Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland inXile's Wasteland 1 Re-Release

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Willing to bet your yarmulke it's not DOSBox?

Seriously, stop sucking inXile's dick. It's not an offense if someone says they used DOSBox. Jesus fuck.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"High-res" portraits were a waste of time. They should have done just one, realized it was fucking ugly, and not bothered doing any others.

The filter is also terribad.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So hey, updating our options menu in real time based on feedback!

Ieu6LSt.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Definitely not DOSBox. :roll:

Cool to see the option to turn smoothing off. Nobody should be forced to play with that on. :brodex:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously, stop sucking inXile's dick. It's not an offense if someone says they used DOSBox. Jesus fuck.

I'm not defending them, just looking to score another "I told you so" in the future. :troll: Of course, if I'm wrong, you get it instead!

Stabwound

Arcane
Well, that was an awful idea to have the filter on by default anyway, so glad that's an option.

On this note, would it be possible to make the other graphics moddable besides just the portraits? Since it seems as though it's being updated to support any type of image it would be cool if they went all out and made the other aspects of the game's graphics moddable as well. Maybe too much to ask for, though. I wouldn't expect an overhaul of everything, but the ability for the fan community to do it would be nice.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
This seems so half-assed - all we needed were the paragraphs in-game and none of those other additions, filters, etc. I'm glad we can turn them off. Music is a nice idea but it will be incongruous with the pixel art - should have gone chip-tune... SID, Tandy 1000 3-voice, or Adlib.

But I don't want to seem ungrateful, I'm glad they're re-releasing it after all.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Brother None - so only one MM track?
For WL1, yes, just one.

On this note, would it be possible to make the other graphics moddable besides just the portraits? Since it seems as though it's being updated to support any type of image it would be cool if they went all out and made the other aspects of the game's graphics moddable as well. Maybe too much to ask for, though.
We'll see. We're prioritizing allowing the options for portraits and even that's not a definite yet, we can look at other things in the future though.

Skunkpew

Augur
I have no problem at all with updating the portraits for those who want them, but the old portraits were the best graphical aspects of the original game. Who are the players who'd want to update the portraits, yet then still be satisfied playing through the rest of the game and its simplistic graphics?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Yeah, it uses DOSBox for core functionality. It was customized and optimized especially for Wasteland, and launches inside the game when you run the executable. Think of it as old core components of an OS running inside a new shell when a new version comes out, so we use it but it's not just a DOSBox wrapper.
Will there be also a Linux version?

Also, what about moddability? Will it have externalized data? If yes, to what extent?
Currently it's possible to mod Wasteland using Wasteland suite.
My copy of WL is modded to reduce encounter frequency, has PCs start with assault rifles, has stronger enemies, etc.

Stabwound

Arcane
I hacked this together in mspaint. Obviously it's not real and I couldn't find a shot of the real ranger HQ, but it gives an idea of what it will look like in-game. It actually doesn't look that bad in the menu, but it might be a little jarring alongside the rest of the map tiles.

xeBJP5H.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I hacked this together in mspaint. Obviously it's not real and I couldn't find a shot of the real ranger HQ, but it gives an idea of what it will look like in-game. It actually doesn't look that bad in the menu, but it might be a little jarring alongside the rest of the map tiles.

xeBJP5H.png
It's still low-detailed for it's resolution. Creature sprites in WL were as detailed as the resolution permitted.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, they're certainly no Wasteland 2 portraits, that's for sure. This new one is literally the old portrait blown up and painted over; they match up identically. They obviously aren't a high quality job but cartoony kind of fits in with the feel of the original. It's hard to say how they'll look animated, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh jeez, right, the Wasteland portraits were animated. 1k posts says these new ones won't be.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Yeah, they're certainly no Wasteland 2 portraits, that's for sure. This new one is literally the old portrait blown up and painted over; they match up identically. They obviously aren't a high quality job but cartoony kind of fits in with the feel of the original. It's hard to say how they'll look animated, though.
Well, not really. The original had feel of high quality work limited by technology. This one just looks half-assed.

:decline: You can use better ones than smoothing filter, guys.

bwFnR5t.png
Is there a Dosbox filter that can do something like this?

Midair

Learned
So hey, updating our options menu in real time based on feedback!

What about aspect ratio correction (aspect=true in dosbox)? This will make everything the correct proportions, including character portraits assuming they were painted over the originals.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is fucking sweet! Music and all the full text. I have the version that came with the Ultima RPG Archives, but it would occasionally lock up on me in DOSBox. :/

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
About the paragraph issue: I still have my original manual bitches.
:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom