Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland inXile's Wasteland 1 Re-Release

An improved interface could be made to work through a frontend without altering the original game, if they put in the effort. I'm hopeful.

They may have been something legally objectionable in the game files, like the Hot Coffee stuff in GTA:SA.

Not likely back in 90s. Speaking of which, does GTA:SA come without the Hot Coffee stuff if you buy it digitally now?

Name

Cipher
Are they adding background music? I think it has only two tunes now, one for title screen and one for upgrading.
Sometimes some of the portraits are reused for very distinct enemies (animals mostly), are they improving that?
I too hope they can patch the text into the game itself.
And add resting function lol. If they are using dosbox they may also have to implement the workaround for dosbox shortkeys conflicting with macros.
Glad they are putting some effort in it. Just hope the new version is stable.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yes, the "look it up" text should be patched in. That is crucial, and it would make it the definite version of Wasteland. And I have a feeling they will not do that.

Johannes

Arcane
Reworking portraits is potentially very bad. Including all the text inside the game proper, would be a great thing though.

Name

Cipher
If they can not patch in the text, they could also work out a "companion application"/plug-in, integrating it into the whole release so you can look it up directly on screen or something like that.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This is the reason, your toys wont be successful. Its not about content!
None cares about the sources for some abortion from a million years ago.
But Infinispam will repost it approx 10 times more and some manchild will burn away some perfectly good barter goods on it...

169nko1.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think we can all agree that there are improvements that can be made:

1. Add the text from the Wasteland Paragraphs
2. More animations, instead of re-using the same animations. That feral dog looks just like that mutated dog!
3. Make all NPC's stand out so you don't inadvertently kill one, maybe they have NPC:ACE or whatever next to their name
4. Music, and more spot on music such as the guy playing "Lady of Spain". I always thought, well hell, he says he's playing it, but I don't hear anything.
5. Voice acting. That kid Billy and the dog? I always wanted to hear him. The game always seemed incomplete.
6. The "Temple of Blood" is supposed to be grim and dark. The game just had text to describe the horror. No, I want cut-scenes, bloom kinda lighting coming over a lake of blood, that kind of crap. Locations with more video and music to make the game more darker.
7. Change it so that players can't permanently die unless everyone dies, and player health regenerates between fights to max in a few minutes.
8. There should be a "Speech" skill that allows players to talk their way out of everything, instead of having to have Head Crusher's or the Hobo Camp password. That was a big pain, just let me put some points in "Talk" or whatever, and let me move on.
9. Save anywhere, multiple save slots, and more do overs.
10. Only one type of ammo, called "Gun Ammo" or whatever. Maybe a laser gun ammo called "Laser Gun Ammo." This would cut down on the 37 types of ammo.
11. Get rid of canteens. This caught me every time I played this crummy game.
12. Auto level up. I have to call in to raise a level? What?!
13. Get rid of skills that are barely used. Toaster repair, helicopter, and others are one shot things. Everything should be equally useful.
14. That game always needed an achievement called "Someone set us up the bomb". Make it so! That game is perfect for something like that!

Yeah, they should totally fix this old game, try to bring it up to today's standards.

Last edited:

Name

Cipher
Such as a PDF reader.
It needs alt-tabing and ctrl+F, duh.

2. More animations, instead of re-using the same animations. That feral dog looks just like that mutated dog!
3. Make all NPC's stand out so you don't inadvertently kill one, maybe they have NPC:ACE or whatever next to their name
4. Music, and more spot on music such as the guy playing "Lady of Spain". I always thought, well hell, he says he's playing it, but I don't hear anything.
5. Voice acting. That kid Billy and the dog? I always wanted to hear him. The game always seemed incomplete.
6. The "Temple of Blood" is supposed to be grim and dark. The game just had text to describe the horror. No, I want cut-scenes, bloom kinda lighting coming over a lake of blood, that kind of crap. Locations with more video and music to make the game more darker.
7. Change it so that players can't permanently die unless everyone dies, and player health regenerates between fights to max in a few minutes.
8. There should be a "Speech" skill that allows players to talk their way out of everything, instead of having to have Head Crusher's or the Hobo Camp password. That was a big pain, just let me put some points in "Talk" or whatever, and let me move on.
10. Only one type of ammo, called "Gun Ammo" or whatever. Maybe a laser gun ammo called "Laser Gun Ammo." This would cut down on the 37 types of ammo.
13. Get rid of skills that are barely used. Toaster repair, helicopter, and others are one shot things. Everything should be equally useful.
14. That game always needed an achievement called "Someone set us up the bomb". Make it so! That game is perfect for something like that!

Yeah, they should totally fix this old game, try to bring it up to today's standards.

Nice try, 7,8,10,11 should be moved down a bit. No, get rid of 7 or make it the last one.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's only so much time that should be dedicated to gimmicks like these - the first game's interface REALLY didn't age well, and how many backers are REALLY going to bother replaying it?
This is the reason, your toys wont be successful. Its not about content!
None cares about the sources for some abortion from a million years ago.
But Infinispam will repost it approx 10 times more and some manchild will burn away some perfectly good barter goods on it...

Fuck off, drog.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I hate that because I will feel obligated to complete Wasteland 1 before I touch Wasteland 2.

This, my friends, is the reason I never even started the Wizardry series.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Aaaah!!

What I'd love them to do is introduce some actual new content. Things that had to be cut for whatever reason, maybe some new NPCs, dialogue, secrets, easter eggs, etc.

Fixing the bugs - like the one where shops disappear or getting glitch-stuck when using the helicopter - would be appreciated too.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
All I want them to patch in is the text from the manual and weapon stats. Then, I can make a heroic attempt to play W1 before W2's release and fail because of random encounter grinding, which I hate.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Surprising (?) how many people here haven't played it. I really think it's an easy game to play compared to many from that time.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brother None, speaking of "extras" like the original Wasteland... will I have to wait months after the release of W2 to get my DOOMSDAY PREPARATION SURVIVAL KIT tier reward and will the game come in a teeny tiny not-even-close-to-old-school box like Shadowrun Returns did?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom