Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is MotB worth it...

Dumb Bitch

Educated
Trithne said:
PS:T combat sucks. JRPGs have better combat. Saying you can just avoid combat doesn't change the fact that it sucks.
Define 'sucks', define 'JRPG combat'. PST is one of the Codex's favorite games. If you want to start a viable discussion regarding its flaws, you'll have to do better than saying 'lots of shit combat, it sucks'.

Trithne said:
It also doesn't make the game pacifist. A pacifist game is one where there's no combat, or one where combat is actively discouraged. PS:T spams combat at you for no good reason all the damn time.
Define 'all the damn time'. Provide examples. At least 2/3rds of the game have no enemies that attack you on sight, and you can easily sneak past areas with hostile creatures anyway. It's a viable method, the game was designed with it in mind.

Trithne said:
Also, requests for a more pacifistic RPG were made and no-one brought up Fallout? Which you actually CAN complete without killing anyone? Mind you, even there you have to run away from crazed enemies out for your blood.
It is a good example, although peaceful solutions in Fallout more often than not entail skipping large portions of content. In PST you actually get more XP/content for a peaceful solution.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Erebus said:
DriacKin said:
At least Avellone has the honesty to admit that the game wasn't really all that deep and pretty light compared to most fantasy novels.

If he actually said this, it only suggests that he hasn't read a lot of fantasy novels or that he's been amazingly lucky in his picks.
That being said, it's a mistake to compare Torment to a novel. It's a computer game, it doesn't work the same way, even with regards to the scenario.

I'm starting to hate this infamous quote by now. If you guys had followed Avellone for longer than it takes to look this quote up, you would know that the guy is very modest. It seems to me, he doesn't like talking about his games or writing, despite that he is by far the best writer in the whole video game industry and has produced Kreia, Ravel, Kaelyn e.t.c. who are (arguably) some of the most nuanced and interesting characters in video game history. The guy keeps pushing the envelope for writing in the industry with every game he makes, and to top it all off, he doesn't act like fucking Cliffy B about it, but I guess that's what the Codex wants since you guys take every chance you get to use this god damn quote out of context to downplay his work.

Also, requests for a more pacifistic RPG were made and no-one brought up Fallout? Which you actually CAN complete without killing anyone? Mind you, even there you have to run away from crazed enemies out for your blood.

Yes, but then we have the "skipping most of the game" thing Skyway was talking about

DriacKin

Arbiter
Emotional Vampire said:
Thanks for ruining my interesting thread, shitheads

What was ever interesting about it? You were asking a question that's already been answered several times by the Codex hivemind. Most Codexers enjoyed MotB. End of Thread.
What was ever interesting about that?

felicity

Scholar
I replayed MOTB, with a few conditions set to limit myself, it was more fun than my first play through. If you want challenging combat, don't use the crafting system, it completely ruins the balance. Craft only weapons if you must, but no better than +6 enhancment and 3d8 damage. MOTB crafting allows you to craft 3d12 +10 weapons, which is ridiculously overpowered even for epic levels.

The power gap between min-maxed builds and 'RP' builds is significant only in adventure designed for solo or a small (2-3) party, where there is often just one man for each specific task. A small team has less tactical flexibility so a few points difference in builds will go a long way. In larger party player has more and better tricks in their disposal, in which case good tactics and team work always win. And then there are retard-proof efficient builds that you have to be the Queen of Roleplay to screw up (Bard/RDD, Wizard, Cleric, FTR/WM).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Emotional Vampire said:
I asked if MotB is still worth it when you consider you should play NWN2 OC before it.

We've had this discussion several times, too.
The answer is shut the fuck up and make your own goddamn decisions.

Silellak

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
I asked if MotB is still worth it when you consider you should play NWN2 OC before it.

Yes, and we told you to just play MotB already and stop being such a whiny cunt by insisting that you have to play the OC first because "waaaah starting with a level 20 character doesn't feel right."

The discussion's moved on since then because you already got your answer and it was a stupid fucking question in the first place, and because the Codex can't go a week without debating whether or Torment is FUCKING AMAZING or just kinda alright.

Silellak said:
Emotional Vampire said:

Yes, and we told you to just play MotB already and stop being such a whiny cunt by insisting that you have to play the OC first because "waaaah starting with a level 20 character doesn't feel right."

Watch your bowels buddy, or you'll shit yourself from your trolling efforts. MotB takes place after NWN2 OC, so it's obvious you should at least know what the fuck said OC was about. I guess you're just one of the dungeon-crawling Codex faggots who don't give a fuck about anything as long as they can just fireball shit around.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
You have a piece of a magic sword in your chest. Te sword was once used to stop King of Shadows but he will be summoned again. You use the sword to kill him.

One of the characters that helped you in battle was Amon Jerro who spent his whole life preparing to fight the King. Searching for him you found his granddaughter who joined your party. When you found Jerro's secret fortress, he attacked you and killed his relative.

Other one was Bishop, an opportunistic ranger that betrayed you at the end of the game.

That is even more than you need to know about the OC. Now go play MoTB.

Wulfstand

Prophet
You forgot to mention the fact that you have sex with the druidess on the the walls of your keep before the big siege-battle.
That way you'll know not to meddle with that bold red wizardes (even tho she looks p. good, I don't see how anyone would hit a bold bitch)

Silellak

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Silellak said:
Emotional Vampire said:

Watch your bowels buddy, or you'll shit yourself from your trolling efforts. MotB takes place after NWN2 OC, so it's obvious you should at least know what the fuck said OC was about. I guess you're just one of the dungeon-crawling Codex faggots who don't give a fuck about anything as long as they can just fireball shit around.

No, in fact, I played the NWN2 OC and actually enjoyed it, but my standards are notoriously lower than your typical Codexer. In case you hadn't noticed, the "dungeon-crawling Codex faggots" don't care too much for MotB, because it pretty much fails horribly at that whole "dungeon-crawling" thing. The "C&C/story/characters Codex faggots", like me, are the ones who spooge all over MotB. Which is why the level you start at is pretty much irrelevant - the combat portions are 'meh' at best, made even more 'meh' by the shittiness that is Epic-level DnD. It's sort of Ultima VII in that regard - the combat is just something you tolerate so you can get to the good stuff.

Now, make up your fucking mind, do you not want to play MotB because of story reasons, or because you don't like starting with a level 20 character, like you originally claimed? MotB doesn't have any detailed links to the NWN2 OC story; if you know the basics, which you can read up on anywhere, then you're fine. It's not worth playing through a game you don't like just to be up-to-date on the story.

Games are about having fun. Don't torture yourself for 20-30 hours just so you can feel "right" when you start MotB. On the other hand, if you think you might actually enjoy the NWN2 OC, then just fucking start a game and see if you like it.

Silellak said:
Now, make up your fucking mind, do you not want to play MotB because of story reasons, or because you don't like starting with a level 20 character, like you originally claimed?['/quote]

Both :idort: :oops:

Silellak

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Silellak said:
Now, make up your fucking mind, do you not want to play MotB because of story reasons, or because you don't like starting with a level 20 character, like you originally claimed?

Both :idort: :oops:

Then both of my answers apply.

1. Starting as level 20 in MotB doesn't matter because the combat is stupid and trivial, and not the point of playing the game.

2. Play NWN2 OC only if you think you'll enjoy it. There's nothing in it which makes it a requirement story-wise.

Quilty

Magister
I tried playing the OC before motb. That was my first encounter with NWN2.

I will be called a faggot for saying this, but I couldn't enjoy the game (which seemed pretty ok) because of the fucking camera.

So, I decided to just skip the OC and play Motb, a game I heard awesome things about.

It turned out motb has the same camera.

Everything ended in tears. :cry:

Project: Eternity
I don't get it, what is it that people find so problematic with the camera in NWN2? That never bothered me at all really. I use the the X key to go into turn mode and that's that.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The camera's fine if you're willing to spend about 2 minutes fucking with the options. Some people apparently aren't.

Yeah, I think you can make it better in the options (a thing which everyone should mess with first thing, in any game), and even when I didn't, all I had to do was nudge it in the direction I wanted, nothing hair-splitting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom