Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Jagged Alliance is now owned by Nordic Games

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, fuck JA fans for wanting a good game :lol:

mondblut

Arcane
The way things are heading, in 10 years JA IP rights will be peddled by a dirty hobo on a backwater flea market, for some spare change. With no one buying.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The way things are heading, in 10 years JA IP rights will be peddled by a dirty hobo on a backwater flea market, for some spare change. With no one buying.
Possible, but by then 1.14 will come out from Bears Pit and it will have 2 new continents to explore plus all weapons that existed in the history of mankind, including spears, swords and bows

Severian Silk

I have no hopes for the future of Jagged Alliance. Please. Let it rest in peace.
If they hired some coders to modernize the graphics engine that would be great. I want 32-bit sprites!!

m_s0

Arcane
Going just by FC's comments you could get the impression that the Jagged Alliance fanbase is a bunch of raging, death threat-sending fanboy assholes, while in reality the harshest comment JA:F ever got on the BP is something along the lines of 'It plays like a shoddy early alpha. Could we have some tools to fix and finish it for you, please?'

I bet Nordic is grateful to FC for carrying out the scorched earth approach to public relations to the bitter end, though. Can't have it too easy, you see.

Nostaljaded

Savant
All mercs with devolution, except for Drunk Larry aka the clever are too smart for their own sake, only the alcoholic gets to party.

Been meaning to post some newbie instructions on playing close to 'Vanilla' experience in 1.13 to have your cake, and eat it too.
Someday man... someday.

If they hired some coders to modernize the graphics engine that would be great. I want 32-bit sprites!!
There's already 24bit PNG support for title and loading screens... 256-colour palette PNG animated portraits... public 1.13 code... indie developers here... fundraising done here before...

Hmmm...

Severian Silk

I didn't know there was fundraising for 1.13! They should have invested in some rigged character animations since that is limiting lots of cool new stuff.

Nostaljaded

Savant
I didn't know there was fundraising for 1.13! They should have invested in some rigged character animations since that is limiting lots of cool new stuff.
Nostaljaded said:
indie developers here... fundraising done here before...
I meant the kickstarter fundraising for high-tier rewards in Kodex.

On a related note, the fundraising done so far is for the STI Editor.

Delbaeth

Learned
I know JA's rights are a mess, but are Nordic Games only owning JA for new games? Old JA pages of gog are still with Interplay and Strategy First.

Sure NG have made many rereleases, but I didn't think that Demons of the Past (the last Spellforce 2 expansion) was bad (at least, I can excuse the old engine, and it was more for old fans than to really revive the IP; I keep being caustious about Spellforce 3, because while I am not really a fan of RTS-RPG - especially without pause - anymore, if the game is good, why not?). The same for publishing the Book of Unwritten Tales series: very good (and easy) PnC for old fans who haven't played PnC for years.

I don't think NG is the worst publisher to acquire JA's rights. Maybe something good will happen.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, few months ago. But they're back. Don't remember what was the reason to pull out them in the first place.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
In related news, Nordic also acquires Codename: Panzers franchise from NeocoreGames: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-09-24-nordic-acquires-codename-panzers-franchise

18 months after picking up Cold War, publisher grabs rest of real-time tactics series from Neocoregames

Nordic Games has added another PC strategy intellectual property to its ever-expanding portfolio of offerings. The company today announced that it had completed its collection of Codename: Panzer games, acquiring the remaining two entries and outstanding rights to the IP from Neocoregames.

Nordic already owned the rights to Codename: Panzers - Cold War (the third game in the series), which it purchased from German firm MAKE Projects UG last year. The franchise of real-time tactics games set in World War II was originally developed by defunct Hungarian studio Stormregion.

"The constant expansion and diversification of our portfolio always has been a top priority for our long-term strategy," said Nordic business and product development director Reinhard Pollice. "Having a broad portfolio of IPs guarantees us a comfortable revenue stream, which in turn supports our true cause and our passion: make great games. The Codename Panzers series is known for delivering extraordinaire strategic gameplay with tactical depth and therefore was a perfect fit for our game portfolio."

Since 2011, Nordic has been aggressive in its pursuit of IP, acquiring JoWooD and The Adventure Company outright, then grabbing adventure games from dtp Entertainment, Desperadoes and Silver from Atari, and a host of THQ properties including Darksiders, Red Faction, the MX series, de Blob, and the THQ trademark itself. This year alone, Nordic has acquired the rights to Nexus, Jagged Alliance, and Men of Valor.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm impressed at how simultaneously snarky and insecure this comment is.

He is sort-of right though.

A game that pleases the Fandom of JA2 would need quite a bit of money for a good AI, Squad-System and Story.
A game that pleases the fandom of JA2 would probably also sell rather poor, because "gamers" nowaday consist mostly of wannabes and faggot-crybabies who can't stand anything more difficult than pressing a button when told so.

Remember Blackguards 1 and the Butthurt among reviewers because it was "to difficult".
Same would go for JA 2 if it would have been released nowadays.
"Booohoo, no tutorial, wuhooo, the enemies start with better gear than i do, baaawaaaa, i get actually punished for not moving my ass"

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
He is sort-of right though.

A game that pleases the Fandom of JA2 would need quite a bit of money for a good AI, Squad-System and Story.
A game that pleases the fandom of JA2 would probably also sell rather poor, because "gamers" nowaday consist mostly of wannabes and faggot-crybabies who can't stand anything more difficult than pressing a button when told so.
maybe. but their game neither pleased the fandom nor sold decently (or at all). I wonder whose fault is this...

Remember Blackguards 1 and the Butthurt among reviewers because it was "to difficult".
Same would go for JA 2 if it would have been released nowadays.
"Booohoo, no tutorial, wuhooo, the enemies start with better gear than i do, baaawaaaa, i get actually punished for not moving my ass"
Yes, they dumbed down thing in Blackguards 2. And now look how well it went. The game was -75% two months after release.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yes, they dumbed down thing in Blackguards 2. And now look how well it went. The game was -75% two months after release.

It's the perfect example to show developers that they should never listen to journos, if it for some reason wasn't obvious before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom