Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IWD2 source code lost, Beamdog is sad

Glop_dweller

Prophet
There was a belt of gender reversal in Baldur's Gate IIRC.

My biggest peeve with IWDII was the AI reaction to successful stealth (or use of invisibility) by a pursued party member. As soon as the character disappears, the entire mob targets the rest of the party members... even if they were never encountered, and are on the opposite side of the map, behind obstructions. The AI enemies will conga-line their way to the party's spell casters via the most direct path, through even the most twisted labyrinth... to a destination logically unknown to them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm going to dig up this thread and shit all over it to ask --- How feasible would it be for Owlcat to rip all the assets out of IW2 and dump them into the Kingmaker engine?

DND 3.0 and PF rules sets are close enough that the game experience would be more or less the same.
The engines feel different. Sensuki would not champion Kingmaker/Righteous Wrath. It'd be more faithful to just remake IWD2 in the Infinity Engine (that'd take quite a bit of work though :P)

AliceAlcina

Learned
At this point, I would prefer remake rather than remaster.
I believe CD projekt has source files, but they are too dumb to tell anyone. They are exactly kind of tool that would have source files, while not knowing they have source files.

EDIT: I think it comes with understanding any 1:1 remake in infinity engline will include some mistake in script files. Like how mod with edit of dispel magic in NWN2 affected prologue quest.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
As a fucking joke item.
Prove it.

It was a cursed item.
There was also a helm of alignment reversal in the game, and I would often use that on Kaigan the Dwarf—as a gift from the other party members to him. It made him compatible with the other party members when the general party alignment wasn't overtly evil.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On the BG:EE Wikipedia page Beamdog states they wanted to make a sequel to PST.

-The sheer fucking horror.

Just imagine for a moment *Amber Scott* having anything to do with PST.

Last edited:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I’m surprised no one has done a remake of IW2 in NWN2 yet. There’s remakes of BG1 and IW1, but not IW2.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Hypothetically it would be possible to remaster IW2 without the source code. I mean, they were able to do that for Bladerunner and Pharaoh. It would just add a lot of cost to the budget to reverse engineer the code. I would like to see it remastered/reverse-engineered so that I can play it on my current rig without running into compatibility issues.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hypothetically it would be possible to remaster IW2 without the source code. I mean, they were able to do that for Bladerunner and Pharaoh. It would just add a lot of cost to the budget to reverse engineer the code. I would like to see it remastered/reverse-engineered so that I can play it on my current rig without running into compatibility issues.

There is already that IWD2 EE fan project which seems to go further than most mods.

It's is closed beta right now, but sounds fairly promising.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

There is already that IWD2 EE fan project which seems to go further than most mods.

It's is closed beta right now, but sounds fairly promising.
You mean this?

It doesn't have any of the benefits of an enhanced edition. The UI and screen scaling is terrible.

Sykar

Arcane
Did they fix stealth?. :cool:
What exactly is broken with it?

Friendly reminder, this is the EE:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...-red-chimera-group-is-looking-for-playtesters

And as usual, modders gonna mod:
4iabpbpz5g0x.jpg

Nothing but pure :retarded:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Sykar It's a long running (long suffering for all involved) point I keep raising that stealth was broken in IWD2 and I was the only gamer in existance to notice it. The threads are out there to prove it.

So I was just wondering if this EE was on the IWD2 engine, and they were aware that stealth is broken.

I raised this with a modding community (I think it was the Gibberling3) and they eventually acknowledged it, looked into it, and found the checks were too high. One of the modders made a quick fix. But I haven't got around to checking it. He said it needed further work.

But another modder said it was working fine on GemRB. So if they ever get around to finishing that, it seems to be the place to go. Maybe.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
As a fucking joke item.

The real joke is that Beamdog introduced a tranny character into Siege of Dragonspear who complains about having struggled with its gender for a long time.

Like bro... just... go to a wizard, pay 100 bucks, get a sex change. And it's not even like those real world surgeries, the spell will turn you into a real actual woman.
How can you struggle with your gender when this kind of magic exists.
It's completely fucking stupid and shows the writers didn't even spend 5 minutes with the original game before pushing their agenda into the expansion.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
As a fucking joke item.

The real joke is that Beamdog introduced a tranny character into Siege of Dragonspear who complains about having struggled with its gender for a long time.

Like bro... just... go to a wizard, pay 100 bucks, get a sex change. And it's not even like those real world surgeries, the spell will turn you into a real actual woman.
How can you struggle with your gender when this kind of magic exists.
It's completely fucking stupid and shows the writers didn't even spend 5 minutes with the original game before pushing their agenda into the expansion.

After that whole debacle Trent Oster did an interview and stated some advice for other devlopers about people hijacking your game. He gave me the impression that he didn't know what she was writing until it was too late. Then it was revised a lot at the last minute, and they got Chris Avellone to ok it, and some feedback from one of the original BG writers.

That's how I remember it anyway. Wish I'd kept a link to the interview now. Anyway, it's still his fault for allowing her to write that. Although with all the nepotism and connections in the industry, maybe his hands were tied.

Edit: My mistake. Trent Oster is a cuck.
https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/beamdog-ceo-trent-oster-discusses-dragonspear-controversy "If someone hijacked your game and inserted their own agenda, something not approved by the company, you’ve got to figure out what to do from an internal management perspective. But if it’s representative of the company’s views, and you agree with it, you need to stand up and support that person."

DemonKing

Arcane
I remember that - it's literally the first thing the NPC says to you like any transgender person would say to some random they just met in the street.

Top notch writing.

laclongquan

Arcane
Sykar It's a long running (long suffering for all involved) point I keep raising that stealth was broken in IWD2 and I was the only gamer in existance to notice it. The threads are out there to prove it.

So I was just wondering if this EE was on the IWD2 engine, and they were aware that stealth is broken.

I raised this with a modding community (I think it was the Gibberling3) and they eventually acknowledged it, looked into it, and found the checks were too high. One of the modders made a quick fix. But I haven't got around to checking it. He said it needed further work.

But another modder said it was working fine on GemRB. So if they ever get around to finishing that, it seems to be the place to go. Maybe.
Not the only one. But it doesnt need fixing for reasons you dont care to know about.

Technically, yeah, the damn checks are too high. So a solo sneak player wont be able to solo the whole game.

OTOH, IWD2 is a very tough tactical game. Solo the whole game is a ridiculous notion. T.A.C.T.I.C.A.L. Can you spell it? It is by designed should be played with a many-members party, and difficulty get rebalanced around that concept.

Thus among the few loudmouth gamers left of this game, the support for fixing this should-be-barely-used feature is very low to begin with. If you cant convince us that it's a needed feature, we wouldnt be screaming about it need fixing in places frequented by IWD2 modders.

Does sneak fixing? Not that desperately. Does it work? Yes, very. A solo scout can sneak ahead to recon the terrain and enemies placement, then use bow/crossbow/throwing weapons to draw the far-off sentries back to our prepared battlefield, then we kill them before the rest straggling/swarming in. Assassination behind enemy lines is right the fuck out, with a few very rare exception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom