Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Are you ready? :) I have to apologize, but it seems, that we will be little bit late.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Two hours later, the website is updated... with "New info coming soon. Please watch this space. "

Good job!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's very unfortunate that no publisher wanted to fund this game. I feel that it will suffer for it. Games like this are meant to have a large budget and AAA production values, and definitely not be episodic... $500,000 if also a lot to ask for on KS.

Oh well, I'll pitch in for the digital copy in any case.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Oh, NeoGAF. In response to a guy who said that Kingdom Come's combat looked like shit:

It's a RPG, combat should be the last focus it gets. There are far more important things to worry about with RPG design.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, NeoGAF. In response to a guy who said that Kingdom Come's combat looked like shit:

It's a RPG, combat should be the last focus it gets. There are far more important things to worry about with RPG design.
GAF
G A F
G A
A
A G
F A G
NeoFAG

There must be a KS error or something. Doesn't make sense why this would be so postponed otherwise.
Must be annoying for the guys at Warhorse. They'll probably pull an all-nighter.

ColCol

Arcane
Oh look, another kickstarter, how nice. The world is wonderful.

SophosTheWise

Cipher

GAF
G A F
G A
A
A G
F A G
NeoFAG

There must be a KS error or something. Doesn't make sense why this would be so postponed otherwise.
Must be annoying for the guys at Warhorse. They'll probably pull an all-nighter.

Seems likely, though they still may also have problems with their servers. It's a bit careless and rushed. They've announced "it's coming!" like two or three times today, following another delay. It's good that they are quiet for now. I think it doesn't make sense for them to post this tonight, as it's 02:20 in Prague. They'll probably wait until 2 in the afternoon when everybody in their target group is online. At least that's what I'd do.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
So, I just received an email by Warhorse. It's definitely a kickstarter. Downloading the trailer right now, though the speed is abysmal. The problem seems to be Kickstarter as they still don't have the URL yet.

rqx8p4d.jpg

Trailer looks pretty cool, especially the parts with warhorses, sieges and large scale battles. Really, it looks promising.

Today Warhorse Studios launched a Kickstarter for Kingdom Come: Deliverance, the AAA PC and next-gen console title slated for a 2015 release.

Game Director and Lead Designer Dan Vávra explains: “So far US$1.5m has been invested into Kingdom Come: Deliverance, largely from a single investor outside the games industry. This is a big and expensive game, and we could hardly hope to raise the entire budget needed on Kickstarter alone. Since game publishers are not throwing money at us, we’ve made a deal with our investor: if we raise the relatively reasonable sum of US$500k, it is proof for him that the game has potential, and he would continue to finance us. Anything over the sum we’re asking for will allow us to create additional content and a better overall product.”

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm not backing a game depending on one (unknown) millionaire philanthropist.

Tigranes

Arcane
The millionaire has been investing in the game for quite a while now, helping fund its development and its search for a publisher. Now, he/she has clearly said, I can't fund the whole thing, but I do want to see it happen, I'm willing to do it if you Kickstart. I don't really see what the problem is, if he/she was going to mess with the process they would already have done so.

hiver

And it will very clearly and definitely show is there actual people, actual customers that would want something like that.
kickstarter is a kind a decent basic litmus test of that sort eh?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Warhorse Studios, Prague, EU
I am surprisingly angry with this.

I'm not backing a game depending on one (unknown) millionaire philanthropist.
Not unknown, it's Bakala. Hardly a philanthropist. More like white collar criminal.

EDIT:
All crafting occurs in-game, using clever minigames, rather then boring, soulless menus.
It's like that "controller is the best input device" thing all over again.

Crabcz

Novice
Yes, the investor is Zdenek Bakala and he's a billionaire. They kickstart because he didn't become a billionaire by being a Samaritan. It's a cheap marketing tool that pays for itself and a good gauge of the projects potential.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not really sure about that. $500k is pretty low even when compared to 2D old school revivals and this is powered by CE3 and is going to be marketed as Skyrim killer.
I'm not really convinced that they are going to gather anywhere close to the most successful KS campaigns but reaching their goal shouldn't be a problem.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
RPG features mentioned in the kickstarter vid (for what its worth):

- non linear quest with multiple solutions
- branching dialogue (duh)
- stats, skills and perks (haha)
- 4 layers of cloth and 16 equipable slots
- crafting like blacksmithing, alchemy and cooking
- need to eat and sleep to stay healthy
- food gets spoiled if its in inventory for too long

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dungeons & No Dragons... hehe.

But ultimately, I guess this will become the proof for the age old "can you make a successful RPG without (heavy) fantasy elements" -debate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom