfall there).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
JPEG files also get worse every time they are opened. The original Project Eternity screenshots on the website have degraded quite a bit in quality since they were released too.

what

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
LOL whoops typo

JPEG files also get worse every time they are opened. The original Project Eternity screenshots from the website have degraded quite a bit in quality since they were released too.

jpg degrades every time it is opened and saved, so when various other sites save the PE screenshot on their website the quality is worse.

Those are probably not the original screenshot files, and one of them in particular looks to have suffered a lot of jpeg degradation

garren

Arcane
Patron
Maybe Obsidian could make a sort of spinoff series set in the Eternity world using the same engine and sharing assets, in an entirely different part of the world, except it would be turnbased. Kinda like Baldur's gate series and Icewind dale, except turnbased would be incorporated to the second series. That way all the bioware rejects and turnbased fans could be happy.

Rake

Arcane
But Tim Cain said that they design the system from the ground up with RTwP in mind. I can't see how it could be work in TB, at least not a good one.

garren

Arcane
Patron
But they wanted a game that was greatly inspired by Infinity Engine games, a game fueled by nostalgia of the old games. After that's done, I don't see no reason to try out something a little different, unless Obsidian is afraid that turnbased sells much less than realtime with pause. Wasteland 2 is turnbased and Inxile is sharing assets with Obsidian already, using the same engine to boot.

EDIT: I have no idea how much time and work would implementing a TB system to the game take. If realtime with pause is so ingrained to the whole system that changing it would be too costly, then of course it would be pretty useless. Eh, it was just an idea anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But Tim Cain said that they design the system from the ground up with RTwP in mind. I can't see how it could be work in TB, at least not a good one.

I think the point is, "Why didn't they design it up from the ground up to be TB".

The answer to that is, they wanted to make Infinity Engine-style games, and besides the nostalgia factor, those games had a bit too much "trash" combat to be fully comfortable in TB. (I put the word "trash" in quotes because I don't entirely agree with its pejorative connotations. The world needs its kobold-infested mines too.)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Strangely, I'm down with RTwP in PE. The clincher is the ironic fact that every other non mainstream RPG seems to be going TB these days and this would be something different. Really though, RTwP doesn't have to be the RTS modified engine clusterfuck that it was in ye olde days. It is quite possible to make a good combat system in this format and being pausable it makes it pretty close to TB anyway. The big thing is the AI of course, so that at least it doesn't do dumb shit like bow armed characters moving to melee range or the like. So long as basic things are automated reasonably well, it puts the focus in the RTwP system on the actual tactics of combat and thus makes it not unlike a more dynamic TB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom