Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is MotB worth it...

...considering I will need to play NWN2 original campaign first?

Imbecile

Arbiter
Well firstly you don't need to play the original campaign to play MOTB. Secondly the original campaign isn't that bad, its just very, very average. And thirdly, yeah - its worth it.

Imbecile said:
Well firstly you don't need to play the original campaign to play MOTB.

I know that, but just starting with 20+ level character out of nowhere would be pretty gay.

My copy of MotB is still in the plastic wrap and has been for some time. Does it require an installation of NWN 2? I can’t recall, but I'm not going back there again. Never. It's a dark place. It hurt me. It molested my sensibilities. There's no way that dirty crap is even going on my PC again.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
@EmoVamp

It really is worth it. I'm pretty sure you're not going to be disappointed.

@MAF

Yes it does require an installation of NWN2

Thanks Lockkaliber, I think it's eBay for my MotB copy then. No idea what happen to my NWN 2 disks. I may have used them as coffee coasters in an attempt to claw back some of their purchase value.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Emotional Vampire said:
Imbecile said:

I know that, but just starting with 20+ level character out of nowhere would be pretty gay.

Play the OC for a few hours until you get bored of it. Then, after you've gotten familiar with the game mechanics, start the MotB campaign.

Dionysus

Scholar
Right now, you can get NWN2 Gold for <30 USD, which is a fair price IMO.

I didn't find either game to be great, but MotB had a setting that didn't feel totally generic, which was nice.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Emotional Vampire
Personally i think Mask of the Betrayer is not worth it. The plot is weird and stuff and thingies, but the gameplay sucks so very much there is totally no sense in making it a role playing game. Maybe an adventure game or something would have been better, there were good ideas and stuff in there, but it is totally meh as a game.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It's still a piece of shit, regardless of whether you played NWN2 beforehand or not.

It has the most terrible of user interfaces ever imaginable. A camera that constantly gets stuck behind walls, blinding you completely from what matters (something that games from the early 3D era managed to fix, but obsidian isn't competent enough). Because of this, the player has to expend 80% of his/her/itz time readjusting the camera to get a more favorable angle. There's also the awful user interface that features an irremovable delay whenever you right click to open the submenus to issue all kinds of actions. A delay that initially was not adjustable, and only after many patches was given the option to reduce the delay, but not completely remove it!. Way to go, Obsidian.

On top of all that, add a realtime with pause system that features the worst AI ever conceived (beating Crysis). So you end up with a game that is not turn based, yet requires you to manually control all your party in the clumsiest way possible.

Yes, MotB is now a joy to play, isn't it?

Silellak

Cipher
racofer said:
I AM VERY ANGRY ABOUT NWN2!!!!!!!!

Cool story, bro.

EV: Just fucking play MotB and see what you think for yourself. If you insist on burning another 20-30 hours on the NWN2 OC just because starting at level 20 is "pretty gay", that's your own retarded decision. I wish I had that kind of free time to kill.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Emotional Vampire said:
Imbecile said:

Jesus christ that comment was the worst thing I ever read today thanks a lot

Pegultagol

Erudite
MOTB is alright, considering all that is wrong with NWN2. It may not solve every qualm one might have with the original, but probably mods can help you with that somewhat in AI and party controls. I don't recommend going through NWN2 just for MOTB, though, what with specious little that pertains to the original game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Epic levels from DND3.5 - what the fuck were they thinking? It will feel like you are eternally stuck at lvl20 throughout the whole game. Not to mention the lack of balance and combat. I wish MotB would've been a separate game at least starting at lvl1.

Vibalist

Arcane
All game mechanics aside, it's an amazing game. The amount of C&C, the story, the characters. Codexer dream come true.

Kron

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
It will feel like you are eternally stuck at lvl20 throughout the whole game
This, and:
epic lvl gnolls
epic lvl shops
In fact, it doesn't feel like you're lvl 20+ at all, every enemy you'll face will be about challenge rating 20 or more, which I find to be disturbing and boring. Where are all the mediocre adventurers, pathetic monsters that should be around? At least for the sake of realism or atmosphere there should be some.
Baldurs Gate, though not a good game, comes to mind in that sense.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vibalist said:
All game mechanics aside, it's an amazing game. The amount of C&C, the story, the characters. Codexer dream come true.
This.

And if you complain about the OC, be sure to complain about BG series in the same sentence. Since they're essentially on the same level.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
Is MotB worth it, considering I will need to play NWN2 original campaign first?

Is it a compulsive thing? If you feel forced to play the oc, I'd say it isn't worth it. If you share my hatred for the engine, it's not worth playing MotB at all.

EDIT: Oh, and you might want to pick up Baldur's Gate 1/2 again, just for the heck of it. You'll probably feel more comfortable doing that, than playing NWN2.

The dialogue, exploration, puzzles, C&C, music, VO, and art design are all quite good. The backbone game engine is terrible. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but MOTB is as close to Kate Spade as you're going to get out of the NWN2 engine. I still think the appropriate way to play is to hack yourself great loot and lots of gold so that you never have to go through the tedium of loot grinding on enemies (collecting and organizing items is an endless drag).

Multi-headed Cow

MotB is shit do not buy do not play avoid at all costs.

Addendum: Just read Racofer's post. Imagine my post is the same as his only with more shitty NWN2 things in it like the awful spell effects and the awful inventory and GOD DAMN IT.

Zomg

Arbiter
It's weird that no one in the thread has said, "If you like PS:T, then probably."

Edit - Wait, play the OC? Don't do that.

Dionysus

Scholar
Zomg said:
It's weird that no one in the thread has said, "If you like PS:T, then probably."
It's not weird. Torment was different and much better.

Pseudofool

Scholar
You can play any number of modules to get your character to level 20 w/o having to suffer through the OC--which as others have said is just average, not bad, and has some nice moments. If you can make it through the first act of the OC, the game improves a lot (or I thought it did).

Alternatively you can get your character to whatever level you can manage in any module and just level him/her up for MotB.

Zomg

Arbiter
@Dionysus: You can go finer with the criticism, but there are dudes in the thread that don't get out of bed for anything but Wizardry and JA2 offering opinions. It's the same mini-genre at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom