Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Jagged Alliance is now owned by Nordic Games

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
maybe. but their game neither pleased the fandom nor sold decently (or at all). I wonder whose fault is this...

Yes, they dumbed down thing in Blackguards 2. And now look how well it went. The game was -75% two months after release.

Sure, the thing is, Blackguards 1 didn't sell so well either.
Squad based TBT is a genre where little money can be made, which is kind of sad.

Archibald

Arcane
Blackguard 2 even has slightly better reviews, but difference in sales in shocking to say the least.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
wow. I knew Blackguards 2 bombed hard, but ten times less sales? Truly, a decline not only in gameplay.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Same would go for JA 2 if it would have been released nowadays.
"Booohoo, no tutorial, wuhooo, the enemies start with better gear than i do, baaawaaaa, i get actually punished for not moving my ass"
Except hardly any of these is true.
Tutorial is a matter of making a tutorial mission and I don't think lack of it is important part of "Jagged Alliance 2 experience".
The very fist enemies are not really well-geared, until the first counter-attacks for Drassen are here.
Not moving your ass stops being an issue once you get decent AR's or Sniper rifles, attack in the daytime and spot properly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure a Codex-pleasing Blackguards 2 would have sold as much as Blackguards 1 did either. This could very well have been a Grimrock-type situation - lots of people checked out the first game because it looked cool, most didn't like it enough to buy the sequel.

Still, I'm sure there's something they could have done better, because those numbers are beyond atrocious.

deuxhero

Arcane
Most of the people I see praising Blackguards 1 off the codex compare it more to Final Fantasy Tactics and such than any squad tactics games like Jagged Alliance. Maybe the strategic elements over the tactical ones turned people off.

Oh and Blackguards 1 also had a really massive demo (though it hasn't gotten any of the major updates the game itself got). I think that might have gotten a bunch more sales.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Nah.

It was a mix of incredibly dull early game and tactics going retardo. The first thing killed all non-hardcore fags, the second - all the hardcore ones. They've made a game for nobody, that was their problem.

butchy

Prospernaut
Blackguard 2 even has slightly better reviews, but difference in sales in shocking to say the least.

I'm not sure a Codex-pleasing Blackguards 2 would have sold as much as Blackguards 1 did either. This could very well have been a Grimrock-type situation - lots of people checked out the first game because it looked cool, most didn't like it enough to buy the sequel.

Still, I'm sure there's something they could have done better, because those numbers are beyond atrocious.

BG2 had a lot better reviews, the issue is the made the game to please dummies, they completed gutted the core mechanic of TDE. They didn't make a game for the fans of BG1, they made a game for the people who disliked BG1 and that is just dumb.

I'm not sure what would please the codex besides extra controller support and a console port, so I don't understand that part. But I know myself, and a lot of people on the steam forums would have bought it if they made a BG2 instead of a non-TDE game for dummies.

I think the sales would have been better if they doubled down on making a game for people of average intelligence and didn't remove the TDE mechanics, and also went the JA to JA2 route of adding more rpg elements and trying to make the game a strategy rpg instead of the atrocity that it is.

:Flash:

Arcane
That's certainly true to some extent, but according to that steamspy thing three times as many people played Blackguards 1 compared to Blackguards 2 in the last two weeks.

Severian Silk

Blackguards 1 was p good. Haven't played Blackguards 2.

Archibald

Arcane
Tutorial is a matter of making a tutorial mission and I don't think lack of it is important part of "Jagged Alliance 2 experience".
The very fist enemies are not really well-geared, until the first counter-attacks for Drassen are here.
Not moving your ass stops being an issue once you get decent AR's or Sniper rifles, attack in the daytime and spot properly.

This reminds me of video where Miyamoto explains how they made Mario's 1-1 level. When you play it, it doesn't feel like tutorial level (obviously asides of being easy), but all the stuff was placed on purpose so that player would get general idea of what to expect from the game. As I understand it was also last level to be made, after whole game was made and tested, which is something that I think many developers don't do since usually tutorial levels feel completely detached from overall game.

Perkel

Arcane
This reminds me of video where Miyamoto explains how they made Mario's 1-1 level. When you play it, it doesn't feel like tutorial level (obviously asides of being easy), but all the stuff was placed on purpose so that player would get general idea of what to expect from the game. As I understand it was also last level to be made, after whole game was made and tested, which is something that I think many developers don't do since usually tutorial levels feel completely detached from overall game.

Actually that is standard now in almost all AAA studios and it wasn't Miyamoto who popularized it but Cerny with his method to how aproach developement. Pre Cerny there were naturally people who used it but after Cerny most of big studios started to use it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
One could also argue that tutorial missions are good for sophisticated games because they allow introducing mechanics and gear in a separate part of the game instead of creeping introduction of stuff during game proper.

Not to mention that the original JA2 had Drassen counter-attack disabled.

By the way, I always despised the pistol start of JA2. It didn't make any sense. It would make sense if the mercs would have to infiltrate into Arulco without starting fights but they get dropped into a warzone from the start.

Also, since the enemies have a massive advantage of numbers, what's the point of giving them better gear than the merc team?

Ninjerk

Arcane
To make it HAAARDDDD

(seriously, though, pistol wielding mercs? dunno bout that)

Athelas

Arcane
By the way, I always despised the pistol start of JA2. It didn't make any sense. It would make sense if the mercs would have to infiltrate into Arulco without starting fights but they get dropped into a warzone from the start.

Also, since the enemies have a massive advantage of numbers, what's the point of giving them better gear than the merc team?
Enemies in (unmodded) JA2 don't drop the weapons and armor they use, so there's no downside to giving them better equipment (if they did drop it, the downside would be that the player would be able to loot it and become powerful too easily).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Enemies in (unmodded) JA2 don't drop the weapons and armor they use, so there's no downside to giving them better equipment (if they did drop it, the downside would be that the player would be able to loot it and become powerful too easily).
Not dropping weapons is another thing I despise about it.

It doesn't make sense to take on enemy force that has superiority both in numbers and quality.

I would envision the Arulcan army as something similar to the one seen in intro - massively outdated, using Vietnam war era American equipment (which is 30+ years old, possibly badly maintained).

Mercs should be the ones using superior equipment - modern firearms, body armour, night vision gear, etc.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The problem is that the game would be too easy this way.

Your mercs are and will be better than anybody they can possibly oppose unless your team is made of Biffs and Haywires.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Or whatever the patch number is, I've forgotten now possibly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom